Head Coach Candidate: Frank Reich

The Steelers as an organization are a whole different bag.

True; a lot more institutional stability.

But I do like the tomlin example. They go out and get a bright leader, and pair him with their vet DC. I think they hired tomlin based on his leadership skills alone.

I am not saying Reich is our guy, but just am wondering whether having lots of coaching experience is overrated.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I agree that Reich may not be ready, I think there's something noteworthy that some folks are missing:

Being a HC isn't necessarily about having an Xs and Os mastery or excelling in any one area. Perhaps te most significant trait is being able to lead--and to pick the right staff.

When I look at Reich's strengths, I consider them to be communication, intelligence, and other intangibles that lend themselves to building a team.

IF he can surround himself with great assistants--and he's be halfway by keeping the defensive coaches--I think he can do the job.

Sorry, but you didn't. Frank is beloved for the comeback but he has only 7 years of coaching experience in the NFL, no matter how good a man or organizer he is, players would not feel secure if he is hired to lead them.

1) He has demonstrated an ability to prepare for games both as a player (comeback game) and as a coach;

2) He is well respected by players and coaches (haven't heard any nonsense about ego);

3) By your own admission he has 7 years of coaching experience...4 more than Doug and Hackett combined;

4) Pegula likes him;

5) He's a Christian so maybe the curse will be reversed.

Go Frank!!

But I do like the tomlin example. They go out and get a bright leader, and pair him with their vet DC. I think they hired tomlin based on his leadership skills alone.

I am not saying Reich is our guy, but just am wondering whether having lots of coaching experience is overrated.

Tomlin is exactly the guy I was thinking of

I don't know whether Reich would be the best choice for HC, but I do think he would be an upgrade over Marrone. Here's why:

1. He knows how passionate the fans are and how important the team is to the community.

2. If in fact Polian is hired they would have a good working relationship unlike the relationship between Marrone and Whaley.

3. He would have the support of former players and I'm sure they would be there for him if he needed any help.

4. He is offensive minded.

5. He's not a quitter, which became evident when he led the team to the greatest comeback of all time.

Sorry, but you didn't. Frank is beloved for the comeback but he has only 7 years of coaching experience in the NFL, no matter how good a man or organizer he is, players would not feel secure if he is hired to lead them.

Never said I made an argument that he should be coach; just said an argument as to why there is some logic that could be applied. Only 7 years of NFL coaching? What would you call the minimum? 10? 100?

Who do I think should be coach? I really don't claim to know. I could see Reich being very successful or very much like the Lafontaine move, albeit with a different personality. He could be Harbaugh with staying power or Mularkey. I could see Cowher as Vermeil or Gibbs. Schwartz could be Bellichick with his second chance or one of the million flops.

1) He has demonstrated an ability to prepare for games both as a player (comeback game) and as a coach;

As was Marrone and a lot of players/coaches before him.

2) He is well respected by players and coaches (haven't heard any nonsense about ego);

Being respected and having no ego, there are so many people that fit in this criteria, that it would take a day or to fill up a list. As Kelly the Dog asked a few pages behind, what are the systems he implemented, was he doing the gameplans or was a yes man to McCoy.

3) By your own admission he has 7 years of coaching experience...4 more than Doug and Hackett combined;

Before joining the Bills Marrone had 21 years of coaching experience, Hackett 10 years. Up to that point (2013) Frank had 5 year of total coaching experience

4) Pegula likes him;

5) He's a Christian so maybe the curse will be reversed.

Irrelevant to his coaching experience or credentials to do good job as HC.

Go Frank!!

Indeed, go Frank, moreso if we make him our coach, which I will support but with so many doubts.

Serious question...why all the Reich desire? Is it just because he was a former Bill?

1 He has virtually no relevant experience to be a HC...

2 He was an OC one year and his offense wasn't very good

3 This team needs a proven leader, something Reich has yet to do

Nothing against him, but I don't get it. He could be great, but he's proven nothing...I don't want to hire a coach on a "hunch" he might be good at it because people like him. I want to hire a coach who has proven he can lead a team, make a significant impact, and command respect. Maybe as an OC, but please no as HC. Like I said, doesn't mean he will be a bad HC, but I don't want to roll the dice with a team that is this close to being playoff relevant again.

I love Frank as a person. If I had a daughter, I would want him as my son in law. He isn't a HC IMO. Can't quantify it. Just don't feel he has the leadership skills. Wouldn't loose it if they got him but would quickly be on him when questionable stuff started to occur.

I don't know whether Reich would be the best choice for HC, but I do think he would be an upgrade over Marrone. Here's why:

1. He knows how passionate the fans are and how important the team is to the community.

2. If in fact Polian is hired they would have a good working relationship unlike the relationship between Marrone and Whaley.

3. He would have the support of former players and I'm sure they would be there for him if he needed any help.

4. He is offensive minded.

5. He's not a quitter, which became evident when he led the team to the greatest comeback of all time.

I don't need a coach who can appease the fans I need a coach that can coach. I don't want Reich because he loves Buffalo. I want a HC because he loves to win. I don't need someone who is besties with former players or former players who think they should have a line in because of an old connection. I don't need a former backup to be answering to his starter.

There are a lot of concerns about Reich bring here.

I agree that experience is overrated. Especially NFL experience. All great coaches are not cut from the same cloth.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

I don't need a coach who can appease the fans I need a coach that can coach. I don't want Reich because he loves Buffalo. I want a HC because he loves to win. I don't need someone who is besties with former players or former players who think they should have a line in because of an old connection. I don't need a former backup to be answering to his starter.

There are a lot of concerns about Reich bring here.

I didn't say I wanted him to be HC either. I only said I believe he would be an upgrade over Marrone.

The liberal media threw 4 touchdowns in the second half against the Oilers in 1993??

That's what I'm telling you. No this was an attempt at humor as yesterday the OP cited the liberal media as the reason the public had formulated a negative opinion of Adrian Peterson after beating his son.

What makes you think he can do that? What has he ever done that makes you believe that? He has never been in charge of anything.

Not to mention that Marv letting people do their jobs and not stepping in and demanding more is what cost the Bills all four Super Bowls.

I disagree. I think the defense was flawed against powerful dominant run games - as were in vogue in the NFC at the time. The Giants won time of possession and the game because the Bills's D couldn't get off the field. The Bills' D was built to play with a lead and they did that well with a tremendous smothering pass rush, but when going against bigger NFC OLs and runners without the lead, they struggled.

In retrospect, that D would have been perfect for today's pass oriented NFL.

That's what I'm telling you. No this was an attempt at humor as yesterday the OP cited the liberal media as the reason the public had formulated a negative opinion of Adrian Peterson after beating his son.

Got it, and I must have missed that. I was out fishin' most of the day yesterday.

If Frank Reich is head coach, and with Nolan coach of the Sabres, what will the media do ? They already refuse to criticize Nolan over lousy teams last year and this, will this be another lovefest regardless of team success or failure? Who will Sullivan criticize every week?

I disagree. I think the defense was flawed against powerful dominant run games - as were in vogue in the NFC at the time. The Giants won time of possession and the game because the Bills's D couldn't get off the field. The Bills' D was built to play with a lead and they did that well with a tremendous smothering pass rush, but when going against bigger NFC OLs and runners without the lead, they struggled.

In retrospect, that D would have been perfect for today's pass oriented NFL.

The defense was loaded with talented playmakers across the board and played a react instead of attack defense, which was ridiculous. IMO and many, many others, Corey was the sole reason we lost four. He should have been gone years before but Marv was too loyal to him. A decent DC on that team with Bruce and Bennett and Talley and Hansen all of the other guys would have dominated.

Edited by Kelly the Dog