Head Coach Candidate: Frank Reich

Good lord this scares me most of all! Why in the world would Terry Pegula, first year owner with no football experience prior to now, presume enough to hire a head coach! The fact that he is even going on the interviews scares me!

I suspect this is all just a prelude to promoting Schwartz to HC however.

I expect that Whaley is interviewing from more of a football side of things, and Pegula is interviewing for organizational fit.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Living in MD. The Ravens took a shot on a special teams coach 6 years ago. I think it worked out pretty well.

Exactly. Good coaches like good QBs are hard to find and can come from most anywhere. Few of the very good head coaches were great when they were hired... you take a chance and hope for the best. Reich is the kind of human being that inspires confidence.

I expect that Whaley is interviewing from more of a football side of things, and Pegula is interviewing for organizational fit.

I suppose Whaley would be better for that as well. But I guess if the HC is going to report directly to Pegula (why I still do not know) then I guess he should be part of the interview process?

I suppose Whaley would be better for that as well. But I guess if the HC is going to report directly to Pegula (why I still do not know) then I guess he should be part of the interview process?

Yes, he should be. As well as Kim. I think in the regular business world it would normally be that Whaley would do the 1st rd and make recommendations on the 2nd rd who would then meet with the owner. But this is unique and these candidates don't have time for that, might as well fly the jet around the country and get it all done now.

What do people think about the Bucky Gleason article on Reich? I am still not sure he is the best choice, but it is an interesting argument. Basically that his leadership qualities make him the right choice.

Actually, his leadership and communication skills are the assets of his that I'm most comfortable with...I've said all along that if he can surround himself with a good play-caller and good position coaches, as well as a sound defensive staff (which we already have), I think he'll be an excellent head coach.

Also, Pegula could be telling the coaches about the future of the franchise...new stadium, practice facilities....stability of the franchise.....etc

I have a hunch Reich will be the coach. Just a hunch. He's the anti-Marrone -- not a swearer/shouter, not a mercenary, and not a college HC-control freak. Organizations often hire the opposite of the person who just left in a storm of controversy.

I'm leaning that way as well. Pegs seems to highly value past players (i.e., what the Sabres are doing) and may be biased toward bring back Frank.

The biggest worry I would have with that, however, is how much of a network Reich has with potential position coaches he would bring in, assuming they let a number of the current offensive staff go...

I'm warming to the idea of Reich as the next HC as long as he can retain Schwartz. Reich doesn't have much coaching experience but from what I have read he is a leader, organizer and motivator. 3 very big assets that any HC needs to have. Schwartz runs the D and keep the defensive staff. Find a good OC and staff let Reich manage it.

When needed some of the most honest and brutal people I have ever encountered are highly religious people.

I'm warming to the idea of Reich as the next HC as long as he can retain Schwartz. Reich doesn't have much coaching experience but from what I have read he is a leader, organizer and motivator. 3 very big assets that any HC needs to have. Schwartz runs the D and keep the defensive staff. Find a good OC and staff let Reich manage it.

When needed some of the most honest and brutal people I have ever encountered are highly religious people.

Well, in the sports arena everyone seems to always be thanking jesus for everything, so I don't see how Reich's theology is an issue...

I think its pretty simple if they hire Reich.

They keep Schwartz as DC but also promote him to assistant HC

CBF

I agree. The only concern would be to make sure Schwartz is onboard. He may not be thrilled being passed over as HC by someone less experienced, but I have got to think that he loves coaching this defense.