Doug Marrone opts out of contract

The Poojer

Claiming Marrone is unintelligent is straight talk? He just walked away with 4 mil for nothing and will have another HC job with more organizational control ASAP. Frankly, it was brilliant. :eyeroll:

Right!? He has experience and is in demand and he is banking it! good for him! Why wouldn't he want to caoch the Jets? That is more his hometown dream than Buffalo. He is from there! Good for him! Hopefully we will continue to upgrade at Coach, as he, was our last upgrade.

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without a Schwartz promotion, our defensive window with this scheme is short. Unless Pep/Henderson can do the job.

there are many coaches that use the principals, and additionally the group had a lot if success under pettine. I'm optimistic that they can play very diverse schemes if the front 4 stay healthy

there are many coaches that use the principals, and additionally the group had a lot if success under pettine. I'm optimistic that they can play very diverse schemes if the front 4 stay healthy

Schwartz did a great job. Having said that, just as I think HC of the Buffalo Bills is a very attractive position, being DC of the Bills has got to be a very attractive position as well with the talent that we have on defense.

Marrone wanted guarantee's he wasn't going to be canned this season knowing someone, Polian or whomever would be coming onboard as football czar and Pegula rightfully so didn't make any promises, so he takes the "high road" and cashes in but in reality he was going to get paid anyway for 2015. So it is a "win win" for PEgula, Polian and Marrone. His reputation remains intact, neither Pegula or Polian have to play the heavy handed role. Only rest of coaching staff is negatively affected. Works out for everyone as if it were planned. No Doug isn't that smart but Pegula is ask BonJovi!!!!

F U Marrone and the horse you rode in on. If he had any guts he would have waited until he was fired. I hope he wakes up tomorrow with no job offers as head coach and has to go crawling back to a 2 bit college like Syracuse (nothing against the Orange, it just isn't big time football. Here's to the Bills getting a quality head coach (one can dream).

This works out well for Marrone. He gets to keep his $4 mil, one of these head coaching vacancies will pick him up (just read all of the insider reports), he'll double dip, etc.

The part that concerns me is will Schwartz and the defensive assistants and special teams coaches also leave as they put together two very good units. Probably yes, and we are rebuilding again!

I hope Polian gets it right. I like whaley so I hope they keep him, but doubt it, and wouldn't surprise me if Reich gets the Head Coaching nod. Promote Schwartz to Assistant Head Coach and DC, and give him a pay raise to keep him. No one will hire him yet as a HC.

I'd be totally shocked if Reich was made head coach from nothing more than being an OC for Rivers. There's no way Pegula or Whaley can go the way of Reich with the little amount of experience he has as a coordinator

I would be disappointed with Reich considering Mike McCoy is still very much involved with SD's offense.

Marrone wanted guarantee's he wasn't going to be canned this season knowing someone, Polian or whomever would be coming onboard as football czar and Pegula rightfully so didn't make any promises, so he takes the "high road" and cashes in but in reality he was going to get paid anyway for 2015. So it is a "win win" for PEgula, Polian and Marrone. His reputation remains intact, neither Pegula or Polian have to play the heavy handed role. Only rest of coaching staff is negatively affected. Works out for everyone as if it were planned. No Doug isn't that smart but Pegula is ask BonJovi!!!!

Almost similar to Mike Mularkey situation. Mularkey was going to be under the mercy of Marv Levy and his decisions; something he chose to walk away. However, I still think Doug is a coward. He had a 9-7 team minus a starting QB. Instead of taking on that challenge and getting over the hump he chose to walk away; I have to say primarily for the money...He gets 4M in the bank from the Bills and another 4-5M in salary from the next HC gig. I hope Teams do pay attention to the fact that he has quit on his team.

I think it meant something. I don't think it says Marrone is better than Belicic. But, supposedly Rex Ryan Is, and Doug Marrone CRUSHED Rex Ryan twice THIS year so.... Hmmmm.. Oh what? Tom Brady?

The SAME Jets that just embarrased that "good" team in Miami. Geno Smith...358yds! haha.

maybe he had just been waiting all this time for Geno Smith to recover from that Pinstripe Bowl. Now that he got the film on one good win, the time is right.

Almost similar to Mike Mularkey situation. Mularkey was going to be under the mercy of Marv Levy and his decisions; something he chose to walk away. However, I still think Doug is a coward. He had a 9-7 team minus a starting QB. Instead of taking on that challenge and getting over the hump he chose to walk away; I have to say primarily for the money...He gets 4M in the bank from the Bills and another 4-5M in salary from the next HC gig. I hope Teams do pay attention to the fact that he has quit on his team.

I think he did the smart thing for himself. He asked about an extension for his assistant coaches to gauge the owners perspective on this years situation, and found out that this new owner actually understood what happened with the team this year.

Marrone knew his offense stunk because of a bad O line, and a bad OC. Then he lost the guy who bailed him out this season in QB Kyle Orton by earning a 7-5 record along the way. He was probably going to be forced to fire his OC & O line coach, and then find a new QB. The odds of his having another winning year were slim to none, and slim (Orton) left town.

Doug Marrone wasn't getting along with Whaley, and kept pushing Whaley all year long. The Bills are better off without that arrogant jerk who nicknamed himself St Doug.

I think he did the smart thing for himself. He asked about an extension for his assistant coaches to gauge the owners perspective on this years situation, and found out that this new owner actually understood what happened with the team this year.

Marrone knew his offense stunk because of a bad O line, and a bad OC. Then he lost the guy who bailed him out this season in QB Kyle Orton by earning a 7-5 record along the way. He was probably going to be forced to fire his OC & O line coach, and then find a new QB. The odds of his having another winning year were slim to none, and slim (Orton) left town.

Doug Marrone wasn't getting along with Whaley, and kept pushing Whaley all year long. The Bills are better off without that arrogant jerk who nicknamed himself St Doug.

i think this is the most likely sequence of events.

ultimately, he had the curse of a middle manager. too much responsibility and too little decision making power.

Edited by birdog1960

Marrone did Pegula a favor by opting out. He saved the new owner from future second guessing about the decision to axe a head coach that just went 9-7. Now its a decision he doesn't have to make and he won't make the same mistake of waiting and hoping that he made with the Sabres.

As for Marrrone, his business aptitude appears to be higher than his coaching ability. He leveraged improving a terrible Syracuse squad to competitiveness into an NFL HQ position and has now leveraged that position into coaching free agency where he will command a much higher salary. And while I'll give him credit for starting the turnaround of the Bills losing culture the shortcomings on offense, QB problems aside, were unacceptable and with the same crew in charge of the offense next year I couldn't see much hope for improvement. I think we can do better and will do better with an owner committed to spending and bringing in competent professional people to run the football side of the operation.

For me, Doug opting out yesterday was a late Christmas gift. Happy New Year to all.

Doug Marrone sucks. he walked out on the players where he talked about Family and got the rest of his staff essentially fired because he wanted to report to the owner. He's a baby. Whatever, glad he is gone. will be interesting to see if he takes Hackett with him.

Lack of consistency in the front office sucks ass! But if Marrone pulled a power play and quit then he's dead to me. He was a far from perfect coach, though I thought he had some promise. If he really is smart he'll go back to the college game, I think it fits his controlling coaching style better.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to Whaley and Brandon. From the moment the Pegulas got here, Brandon's seems very giddy and smug about his relationship with them (IMO). I like Brandon but have to believe there's a reason the raiders are mentioning him. Lot of PC PR but if he is willing to publicly mention a dissatisfaction with the organization he takes action shortly thereafter. And I do believe he ultimately cares about building a winner.

I do want to keep Whaley though and am worried about it if Polian installs his son here. Just hoping Terry and Kim get this right, we have the talent to move upwards.