Orton Retires (per twitter)

JimBob2232

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he reads the papers and maybe even TBD and decided he doesn't need this soap opera. He picked up an extra $5MM. He's set. Leave while he's still in one piece, especially with our line.

This one of the dumbest things I've ever read. He quit because he reads the paper and the message board? Wow.

Not saying that he will be gone. I am where you are on it. It seems like they do not believe that he is a starter in this league. I suspect that they go after RG, Bradford or (sigh) Cutler. I would love for someone else (ie Matt Ryan) to become available but I just don't see it.

I see it a little more neutral (and really, out of no reason other than blind hope and some of Hackett / Whaley's statements). He is, for me, very much in a "show me" position. He has to prove it.

That could be asset management in either case. If he is done here, they don't want to torpedo his trade value. If he isn't, bad-mouthing him serves zero purpose.

I am not sure that a boom/bust QB like any of those first three mentioned are a good idea, but I don't really know what's a good idea. I think Matt Moore could probably provide Brad Johnson-level quarterbacking if they are content with that.

Since there about four or five "Orton retires" threads rolling around I'll say this once and hope it gets merged at some point:

This makes complete sense if you look at how Orton played this season. He was absolutely concerned about his long term health, and winning football games was secondary. He never wanted to take the huge hits -- skittish under pressure, turning his back to the play, the pu$$y slide -- it really adds up. I bet he was great for the team in practice, and no doubt helped EJ to learn how to be a pro -- but in the real games he went into self-preservation mode, and we now know why.

Best of luck to ya, Kyle. You weren't great but you did provide some special moments and helped the Bills escape the category of "laughing stock" of the NFL.

Yep, I told a guy I was watching the Denver game with that I can't remember ever seeing a QB so obviously scared of pressure. It seemed strange after his first few games where he was hanging in the pocket and taking hits as he threw. I think one of those early hits made up his mind about retirement, and as you say he played the rest of the season to not got hurt.

straight out of the brett farve playbook...

skip training camp.....come back at last possible moment.

With a lot less fanfare...

I'm also surprised, but not shocked. At least it takes him out of the Bills' plans for 2015. I wasn't thrilled with his play, though he was an option compared to EJ's poor play in the first month. Thanks, Kyle.

At least he thought about it for five minutes.

Honestly, if he made the decision that quickly, it was in his mind for many weeks. And it showed on the field.

Really? Wow--that's pretty harsh.

Anyway, say goodbye to the only QB with a winning record with the Bills since Flutie and the only season winning record since Bledsoe.

I guess EJ gets to take off that knit cap now...

That's too bad. He would have at least been a very valuable back up. Good luck to him and his family.

Who would he be backing up? The guy he replaced this year? Bills are going to have to make a big move at QB. Or else EJ will have to be reborn as an NFL-quality player..