Orton Retires (per twitter)

JimBob2232

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Kyle, some good play, a lot of very bad….one thing was clear from your words/body language and play, you wanted the $$$ but you were not going to risk your health in any way shape or form. His words, before joining the team, about having a Daughter changing him have always stuck in the back of my head. In addition, he's no dummy, the head injuries wreaking havoc on older retirees not very easy to ignore. Could very well be that he did NOT want EJ to fail, he wanted to collect an easy 5Mil and not see the field.

Totally disagree!

Playing EJ likely would have proved little, backup QB's get like what 5 snaps a week with the first team. EJ has had little practice time with these guys since Sept. A guy who's been in the league for maybe 10 years, like an Orton, can make up for rustiness be improvising. EJ doesn't have that experience yet to do that. Likely he would have struggled which then all the haters would have jumped on it even more to cut the guy and would have been all over the Bills if they brought him back. Not that caring what we think means anything to the Bill's, but it also could have more shaken his own confidence. Maybe he has improved maybe he hasn't. maybe he has shown some improvement in practice even if with the second team that he will be back next year and compete for the starting role, but whether he had played yesterday or not wouldn't have changed anything for the Bill's.

Likely he will be back next year and unless they sign a legit starter like a Cutler or Bradford, he will be given the opportunity to compete for and win the starting job. I'd suspect they will at least bring in an Orton like guy to compete for the job, unless they do really feel EJ is terrible and has no future, then he may be cut. Assuming he's learned something from Orton, he'll be given a shot at the job next season, but I do believe they will have a better plan B in place if it doesn't work out. Either way though I think playing him yesterday would have learned little if anything.

It seems pretty clear to me that EJ isn't in their future plans. There was no reason to not play him this week otherwise. Even if they didn't know that Orton was retiring prior. If they did know they definitely would have played him if they still thought that he was the guy IMO.

Good. He wasn't the long-term answer and this ensures the Bills aren't tempted to just stick with him.

My thoughts exactly. At least we now know for a fact we arent gonna stay status quo at QB (not that it was likely anyway, but this ensures we sign/ trade for a QB with experience and dont make same mistake as last yr and go into TC without a vet .

Part of me can see why he did this.

Why risk further long term damage to his health?

He obviously has the money to retire and if his heart isnt in it anymore than he made the right call

Maybe he is thinking long term about his health and his family.

CBF

Hey man, I agree, and I don't blame the guy for anything he did all season.

He was playing behind one of the very worst O lines in the game, with the Bills OC calling mostly nothing but passes.

It seems pretty clear to me that EJ isn't in their future plans. There was no reason to not play him this week otherwise. Even if they didn't know that Orton was retiring prior. If they did know they definitely would have played him if they still thought that he was the guy IMO.

While I have no idea whether EJ is in the Bills' plans, I think him not starting yesterday says absolutely nothing. There was nothing to be gained from starting a "meaningless" game, against the Pats* at Foxboro, when he hasn't played in weeks. There really is no upside to it whatsoever for him. And it tells you nothing. Had he played well, would EJ detractors give him any credit for the performance? Would it change the coaches opinion of him?

OTOH, not going to EJ a few weeks ago, with a few games left, suggests something, I think.

At least this clarifies the situation a lot. The team knows exactly what it is up against at QB.

I would normally expect them to give EJ another shot at it except I think Marone has already made up his mind on EJ and doesn't believe he will ever play well enough to make a difference. I suspect Whaley does not agree about this, and that is the source of their conflict. I don't see an easy way out of this situation as long as Marone and Whaley are both there.

Or there is one way--if Whaley can come up with a QB from outside that BOTH Whaley and Marone like better than EJ. Happy hunting, boys.

Good Luck KO, I wish you nothing but the best! I think he was put in a difficult situation and handled himself very well. He is truly a backup QB, and a very good one at that. Someone that can come in after an injury and play 1, 2 or even 3 games until the starter gets healthy. He is not a starting QB in this league and it's a shame he received unfair criticism because the Bills royally f'ed up the QB position coming into training camp...