Orton Retires (per twitter)

JimBob2232

Quit making sense. There's a venting session happening here.

You can appreciate what Orton brought without sugar-coating it or introducing hypotheticals. Clearly, people who like EJ think that he could have provided some of the (at times, very rough) quarterbacking that Orton brought without changing the playoff picture. You believe that Orton could have won the Houston game. That seems unlikely to me given the rust he had to shake off, and that they were playing an All-World defensive lineman who simply owned that game. We can agree to disagree and that's also an act of civility.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure do... Orton ranks

QBR: 25th in the league

Yards: 22nd

ypa: 30th

rating: 19th

tds: 19th

ypg: 16th

To me that is lower than league average that is bottom of the league...

http://www.coldhardf...r-tv-stat/7978/

I'll go with the tried and true old QBR stat, which in terms of differential is the most accurate predictor of victory in team sports. On that front, Orton was league average (he also had 101 rating in PFR's purely relational advanced rating, with 100 being average: http://www.pro-footb.../O/OrtoKy00.htm ).

Edited by dave mcbride

How about covering up and holding the ball with 2 hands?!?!

he was trying to make a play. it sucks that it didn't work out but if he would have been able to just throw it to a check down it'd have been nice. he could not throw it away because he learned that he is going to get intentional grounding.

I have to look around. I thought Bradford might be available, but given the Rams QB situation they may be wise to bite the bullet and keep him. They can't rely on a stiff like Shaun Hill.

I think we ought to find a way to be aggressive and make a move for Eli Manning... the only guy that MIGHT be available and could lead us into the playoffs+

Edited by cage

Crap... Orton just endorsed EJ... :sick:

"The sky is the limit for EJ,” he said. “He’s got all the ability in the world. I hope having a veteran guy around kind of showing the way a little bit helped him. I guess we’ll wait and see, but he’s a good quarterback. He’s got his head on his shoulder and he’ll be fine.” From the Bills website.

What right does Orton have to screw up our off season? :doh: Now the front office will think EJ is ready. LOL

Edited by Iraq Vet

Sure do... Orton ranks

QBR: 25th in the league

Yards: 22nd

ypa: 30th

rating: 19th

tds: 19th

ypg: 16th

To me that is lower than league average that is bottom of the league...

adds up to Orton is somewhere between not good enough and sucks.

I think some of the fans reaction to the QB here speaks something of why the karma for this team has been bad for so long, and will probably continue to be bad.

READ THIS,

http://billsmafia.com/2014/12/24/buffalo-bills-must-prioritize-offensive-line-qb-2015-nfl-offseason/

From, http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/174480-article-why-ol-is-bigger-issue-than-hackettqb/

I think we ought to find a way to be aggressive and make a move for Eli Manning... the only guy that MIGHT be available and could lead us into the playoffs+

See the Matt Ryan thread. Why on earth would the Giants make a potential HOF QB available when a new coach needs to lean on his QB? Their plan B is Ryan Nassib. Yuck.

I think some of the fans reaction to the QB here speaks something of why the karma for this team has been bad for so long, and will probably continue to be bad.

Here I thought it was about how the players performed on the field. If I could just think positive, maybe Bryce Brown wouldn't have fumbled.

One good thing, QB's will want to play here now... Great Defense, pretty good WR's, decent RB's, and needs are very obvious and fixable.

Yes, but what FA QB do you want? We might need to trade to get a good QB, and then they wouldn't really have a say.

Gug, that last one is a bit too incendiary for me. He did get things back into a steady place and it was well-reported how good he was in working with his receivers.

Okay .. I admit that all of what I wrote was a tad harsh.

I will say this in seriousness, however ... I believe that the Bills would have at least 9, possibly 10, wins had EJ never gotten benched.

I agreed with the decision to bench him then; and I still think it was a good idea for his long-term development.

But I do not believe for one second that Orton made the offense better. And I do think he was terrible in most of the games he played in a Bills uniform.

I'm ecstatic that the Bills won yesterday; I think that first quarter was great football. But I don't think for one second that Orton was good yesterday; I thought he was horrible. Again. And the defense/special teams won the game. Again. That happens a lot in the NFL and I'll take a win no matter which part of the team is mostly responsible.

But I'm not going to sit here and "thank" Orton for doing such a great job, because the fact is that he stunk for the majority of the time he was on the field.

I can only hope that his short tenure did something for EJ. Because I do believe that EJ is the future of this team.

Kyle Orton went to a 'meeting' and never came back

Did you seriously expect Kyle Orton would leave the NFL any other way? He wasn't going to hold some lengthy press conference or issue a tearful statement. Dude was going to smash and grab his way out the league without telling a soul.

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2014/12/29/7461095/kyle-orton-bills-left-retire-smash-and-grab

READ THIS,

http://billsmafia.co...-nfl-offseason/

From, http://forums.twobil...than-hackettqb/

Great info here, and a very accurate assessment of the bigger issue on offense.

QBR is bogus but YPA is traditionally a pretty good indicator.

Yeah I'm not the biggest fan of qbr myself but the ypa is a pretty good indicator. The other rating puts him at 19th or slightly below average. In a discussion with other posters I settled on him being between the 19th and 23rd best starting qb. Again not good enough to go anywhere with.

I like how most of u people blame Orton for not winning some games. There no I in team. So please stop talking out of your ass.

Maybe try pulling your head out of yours and understand that Orton didn't do anything to help the Bills win football games.

Edited by Heels20X6