NFL worth early death

papazoid

Chicago Bears safety Chris Conte, who has suffered two concussions this season, says playing in the NFL is worth the risk he takes to his long-term health by doing so.

"As far as after football, who knows. My life will revolve around football to some point, but I'd rather have the experience of playing and, who knows, die 10, 15 years earlier than not be able to play in the NFL and live a long life.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/12040968/chris-conte-chicago-bears-says-playing-nfl-worth-long-term-health-risk

Chicago Bears safety Chris Conte, who has suffered two concussions this season, says playing in the NFL is worth the risk he takes to his long-term health by doing so.

"As far as after football, who knows. My life will revolve around football to some point, but I'd rather have the experience of playing and, who knows, die 10, 15 years earlier than not be able to play in the NFL and live a long life.

http://espn.go.com/c...erm-health-risk

Bet he changes his mind in a few years.

i can honestly say if presented the following scenarios at a young age, i would choose the nfl career.

live to 75 and earn $10 mil or more during a short 4-10 year NFL career plus whatever per year in life after football

or

live to 85 and earn $100,000/yr (maybe alot less for some) for 30 years = $3 mil

i can honestly say if presented the following scenarios at a young age, i would choose the nfl career.

live to 75 and earn $10 mil or more during a short 4-10 year NFL career plus whatever per year in life after football

or

live to 85 and earn $100,000/yr (maybe alot less for some) for 30 years = $3 mil

What if it is live to 55 or 60 instead of 85?

this is the line that sends chills down my spine :

"So I don't really look toward my life after football because I'll figure things out when I get there and see how I am."

To me, that's beyond troubling. I understand wanting to follow your dreams, but that comment in a nutshell is what worries me about players after they retire. To have no clue what to do with your life after a career that averages roughly 6 years or so is a scary thought, and either shows the opinion of just one man or a fail across the systems in place to teach these young kids about life after football.

"So I don't really look toward my life after football because I'll figure things out when I get there and see how I am."

To me, that's beyond troubling. I understand wanting to follow your dreams, but that comment in a nutshell is what worries me about players after they retire. To have no clue what to do with your life after a career that averages roughly 6 years or so is a scary thought, and either shows the opinion of just one man or a fail across the systems in place to teach these young kids about life after football.

They're grown men, adults. Fail across the system? What system do we have in place for the other 30 year olds in the real world?

They're grown men, adults. Fail across the system? What system do we have in place for the other 30 year olds in the real world?

The other 30 year olds for the most part aren't working in a situation as unique as the NFL. I'm talking about the systems the NFL has to prepare it's players for life after the NFL.

[shrugs] He's young, dumb and full of c**. I was the same way in my 20s, and I was most definitely NOT a prospect for making millions of dollars doing anything. Well, I was trying to be a rock star, but that obviously didn't work out.

Then at some point I realized things like health insurance and settling down would be nice.

Sounds like his concussions (this years and all the others and and Fred Jackson's stiff arm) have already affected his brain.

I totally respect this.

Yes. Agreed. He is an adult and able to make decisions. Whether he is right or wrong is not our decision. If he regrets it that will be his folly. But this man is doing what he loves and loving what he is doing.

Let him be.

[shrugs] He's young, dumb and full of c**. I was the same way in my 20s, and I was most definitely NOT a prospect for making millions of dollars doing anything. Well, I was trying to be a rock star, but that obviously didn't work out.

Then at some point I realized things like health insurance and settling down would be nice.

And I completely get that, maybe it's just me maturing more in my thinking (that's a scary thought though), but if he's living with that mindset now, does he truly end up changing his ways, or do we read about him blowing his head off because no one cares about him now that he's out of football?

I doubt he's the only person in the world that would be willing to shorten their lives by 10-15 years for millions of dollars in the prime of their life.

Add there is no certainty of earlier death and no certainty one would have not died early for some other reason. Risk reward decision would give anyone pause.

I'd also be interested what the average lifespan of college football players who then went on to normal lives .

Is it the sports fault or the segment of populous who are in the NFL are higher risk for shortened life due to the same genetic traits which makes them athletic outliers....(ie... High testosterone, aggressive, passive lifestyle post sports, high Bmi, and other genetic traits that make them abnormally super athletic.)

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

Add there is no certainty of earlier death and no certainty one would have died early for some other reason.

Geez that's some rationalization :)

But it is also not just a length of life, but a quality of life question. You could still live to 85, but be a drooling idiot for the last 30 years.

Again, none of that is guaranteed to happen, but the likelihood increases if tackle football is your profession is all.

Geez that's some rationalization :)

But it is also not just a length of life, but a quality of life question. You could still live to 85, but be a drooling idiot for the last 30 years.

Again, none of that is guaranteed to happen, but the likelihood increases if tackle football is your profession is all.

I'm with you. It's not a decision I was ever in a position to make so it's a big guess on my part.

I would imagine there are many NFL players who think this, but he is actually saying it. Give him credit for being honest.

Maybe he should visit Daryl Talley or Earl Campbell. Problem is you don't just drop dead at 55, you suffer a lot first.

But then again, Roger Staubach had several concussions and then went to have a very successful business career and still seems to be doing well.

A lot depends on what your alternatives are. For instance, if you are a white guy growing up in Hamburg, getting a nice education, some nice travel experiences, reasonably successful with women, etc. Well then, the trade off isn't so good.

If you are a black kid growing up in some crappy Florida ghetto, where life expectancy is pretty low, with a single mom and a few siblings that could really benefit from your exceptional athletic ability, and without many other options besides joining the army, etc. then the tradeoff looks a lot different.

I would imagine there are many NFL players who think this, but he is actually saying it. Give him credit for being honest.

Maybe he should visit Daryl Talley or Earl Campbell. Problem is you don't just drop dead at 55, you suffer a lot first.

But then again, Roger Staubach had several concussions and then went to have a very successful business career and still seems to be doing well.

This is crucial.

I have many friends who abuse their bodies for the party. They all say, "hey, when my time comes, it comes. I doubt I'll make 50". They never consider that it's unlikely that they will just suddenly drop dead, but is more likely a slow painful process, AND death before 50.

Edited by HoF Watkins

People join the military, become cops or firefighter, work with asbestos or in a steel mill for much less money and comparable (or greater) danger.

The fact he makes an absurd amount of money playing a game, I dont blame him at all for saying that

bingo.

id hope he ways his future when making that decision, but we dont know what his alternative options would have been without football. hes made a choice, and hes not lying to himself about it.

Conte's logic is a bit chilling, but understandable...at least in the context of a young man with the superpowers to pley pro football.

I'm also willing to bet the future for this generation of players is a whole lot brighter than for the guys who played in the 70s-90s...there will still be plenty of problems, but prevention and treatment will get better, and that will help.

For someone like Troy Polamalu, or Ed Reed...yeah, maybe.

But when you're stiff-armed twice in the same run by Fred Jackson, you've got ask yourself if it's really worth it.

People make life shortening decisions in all walks of life to live better in the moment. People below the poverty line ESPECIALLY. This is not really much different. Retired NFL players don't live shorter lives than the average man so Conte is being a bit presumptuous.

People make life shortening decisions in all walks of life to live better in the moment. People below the poverty line ESPECIALLY. This is not really much different. Retired NFL players don't live shorter lives than the average man so Conte is being a bit presumptuous.

They actually do live shorter lives, on average