Marrone Hackett Seal Their Fate

coltrane34

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The team is going to end up 8-8 or 7-9. Overall this has been a season of hope - let's face it, the team hasn't had a meaningful game this late in the season since maybe the last century....I actually feel pretty good about next year with this defense....all of that tells me we're stuck with Marrone. Hackett could get the boot though....but TP's not going to can Marrone

So ya think Denver's game plan had any influence on Manning's numbers? Using your logic, the Bills should have won this game easily because they were better in every critical OFFENSIVE statistic....well, they had twice as many penalties/yards as Denver too. Is this y'all's first year watching NFL football? LOL

Please, man. It's not like Manning didn't get his shots. He took those shots and was picked twice. I'm not really sure what "logic" you are referring to, nor am I sure what you're trying to argue.

The team is going to end up 8-8 or 7-9. Overall this has been a season of hope - let's face it, the team hasn't had a meaningful game this late in the season since maybe the last century....I actually feel pretty good about next year with this defense....all of that tells me we're stuck with Marrone. Hackett could get the boot though....but TP's not going to can Marrone

I do feel like this has been a good season overall, with reasons for optimism. As long as we re-sign our key free agents on the defense, I like our chances next year. But we are in the present and I still want wins!

Edited by Big C

Orton was really bad. Embarrassing at times. I don't know what was most responsible for this loss, but it's between Orton and the Marrone Hackett offense. We have a bunch of playmakers. Get them the freaking ball. A lot of it, or half of it I blame on Orton. But it would be simple for the coach or OC to tell his QB get the ball downfield. Our best players are Sammy and Woods and Freddy. They wasted half the game on three yard plays. Even the TD to Hogan was a four yard pass and only reason it worked was a semi pick by Sammy and then a good block by him. We did that all day.

This really does summarize it. We don't have a QB on the roster who can play in this league, and the offensive scheme is simply amateurish. They are running a college offense featuring 3-yard out patterns, run by a QB who is a fat toad and who was sitting on his couch in August until $5 million big ones were dangled in front of his face. Some of Orton's throws were, indeed, embarrassingly bad, and his slide short of the marker on 3rd down sealed it for me - this guy is counting his money, he's not in it to win games in December (much less January). It's a perfect storm of idiocy at OBD right now. And it's a shame because this is a playoff defense whose talent and effort are being squandered.

I don't understand the optimism talk if they finish 7-9. They said they would be a playoff team this year. Whaley used it as the reason why giving up a 1st rounder next year was ok. They are realistically not going to the playoffs and losing the last 4 (or really even 3 of 4) games of the season would not be an optimistic end to the season no matter who they are playing against in those games. Who will be held accountable?

Edited by Pondslider

Lotta garbage time pileup in those numbers.

I expected that response, and to a small degree yes. However, they moved the ball well most of the time. Early on they stalled just as they were getting into Denver territory. Orton's first INT ruined a good drive (Chandler was open on that play). They moved ball pretty well against a good D in their house. This game turned on the Ref's calls.

I don't understand the optimism talk if they finish 7-9. They said they would be a playoff team this year. Whaley used it as the reason why giving up a 1st rounder next year was ok. They are realistically not going to the playoffs and losing the last 4 (or really even 3 of 4) games of the season would not be an optimistic end to the season no matter who they are playing in those games. Who will be held accountable?

Exactly. Realistically we have 1-2 more wins than last year. Not acceptable. Especially when their losses are due to poor execution, playcalling, penalties... Coaches must go. If Marrone wont fire Hackett and hire a legitt offensive cooridnator then he must go too.

Those 2-3 bad calls changed the whole game. Bottom line.

The refs were blatantly bias ! On the CJ Anderson TD that shouldn't have been a TD because his elbow was down before the ball crossed the line the refs fist bumped .

On a CJ Anderson run out of bounds before the end of the first half when Anderson was coming back in bounds one of the refs patted Anderson on the ass like a coach or same team player would do after a good play :huh: ...

WTF Someone needs to bring that to the NFL's attention . If they are going to give the game away at least do it under cover !!

I feel sorry for this great defense. Head and offensive coaches have no feel for the game. Hackett thought he was on fire with all of the reverse runs and screens. But continuously throwing for one yard is not illuminating. Going for it in the first quarter 4th and 6? Then not going fo it 4-1 in the 4th quarter down 14? Marrone/Hackett are trying to outsmart teams which is difficult when you are a college coach working in the NFL. This defense holds manning to his worst game in a long time only to have our offense defeat itself? These coaches must go. We finally have legit players. Now we need better that college JV coaches to lead this team. Pegula please clean house.

The defense is good not great. No coach is going to get much production with a bad online and no qb

Marrone and Hackett and Pettine/Schwartz have made the Bills relevant in December(and we still have a 41.6% chance if we win out) for the first time in 10 years.

And that means they've sealed their fate? :wacko::lol: :lol: Yet another dude trying to disprove the "Bills fans are the most knowledgeable in the NFL" adage.

Seriously. The go in as 9.5 dogs, and not only cover, but make it a game after making all sorts of execution(not coaching) errors, and you're talking about 4th down calls? :wacko: If Chandler goes up and gets the ball on 4th and 6? This is a different game. That was a great call, and we have to expect Chandler to make that play. Meanwhile with the game on the line, you want us to take a chance that if we miss, we have 0 chance, rather than punt, and still have a chance? We scored a TD right after punting. :wallbash:

So tired of this broken record/non-thinking about Marrone/Hackett. The man has done a hell of a job with at best average(right now) QBs and losing both his stud RBs for much of the season, and is playing WRs who haven't played for 3 years(used to be the rule that it takes that long for a WR to learn the game).

I don't know where in WNY this non-thinking originates, but if I find it, I will respond. Perhaps I will pay a farmer to drop 1 ton of manure there.

:lol:

This is what I mean when I say "The Bills are not your problem".

EDIT: We go in and give the best team in the league, and the best QB to ever play the game, hell, and his worst rating in 6 years, and that seals fates? :lol: Patently retarded.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

The refs were blatantly bias ! On the CJ Anderson TD that shouldn't have been a TD because his elbow was down before the ball crossed the line the refs fist bumped .

I think it wasn't a TD but I don't fault the refs on that. There was not a replay that showed he didn't get in. You can't use two replays to show what happened. If you could it would have shown he was down. But there wasn't one shot that showed it.

This really does summarize it. We don't have a QB on the roster who can play in this league, and the offensive scheme is simply amateurish. They are running a college offense featuring 3-yard out patterns, run by a QB who is a fat toad and who was sitting on his couch in August until $5 million big ones were dangled in front of his face. Some of Orton's throws were, indeed, embarrassingly bad, and his slide short of the marker on 3rd down sealed it for me - this guy is counting his money, he's not in it to win games in December (much less January). It's a perfect storm of idiocy at OBD right now. And it's a shame because this is a playoff defense whose talent and effort are being squandered.

The slide short was appalling......and okay I'm going to say it.....made me miss Fitzy.....he would have put that 48 on the Wonderlic head in harms way and got the first down!

Marrone and Hackett and Pettine/Schwartz have made the Bills relevant in December(and we still have a 41.6% chance if we win out) for the first time in 10 years.

And that means they've sealed their fate? :wacko::lol: :lol: Yet another dude trying to disprove the "Bills fans are the most knowledgeable in the NFL" adage.

Seriously. The go in as 9.5 dogs, and not only cover, but make it a game after making all sorts of execution(not coaching) errors, and you're talking about 4th down calls? :wacko: If Chandler goes up and gets the ball on 4th and 6? This is a different game. That was a great call, and we have to expect Chandler to make that play. Meanwhile with the game on the line, you want us to take a chance that if we miss, we have 0 chance, rather than punt, and still have a chance? We scored a TD right after punting. :wallbash:

So tired of this broken record/non-thinking about Marrone/Hackett. The man has done a hell of a job with at best average(right now) QBs and losing both his stud RBs for much of the season, and is playing WRs who haven't played for 3 years(used to be the rule that it takes that long for a WR to learn the game).

I don't know where in WNY this non-thinking originates, but if I find it, I will respond. Perhaps I will pay a farmer to drop 1 ton of manure there.

EDIT: We go in and give the best team in the league, and the best QB to ever play the game, hell, and his worst rating in 6 years, and that seals fates? :lol: Patently retarded.

Great Post

if their fate was returning for a third season ....your right on

why would such a wonderful coach possible get fired ???????

Because the world isn't governed by simple, black and white rules and there is a lot more that goes into coaching hiring and firing than raw competence or lack thereof.

Agreed

Meanwhile with the game on the line, you want us to take a chance that if we miss, we have 0 chance, rather than punt, and still have a chance? We scored a TD right after punting. :wallbash:

They did not score a TD "right after" punting. They scored a TD about 3 minutes after punting which left them with little chance to win anyway. By punting on 4th and 2 they traded 2 timeouts and about 1:30 of time to end up with almost the exact same field position and they had ANOTHER 4th down play to make anyway. The defense did a great job getting the ball back to the offense, but it was not the right call.

Wow. If you can't see that these coaches are over their heads then you are watching a different team. They displayed in the first quarter that this game is all or nothing. If they held to that standard all of their third down playcalls should have been different knowing that they were going to go for it on forth. Trying to screen or pull blockers in the same way every play is not innovative. They may have found a weakness but they tried to exploit it every play for 1-3 yards for 3 quarters. That is not going to win NFL Games. Gotta find the weakness and strike for td's. I admit it was better than watching rb dives up the gut all game. But if their fourth down calls we ok for you then their third down calls must have truly been their downfall.

They did not score a TD "right after" punting. They scored a TD about 3 minutes after punting which left them with little chance to win anyway. By punting on 4th and 2 they traded 2 timeouts and about 1:30 of time to end up with almost the exact same field position and they had ANOTHER 4th down play to make anyway. The defense did a great job getting the ball back to the offense, but it was not the right call.

Right, and if we don't make it the game ends right there. It was the right call. You never push all in unless you have a made hand, or you know the other guy is a fool. John Fox and Peyton Manning aren't fools, and going for it from our 20 is like tryng to fill an inside straight with one card left in the deck. Idiocy. It's as simple as that.

If Harbaugh is fired in San Francisco Pegula shouldn't hesitate to give him whatever he wants.

The same Harbaugh that just lost to the 1-10 Raiders?!?!?!!? Can you imagine what this board would look like if that happened? Grass is not always greener my friend...

This post was phenomenal! I feel bad shortening it down but I wanted to make sure I addressed how good this was! Seriously the Bills are playing their best football in a decade plus and because the Bills lost a game on the road, where the refs gifted the other team 11 points, to one of the top 5 qbs, the coaching staff is terrible and needs to be replaced? I'm saddened by the idiocy of fans that feel this way...

I think it wasn't a TD but I don't fault the refs on that. There was not a replay that showed he didn't get in. You can't use two replays to show what happened. If you could it would have shown he was down. But there wasn't one shot that showed it.

The penalty on Robey, and then the bs flag that led to the penalty on Hughes both happened on third down and after the Bills got the stops. One would have led to a fg and the other they would have punted. 11 free points from the refs in the NFL is obnoxious, ridiculous, and a whole mess of other superlatives. To see this team continue to fight and not quit and be in it with less than a minute left tells me that this coaching staff needs to come back. Even Hackett called a very good game today.

Right, and if we don't make it the game ends right there. It was the right call. You never push all in unless you have a made hand, or you know the other guy is a fool. John Fox and Peyton Manning aren't fools, and going for it from our 20 is like tryng to fill an inside straight with one card left in the deck. Idiocy. It's as simple as that.

If they went for it and didn't get it we would have had the exact same outcome as what we got. Losing by 7 or 21 is the same thing.

Yep. I think both the fourth down decisions were the correct calls by Marrone. It's not a matter of do you go for it on fourth or not. It's a matter of each decision different, where is the ball (48 is way different then 40), what the score is, what time of the game, where you are playing, what your defense is playing like at the time, what your offense is playing like at the time, etc. Marrone made the right call, IMO.

Wow. If you can't see that these coaches are over their heads then you are watching a different team. They displayed in the first quarter that this game is all or nothing. If they held to that standard all of their third down playcalls should have been different knowing that they were going to go for it on forth. Trying to screen or pull blockers in the same way every play is not innovative. They may have found a weakness but they tried to exploit it every play for 1-3 yards for 3 quarters. That is not going to win NFL Games. Gotta find the weakness and strike for td's. I admit it was better than watching rb dives up the gut all game. But if their fourth down calls we ok for you then their third down calls must have truly been their downfall.

No. The difference is I know football. Especially today's football. You are talking about screen plays as if they all sucked....when the reality is we exploited the screen over and over against them. :wacko: What the F game were you watching? We chucked in to Fred on screen/chip and go for 2 3rd downs in a row! :rolleyes:

We did find the weaknesses with our game plan: how many misdirection runs/pass plays did we have? How many times did we set up for a pass and run a counter? Better: how the F did Kyle Orton throw for 355 F'ing yards, if we didn't find any weaknesses in their D? :wacko::lol:

Given this post and my last one, I've now made your entire argument empircally obtuse.

Try again.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Today began our playoffs. The coaches illustrated that by going for fourth down conversions in the first quarter. All I'm saying is that you must keep that mindset all game. Especially on fourth and short down 14 late in the 4th quarter regardless of field position. If not, then why run a draw, screen, or 1 yard pass on third and medium? They needed chunks of yards and called plays that unless super lucky would not garner that. That falls on Orton and Hackett. Unless Marrone is calling plays now.

I feel sorry for this great defense. Head and offensive coaches have no feel for the game. Hackett thought he was on fire with all of the reverse runs and screens. But continuously throwing for one yard is not illuminating. Going for it in the first quarter 4th and 6? Then not going fo it 4-1 in the 4th quarter down 14? Marrone/Hackett are trying to outsmart teams which is difficult when you are a college coach working in the NFL. This defense holds manning to his worst game in a long time only to have our offense defeat itself? These coaches must go. We finally have legit players. Now we need better that college JV coaches to lead this team. Pegula please clean house.

Don't have time to read 4 pages of this thread before posting, but hopefully someone pointed out KYLE EFFING ORTON SHOULD NOT EVEN BE OUR QB. Whaley drafted a guy who AT BEST was years from being NFL caliber, then doubled down with the Watkins pick that leaves us without much hope of acquiring anyone better than Orton for next year. He is a huge reason we're in the mess we are in!

I want Pegula to clean house of all these clowns...including Brandon (at least, get him the hell away from football ops once and for all). There is finally enough talent on the roster and enough money available to get competent pros at coach, OC and GM.

And if iI ever again see Brandon chest bumping Sammy Watkins post-game like they're "boys" or something, I want him fired on the spot. Grow and act like an executive, sheesh. I know I can't be the only one who saw that after the Jet game, right?

It is so obvious he wants his hands in everything....get hm out of the war room on draft day, get hm off the sideline. Make him disappear like Ralph's old-guard beancounters...in fact send hm to Michigan and he can hang out with Mary since he loves her so much. He is a huge part for the problem for a long time and I can't stand the sight of him.

Today began our playoffs. The coaches illustrated that by going for fourth down conversions in the first quarter. All I'm saying is that you must keep that mindset all game. Especially on fourth and short down 14 late in the 4th quarter regardless of field position. If not, then why run a draw, screen, or 1 yard pass on third and medium? They needed chunks of yards and called plays that unless super lucky would not garner that. That falls on Orton and Hackett. Unless Marrone is calling plays now.

Marrone very likely calls the plays on 4th and short.

So, this thread is entitled Marrone and Hackett seal their fates....but maybe now it's just Hackett and Orton Seal their fates? :lol:

Dude, shut it down. WTF are you even doing?

I am firmly not with any group calling for Hackett +/or Marrone being fired..any successful NFL franchise requires continuity and stability for the coaches and front office..fire them for what? To get whom? Really am frustrated at the he Bills loss today but equally frustrated at the calls to let these guys go..How about giving them the minimum 3 to 5 years it takes to turn around this perpetually broken and losing franchise? Count me in the apparent minority of Bills fans who know we are definitely moving in the right direction.. 14 years of non playoff appearances are not fixed by dumpling the O coordinator and Head Coach every other year!!!!!

Yep. I think both the fourth down decisions were the correct calls by Marrone. It's not a matter of do you go for it on fourth or not. It's a matter of each decision different, where is the ball (48 is way different then 40), what the score is, what time of the game, where you are playing, what your defense is playing like at the time, what your offense is playing like at the time, etc. Marrone made the right call, IMO.

I don't know if I agree with the decision to punt on 4th and 2. I understand the thinking, but in the moment it was a terrible call that reflected (to me) once again Marrone has poor in game management skills. Yes, had the Bills gone for it and missed, it's a layup and a short field. But Sandborn had just botched a snap and the special teams had been AWFUL up until that point. Add to that they were down two scores with Peyton Manning across from them, I'd rather give them a short field with that amount of clock left -- the worst thing you could do there was give Manning more field to chew up more clock.

Which he did.

this along with the complete and total absence of any and all pressure on peyton manning are why i will be in a foul mood for at least a little while.

I thought we contained Manning quite well, I believe statistically better than any defense in about 8 years. That's not good enough for you?

I don't know if I agree with the decision to punt on 4th and 2. I understand the thinking, but in the moment it was a terrible call that reflected (to me) once again Marrone has poor in game management skills. Yes, had the Bills gone for it and missed, it's a layup and a short field. But Sandborn had just botched a snap and the special teams had been AWFUL up until that point. Add to that they were down two scores with Peyton Manning across from them, I'd rather give them a short field with that amount of clock left -- the worst thing you could do there was give Manning more field to chew up more clock.

Which he did.

No. The worst thing you can do is give Peyton Manning the ball on our 20 yard line, and have him score another TD, or merely a FG....

...which would have sealed our fate...

...regardles of the time on the clock.

No. The worst thing you can do is give Peyton Manning the ball on our 20 yard line, and have him score another TD, or merely a FG....

you need to post more...

No. The difference is I know football. Especially today's football. You are talking about screen plays as if they all sucked....when the reality is we exploited the screen over and over against them. :wacko: What the F game were you watching? We chucked in to Fred on screen/chip and go for 2 3rd downs in a row! :rolleyes:

We did find the weaknesses with our game plan: how many misdirection runs/pass plays did we have? How many times did we set up for a pass and run a counter? Better: how the F did Kyle Orton throw for 355 F'ing yards, if we didn't find any weaknesses in their D? :wacko::lol:

Given this post and my last one, I've now made your entire argument empircally obtuse.

Try again.

Empiracally Obtuse? Orton threw for 355 because we were down all game and he had to throw. Stats can be reflected to support any argument. We lost because our offense couldnt get it done. Blame the QB, blame the line, blame execution, blame the refs, blame the Rb... But bottom line when this single area holds the Bills back almost every game the buck must stop at the coaches who do not get the right talent combined with the right playcalling to win.

Completely disagree.

you need to post more...

Well, I had hoped to see a miracle today... but I didn't expect to see someone actually ask for more OC. :nana: Wonders never cease.

You're a clown, Marrone is not going anywhere. Hackett on the other hand, should be fired tomorrow.

Edited by old school

Try again.

How many pics did he throw? How many more were dropped? Not flukey, tipped ball pics but looking(Staring) right at your guy and chucking it to the other guy. How much of his yardage was YAC? And how about a little, maybe just a smidgeon of hustle when you are down by 14. Fatboy can't move that fast apparently. Remember all the talk about the fastest offense and most plays per game. How about just doing it in your two minute drill and not throwing check down after check down. PA- FING-THETIC . Keep crowing about your moral victories. Did it occur to you that they knew we couldn't win and they just rode it out with their run game because they felt no threat? I'm sure Manning is feeling pretty bad about having to take such a bad win into next week.

You're a clown, Marrone is not going anywhere. Hackett on the other hand, should be fired tomorrow.

It's Marrone's offense and Hackett is his prodige. No way Marrone fires Hackett -- and if he does, it won't change the offensive philosophy unless Marrone is going to take a hands off approach. I doubt that happens.