Official 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' thread

Just Jack

Only thirty theaters will have the trailer this weekend....

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/update-star-wars-the-force-awakens-trailer-debuting-103463342037.html

http://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-the-force-awakens-tease-theater-list

AZ PHOENIX HARKINS TEMPE MARKETPLACE

CA LOS ANGELES AMC CENTURY CITY

CA LOS ANGELES Indep EL CAPITAN

CA IRVINE REGAL SPECTRUM IRVINE 21

CA SAN FRANCISCO AMC METREON 16

CA SAN JOSE CINEMARK OAKRIDGE 20

CA SAN DIEGO REGAL MIRA MESA 18

CAN TORONTO CINEPLEX YOUNGE & DUNDAS

CAN VANCOUVER CINEPLEX RIVERPORT

CO DENVER AMC WESTMINSTER 24

DC WASH D.C AMC TYSONS CORNER 16

FL MIAMI CARMIKE PARISIAN 20

GA ATLANTA REGAL ATLANTIC STATION

IL CHICAGO REGAL CITY NORTH

MA BOSTON AMC BOSTON COMMONS 19

MI DETROIT CINEMARK SHOWCASE 20

MN MINNEAPOLIS AMC SOUTHDALE

MO KANSAS CITY AMC STUDIO 30

NY NEW YORK AMC LINCOLN SQUARE 12

NY NEW YORK REGAL UNION SQUARE

OH CLEVELAND CINEMARK CINEMARK 24

PA PHILADELPHIA REGAL WARRINGTON 22

TN NASHVILLE CARMIKE THOROUGHBRED 20

TN KNOXVILLE REGAL PINNACLE

TX DALLAS CINEMARK WEST PLANO 20

TX HOUSTON REGAL MARQ*E STADIUM 23

TX AUSTIN ALAMO ALAMO S LAMAR

UT SALT LAKE CITY CINEMARK CINEMARK 24 WEST JORDAN

WA SEATTLE REGAL THORNTON PLACE 14

WI MILWAUKEE MARCUS BROOKFIELD 16

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh good grief...now we have limited releases on trailers?

Maybe they should dedicate one screen at each place to show only the trailer for $5 with a showing every 20 minutes. They'd clean up!

Wait, so this is the list of where the trailer is being shown?? I haven't been excited enough to set foot in a theater to see a movie in 10 let alone a trailer.

Wait, so this is the list of where the trailer is being shown?? I haven't been excited enough to set foot in a theater to see a movie in 10 let alone a trailer.

Yep, and since one is in San Fran and one in San Jose, all us nerds expect you to go and record it for us.

I'll go one record: this movie will be a dud.

How do you want to define it as a dud though?

Agreed, the definition of dud needs to be made clear simply because the goal posts have moved so much in the past decade. Are we talking a critical failure or the film not being a big earner at the box office? If we are talking box office numbers, are we including international markets in the definition or only domestic?

I can see it being received like Indy 4 was if it's terrible (though I expect it to be quite good) -- but even then it'll still make a speeder-load of money.

"And the light"... I have to admit that last sequence gave me a little chill. Looks fun to me.

Agree. Gave me a little chill too. It looks very JJ Abrams-esque with some sprinkles of 'Star Wars' shots mixed in.

The opening when John Boyega pops up on screen, which is an Abrams type shot, was very cool. I think it'll be fun and it's nice that it's got a different feel than previous Star Wars.

I found that to be pretty underwhelming. Nice that it has a JJ Abrams look to it, but I don't know if I'd even call that a "teaser".

By the way, it was confirmed as Serkis.

Edited by Rubes

I found that to be pretty underwhelming. Nice that it has a JJ Abrams look to it, but I don't know if I'd even call that a "teaser".

It's the definition of a teaser. More footage than I expected. I've seen teasers that just showed a movie title. A Batman teaser one time was just a 3D model of the symbol.

It's the definition of a teaser. More footage than I expected. I've seen teasers that just showed a movie title. A Batman teaser one time was just a 3D model of the symbol.

Yea I would say it's more footage than I expected considering priciple filming just finished but obviously way less than a trailer. Surprised by the amount of CGI that's finished as well.

I remember during the Super Bowl the Dark Knight teaser was just the Batman symbol with flashes of light breaking it apart and Michael Caine doing a voice over. That's it.

I'm bored with JJ Abrams and I think it was a terrible idea to give the same director both Star Trek and Star Wars. In a few years you'll feel like Kirk could do a crossover and pilot an Imperial starship and Yoda is hanging out with Sulu on the bridge.

I don't think Abrams he's a good storyteller. Alias and Lost are probably his best works and for how great those series were they ended quite terribly insofar as story goes. He also recycles plot devices and music scores. Watch his Mission Impossible take and a Star Trek. You'll sense the familiarity.

You combine that with Disney and you'll get an "ok", fast food film. Satisfy you in the instant but you'll forget it and still remember the classics.

"And the light"... I have to admit that last sequence gave me a little chill. Looks fun to me.

Agree. Gave me a little chill too. It looks very JJ Abrams-esque with some sprinkles of 'Star Wars' shots mixed in.

The opening when John Boyega pops up on screen, which is an Abrams type shot, was very cool. I think it'll be fun and it's nice that it's got a different feel than previous Star Wars.

GreggyT & Wayne Cubed, I love the last shot with the Millenium Falcon, but seeing the X-Wings, the new look Stormtroopers & that crossed light sabre got me all excited.

Rubes, this was definitely a teaser. As John Adams pointed out some teasers are just background music, a voice over, a symbol and/or a title. This had actual footage which surprised me, when you consider that this movie is a year away.

And thanks for confirming that it was Serkis doing the voice over, I thought it was Max Von Sydow.

I finally made it to a theater this weekend to catch up on Interstellar and to see the trailer in IMAX -- it didn't disappoint and felt less CGI'd (which is ridiculous I know) on the big screen than it did watching on my computer screen. The funniest part for me was when they put up the release date at the end (December 2015) and the packed theater let out a collective "BOOO!"

The guy next to me was so upset, "Why would they do that? Why would they make us wait so long"... he sounded like he was 13 but he had to be closer to 60. :lol:

Major spoilers have been leaked by an alleged insider. I won't post the link, but it is way easy to find, as Google is your friend. No one is sure how much is true or what is bunk, but if you are interested, give it a read. If true, this movie will certainly be dark, and way better than anything in the prequels...

Major spoilers have been leaked by an alleged insider. I won't post the link, but it is way easy to find, as Google is your friend. No one is sure how much is true or what is bunk, but if you are interested, give it a read. If true, this movie will certainly be dark, and way better than anything in the prequels...

It's easy to find, if you WANT to find it.

I find it to be just as easy as remaining spoiler free, because I don't go looking for plot details on movies.

J.J. Abrams normally does a great job of keeping the lid on his movies, although this might be too big for him to control.

Having said that, if what you say is true, that makes the anticipation even more exciting. Maybe Anthony Daniels was onto something when he said that Episode VII has potential to be better than "Empire".

I'm bored with JJ Abrams and I think it was a terrible idea to give the same director both Star Trek and Star Wars. In a few years you'll feel like Kirk could do a crossover and pilot an Imperial starship and Yoda is hanging out with Sulu on the bridge.

I don't think Abrams he's a good storyteller. Alias and Lost are probably his best works and for how great those series were they ended quite terribly insofar as story goes. He also recycles plot devices and music scores. Watch his Mission Impossible take and a Star Trek. You'll sense the familiarity.

You combine that with Disney and you'll get an "ok", fast food film. Satisfy you in the instant but you'll forget it and still remember the classics.

Gotta say, as an old Star Trek nut, I was excited when he was chosen to oversee the Star Trek re-boot... not so much because I am a huge JJ Abrams fan, but people "in the know" on these things, kept telling me how great he was...must say, the first Star Trek re-boot flik was fun, for about a half an hour, but the rest, and the sequal were pretty dull... almost got the feeling that the second Abrams got the Star Wars gig, he just lost all interest in the Star Trek "franchise".

That said, I loved the original Star Wars flik, and this trailer certainly looks a lot more like it, in spirit anyways, than the three most recent fliks....probably see it when it comes out on blu-ray.

I am sure you have all seen this by now, but if not, it is good for a chuckle...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0099FXLv2U

J.J. Abrams normally does a great job of keeping the lid on his movies, although this might be too big for him to control.

It certainly seems that way. I think I see at least one story a week online that claims to have set photos or script snippets that reveal something about the storyline. It seems less and less possible as the years go by to keep pretty much anything secret.

Then again, like you said, I can avoid the spoilers just as easily...

Edited by Rubes

It certainly seems that way. I think I see at least one story a week online that claims to have set photos or script snippets that reveal something about the storyline. It seems less and less possible as the years go by to keep pretty much anything secret.

Then again, like you said, I can avoid the spoilers just as easily...

That and the studio can intentionally leak fake spoilers in hopes that the real ones get lost in the sea of fake information.

• 4 months later...