Official Pre-Game Thread: Week 7, Vikings at Bills

Dan

Week 7: Minnesota Vikings at Buffalo Bills

Sunday, October 19, 2014 at 1:00pm

TV Network: FOX (TV Map)

Announcers: Tim Brando, Brendon Ayanbadejo

DirecTV: 706

Bills Radio:

On the call: John Murphy (play by play), Mark Kelso (analyst), Sal Capaccio (sideline)

Flagship: Buffalo – WGR550 (550AM); Toronto - 590 The Fan

Rochester - WCMF (96.5) and WROC (950AM); Syracuse - WKRL (100.9/WKLL 94.9)

Sirius/XM: 139 (Internet 803)

=================================================================

Game Preview:

The Minnesota Vikings made a move toward the future when they handed the quarterback position to first-round pick Teddy Bridgewater.

Bridgewater's opponent Sunday, the Buffalo Bills, didn't subscribe to the same school of thought. They proved as much when they benched second-year quarterback E.J. Manuel in favor of Kyle Orton after four games.

For Buffalo (3-3), the quarterback change emphasized its hope to compete this season. But since Orton took over, the Bills are 1-1 -- the same winning percentage they had under Manuel.

Orton threw for 299 yards and two touchdowns in a 37-22 loss to New England last week. The veteran also turned the ball over twice, both of which led to Patriots scores.

Read more at ESPN game preview...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vikings at Bills NFL.com Preview 

Mark Kelso: Vikings-Bills Game Preview

Playbook: Vikings at Bills

NFL.com Game Center

Team Stats:      Bills         Vikings

Total Yds/Game.... 327.0         314.7

Total Rush............. 101.0          119.8

Total Pass............. 226.0         194.8

Points/Game..........  19.7           17.3

Time of Poss..........  29.8           29.3

----------------------------------------------

Yds/Gm Allowed... 336.7         332.0

Rush Yards...........  71.0         119.6

Pass Yards........... 269.2         213.8

Points Allowed........ 21.0           23.8

Source: NFL.com

Overall Offense: Bills - 25th; Vikings - 28st

Overall Defense: Bills - 11th; Vikings -  7th

MatchUp Comparison via SportingCharts.com

Injury Report:

Buffalo Bills 24, 10, 12,

NAME            POSITION    INJURY         WED.   THU.   FRI.    GAME STATUS        

Dareus, Marcell         DT     Not injury related          DNP          -          -          -

Easley, Marcus          WR          Knee          DNP          DNP          DNP          Out

Goodwin, Marquise       WR          Hamstring          -          LP          DNP          Out

Powell, Ty              LB          Ankle          DNP          DNP          DNP          Out

Sanborn, Garrison       LS          Knee          LP          FP          FP          Probable

Searcy, Da'Norris       S          Knee          LP          LP          LP          Probable

Spikes, Brandon         LB          Ribs          LP          LP          LP          Probable

Williams, Aaron         S      Wrist/Neck          LP          LP          LP          Probable

Williams, Kyle          DT          Knee          LP          LP          LP          Probable

Source: BuffaloBills.com

New England Patriots

NAME            POSITION    INJURY         WED.   THU.   FRI.    GAME STATUS        

Kyle Rudolph            TE        Abdomen/Groin          DNP          DNP          DNP          Out

Gerald Hodges           LB          Hamstring          DNP          DNP          DNP          Out

Jabari Price            CB          Hamstring          DNP          LP          FP         Probable

Corey Wootton           DE          Low Back         DNP          DNP          DNP          Out

Sharrif Floyd           DT        Elbow/Ankle          LP          DNP          LP          Out

Linval Joseph           DT          Ankle          LP          LP          FP          Questionable

Chad Greenway           LB          Hand/Rib          FP          FP          FP          Questionable

Cordarelle Patterson    WR          Hip          FP          FP          FP          Probable

Chase Ford              TE          Foot          FP          FP          FP          Probable

Harrison Smith          S          Ankle          FP          FP          FP          Probable

Michael Mauti           LB          Illness          -         DNP          FP          Probable

Source: Vikings.com   

Practice Status                                                                                         Game Status

DNP = Did Not Participate in Practice                                                      Out = Player will not play

LP = Limited Participation - Less than 100% of normal reps                    Doubtful = 25% chance a player will play

FP = Full Participation - 100% of a player's normal repetitions                Questionable = 50% chance a player will play

Out = Player will not play                                                                          Probable = 75% chance a player will play

(-) = Not Listed = No practice status available                                          (-) = Not Listed - No game status available

The Odds:

Line: Bills -4

Over/Under: 43.0

Source: The LineMakers

Up to date lines... if you're in Vegas. 

My Thoughts on the Game: 

After another beat down at the hands of Tom Brady, our team looks to get back on the winning track this week.  And it would appear they’ve got just the right 2-4 team coming to the Ralph to do that.  However, no game in this league is a given.  So, hopefully the Bills come out pissed and ready to take advantage of the weak part of their schedule.  

Bottom line, if they don’t stack some wins over the next month the season is likely another lost one.  

Here’s what I’ll be looking for this week:

1. The Run Game.  Marrone has said its an emphasis.  But, can they turn it around?  The run offense has been steadily sliding down the hill since week one.  The league seems to have figured out Hackett’s scheme and the Bills aren’t adjusting.  So, it’ll be interesting to see how we do after making it a new found emphasis.

2. The DBs.  Facing a weak QB maybe our secondary can look good.  The pass defense has clearly been a weak link on the team.  It would be nice to see if they can use a game like this to improve their standings.

3. Orton.  He needs to not start the game with a couple turnovers in the first quarter.  He’s making a habit out of starting in a hole.  I’m pretty sure EJ can do that.  So, I’m hopeful he’ll finally start the game hot.

4. Mike Williams.  Is he going to play?  How can Hogan be better than him?  I just don’t get that move last week.

5. Marrone and Hackett.  No.. .seriously, I’ve given up; I'm not watching to see if they improve..  They’re not going to suddenly figure out how to develop a proper game plan.  The offense, their baby, has been steadily producing less and less each week since last season.  As I see it, we move the ball in spite of them, not because of them.  They under utilize the players as they continually beat the brick wall with a wet noodle.  It ain’t workin’ and I just don’t think they have a clue how to fix it.

Go Bills!!

Edited by Dan

This game is pretty much a must win game if the Bills want to entertain any thoughts of a playoff push in the second half of the season.

I'm hoping the Bills limit the mistakes, limit the penalties, and bring home a victory today.

Go Bills!!

I predict the Bills will here plenty of boos today if the first play from scrimmage on offense is a handoff to CJ running between the tackles. Another typical 3 and out on the Bills first possession could set a negative tone for the day that results in an embarrassing game.

We better see some new plays and play calling on offense today. At least that would show the coaching staff is actually trying to find something that works.

After a monumental letdown last week, I'm emotionally drained (and we're not even at the half way point). Hoping we can have a decisive win for a change...but nothing is guaranteed.

Ditto. We won't be anything more than the whipping Boy of the century until we beat NE* consistently -and we still can't beat them just once. If we lose our 3rd straight Home Game today, we simply aren't worthy and the countdown to FO firings begin.

Then we start this same old crap all over again..

This is the first game where I feel the Bills are unequivocally the better team. Houston was close, but the EJ and JJ factors and being on the road muddied things. Today, there are truly no excuses not to dominate. I expect them to be rather aggressive on both sides if the ball. If they can't, I know the season needs to play out, but that's unacceptable and I doubt they get much further than they did last year.

@NickelCityBills: Kyle Orton vs. Teddy Bridgewater: http://t.co/f8p2IgUxWN http://t.co/NvFdyXUGUx

This is the first game where I feel the Bills are unequivocally the better team. Houston was close, but the EJ and JJ factors and being on the road muddied things. Today, there are truly no excuses not to dominate. I expect them to be rather aggressive on both sides if the ball. If they can't, I know the season needs to play out, but that's unacceptable and I doubt they get much further than they did last year.

@NickelCityBills: Kyle Orton vs. Teddy Bridgewater: http://t.co/f8p2IgUxWN http://t.co/NvFdyXUGUx

I agree. The Bills are a more talented team than the Vikings in most every key area and the game stats bear it out. Plus, the game is in Buffalo. There should be no reason to not control this game and get a win. I don't think we're anywhere near good enough to expect them to dominate and win easily.. but win, they should do.

I know they want to run the ball, but if they start out with CJ up the middle for little/no gain... I might turn the game off right there!

I agree. The Bills are a more talented team than the Vikings in most every key area and the game stats bear it out. Plus, the game is in Buffalo. There should be no reason to not control this game and get a win. I don't think we're anywhere near good enough to expect them to dominate and win easily.. but win, they should do.

I know they want to run the ball, but if they start out with CJ up the middle for little/no gain... I might turn the game off right there!

Better keep your remote handy.

Paul Hamilton on GR just said he thinks Marrone will be fired (probably during the week off) if they lose to Minnesota. I can't cheer for the Bills to lose, but if they do, that would be a nice consolation prize.

I'm sure it's just his opinion. I doubt Terry would make a change so soon. He'd have someone come in to look over the organization first.

Edited by voodoo poonani

When Chan was here we had some offense & no D. Now we have defense & poor offensive play calling. Too bad we can't get it all together.

I feel the schemes last week against NE were terrible. We should have been spreading the field with some 5-wide sets but instead we were bunching everyone up with 2-TE sets. Who was the idiot making that decision?

Paul Hamilton on GR just said he thinks Marrone will be fired (probably during the week off) if they lose to Minnesota. I can't cheer for the Bills to lose, but if they do, that would be a nice consolation prize.

Thats hardcore but i agree. He lost me when i saw he loves punting.