Please tell me why Kyle Orton is not the long term answer ?

HOUSE

Let's remember that the offense scored just 17 points and gave away 7 - a net offensive output of 10 points.

I am happy that they one and I'll even acknowledge that Orton just threw some passes that Manuel shied away from even attempting, but if it weren't for a miraculous catch by Watkins, nobody would be talking about Orton as an answer.

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he plays well, stays healthy and keeps this team in a competitive situation he will continue to be the starter. It may last a half dozen games, it may last a half dozen years. He controls his own destiny and yes, I see no reason he cant be a long term starter. As long as he helps the team win football games. And...EJ will be fine. I honestly believe he's in a good spot too.... learning the craft behind Kyle.

Sorry, EJ doesn't have the arm.....I have seen enough.

Willie Mcginest claimed the more games he plays he goes from hot to cold. I still say keep drafting QB's but I think Orton is a solid band aid for this year.

And Heath Evans says he may have a good game or two and then revert back to the norm, which I assume means not good.

Of course both these guys are Pats after all so maybe they are concerned that Orton will be a major equalizer in considering just who gets to win the Division.

That's what I suspect actually.

And Heath Evans says he may have a good game or two and then revert back to the norm, which I assume means not good.

Of course both these guys are Pats after all so maybe they are concerned that Orton will be a major equalizer in considering just who gets to win the Division.

So Heath Evans, a retired player that was on 4 teams and won his only ring with the saints is lying in his interviews about ortons ability because he's scared that a team he played on for 3 years almost a decade ago might lose to orton? That's your suspicion?

Not that a qb that's struggled to hold jobs in the league might actually be inconsistent? Or at lest viewed that way by peers?

Edited by NoSaint

I disagree about Orton being inconsistent. Yes, he has games with good results and games with bad results. Most of that is luck and the level of the competition. But you pretty much get the same guy every game -- same strengths, same weaknesses. I think that was true of Fitz too. It doesn't seem to be true of some other QBs who appear to get rattled. Unfortunately, that was EJ (he's young, it happens, he may get over it).

So Heath Evans, a retired player that was on 4 teams and won his only ring with the saints is lying in his interviews about ortons ability because he's scared that a team he played on for 3 years almost a decade ago might lose to orton? That's your suspicion?

Not that a qb that's struggled to hold jobs in the league might actually be inconsistent? Or at lest viewed that way by peers?

Sounds like you are not familiar with Evan's obvious attachment to the Pats.

Part of his presentation/introduction as an analyst often includes references to his being someone in the know about their organization, in particular how they go about their business based upon his acquaintance with it. He is frequently introduced in a NFLN segment as an ex Pat, just as McGinest is. Somehow nothing is said about his having played for other teams. Whether the connection is actually meaningful is irrelevant. By his comments it's apparent (at least to me) that he is partisan, favorably inclined to that team, and therefore it is not unreasonable to speculate that he is not so favorably inclined towards that team's competitors. Exactly the same thing can be said about McGinest, who BTW also played for the Browns, but is, you know, a Pat.

I don't have a problem with their affection for their team. It's hardly unnatural.

I disagree about Orton being inconsistent. Yes, he has games with good results and games with bad results. Most of that is luck and the level of the competition. But you pretty much get the same guy every game -- same strengths, same weaknesses. I think that was true of Fitz too. It doesn't seem to be true of some other QBs who appear to get rattled. Unfortunately, that was EJ (he's young, it happens, he may get over it).

I suppose we will find out by now having the opportunity to see all of his games whether the likes of Evans, McGinest (and I might add Tom Jackson) are right about his tendency to be spotty is accurate or not.

Based on what I've seen over the years I would agree he seems pretty much always to be the same guy.

A lot of what these guys say sounds to me like conventional wisdom and received notions.

We are I suspect legit as contenders for the AFC East crown with him under centre, which certainly we were not before he got the nod.

I did say, Fitz 2.0 ;-)

If Orton is better than Fitz, what an indictment of Nix/Brandon for signing Fitz to that ridiculous contract --- they could have had Orton back then for a prayer !

They could have had Russell Wilson for a third.

The Bills just don't know QBs.

If Kyle Orton does well in Buffalo I'm inclined to think its because he was the only guy available, not because they know how to pick 'em.

Considering the way our franchise drafts QBs, Uncle Rico will be our Qb for the next 5-6 years. Good enough not to suck and can make all the throws plus read a defense and react to what he sees quickly. Fitzy could have been that guy.....if his arm was a noodle. But it is.

?? Not wanting to make this about Fitz, but he's rocking 65% completions, 7.7 YPA, his team is 3-2 and tied for 1st in their division, he's got two WR on track for 1000+ yd seasons - the only thing not to like is the 6 picks, but 3 of them came in one game (Giants).

Can't say that's Manning-esque but it begs the question how you define awful?

He was 4-1 in Buffalo to start a season and beat the Patriots and had everybody feeling good. I love Fitz for who and what he is, but unfortunately that is not going to be a consistently good NFL QB. Rooting for him to have a 16 game hot streak before regressing to his talent level because I think that would be fun and he deserves it.

I think Kyle can be a darn good QB and help us get to the playoffs this year hopefully. Just because other teams wanted to bring in some other QB who was supposed to be great and wasn't doesn't mean those teams just made bad decisions. Those NFL Channel ex jocks just spout out conventional wisdom and stuff to sell advertising. I wouldn't give much credence to anything they say. They once said we traded up for Trent for example.

I've seen him play quite a bit over the years and always thought he was a real QB who could read the defense, call audibles, hit open WRs etc. And he proved to do that Sunday. I only see him getting better as he gets more time and more rapport with his WRs.

He's our guy for now, let's just wait and see how he does and re evaluate later when he have a lot more information.

If we do make the playoffs, shoving him aside for someone else would be really dumb IMHO.

Let's remember that the offense scored just 17 points and gave away 7 - a net offensive output of 10 points.

I am happy that they one and I'll even acknowledge that Orton just threw some passes that Manuel shied away from even attempting, but if it weren't for a miraculous catch by Watkins, nobody would be talking about Orton as an answer.

The point is he could be the answer YET some are saying he is not. Make no sense to me........

I can't help but see a lot of similarities with this Bills QB situation with Orton and the Cardinals situation a few years ago with Warner. Both were good veterans brought in to back-up a talented but raw young QB. Both of those QB's got hurt leaving the veteran to take over the team.

I'm not saying the same thing will happen (I'd say it's extremely unlikely that it will but, I hope it does) what I'm saying is that this Bills team reminds me of that Cardinals team. Both offenses consisted of dynamic playmakers and good defenses. All Warner needed to do was be smart and manage games to win and he ended up doing much more. All Orton needs to do is be smart and manage the game.

Again, I don't know if lightening can strike twice but I hope it does. It's certainly a more exciting team to watch right now with Orton in there. I hope EJ learns what he needs to and can eventually take the reigns back, then they won't have to use another draft pick on a QB.

Warner was more than a game manager and we are drafting another QB even if Orton does well.

I looked at your name quick and thought it said manboobs. :lol:

just like Bellicheats B-)

Why draft another guy? We have a guy we just drafted, EJ Manuel. The plan from the beginning was to let him sit and learn behind Kolb. EJ IS developing. There are things he needs to learn that he can only get from a vet. Things like watching a veteran QB let a play develop before throwing the pass. Things like setting your feet when throwing to improve your accuracy. Things like having a presence in the huddle. EJ can be our QB for a long time, let's use our future picks on Offensive linemen and Tight Ends.

He cant learn accuracy, it's not going to happen.

Do you have eyes? Did you watch him throw passes every bit as bad as EJ? If Sammy doesn't drop all those first down passes the previous game Orton isn't even in there. Have some self respect as a Bills fan. What is so sad about the state of our fandom is we see mediocre(at best) pull one out on luck and we think there's a future there:( We have a playoff capable team and no trigger man. I realize a large percentage of you want to go to the playoffs even if we lose in the first round......SAD!!!!!

The point is he could be the answer YET some are saying he is not. Make no sense to me........

You are also saying you want to know why people think that but don't care about what he's done in the past so I don't know that you have any high ground for logic or reason in the thread.

You are also saying you want to know why people think that but don't care about what he's done in the past so I don't know that you have any high ground for logic or reason in the thread.

All I am saying is to give him a chance before labeling the guy as NOT THE ANSWER. This is a completely different Offense in Buffalo so I could care less about his past

He looks pretty good to me.......I we delay judgement till after this season.....

Edited by HOUSE