Will Schwartz be a Head Coach next year?

Schwartz  

149 members have voted

1. 1. Will Jim Schwartz be a Head Coach in 2015?

• Yes (Head Coach of the Bills)
    • Yes (Of a different team)
    • No

I started a similar poll last year about Mike Pettine and I believe you guys unanimously voted "No". For the record, I was in the "No" camp as well, but we all see how that turned out.

Like most years, there will be a small handful of coaching vacancies after the dust settles from 2014 (Raiders already, and I imagine the Jags, Dolphins, Jets, Titans, and 49ers will be searching). Schwartz' teams may have under-performed in Detroit relative to their talent, but NFL teams have a known history of hiring retreads.

Furthermore, I honestly believe that Terry Pegula will start his regime with a new head coach if Marrone delivers anything less than a playoff berth this year. Terry ended up swallowing a hard pill when he insisted on keeping Lindy Ruff and Darcy Regier, and I don't think he'll risk that again. Not saying it's right, but I think that's how he probably sees it.

In the instance that Marrone is fired, Schwartz is a pretty logical choice. There's already obvious camaraderie with the locker room. Did anybody else see the post-game speech in the locker room? He's a popular guy. An egomaniac, I suspect, but a popular guy.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want to go through that again. I think he might enjoy an extra year to sit back and spend some time in the shadows. But a few attractive landing spots seem to be opening up (SF, possibly Miami, NYJ, Oakland...) he would be stupid not to jump.

I don't think so. He didn't do well as a HC in Detroit, and I think it will take at least a few successful seasons as a DC before he gets seriously considered for HC vacancies. I think about Wade Phillips...good coordinator, not a good HC. This may or may not be the case with Schwartz.

my thoughts exactly.

I was very happy when they hired Swartz. I find it amazing that he is able to take the same talent minus Kiko plus Rivers and turn this defense into a top 10 defense. they are currently ranked 8th overall and are 1/2 in run defense. It's just amazing.

On top of this the Bills don't rush that often and are first in sacks and 4th in INT's.

I don't want to go through that again. I think he might enjoy an extra year to sit back and spend some time in the shadows. But a few attractive landing spots seem to be opening up (SF, possibly Miami, NYJ, Oakland...) he would be stupid not to jump.

Then again, certain franchises (including the Bills) have become coaching graveyards. If I was a hot-commodity coordinator, I'd want nothing to do with Oakland.

We have historically had a terrible run D and now it is solid. I hope we don't lose him, it was awesome seeing him fired up against Detroit. You could tell the game meant more for him, and seeing the players play for him was awesome. That being said, I think we lose him, he is too good.

things go week to week in NFL. If Patriots beat us everything will be doom and gloom again...Pegula will clean house........etc.

Well, that's the perspective of the fans. General managers are paid to be objective. The Bills finished 6-10 and Pettine got hired because it was obvious that his defense wasn't part of the problem in Buffalo. I imagine the same could hold true for Schwartz.

I say no, because his resume with Detroit was less than stellar despite having some great talent. What coaches have been fired and then hired as HCs within 0-1 years? I can only think of Lovie Smith, John Fox, Ken Whisenhunt and Andy Reid. All of them have been to the super bowl. I thought Whis was a poor choice for the Titans and his Super Bowl run was largely aided by Kurt Warner. The Titans look worse this year.

Edited by Big C

I expect him to get interviews but I think Seattle is going to get raided for HC candidates next year. I could see a Hue Jackson type getting a second chance. Todd Bowles, Ray Horton could be hot commodities too.

I expect Miami, Raiders, Jets, Browns (I mean its been a while since they fired someone) to be open. Jags could be but I would be surprised. More and more teams are leaning towards offensive coaches too

I'm sure he will get calls, but he's got amazing talent right here that he will likely stay unless its a great option.

The Jets will be next years Browns, unable to fill that role unless Idzik is fired too

Pettine was different because he had a clean slate never having been a HC so not having this failure attached to him. Plus he was one of the only people who would take that job, and something not normal and not likely to be duplicated this year. I think he will get another shot down the line, but probably not next year.

You never know though. He's a VERY smart guy though, and I could easily see him wowing a GM in an interview setting a la Greggo.

Then again, certain franchises (including the Bills) have become coaching graveyards. If I was a hot-commodity coordinator, I'd want nothing to do with Oakland.

or the Jets. And the 49ers may be wary of taking on someone who is as boisterous as Schwartz. Hopefully the Bills can keep him. Perhaps he's the next Dick LeBeau (great DC, average HC)

I expect him to get interviews but I think Seattle is going to get raided for HC candidates next year. I could see a Hue Jackson type getting a second chance. Todd Bowles, Ray Horton could be hot commodities too.

I expect Miami, Raiders, Jets, Browns (I mean its been a while since they fired someone) to be open. Jags could be but I would be surprised. More and more teams are leaning towards offensive coaches too

I'm sure he will get calls, but he's got amazing talent right here that he will likely stay unless its a great option.

The Jets will be next years Browns, unable to fill that role unless Idzik is fired too

Frank Reich also I would assume is a top HC candidate. I agree, it seems teams are looking for for OC's, and Seattle and other teams also have some great assistant coaches who may go before Schwartz. Also, Rex Ryan would be available if fired by the Jets, and may be able to land a job somewhere.