Will Schwartz be a Head Coach next year?

Schwartz  

149 members have voted

1. 1. Will Jim Schwartz be a Head Coach in 2015?

• Yes (Head Coach of the Bills)
    • Yes (Of a different team)
    • No

They played against the top rated defense in the league for crissakes, and they found a way to win. Of course that way is unsustainable because every single game and game plan and the health of your roster changes every week.

Part of the problem with the OL is not Whaley, it's his coach, Marrone, who sacrifices continuity because he believes in a theory most OL coaches and OCs and HCs do not believe in, that your five best players are more important than playing players at their best positions or playing players together for some time. It's pretty clear that Pears at OG has been an abject failure. That's not Whaley that's Marrone.

Plus Chris Williams has been hurt (not that he was great but adequate). Plus Richardson looks to have some talent but has had only two starts in his career after having to learn OG from scratch, and those two were facing Suh and Watt.

You seem to think the Bills are going to have to face those two DLs every game.

The Patriots currently have a the #4 team in total defense, and are #5 against the pass. So when Buffalo comes out throwing like they did the last two games, and it doesn't work...what then? They have no run game.

The Bills not having decent OG's is 100% Whaley's fault. The buck stops with him. He signed the waste of space FA Chris Williams who graded a dreadful (-21.8), and was the worst linemen on the Rams last year. Even as bad as Legursky was he didn't grade in negative double digits. Then Pears at RT is a complete fiasco, and a big reason why EJ was benched.

Richardson is a rookie at LG so there are going to be growing pains until he proves after some time that he can't get the job done. So, I'll refrain from criticizing him for now. Still, Whaley is directly responsible for the entire teams play. So, whatever Marrone, Hackett do it all falls on the GM.

Lastly, its not just all about the D line, as a blitzing safety can end a career. Just ask Trent Edwards.

EDIT: Sorry to the OP for derailing the thread. The Bills currently have the #5 defense in points allowed, and are #8 in yards allowed. Which is way better then what Pettine finished with. So, should that continue I can see Schwartz getting many looks. That is if Marrone doesn't fall on his face this year, and Jim takes over.

Edited by FeartheLosing

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started a similar poll last year about Mike Pettine and I believe you guys unanimously voted "No". For the record, I was in the "No" camp as well, but we all see how that turned out.

Like most years, there will be a small handful of coaching vacancies after the dust settles from 2014 (Raiders already, and I imagine the Jags, Dolphins, Jets, Titans, and 49ers will be searching). Schwartz' teams may have under-performed in Detroit relative to their talent, but NFL teams have a known history of hiring retreads.

Furthermore, I honestly believe that Terry Pegula will start his regime with a new head coach if Marrone delivers anything less than a playoff berth this year. Terry ended up swallowing a hard pill when he insisted on keeping Lindy Ruff and Darcy Regier, and I don't think he'll risk that again. Not saying it's right, but I think that's how he probably sees it.

In the instance that Marrone is fired, Schwartz is a pretty logical choice. There's already obvious camaraderie with the locker room. Did anybody else see the post-game speech in the locker room? He's a popular guy. An egomaniac, I suspect, but a popular guy.

Bet ya Pegs will keep Marrone if he finishes at least 5-12.

The Patriots currently have a the #4 team in total defense, and are #5 against the pass. So when Buffalo comes out throwing like they did the last two games, and it doesn't work...what then? They have no run game.

The Bills not having decent OG's is 100% Whaley's fault. The buck stops with him. He signed the waste of space FA Chris Williams who graded a dreadful (-21.8), and was the worst linemen on the Rams last year. Even as bad as Legursky was he didn't grade in negative double digits. Then Pears at RT is a complete fiasco, and a big reason why EJ was benched.

Richardson is a rookie at LG so there are going to be growing pains until he proves after some time that he can't get the job done. So, I'll refrain from criticizing him for now. Still, Whaley is directly responsible for the entire teams play. So, whatever Marrone, Hackett do it all falls on the GM.

Lastly, its not just all about the D line, as a blitzing safety can end a career. Just ask Trent Edwards.

Believe me. I think our OGs stink. I think our TE stinks. I think our running game right now needs to be drastically better. My point is that he took over a pretty lousy team, with less than zero depth, and in two drafts and two offseasons, has built a very strong roster overall, and is fighting for first place in the AFC East. I may agree with you a little more after this week, and you may agree with me a little more.

I will bet you anything right now that Doug Whaley does not have a noose around his neck, is in strong standing with the new ownership, will be our GM next year, and quite likely for many years to come.

Believe me. I think our OGs stink. I think our TE stinks. I think our running game right now needs to be drastically better. My point is that he took over a pretty lousy team, with less than zero depth, and in two drafts and two offseasons, has built a very strong roster overall, and is fighting for first place in the AFC East. I may agree with you a little more after this week, and you may agree with me a little more.

I will bet you anything right now that Doug Whaley does not have a noose around his neck, is in strong standing with the new ownership, will be our GM next year, and quite likely for many years to come.

I agree and I sure hope you're right. I really do!

or the Jets. And the 49ers may be wary of taking on someone who is as boisterous as Schwartz. Hopefully the Bills can keep him. Perhaps he's the next Dick LeBeau (great DC, average HC)

Frank Reich also I would assume is a top HC candidate. I agree, it seems teams are looking for for OC's, and Seattle and other teams also have some great assistant coaches who may go before Schwartz. Also, Rex Ryan would be available if fired by the Jets, and may be able to land a job somewhere.

I think San Diego is one of the best teams in the nfl and were moving in that direction during the last half of last season. No way, NO WAY if they finish 11-5 or better is Frank still there next year.

Believe me. I think our OGs stink. I think our TE stinks. I think our running game right now needs to be drastically better. My point is that he took over a pretty lousy team, with less than zero depth, and in two drafts and two offseasons, has built a very strong roster overall, and is fighting for first place in the AFC East. I may agree with you a little more after this week, and you may agree with me a little more.I will bet you anything right now that Doug Whaley does not have a noose around his neck, is in strong standing with the new ownership, will be our GM next year, and quite likely for many years to come.

While I agree that nobody wants to see the Bills win this season more then we do, and I'm sure we both want to see the Bills demolish Tom Brady this Sunday.

I just happen to think that the team could easily collapse for the reasons we both agree are problem areas. I get that you don't see it that way. I also think changes might then be forthcoming if the team has another losing season.

Edited by FeartheLosing

I think San Diego is one of the best teams in the nfl and were moving in that direction during the last half of last season. No way, NO WAY if they finish 11-5 or better is Frank still there next year.

But you have to yell and scream to be a good coach! Reich doesn't do that! I think Reich will be a really good coach one day. You see the game differently as a backup.

And if the Pats somehow light us up on Sunday, there will be a thread wanting to fire JS. Sports fans are so bipolar.

If we fire Marrone and Harbaugh is fired in San Fran then I pray to the football gods that Harbaugh comes to Buffalo.

And I would prefer Schwartz to remain at DC.

I sure hope so. The EJ pick was bad (maybe his, maybe not) and the G situation is bad, but everything else he has done has been great. The trade for Hughes, Seantrell, Kiko, Brown, signing Spikes, Not resigning Byrd (looks like a good move so far, our safeties look good). Mike Williams.

The fact that G has been ignored is OK in my eyes because we basically rebuilt the entire team. Yes I do wish they resigned Reinhart but at the end of the day, Richardson will likely be a quality starting G and that leaves on TE and RG as positions needing an upgrade. Outside of QB that is, which is Whaleys only true blunder I think.