Will Schwartz be a Head Coach next year?

Schwartz  

149 members have voted

1. 1. Will Jim Schwartz be a Head Coach in 2015?

• Yes (Head Coach of the Bills)
    • Yes (Of a different team)
    • No

right around week 12 I said theres a decent chance Pettine leaves, because Rex keeps chatting him up as an HC-candidate (Im sure he just wanted him out of Buffalo), his defense was putting up the sexy sacks stats, and the league is desperate for HCs. Of course I was attacked for that "ridiculous" view and the "wild, unsubstantiated speculating" :blink:

given how it happened, i dont think it even qualified as a decent chance in hindsight. until clevelands situation totally fell apart he wasnt even getting interviews. thats a pretty slim chance of him getting hired, but he happened to get lucky on those long odds.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who's on the hot seat? Marvin lewis if the bengals don't win in the playoffs? Harbaugh...but he'll be hired so fast somewhere else. I doubt san fran hires him as that would be the job guys line up for. Would he go to oakland if sparano can't keep the job? I'd like to think tpegs gives him a healthy raise and says...see what you can do with this defense when kiko comes back. If he builds this defense to be top five the next couple years he can choose his job.

I don't think so. He didn't do well as a HC in Detroit, and I think it will take at least a few successful seasons as a DC before he gets seriously considered for HC vacancies. I think about Wade Phillips...good coordinator, not a good HC. This may or may not be the case with Schwartz.

This is what I think also. I would think it would be a couple of years before he gets a second chance. The talent on this team is helping his cause.

Not likely. Jack Del Rio had a great D his 1st year in Denver and didnnt get a sniff. Schwartz was fired, will take a while for him to be a good sell to a fan base as a head coach.

My only worry would be college but he is making a lot of money I was told. Doubt he goes anywhere.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

I was one of the fans who thought Pettine had a good shot at leaving to become a HC, and Schwartz certainly does as well.

Nobody really knows what to expect from the Pegula's, and how much rope they will give the current regime.

I can tell you that if these new owners know anything about NFL football, and considering the Bills current OG & QB situation. I can 100% say that Marrone & Whaley already have their necks in a noose.

Not likely. Jack Del Rio had a great D his 1st year in Denver and didnnt get a sniff. Schwartz was fired, will take a while for him to be a good sell to a fan base as a head coach.

My only worry would be college but he is making a lot of money I was told. Doubt he goes anywhere.

Right. Plus the Pettine hire was a unique situation where no one anywhere wanted that job. That doesn't happen all that often, although it did once with the Bills when they hired Chan, and in Oakland. But it's never happening again in Buffalo! Ha.

I can tell you that if these new owners know anything about NFL football, and considering the Bills current OG & QB situation. I can 100% say that Marrone & Whaley already have their necks in a noose.

Me thinks you are the one who knows nothing about football if you think Whaley has a noose around his neck. Unless the team completely collapses, which ain't likely.

I don't think so. He didn't do well as a HC in Detroit, and I think it will take at least a few successful seasons as a DC before he gets seriously considered for HC vacancies. I think about Wade Phillips...good coordinator, not a good HC. This may or may not be the case with Schwartz.

Everyone said the same thing about Pettine and he was gone after one year. While Buffalo's D was pretty decent last year they still sucked against the run. While I think Pettine is a good coordinator, I didn't think he deserved a shot as a HC after just one year of bringing a horrible defense to an okay defense.

BigPappy

Edited by BigPappy

Everyone said the same thing about Pettine and he was gone after one year. While Buffalo's D was pretty decent last year they still sucked against the run. While I think Pettine is a good coordinator, I didn't think he deserved a shot as a HC after just one year of bringing a horrible defense an okay defense.

BigPappy

That was because of the twisted situation in Cleveland. Pettine was their 87th choice. That isn't likely to happen again next year. Unless Pettine gets fired. And then they are not going to go back to the Bills DC well.

I'd guess no, and say the Browns were was an incredibly strange situation to even have pettine get to the interview yet alone hire

Exactly. I don't think anyone, when asked this last year about Pettine, would have predicted that the Browns would have to go through 4 other "no thanks" guys til they found a 5th guy to say yes.

Schwartz was a disaster in Detroit. There is no way he would be hired to coach a bad team.

I started a similar poll last year about Mike Pettine and I believe you guys unanimously voted "No". For the record, I was in the "No" camp as well, but we all see how that turned out.

I voted yes because I voted No on Pettine and he left. I'd like to keep a d coordinator for a couple years.

Right. Plus the Pettine hire was a unique situation where no one anywhere wanted that job. That doesn't happen all that often, although it did once with the Bills when they hired Chan, and in Oakland. But it's never happening again in Buffalo! Ha.

Me thinks you are the one who knows nothing about football if you think Whaley has a noose around his neck. Unless the team completely collapses, which ain't likely.

I don't see this team as strong as you do simply because they have a still horrible O line, and its going on two years now. The absolute worst way to try and develop a rookie QB is behind a bad line. Kyle Orton might just be the savior...or one bad hit because the scrubs at OG can't hold a block and his season could be over.

The Bills have virtually no run game, and its like this OC doesn't even try. 40+ passes vs 20 runs is just so unbalanced as you usually see that from losses. The Bills have two very talented RB's and for some reason the Bills OC can't figure out how to build a proper run game. The Bills don't have a superstar at QB, and really need a run game.

The Bills were very, very lucky to win at Detroit as the Lions fell victim to a confluence of problems. needing to start the 4th string RB because the first three all went down with injuries. Their starting superhero at WR who had 7 receptions for 164 yards, 2 TDs his first game re-injured his ankle, and only caught one pass. No NFL kicker misses 3 FG's in a game, and yet it happened.

Whaley still has a chance before the trade deadline to make some adjustments to make sure the team doesn't collapse. Or perhaps sign a well know head case who is about 1000 times better the current players on the roster.

The question is, will he?

Edited by FeartheLosing

I don't see this team as strong as you do simply because they have a still horrible O line, and its going on two years now. The absolute worst way to try and develop a rookie QB is behind a bad line. Kyle Orton might just be the savior...or one bad hit because the scrubs at OG can't hold a block and his season could be over.

The Bills have virtually no run game, and its like this OC doesn't even try. 40+ passes vs 20 runs is just so unbalanced as you usually see that from losses. The Bills have two very talented RB's and for some reason the Bills OC can't figure out how to build a proper run game. The Bills don't have a superstar at QB, and really need a run game.

The Bills were very, very lucky to win at Detroit as the Lions fell victim to a confluence of problems. needing to start the 4th string RB because the first three all went down with injuries. Their starting superhero at WR who had 7 receptions for 164 yards, 2 TDs his first game re-injured his ankle, and only caught one pass. No NFL kicker misses 3 FG's in a game, and yet it happened.

Whaley still has a chance before the trade deadline to make some adjustments to make sure the team doesn't collapse. Or perhaps sign a well know head case who is about 1000 times better the current players on the roster.

The question is, will he?

They played against two of the very best front fours in the league the last two weeks, and the Chargers D is playing great. They were at the top of the league as a running team last year.

He isn't infallible of course. But he rebuilt this team in the year and a quarter he has been in charge, and if you don't see the different across the board, 53 deep, of this team versus the last 15 years, I don't know what to say. Our OGs are not playing well, yes, we know.

Neither are our TE.

But our T, WR, RB (overall), DT, DE, MLB, OLB, CB, S, K, P, and coverage teams are.

They played against two of the very best front fours in the league the last two weeks, and the Chargers D is playing great. They were at the top of the league as a running team last year.

He isn't infallible of course. But he rebuilt this team in the year and a quarter he has been in charge, and if you don't see the different across the board, 53 deep, of this team versus the last 15 years, I don't know what to say. Our OGs are not playing well, yes, we know.

Neither are our TE.

But our T, WR, RB (overall), DT, DE, MLB, OLB, CB, S, K, P, and coverage teams are.

Yea, the team has a great roster, and Whaley found that kicker, punter, and backup QB. Why can't he find decent OG's or TE's? He had two off seasons to correct those issues, and yet they are even worse now. Pears at RG is about as bad as Colin Brown at LG, and far worse then Legursky was at LG.

You can't win games with 40+ passes, and almost no run game. Its what usually kills teams was my point. The way the Bills won at Detroit is unsustainable was also my point. I doubt the Patriots lose their first three RB's, or their kicker misses 3 FG's, or they lose Gronk after one pass.

Sadly I think he will. I think the Falcons job will be available.... and they will be saying "we have the offence we need someone who can get our D to play"..... I sincerely hope he stays, I think he is a great coordinator but my fear is he goes.

When I think of an offensive team that wants a defensive coach to balance it can make sense. However, think of this, Schwartz was defensive with the Titans. The offensive Lions picked him up and he didn't improve their D to the top half of the League. I don't think that will help support Schwartz as a HC. More of a DC.

There are many offensive and defensive coaches that can HEAD coach and institute their specialty to the team. Some can't.

Who knows with Schwarz till he gets his 2nd chance.

So, to answer the question, I think JS will be our DC next year.

Yea, the team has a great roster, and Whaley found that kicker, punter, and backup QB. Why can't he find decent OG's or TE's? He had two off seasons to correct those issues, and yet they are even worse now. Pears at RG is about as bad as Colin Brown at LG, and far worse then Legursky was at LG.

You can't win games with 40+ passes, and almost no run game. Its what usually kills teams was my point. The way the Bills won at Detroit is unsustainable was also my point. I doubt the Patriots lose their first three RB's, or their kicker misses 3 FG's, or they lose Gronk after one pass.

They played against the top rated defense in the league for crissakes, and they found a way to win. Of course that way is unsustainable because every single game and game plan and the health of your roster changes every week.

Part of the problem with the OL is not Whaley, it's his coach, Marrone, who sacrifices continuity because he believes in a theory most OL coaches and OCs and HCs do not believe in, that your five best players are more important than playing players at their best positions or playing players together for some time. It's pretty clear that Pears at OG has been an abject failure. That's not Whaley that's Marrone.

Plus Chris Williams has been hurt (not that he was great but adequate). Plus Richardson looks to have some talent but has had only two starts in his career after having to learn OG from scratch, and those two were facing Suh and Watt.

You seem to think the Bills are going to have to face those two DLs every game.