CBS broadcasts Bills game in low definition yesterday

mrwilson60

For the second week in a row the 1:00 game on CBS was broadcast in s..tty low def by Time Warner in Central New York. It was so bad that I stopped flipping to Fox during breaks in the Bills game because it was painful to switch back. Pretty poor treatment by Time Warner, CBS, or the NFL on the culmination of one of the greatest weeks in Bills history. Anyone else deal with this?

God Bless You MR. Wilson

The sun is shining beautifully on western and central New York on another Monday

Thank You for our team

For the second week in a row the 1:00 game on CBS was broadcast in s..tty low def by Time Warner in Central New York. It was so bad that I stopped flipping to Fox during breaks in the Bills game because it was painful to switch back. Pretty poor treatment by Time Warner, CBS, or the NFL on the culmination of one of the greatest weeks in Bills history. Anyone else deal with this?

God Bless You MR. Wilson

The sun is shining beautifully on western and central New York on another Monday

Thank You for our team

It's time to give TWC a call if you haven't already. Sunday Ticket was in HD for me as well.

HD over the air here in the West Palm Beach, FL area. I only get to see the Bills twice a year in my home since I told Comcast what they could do with their crappy over-priced product. BTW true HD can only be viewed over the air. Both satellite and cable compress the signal, with noticeable loss of quality.

On another note, no one in the local Walmart was pleased to see me in my Bills shirt!

I live in a suburb or Syracuse and I had the same issue yesterday and last Sunday.

I have a second TV going for the other game usually and having to see the difference between the giants on fox and the bills on cbs was torture.

I got onto TW's help twitter account and found some other people in the Syracuse area with the same issue so somehow TW is messing up the CBS feed when they pipe it out to their customers because everyone else I know around here using Fios or Dish had no issues.

CBS had HD cameras on the field. I made sure I checked them. Maybe you are not tuning to the HD feed? There are no networks using SD cameras. This is user error. As in, you are the user and you have failed to tune or set your equipment to HD

I live in a suburb or Syracuse and I had the same issue yesterday and last Sunday.

I have a second TV going for the other game usually and having to see the difference between the giants on fox and the bills on cbs was torture.

I got onto TW's help twitter account and found some other people in the Syracuse area with the same issue so somehow TW is messing up the CBS feed when they pipe it out to their customers because everyone else I know around here using Fios or Dish had no issues.

There were nothing but HD cameras on the field yesterday. If you don't have HD check your device settings, channel is HD or sd, CBS only sent HD to the satellites.

I called Time Warner just as the BILLS kicked off yesterday as I noticed it last week too, but obviously the game was on Fox so it didn't matter much to me. TWC told me the same thing, and I got a woman in Buffalo who said they had a message on their "white board" and read it to me, essentially saying the same thing....called them again this morning to see if it will get resolved by Sunday and they said CBS and TWC technicians are working on it, apparently it is limited to the Syracuse market which also includes the Utica / Rome area....wasn't happy, but just reminded me of watching those old BILLS games before High Def...woman on the phone was very nice and understood my frustration as she was a BILLS fan too...knew much of the history and what was transpiring with the team...nice woman but hope CBS / TWC get their sh*t together before next week!

CBS had HD cameras on the field. I made sure I checked them. Maybe you are not tuning to the HD feed? There are no networks using SD cameras. This is user error. As in, you are the user and you have failed to tune or set your equipment to HD

There were nothing but HD cameras on the field yesterday. If you don't have HD check your device settings, channel is HD or sd, CBS only sent HD to the satellites.

Definitely not. Checked CBS on all three TVs with the same result and CBS was the only channel where HD wasn't working.

Plus once the Jets game started at 4:25 the HD was working without touching anything not to mention the multiple complaints on TW's help twitter feed from people in the Syracuse issue having the same problem.

Making absolute statements like that when you don't have all the facts is kind of amateur hour when problem solving.

God Bless You MR. Wilson

Thank You for our team

Did you make sure to grease the LCD, and LED's before the game?

BTW true HD can only be viewed over the air. Both satellite and cable compress the signal, with noticeable loss of quality.

That's actually not true - even OTA HD is compressed. Granted, compression rates vary from provider to provider, but rarely is there a big difference in picture quality. I used to get OTA HD via an outdoor antennae for my local stations, before DirecTV offered them. When I started getting them through DirectTV, the picture quality is not distinguishable between the two whatsoever.

I called Time Warner just as the BILLS kicked off yesterday as I noticed it last week too, but obviously the game was on Fox so it didn't matter much to me. TWC told me the same thing, and I got a woman in Buffalo who said they had a message on their "white board" and read it to me, essentially saying the same thing....called them again this morning to see if it will get resolved by Sunday and they said CBS and TWC technicians are working on it, apparently it is limited to the Syracuse market which also includes the Utica / Rome area....wasn't happy, but just reminded me of watching those old BILLS games before High Def...woman on the phone was very nice and understood my frustration as she was a BILLS fan too...knew much of the history and what was transpiring with the team...nice woman but hope CBS / TWC get their sh*t together before next week!

Thanks Big Buff,

I spoke with both Time Warner and the local CBS affiliate in SYR this morning. The CBS affiliates engineer was forthcoming in his explanation of the problem. Seems Time Warner was having trouble with their reception of the local CBS feed and decided that the low def was better than none. The CBS affiliates engineer assured me that they are very aware of the issue and will correct it.

In usual fashion Time Warner was dismissive and acted as if the problem was mine, and "helped" me by talking me through the setup of my settings on the cable box. I love being treated like an idiot and being charged $150.00 monthly for the privilege. F... you very much Time Warner.

Thanks Big Buff,

I spoke with both Time Warner and the local CBS affiliate in SYR this morning. The CBS affiliates engineer was forthcoming in his explanation of the problem. Seems Time Warner was having trouble with their reception of the local CBS feed and decided that the low def was better than none. The CBS affiliates engineer assured me that they are very aware of the issue and will correct it.

In usual fashion Time Warner was dismissive and acted as if the problem was mine, and "helped" me by talking me through the setup of my settings on the cable box. I love being treated like an idiot and being charged $150.00 monthly for the privilege. F... you very much Time Warner.

Hahaha!!! Sad, but true on the part of TWC...I'll say this, on so many instances I've hung up and said many rotten things to the people at TWC, but this woman yesterday was super nice....however, nice doesn't fix the problem. Sooooo, at least "they" are working on the issue to correct it! Hopefully, it gets done before Sunday! That, is going to be a barn-burner for sure!!

Jboys: first, I have a wife I actually like a 2 year old little girl I love dearly, so watching the game while I'm hanging out with them is just what Sundays are for me, perfection; second, while the atmosphere cannot even come close to being duplicated in my home, it's one of the reasons I love HD, great picture and never out of sight....not to mention there are no drunk a-holes spilling their beer on me. Bonus

God Bless You MR. Wilson

Thank You for our team

HD on TWC CBS affiliate in Rochester.

Sounds like you need to call your local provider and ask why they !@#$ed you.

EDIT: Just read page 2, seems like you did :)

Jboys: first, I have a wife I actually like a 2 year old little girl I love dearly, so watching the game while I'm hanging out with them is just what Sundays are for me, perfection; second, while the atmosphere cannot even come close to being duplicated in my home, it's one of the reasons I love HD, great picture and never out of sight....not to mention there are no drunk a-holes spilling their beer on me. Bonus

+1 I record it while we are out doing something in the afternoon then we all watch during dinner commercial free. For me, the stadium cannot compete with that.

Edited by CodeMonkey

that sucks. this is either laziness on the affiliates part or the cable provider. impossible to know which. we have 2 national network affiliates in our area that broadcast video in 1080i but audio is in pro logic and not dolby digital. this is the affiliates choice here since the programs are coming from national networks in dolby digital (the same networks are always dd on sunday ticket). i suspect they just haven't invested in the dd broadcast equipment locally here. are other shows on your local CBS station in HD? have you checked the display input resolution that your monitor detects on other shows?

• 2 weeks later...

For all the Syracuse area Time Warner customers who saw this issue week 1 and week 2 was it fixed for the Chargers game?

I was at the game Sunday and am wondering if I am looking at watching the bills in standard def again this week.

HD for me on my local channel through DirecTV. I loathe time warner, and am happy I no longer need to give them a dime. Internet is through GreenLight.

God Bless You MR. Wilson

Thank You for our team

Watched on Directv in buffalo and it looked like crap. Definitely wasn't in HD

I hope you realize that DirecTV transmits in both SD and HD modes. It's possible you are watching the SD channel. Go the the menu on your receiver and see where it's set. I actually have both SD and HD channels show up on my channel guide. Why? Because the SD channels work during bad weather so I can watch something during a thunderstorm.

I hope you realize that DirecTV transmits in both SD and HD modes. It's possible you are watching the SD channel. Go the the menu on your receiver and see where it's set. I actually have both SD and HD channels show up on my channel guide. Why? Because the SD channels work during bad weather so I can watch something during a thunderstorm.

Just as a note. When the weather turns bad, you can go to setting and choose "show SD channels". This way you don't clog up your guide with doubles of the channels all the time.