My preview of the Dolphins game

Lothar

I didn't get to watch the Bills game live out here on the west coast but I did just watch the coaches film on nfl rewind of both the Bills and Dolphins games. Here's what stood out to me.

1. Our offenses are more than just a little similar. Lots of misdirection to try and freeze the linebackers, a somewhat inconsistent, but hopefully improving QB at the helm mixed with taking a couple sporadic shots downfield. Cordy =Albert, I don't care who has the bigger name and Seantrel's at least as good as their rookie right tackle. Their guards may be a little better right now but Woody's better than their backup.

2. Defensively, Wake and Vernon played havoc with the Pats* o-line. Soldier looked lost in the second half trying to keep Wake contained. Again, I see Mario and Hughes as very similar to what the Dolphins have on D. The difference in the lines is we have penetrating DTs in Kyle and Dareus and their inside guys are solid but not nearly as explosive.

While I was impressed with the Dolphins performance in the second half, I think some of their success can be explained by (a) the heat just wore down the interior of the Pats* defense - I mean Wilfork was getting pushed around by the backup center, kinda ridiculous like, and (b) pretty much every successful play the Pats* had in the second half was called back by a penalty, a blow to the head by Chandler Jones after a 3rd down incompletion deep in their own zone, a holding call after Vereen took it for 25 yards down the sideline, an offensive pass interference wiping out a 20 yard gain as Brady had them driving for the lead (I was just shocked they called it even if it was obvious), just to name a few.

What also seemed abundantly clear to me was that Gronk is just a shell of his old self at the moment, still a tough SOB but running and cutting as though his feet were in molasses. Edelman was their only real threat. Either the Miami DBs have gotten immensely better or Lafell and the other wideouts are pretty much incompetent. I'm not sure which is more true at the moment. I think we just flat out have better receivers than New England so that gives me a lot of hope that with a week to prepare for the 5-2 front, if we can get any blocking at all, we should be more successful. The pressure made Brady gun shy and all his intermediate to deep throws in the second half were off target. I'm willing to give some of that credit to Miami but playing at home in 95 degree heat accounted for a good chunk of the Pats* ineptitude in the second half. The biggest difference to me in New England now is that they're missing their best run-stopper and conveniently enough, he will be the difference against Knoshon Moreno when we meet on Sunday.

To be honest, I was more worried about the Dolphins before I watched the tape than after. The game might even be close but if EJ takes care of the ball, and in front of a raucous home crowd celebrating the news of the past week, I have a hard time figuring out how we lose this game. I know the pundits think Miami is 3 points better than us, largely based on how inept we looked in the preseason (and oh yes, our past history) but the fact that our offenses look so similar means it'll come down to defense and a couple big plays.

Spiller and Jackson and Watkins and Woods vs Moreno and Miller and Wallace and Clay. I like our chances Especially at home.

Edited by Lothar

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lothar, nice review. I was at a sports bar watching the Bills, but was able to catch part of the Pats game.

Agreed on just about every point. It was hot last Sunday. It was in the mid 90's and very humid. I live in Tampa so know the weather.

The Pats looked gased in the second half. If EJ performs similar to last week, then it's about our front four getting to Tannehill like last year. He still held the ball longer than he should, but their line is better than it was last year, so I don't expect a 5 sack day. I do see us getting pressure on him.

I have the Bills 17-10. Miami won't get wore down like the patsies. Buffalo has a much better run game and much better offensive line than the pats. It will be a run stopping game with many slants and screens again. Chicago has a much better offense than miami, but miami's oline is better as well. I give our defensive front the nod and say we eventually get to the qb, and we shut the run down better than what patsises did. This is our game and we might even get 24 points the more I think about it. Don't be surprised if our special teams come up with a big game this weekend also.

Am I like the only one around who really thinks this team can go 12-4 on a season? I said 10-6 or 11-5 but feel if we get a few good bounces then 12-4. This miami game will be tough but we have them beat. Many put us down but we are much tougher than people think.

Lothar, posting a good one at 3:45am.

this point spread should be Bills favored by 4. we swept them last year. NE hasnt had a solid defense in many many years , not surprised Moreno gashed them.

not sure if I agree about Miami having weak interior D linemen, but I do know that running right at Cam Wake (and most speed rushers) can be very effective.

i called the Biils winning by 3 in chicago, they'll win by 4 sunday. (Im assuming Aaron Williams is playing otherwise I would say Bills by 1).

relax and enjoy the show.

Did I just enter some bizarro alternate universe?

lol. Those refs are going to be suspended. Roger won't stand for this!

Lothar, nice review. I was at a sports bar watching the Bills, but was able to catch part of the Pats game.

Agreed on just about every point. It was hot last Sunday. It was in the mid 90's and very humid. I live in Tampa so know the weather.

The Pats looked gased in the second half. If EJ performs similar to last week, then it's about our front four getting to Tannehill like last year. He still held the ball longer than he should, but their line is better than it was last year, so I don't expect a 5 sack day. I do see us getting pressure on him.

very well done, thank you! Should be a close, hard fought game. Hopefully we can get it done!!!

I only saw redzone and highlights later but good assessment. Tannywacker looks a bit better this year. Wake is a challenge for any RT but I agree with WG that we need to run at him. They have decent lines but are less talented on the outsides on both sides of the ball. They always play the patsies* tough but they do look better than last year, we seem to have the more talented team though. I think home field with the week we have had we can win, should and will.

From what I saw of the Miami - NE game, the difference makers for Miami were Wake and Moreno.

Take those guys away and they lose talent, effort, spirit, and leadership.

Tannehill is still mediocre at best and only late in the game did he start connecting with his (wide open due to heat exchange) receivers.

My wife and I are making the trip this weekend to the game. This will be my first Bills game in over 20 years and her first. That place is going to be rocking. It is not going to be very fun for the Dolphins. I see a big win for the Bills 27-6 sounds pretty good. See you all there.

The Bills offense should be running a lot of screens, draws and cutbacks early to slow down Vernon and Wake. The Dolphins have had trouble with this in past games versus the Bills, especially Spiller. As the game goes on, the big Bills line should wear down the Dolphins front.

If Gilmore plays, the secondary should matchup well with the Dolphin receivers too. Might have some trouble with Moreno and Miller out of the backfield catching the ball.

Have to think the Bills matchup well though, especially at home.

Bill Lazor is the Miami new offensive coordinator. He was Chip Kelly's QB Coach here in Philly in 2013. Bill is bringing a fast paced offense to Miami, and I think that + the hot weather led to the successful rushing Miami had in the second half last week vs New England. The Bills on D need to be successful on 1st and 2nd down's to create 3rd long opportunities. We cant have our defense getting gassed in the first half then not have anything left in the 3rd or 4th quarter.

My wife and I are making the trip this weekend to the game. This will be my first Bills game in over 20 years and her first. That place is going to be rocking. It is not going to be very fun for the Dolphins. I see a big win for the Bills 27-6 sounds pretty good. See you all there.

ditto w/ me.... haven't been the Ralph since early 2000s, irconically that was also against the Fish. Looking forward to an outstanding day!!

Great post, I also watched it on NFL Rewind and will echo what you have said.

-The Pats* looked warn down, and I think that accounted not just for the defensive line but also the offensive line as well. Cameron Wake sprung to life in the 2nd half, when the OL seemed to be wearing down. In the first half, for the most part, Brady was able to stand in the pocket and deliver. I think this also explains why the Pats* running game went into the crapper. The Dolphins were without Ellerbe, Wheeler and Misi during the game, yet the Pats* weren't able to run all over the Dolphins, thought that was odd. I believe all 3, definitely Ellerbe, will be out this week vs the Bills.

The Bills offense should be running a lot of screens, draws and cutbacks early to slow down Vernon and Wake. The Dolphins have had trouble with this in past games versus the Bills, especially Spiller. As the game goes on, the big Bills line should wear down the Dolphins front.

If Gilmore plays, the secondary should matchup well with the Dolphin receivers too. Might have some trouble with Moreno and Miller out of the backfield catching the ball.

Have to think the Bills matchup well though, especially at home.

Who's going to cover Wallace? From what I could tell on highlights he owned Revis.

Aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh. First off, great post, THANKS! It's so nice to get back to folks posting ACTUAL KNOWLEDGEABLE FOOTBALL CONTENT instead of repetitive drivel welling up from a bottomless pit of ignorant punkitude (y'all know what I mean).

While I was impressed with the Dolphins performance in the second half, I think some of their success can be explained by (a) the heat just wore down the interior of the Pats* defense - I mean Wilfork was getting pushed around by the backup center, kinda ridiculous like, and (b) pretty much every successful play the Pats* had in the second half was called back by a penalty, a blow to the head by Chandler Jones after a 3rd down incompletion deep in their own zone, a holding call after Vereen took it for 25 yards down the sideline, an offensive pass interference wiping out a 20 yard gain as Brady had them driving for the lead (I was just shocked they called it even if it was obvious), just to name a few.

This has to be an alternate universe. Can we possibly dip from the same refreshing pitcher of referee fairness this Sunday?

I hope the Wilforks have unlimited text and talk or Bianca's gonna run up big text overages noting Wilfork's to-do list :w00t:

What also seemed abundantly clear to me was that Gronk is just a shell of his old self at the moment, still a tough SOB but running and cutting as though his feet were in molasses. Edelman was their only real threat. Either the Miami DBs have gotten immensely better or Lafell and the other wideouts are pretty much incompetent.

The Hoodie has long been a proponent of the "next man up" idea, that he doesn't need stars, he will pick up young nobodies and drill them into shape. Welker? B-bye, Amendola is just as good (not). Branch, Lloyd, who needs them? It has worked for a long time. It may be finally biting him. Keep in mind NE won the division last year by running, yep, that's right, running. While they still had far more pass attempts, Brady's completion % has sagged from 65% two years ago (17th in running attempts) to a still-respectable but far more human 60.5% completions. Pats were 2nd in the league in rush attempts in 2012 and 9th last year, both big jumps from 17th the previous year.

Now part of that is McDaniels installing a more balanced attack. But part of it is Brady not having the quality targets he once had. Welker, Gronkowski, Hernandez, Branch or Lloyd vs Edelman, Amendola, and who? Belichek has been very fortunate in his player acquisitions, developing young players and having them emerge when needed (Edelman, for example). That only works when you have a core of proven players for the best to rise into.

If our guys come out fired up and play hard, we can get this done. LET'S GO BUFFALO!

Edited by Hopeful

last year we shut him down in both games except for on long completion in the first game but I always worry about those little fast guys vs Gilmore

He represents a different challenge than the bears larger WRs who don't have that speed. Im thinking same about Gilmore, maybe they have mckelvin on him with man with help over the top all day.

Tempted to predict a Bills blowout, but I'll say Bills win 17-16. Dramatic ending. Fans storm the field. No way do the Bills lose at home with the tidal wave of love, emotion and intensity that will be permeating the stadium. Tempted to fly up from Florida for this one, but with all the vacation time and $$ we've already burned this year I'd need a good divorce attorney when I returned.

Still, it's tempting... B-)

Lothar, thanks for coming down from the hill to share your insights. I compare the Bills and Fish rosters and I don't think Miami comes close to the Bills overall talent level at a number of key positions -- namely LB, DB, RB, and WR. They beat us at TE, and (maybe) QB. The OL and DL are a wash -- unproven OLs and stellar DLs.

Bills by 10.

Oh, and I almost forgot -- smoking doesn't kill people, Nigel Bradham kills people.

Edited by eball

Oh, and I almost forgot -- smoking doesn't kill people, Nigel Bradham kills people.

Good point about Nigel being back. I think that takes away the tight end mismatch.

Also, I really like Robey's blitzes - he just seems to hide behind the line and and suddenly pop up into the backfield. I look for him to have a disruptive day in both coverage and rushing.

Edited by Lothar

The difference in the lines is we have penetrating DTs in Kyle and Dareus and their inside guys are solid but not nearly as explosive

Randy Starks is one of the best DTs in the league, and Earl Mitchell absolutely dominated last week, so I wouldn't look past either of them.

I think if Tannehill is on point this week, the Dolphins most definitely have the advantage. The Dolphins are going to be stacking the box all day, forcing EJ to use his arm. So if it comes down to Tanne vs. EJ, then I'm taking the Phins 10 times out of 10.

Cam Wake should also have a field day on your 7th round rookie tackle, and if he's opposite Cam then Vernon isn't a much easier task. I forsee at least one or two turnovers by EJ by the end of the game due to pressure from them.

The second half is where the Dolphins have the ability to break the game open, though. As long as our oline can hold its own and keep Tanne upright, I don't see Bills overcoming the odds to win it. Even with the major home field advantage. Our D is just too much for your O to handle.

Our LB core is the weakest link, and even they played lights out last week, Should be a good game until about the mid 3rd quarter in my opinion. Then I forsee the Bills O self imploding.

Edited by finfanfromrochester

Randy Starks is one of the best DTs in the league, and Earl Mitchell absolutely dominated last week, so I wouldn't look past either of them.

I think if Tannehill is on point this week, the Dolphins most definitely have the advantage. The Dolphins are going to be stacking the box all day, forcing EJ to use his arm. So if it comes down to Tanne vs. EJ, then I'm taking the Phins 10 times out of 10.

Cam Wake should also have a field day on your 7th round rookie tackle, and if he's opposite Cam then Vernon isn't a much easier task. I forsee at least one or two turnovers by EJ by the end of the game due to pressure from them.

The second half is where the Dolphins have the ability to break the game open, though. As long as our oline can hold its own and keep Tanne upright, I don't see Bills overcoming the odds to win it. Even with the major home field advantage. Our D is just too much for your O to handle.

Our LB core is the weakest link, and even they played lights out last week, Should be a good game until about the mid 3rd quarter in my opinion. Then I forsee the Bills O self imploding.

You're ridiculous, don't talk about your rookie versus Mario, or our DL of which sent 3 to the pro bowl last year. You sound like a homer. Also, overcoming the odds? OVERCOMING THE ODDS? Are you serious with this? If any teams need to "overcome the odds" its the fish coming to Ralph Wilson. Good day to you sir

You're ridiculous, don't talk about your rookie versus Mario, or our DL of which sent 3 to the pro bowl last year. You sound like a homer. Also, overcoming the odds? OVERCOMING THE ODDS? Are you serious with this? If any teams need to "overcome the odds" its the fish coming to Ralph Wilson. Good day to you sir

Your DL is great, I never disputed that. So is ours. JuWaun James has been going against Wake all training camp. Cam Wake > Mario Williams, bottom line there. JuWaun is going to have his hands full, but he is the real deal.

If you're really going to go that route, you should be unable to sleep this week thinking about what Wake is going to do to that 7th rounder, I forget his name. He's got no chance.

--------

Bottom line is, though, these are two great defenses going up against each other. So it's really going to come down to who's O is better, and there's pretty much no disputing that Miami has the overall better O. You can argue that point all you want, but you'd be the homer in that instance.

Miami is running out of linebackers, and doesn't have any safeties. They're basically starting street free agents at linebacker and safety. If our line can hold up a bit against their front five, there will be a lot of opportunities to make plays in the passing game. If I were Miami, I'd stack the box and challenge EJ to make quick decisions - if he gets time, it's over.

As for Miami's offense, we just need to bottle up the running game and force Tannehill to throw it more than 4 yards past the LOS. I don't think the above poster remembers last year's Miami game at RWS - Ryan Tannehill couldn't wait to get back on the bus. Keep making things uncomfortable for him. Don't let him check it down. Unlike Cutler, Tannehill has the patience to check it down all day (he'd prefer it actually) - they need to take the dinks and dunks away from him.

Miami is running out of linebackers, and doesn't have any safeties. They're basically starting street free agents at linebacker and safety. If our line can hold up a bit against their front five, there will be a lot of opportunities to make plays in the passing game. If I were Miami, I'd stack the box and challenge EJ to make quick decisions - if he gets time, it's over.

As for Miami's offense, we just need to bottle up the running game and force Tannehill to throw it more than 4 yards past the LOS. I don't think the above poster remembers last year's Miami game at RWS - Ryan Tannehill couldn't wait to get back on the bus. Keep making things uncomfortable for him. Don't let him check it down. Unlike Cutler, Tannehill has the patience to check it down all day (he'd prefer it actually) - they need to take the dinks and dunks away from him.

Street free agents? Trusnik, our middle LB has been on the team 4 years and is a captain, this is Jenkins second season and he was fantastic last week, and our UFA Chris McCain is the next big star in the NFL, in my opinion. There are plenty of people that think that this LB core is better than our original three. When we get Misi back it's going to be dangerous. He might even be back this week, too.

Safety is also Jimmy Wilson, who has been on the team three years, and has been our starting nickelback for a couple. He graded out really well according to PFF last week too. Was the best player next to Wake, I believe.

These guys are more than competent. As long as they can stop the run, which isn't going to be easy, they have good odds in my opinion.

Edited by finfanfromrochester

Your DL is great, I never disputed that. So is ours. JuWaun James has been going against Wake all training camp. Cam Wake > Mario Williams, bottom line there. JuWaun is going to have his hands full, but he is the real deal.

If you're really going to go that route, you should be unable to sleep this week thinking about what Wake is going to do to that 7th rounder, I forget his name. He's got no chance.

--------

Bottom line is, though, these are two great defenses going up against each other. So it's really going to come down to who's O is better, and there's pretty much no disputing that Miami has the overall better O. You can argue that point all you want, but you'd be the homer in that instance.

Good luck with your hopes and dreams, If I were a fish fan I'd be staying awake at nights wondering why they play the Bills this week of all weeks.. Our Defense is much better than you give them credit for, you act as though Miami is just going to some how wear them down and own them late in the game and If that is what your basing your predicted win on then good luck with that, the intensity and pressure will come all day long from our defense and the 12th man I can promise you that much. Yes you have a good team, but this is just not going to be your week, our offense is full of home run hitters, and I'm pretty sure the coaching staff will account for wake and give him help with chip blocks and double teams. It will be a good game not doubt, but to say your going to wear them down is not something you should pin your hopes on..

You mean except we have much better WR, much better RB, much better LT, probably better OL, and equally unproven erratic QBs?

--------

I will have to disagree with that bottom line.

Ah yes, Cam Wake who had ZERO sacks against the Bills last year. Not to discount the sacks but one came against the TE Hoomanawhateverhisnameis in the 3rd qtr (where was he before that), who should have never been alone on Wake, so thats an error on the Pats blocking scheme, and a sack that Wake should get every time. And the other one came in the 4th qtr, albeit against Solder.

Honestly not worried about Wake, he couldn't beat freaking Erik Pears last year.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

That's a reasonable expectation from a Dolphin backer. Starks and Odrick are good. Better than Kyle and Dareus? No. Wake and Vernon are probably equal to Williams and Hughes. Whose lines are really better? And the mismatches between your d-line and our o-line are almost identical when switched. Playing at home also gives that fractional advantage for the offense. If this game were in Miami, I'd maybe think differently. I still say that surprise 5-2 look and the heat were the main reasons for the Pats* collapse. The Bills are gonna have to chip and give Seantrel a little help all day even if he's a better tackle than James. But then conversely, James will be going up against Hughes and not Ninkovich so the Dolphins will need to help him as well. I also think our back 7 is definitely deeper and more talented than yours.

The one advantage you have may have is at QB but the problem Tannehill has had with accuracy is not completely solved by Lazor's offense either. And our secondary is better than the Pats* ... or yours.

Not surprisingly, because I'm a Bills fan, I think our offense will wear down your defense. We'll see whose week 1 performance was closer to a mirage.

Edited by Lothar

You mean except we have much better WR, much better RB, much better LT, probably better OL, and equally unproven erratic QBs?

Well, with all do respect, one of us is most definitely out of our minds it appears.

Let me start with WR. Mike Wallace is better than any of your WRs, easily. Brian Hartline probably is too, but I won't try and make that argument. So there we automatically win the WR convo with Mike Wallace alone.

RBs you win no doubt, but with Moreno it's closer than it would have been.

LT comment is pretty much a joke, as Branden Albert is probably better than Glenn, but I'll call them equal for the sake of this argument.

and quite frankly your QB comment is laughable as well. anyone with any knowledge on the NFL would take Tannehill over Manuel, it's not even a question. That's not me being a biased fan, that's just reality. And I'm not even making the argument that Tanne is amazing, because he clearly is not even close -- yet. But to claim he's worse than Manuel, who hasn't even played a full NFL season, is delusional.

Street free agents? Trusnik, our middle LB has been on the team 4 years and is a captain, this is Jenkins second season and he was fantastic last week, and our UFA Chris McCain is the next big star in the NFL, in my opinion. There are plenty of people that think that this LB core is better than our original three. When we get Misi back it's going to be dangerous. He might even be back this week, too.

Safety is also Jimmy Wilson, who has been on the team three years, and has been our starting nickelback for a couple. He graded out really well according to PFF last week too. Was the best player next to Wake, I believe.

These guys are more than competent. As long as they can stop the run, which isn't going to be easy, they have good odds in my opinion.

Seriously, do you not even know your own players? Trusnik who has started all of 5 games in 4 years in Miami, and has recorded a whopping 72 tackles in 4 years is going to be your saviour in the middle?

Who has a better run game, Buffalo or New England? Taken in a vacuum, Buffalo. As a compliment to the passing game, probably New England, but Buffalo has much MUCH better receivers. So, I'd expect the offense (minus the heat and humidity) to perform much better than New England's did. Period. We're also at home. I don't know on what planet, based on the (admittedly small) sample set we have, the edge would go to Miami's defense over our offense.

On the flip side, Miami ran the ball at will against New England. This should come as no surprise since (a) the run-stuffing NT they've relied on for a decade (Wilfork) is about three years past his prime and has entered the nosedive portion of his career which was always inevitable. But more importantly (b) their best run-stuffing LB...IS NOW A BUFFALO BILL.

So, to me, it makes NO SENSE to say that the Miami offense is to be feared because they ran with success against New England last week.

Well, with all do respect, one of us is most definitely out of our minds it appears.

Let me start with WR. Mike Wallace is better than any of your WRs, easily. Brian Hartline probably is too, but I won't try and make that argument. So there we automatically win the WR convo with Mike Wallace alone.

LT comment is pretty much a joke, as Branden Albert is probably better than Glenn, but I'll call them equal for the sake of this argument.

and quite frankly your QB comment is laughable as well. anyone with any knowledge on the NFL would take Tannehill over Manuel, it's not even a question. That's not me being a biased fan, that's just reality. And I'm not even making the argument that Tanne is amazing, because he clearly is not even close -- yet. But to claim he's worse than Manuel, who hasn't even played a full NFL season, is delusional.

Credibility, meet the open window.

hmmmm Edited by YoloinOhio