My preview of the Dolphins game

Lothar

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck with your hopes and dreams, If I were a fish fan I'd be staying awake at nights wondering why they play the Bills this week of all weeks.. Our Defense is much better than you give them credit for, you act as though Miami is just going to some how wear them down and own them late in the game and If that is what your basing your predicted win on then good luck with that, the intensity and pressure will come all day long from our defense and the 12th man I can promise you that much. Yes you have a good team, but this is just not going to be your week, our offense is full of home run hitters, and I'm pretty sure the coaching staff will account for wake and give him help with chip blocks and double teams. It will be a good game not doubt, but to say your going to wear them down is not something you should pin your hopes on..

What it really comes down to for me is this:

Which offense will struggle more against which defense?

If you're going off last year, you guys take the win hands down. But this is a new squad. New offense, new enthusiasm. Pretty much all aspects of our team are improved.

Your D is overall better than ours, but I believe our O is better than yours. I just don't have faith that Manuel is the real deal. So as long as we can stop the run, which is not guaranteed at all, we have the better shot in my opinion.

Well, with all do respect, one of us is most definitely out of our minds it appears.

Let me start with WR. Mike Wallace is better than any of your WRs, easily. Brian Hartline probably is too, but I won't try and make that argument. So there we automatically win the WR convo with Mike Wallace alone.

RBs you win no doubt, but with Moreno it's closer than it would have been.

LT comment is pretty much a joke, as Branden Albert is probably better than Glenn, but I'll call them equal for the sake of this argument.

and quite frankly your QB comment is laughable as well. anyone with any knowledge on the NFL would take Tannehill over Manuel, it's not even a question. That's not me being a biased fan, that's just reality. And I'm not even making the argument that Tanne is amazing, because he clearly is not even close -- yet. But to claim he's worse than Manuel, who hasn't even played a full NFL season, is delusional.

There is not a GM in the league who would take Mike Wallace, Brian Hartline, Brandon Gibson and Jarvis Nobody over Sammy Watkins, Mike Williams, Robert Woods and Marquis Goodwin. Not one.

Glenn is already better than Alpert. He gave up 1.5 sacks last year and dominated in both the run and pass game and completely dominated Wake when they played.

As far as the QBs are concerned, I would take Tannehill over EJ right now, too. But what I said was they were both erratic and unproven, which they are.

Randy Starks is one of the best DTs in the league, and Earl Mitchell absolutely dominated last week, so I wouldn't look past either of them.

I think if Tannehill is on point this week, the Dolphins most definitely have the advantage. The Dolphins are going to be stacking the box all day, forcing EJ to use his arm. So if it comes down to Tanne vs. EJ, then I'm taking the Phins 10 times out of 10.

Cam Wake should also have a field day on your 7th round rookie tackle, and if he's opposite Cam then Vernon isn't a much easier task. I forsee at least one or two turnovers by EJ by the end of the game due to pressure from them.

The second half is where the Dolphins have the ability to break the game open, though. As long as our oline can hold its own and keep Tanne upright, I don't see Bills overcoming the odds to win it. Even with the major home field advantage. Our D is just too much for your O to handle.

Our LB core is the weakest link, and even they played lights out last week, Should be a good game until about the mid 3rd quarter in my opinion. Then I forsee the Bills O self imploding.

I'm not sure about most of this...

Randy Starks is one of the best DTs in the league, and Earl Mitchell absolutely dominated last week, so I wouldn't look past either of them.

Did Starks play in either of the two Buf-Mia games last year, or was he injured? I can't remember. I do remember Buffalo gashing Miami for 203 yards on the ground in Week 16, so I'm not confident that Miami's DTs are as stout as you're claiming. There's also the factor that Buffalo's OL is improved from the Legursky days.

I think if Tannehill is on point this week, the Dolphins most definitely have the advantage. The Dolphins are going to be stacking the box all day, forcing EJ to use his arm. So if it comes down to Tanne vs. EJ, then I'm taking the Phins 10 times out of 10.

Stacking the box is incredibly dangerous against this receiving corps. You NEED to double Sammy Watkins; manning up is not an option. Simple math then says you're in single coverage on both Mike Williams and Robert Woods, which Buffalo will take any day of the week (unless you're meaning using less than 8 to stack the box, in which case that's not stacking the box, and that's how Buffalo gashed Miami on the ground last year).

Cam Wake should also have a field day on your 7th round rookie tackle, and if he's opposite Cam then Vernon isn't a much easier task. I forsee at least one or two turnovers by EJ by the end of the game due to pressure from them.

Lamarr Houston and Jared Allen had no such "field day", and I wouldn't sleep on Henderson. He fell to the 7th round because of character concerns, not ability concerns. Most scouts felt he was a 1st rounder based on ability, and everything we've seen so far says he's playing up the that potential.

The second half is where the Dolphins have the ability to break the game open, though. As long as our oline can hold its own and keep Tanne upright, I don't see Bills overcoming the odds to win it. Even with the major home field advantage. Our D is just too much for your O to handle.

Until I see the same D that lost twice to Thad Lewis step up against Buffalo's running game, I'll have a hard time believing they're somehow too much to handle. I also need to see this new OL find a way to block a defensive line that is far, far superior in talent to Miami's OL, boasting 3 pro bowlers plus a double-digit sack player. That little note about "as long as Tannehill stays upright" is far too glossed over when you're facing the team with the 2nd best pass rush in the NFL last year.

Our LB core is the weakest link, and even they played lights out last week, Should be a good game until about the mid 3rd quarter in my opinion. Then I forsee the Bills O self imploding.

I'll be interested to see if Miami's banged up LBs can hold up against Buffalo's oversized OL that battered Chicago into submission last week. My guess is no...I'm thinking we're looking at another 200-yard rushing day if that's the case.

Also as Yolo pointed out in the shout box:

Wake had 1 tackle and 1 QB Hit in the 1st meeting last year. Mario had 3 TFL, 2 sacks and 2 QB hits. In the 2nd game, Wake had 3 tackles, 0 sacks and 0 QB hits.Mario had 1 TFL, 1 sack and 1 QB hit.

Now tell me again who should be more worried?

Seriously, do you not even know your own players? Trusnik who has started all of 5 games in 4 years in Miami, and has recorded a whopping 72 tackles in 4 years is going to be your saviour in the middle?

why try and twist my words?

I clearly said he's been on the team 4 years, not started. OP said street free agents...so they are clearly wrong there. dude is a freaking captain. and he looked good last week, good enough at least.

Also as Yolo pointed out in the shout box:

Wake had 1 tackle and 1 QB Hit in the 1st meeting last year. Mario had 3 TFL, 2 sacks and 2 QB hits. In the 2nd game, Wake had 3 tackles, 0 sacks and 0 QB hits.Mario had 1 TFL, 1 sack and 1 QB hit.

Now tell me again who should be more worried?

Wow. against 5 OL that aren't playing this week lol.

We have a new, much much better oline. Whats the point of saying what Williams did to Tyson Clabo and Jonathan Martin last year lol?

I clearly said he's been on the team 4 years, not started. OP said street free agents...so they are clearly wrong there. dude is a freaking captain. and he looked good last week, good enough at least.

We have a new, much much better oline. Whats the point of saying what Williams did to Tyson Clabo and Jonathan Martin last year lol?

I'm curious why you keep equating this word 'new' with the word 'better,'

New England's front is lousy. And against them they did just okay.

Maybe the point was what Wake did against what is essentially the same OL - and Henderson replacing Pears is an upgrade.

You're right for once, lets stick to the point of what Cam Wake did against the Bills last year. And try not to say what he is going to do against the 7th round pick, because that 7th round pick easily beat out the guy that completely shut Wake down in two games last year when opposite him. IIRC, they moved Wake around and he couldn't get by Glenn or Pears in two different games.

Good enough that they signed Kelvin Shepphard this week. And I mean they're the equivalent of street free agents. They are replacement-level players.

Which also includes your best OLmen in Pouncey. Now, you may believe that a street FA and Shelley Smith or Dallas Thomas can double up on Kyle Williams and the other OG can handle Dareus 1-on-1, but I think you'd be terribly mistaken to do so (and I doubt Miami's coaching staff would subscribe to that theory).

Which also includes your best OLmen in Pouncey. Now, you may believe that a street FA and Shelley Smith or Dallas Thomas can double up on Kyle Williams and the other OG can handle Dareus 1-on-1, but I think you'd be terribly mistaken to do so (and I doubt Miami's coaching staff would subscribe to that theory).

Speaking of that... Daerus a bit different than Wilfork

Joe Marino@TheJoeMarino 7m

This is called disposing your blocker to make a play. Marcel Dareus vs. Kyle Long https://vine.co/v/OzFBqhJB2Th

Who has a better run game, Buffalo or New England? Taken in a vacuum, Buffalo. As a compliment to the passing game, probably New England, but Buffalo has much MUCH better receivers. So, I'd expect the offense (minus the heat and humidity) to perform much better than New England's did. Period. We're also at home. I don't know on what planet, based on the (admittedly small) sample set we have, the edge would go to Miami's defense over our offense.

On the flip side, Miami ran the ball at will against New England. This should come as no surprise since (a) the run-stuffing NT they've relied on for a decade (Wilfork) is about three years past his prime and has entered the nosedive portion of his career which was always inevitable. But more importantly (b) their best run-stuffing LB...IS NOW A BUFFALO BILL.

So, to me, it makes NO SENSE to say that the Miami offense is to be feared because they ran with success against New England last week.

Credibility, meet the open window.

I believe what he is "pinning" a win on is that Miami is going to wear down our defense and light it up in the 3rd and 4th quarter in the swelling 65 degree heat like they did against New England. There is no way in hell our defense will let down for one single play this weekend with the 12th man being so fired up. Sure Miami will make plays here and there but there not going to get "wore down"..

I think he needs to watch some tape from last year to remind himself of the inevitable. Buffalo just beat a much better Chicago team in Chicago, I would argue Chicago has a much more explosive offense with Forte, Marshall, Jeffery, Bennett and Holmes. New England is starting to show it has slowed down on offense and Defense from years past, not just based on the Miami game, but going back to last year also.

I expect it to be a good game only because our offense will hold us back a bit with Miami's above average defense, but in the end it's going to come down to defense and the Bills win 24 - 17 with the defense scoring or setting up a score.

I'm curious why you keep equating this word 'new' with the word 'better,'

New England's front is lousy. And against them they did just okay.

Dude. we gave up 58 sacks last year. 5 unpeeled potatoes could've protected Tannehill better. Our new oline is better simply by default. But i've been amazed at how good they are actually gelling together. Once Pouncey is back in week 3 or 4, it's going to be even better.

Point taken. But our OL is definitely better than it was too, especially on the edges. And bigger. If you're counting on your defense to disrupt our offense more than the other way around, especially in Buffalo, I think you may be in for a surprise.

Dude. we gave up 58 sacks last year. 5 unpeeled potatoes could've protected Tannehill better. Our new oline is better simply by default. But i've been amazed at how good they are actually gelling together. Once Pouncey is back in week 3 or 4, it's going to be even better.

Cool. We'll check back in with that evaluation around 4 p.m. ET Sunday.

I believe what he is "pinning" a win on is that Miami is going to wear down our defense and light it up in the 3rd and 4th quarter in the swelling 65 degree heat like they did against New England. There is no way in hell our defense will let down for one single play this weekend with the 12th man being so fired up. Sure Miami will make plays here and there but there not going to get "wore down"..

I think he needs to watch some tape from last year to remind himself of the inevitable. Buffalo just beat a much better Chicago team in Chicago, I would argue Chicago has a much more explosive offense with Forte, Marshall, Jeffery, Bennett and Holmes. New England is starting to show it has slowed down on offense and Defense from years past, not just based on the Miami game, but going back to last year also.

I expect it to be a good game only because our offense will hold us back a bit with Miami's above average defense, but in the end it's going to come down to defense and the Bills win 24 - 17 with the defense scoring or setting up a score.

Miami had better come up with a totally different game plan than the one they had against New England.

That 5-2 nonsense just aint going to cut it with 3W carving up the field. New England simply has no equivalent.

Finfan is obviously a home with no intention to have a serious conversation. Ignore this guy.

I'm not saying what you want to hear, so ignore me? If the Fins do beat up on you guys this week, will you eat crow, because if the opposite happens I'll certainly be here to do so.

I'll be here either way I suppose. But I'm actually trying to have a decent convo about the game. People seem to be lashing out with similar homerisms that you're accusing me of. If you said the same stuff on a dolphins forum, you'd be the homer, so have some perspective please.

Lothar, thanks for coming down from the hill to share your insights. I compare the Bills and Fish rosters and I don't think Miami comes close to the Bills overall talent level at a number of key positions -- namely LB, DB, RB, and WR. They beat us at TE, and (maybe) QB. The OL and DL are a wash -- unproven OLs and stellar DLs.

Bills by 10.

Oh, and I almost forgot -- smoking doesn't kill people, Nigel Bradham kills people.

Talent is as talent does

I'm not saying what you want to hear, so ignore me? If the Fins do beat up on you guys this week, will you eat crow, because if the opposite happens I'll certainly be here to do so.

I'll be here either way I suppose. But I'm actually trying to have a decent convo about the game. People seem to be lashing out with similar homerisms that you're accusing me of. If you said the same stuff on a dolphins forum, you'd be the homer, so have some perspective please.

It's because your cocked-sure of a best-case-scenario evaluation of your team that quite frankly doesn't measure up with reality.

You're right for once, lets stick to the point of what Cam Wake did against the Bills last year. And try not to say what he is going to do against the 7th round pick, because that 7th round pick easily beat out the guy that completely shut Wake down in two games last year when opposite him. IIRC, they moved Wake around and he couldn't get by Glenn or Pears in two different games.

In his defense, Wake was hurt last year. But Glenn is a great player, no disputing that. Your whole oline is good. But to not be concerned about Wake's presence though would be a bit silly. He's still amazing.

Ah yes, Cam Wake who had ZERO sacks against the Bills last year. Not to discount the sacks but one came against the TE Hoomanawhateverhisnameis in the 3rd qtr (where was he before that), who should have never been alone on Wake, so thats an error on the Pats blocking scheme, and a sack that Wake should get every time. And the other one came in the 4th qtr, albeit against Solder.

Honestly not worried about Wake, he couldn't beat freaking Erik Pears last year.

Ummmm...No.

He also beat the RB (Ridley?) on that play. Cam Wake is bad news.

The two guys you need to shut down or at least contain are Moreno and Wake.

Take away the run and their chances sink big time.

Give EJ the time he had last week and it should be a lock.

Don't do those things and you probably lose.

Again, what Wake did was against essential the same OL. That would be ours.

oh my bad, I didn't read that correctly. that's true that Wake has his hands full again this year.

It's because your cocked-sure of a best-case-scenario evaluation of your team that quite frankly doesn't measure up with reality.

Again, reality is subjective. Reality on this forum and finheaven.com forums seems to differ drastically.

I mean, we're given even odds in this away game, so some outside sources have to agree that the Fins have a good shot.

My apologies if I came across disrespectful to some. I actually like the Bills, that's part of why I'm here as I'm from Rochester, but I still believe the Fins will win.

Edited by finfanfromrochester

I didn't get to watch the Bills game live out here on the west coast but I did just watch the coaches film on nfl rewind of both the Bills and Dolphins games. Here's what stood out to me.

1. Our offenses are more than just a little similar. Lots of misdirection to try and freeze the linebackers, a somewhat inconsistent, but hopefully improving QB at the helm mixed with taking a couple sporadic shots downfield. Cordy =Albert, I don't care who has the bigger name and Seantrel's at least as good as their rookie right tackle. Their guards may be a little better right now but Woody's better than their backup.

2. Defensively, Wake and Vernon played havoc with the Pats* o-line. Soldier looked lost in the second half trying to keep Wake contained. Again, I see Mario and Hughes as very similar to what the Dolphins have on D. The difference in the lines is we have penetrating DTs in Kyle and Dareus and their inside guys are solid but not nearly as explosive.

While I was impressed with the Dolphins performance in the second half, I think some of their success can be explained by (a) the heat just wore down the interior of the Pats* defense - I mean Wilfork was getting pushed around by the backup center, kinda ridiculous like, and (b) pretty much every successful play the Pats* had in the second half was called back by a penalty, a blow to the head by Chandler Jones after a 3rd down incompletion deep in their own zone, a holding call after Vereen took it for 25 yards down the sideline, an offensive pass interference wiping out a 20 yard gain as Brady had them driving for the lead (I was just shocked they called it even if it was obvious), just to name a few.

What also seemed abundantly clear to me was that Gronk is just a shell of his old self at the moment, still a tough SOB but running and cutting as though his feet were in molasses. Edelman was their only real threat. Either the Miami DBs have gotten immensely better or Lafell and the other wideouts are pretty much incompetent. I'm not sure which is more true at the moment. I think we just flat out have better receivers than New England so that gives me a lot of hope that with a week to prepare for the 5-2 front, if we can get any blocking at all, we should be more successful. The pressure made Brady gun shy and all his intermediate to deep throws in the second half were off target. I'm willing to give some of that credit to Miami but playing at home in 95 degree heat accounted for a good chunk of the Pats* ineptitude in the second half. The biggest difference to me in New England now is that they're missing their best run-stopper and conveniently enough, he will be the difference against Knoshon Moreno when we meet on Sunday.

To be honest, I was more worried about the Dolphins before I watched the tape than after. The game might even be close but if EJ takes care of the ball, and in front of a raucous home crowd celebrating the news of the past week, I have a hard time figuring out how we lose this game. I know the pundits think Miami is 3 points better than us, largely based on how inept we looked in the preseason (and oh yes, our past history) but the fact that our offenses look so similar means it'll come down to defense and a couple big plays.

Spiller and Jackson and Watkins and Woods vs Moreno and Miller and Wallace and Clay. I like our chances Especially at home.

Nice write up and I agree with your conclusions after having watched the replay. The Pats were putrid up front on both side of the ball. Some of the worst tackling I have seen on the part of the Pats D. Wolfork looks every bit the fat, slow, old player he is. The Miami rush rattled Brady in the second half and his receivers were not exactly helping him out.

The Bills are better up front on both sides of the ball than Miami, particularly their Defensive Front 7, but I think also on the OL. They have better WRs and a better running game. The Bills also have the DBs to match up very well with Miami's wideouts who are not in the same class as Marshall and Jeffries. Tannehill can be rattled into turnovers, if the Bills stop Moreno. They will need another solid performance from EJ, and another solid game plan from Hackett, but this is a game the Bills should win, bringing the Fish back to reality.

You come to the Bills Forum as a Dolphins fan the week we play you and you want to have a decent conversation...lmao.. I wouldn't expect to go to a dolphin forum and expect to have a decent conversation... It's like trying to talk yourself out of jumping off a bridge, you went there and climbed up there, so just jump!

Again, reality is subjective. Reality on this forum and finheaven.com forums seems to differ drastically.

I mean, we're given even odds in this away game, so some outside sources have to agree that the Fins have a good shot.

My apologies if I came across disrespectful to some. I actually like the Bills, that's part of why I'm here as I'm from Rochester, but I still believe the Fins will win.

Odds are based on who the odds makers believe will be bet on the most; not on who they believe will win.

Believing Miami can (or will) win is one thing; talking about how it should be out of reach in the 3rd quarter is, frankly, baseless.

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned to you yet is the proverbial buzzsaw Miami could be walking into:

- Home opener

- Bruce/Thurman/Reed/Post-cancer Jimbo in the house

- 1-0 for the first time in a while

- Brand new owner and new lease on life in Buffalo

That house is going to be absolutely rocking; this ain't New England.

No you're not, you're completely disgarding any advantage we have on you and saying you have every advantage in every respect. The definition of a homer. Go home!

In his defense, Wake was hurt last year. But Glenn is a great player, no disputing that. Your whole oline is good. But to not be concerned about Wake's presence though would be a bit silly. He's still amazing.

I think most are very concerned about Wake. I don't consider our OL "good" as a whole, but our LT has played very well and it should be a better OL than last year, even if only slightly.

You come to the Bills Forum as a Dolphins fan the week we play you and you want to have a decent conversation...lmao.. I wouldn't expect to go to a dolphin forum and expect to have a decent conversation... It's like trying to talk yourself out of jumping off a bridge, you went there and climbed up there, so just jump!

I'll admit I got a little heated making some points, but I think discussion between fans is good. It makes my work day go by faster anyway :thumbsup:

Odds are based on who the odds makers believe will be bet on the most; not on who they believe will win.

Believing Miami can (or will) win is one thing; talking about how it should be out of reach in the 3rd quarter is, frankly, baseless.

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned to you yet is the proverbial buzzsaw Miami could be walking into:

- Home opener

- Bruce/Thurman/Reed/Post-cancer Jimbo in the house

- 1-0 for the first time in a while

- Brand new owner and new lease on life in Buffalo

That house is going to be absolutely rocking; this ain't New England.

/thread