My preview of the Dolphins game

Lothar

No you're not, you're completely disgarding any advantage we have on you and saying you have every advantage in every respect. The definition of a homer. Go home!

I think you're just upset I'm not saying exactly what you want to hear.

I give the Bills credit for a great D and a great run game, you must have missed that in previous posts of mine.

Try not to get so worked up and just take my opinions as they are -- opinions from a fan of the opposing team.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Odds are based on who the odds makers believe will be bet on the most; not on who they believe will win.

Believing Miami can (or will) win is one thing; talking about how it should be out of reach in the 3rd quarter is, frankly, baseless.

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned to you yet is the proverbial buzzsaw Miami could be walking into:

- Home opener

- Bruce/Thurman/Reed/Post-cancer Jimbo in the house

- 1-0 for the first time in a while

- Brand new owner and new lease on life in Buffalo

That house is going to be absolutely rocking; this ain't New England.

Didn't you hear? Dolphans are taking over the Ralph!

Odds are based on who the odds makers believe will be bet on the most; not on who they believe will win.

Believing Miami can (or will) win is one thing; talking about how it should be out of reach in the 3rd quarter is, frankly, baseless.

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned to you yet is the proverbial buzzsaw Miami could be walking into:

- Home opener

- Bruce/Thurman/Reed/Post-cancer Jimbo in the house

- 1-0 for the first time in a while

- Brand new owner and new lease on life in Buffalo

That house is going to be absolutely rocking; this ain't New England.

Well in my defense I said 3rd quarter is where we will start to show our dominance, it won't be a blowout by the half. I still think it will be close.

And the last point is one of my main concerns actually. The HF advantage is bigger than it's ever been this week for Buffalo.

McCain was a UDFA, the very definition of a street player. Jenkins was a #4 pick who couldn't get on the field.

TBF to McCain, he was the highest rated 4-3 OLB in the preseason and blocked a punt plus sacked Brady in his first ever game. Jenkins provides good coverage but lacks instincts against the run(hence being a backup) or at least that's what we thought, he looked pretty good against the Pats.

Just from this discussion, it's pretty obvious that both teams are fairly evenly matched... with some advantages here and there for both sides. Most likely this will be a close game, and it should be exciting. Hopefully the Bills don't let the fans down. :)

Basically how I feel but with a Dolphins win :D

...Wilfork was getting pushed around by the backup center, kinda ridiculous like...

Has anyone watched any of New Englands pre-season games when Wilfork was playing? Maybe that Achilles injury from last year spells the end of his former dominance?

Fat guy and a little tendon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYB3Fx0a8-4

Edited by Beebes Bubble

Has anyone watched any of New Englands pre-season games when Wilfork was playing? Maybe that Achilles injury from last year spells the end of his former dominance?

Fat guy and a little tendon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYB3Fx0a8-4

Don't take everyone's word. Wilfork was getting worked more in the 2nd half but also was blowing up the interior of our OL. Credit to new OL coach John Benton nonetheless.

oh my bad, I didn't read that correctly. that's true that Wake has his hands full again this year.

Again, reality is subjective. Reality on this forum and finheaven.com forums seems to differ drastically.

Finfan, I think the point is, all teams can look great on paper at the start of the season. The second game of the season is not much advanced, because at this point no one can tell whether the Bills beat a strong Chicago team and the Phins disassembled a weak NE team, or vice versa.

The reality is that while the Phins had a better record last year, the Bills defeated the Phins twice last year with a QB so good, we cut him in preseason and no one else wanted him. You feel your team is much improved this year due to improved OL etc. but so do we - Henderson is a 7th round tackle, but he beat out the incumbent Eric Pears and a 2nd round pick, Cyrus Kouandjio, with his play in preseason to win the spot and send Pears over to RG, where he is viewed as a huge upgrade on last year's model.

This year's Bills WR corp of Watkins, Williams, and Woods is also viewed locally as a huge upgrade over Stevie Johnson, Woods, and TJ Graham from last year.

As for QB? Tannehill had a markedly mediocre rookie season in 2012 with 58.3% completion, 12 TD, and 13 INTs but to his credit, improved significantly last year.

EJ's rookie season last year was not markedly better than Tannehill's rookie season with 58.8% completion, 11 TD, and 9 INT. Most rookies do take a big step between their rookie and 2nd season, so I wouldn't be too hasty to dump on EJ vs Tannehill. I do think EJ had a bit of a better game last week - the passing yardage is about the same, but 73% completions is a bit more efficient than 56%, don't you agree? EJ threw a pick, but so did Tannehill.

Cameron Wake is a quality player, there is no question, with 3 pro-bowls to his credit. But so is our "Williamsville" of Mario Williams and Kyle Williams, and losing Dion Jordan to suspension had to be a big blow to you.

We do have some serious questionmarks. Byrd's departure left ? in the secondary that it's not clear have been filled, and losing Kiko Alonso at LB was a blow - we were hoping great things from Spikes and Kiko on the field at the same time. But losing Reshad Jones to suspension has also got to hurt you, right.

A little more learning about our team, acknowledgement of possible problems, and not so much Wake > Mario would help sustain the quality conversation you say you're trying to have.

I'm expecting a good, hard fought game and just hope the Zebras call it fairly as many of us felt we got gouged in Chi-town last week and won anyway.

Cheers!

I just thought I'd give a little stat. Manuel completed just over 72% of his passes last week, and Tannahill completed 58%. Yes Tanny threw the ball 10 times more than Manuel, but that should have given him 10 more opportunities to complete a pass not 10 more chances to miss his targets against an average New England defense.

You come to the Bills Forum as a Dolphins fan the week we play you and you want to have a decent conversation...lmao.. I wouldn't expect to go to a dolphin forum and expect to have a decent conversation... It's like trying to talk yourself out of jumping off a bridge, you went there and climbed up there, so just jump!

Actually, Mike, this being IMHO one of the best and most knowledgeable fan boards at its core, it's quite possible to have a great discussion with an "enemy fan" the week before the game.

I have seen several. The thing is, you have to come in with some knowledge and acknowledgement of your own team's flaws and not just "our DL > your DL nanna nanna boo boo" when they're both 3x pro bowlers and highly regarded.

Which finfan here hasn't so far, but hey, maybe he can learn.

Scariest part about this week for me is, it's a game the Bills traditionally find a way to loose. It's tough to see us losing. That's the biggest fear. Ha

So true, Mango, I'm far more afraid of our own players losing focus and making stupid mistakes or losing the "must do" will to win than I am of the Phins. We have seen the Bills be their own worst enemy too many times and it remains to be seen if this year's model, stoked by last weeks win and the ownership news, differs.

Actually, Mike, this being IMHO one of the best and most knowledgeable fan boards at its core, it's quite possible to have a great discussion with an "enemy fan" the week before the game.

I have seen several. The thing is, you have to come in with some knowledge and acknowledgement of your own team's flaws and not just "our DL > your DL nanna nanna boo boo" when they're both 3x pro bowlers and highly regarded.

Which finfan here hasn't so far, but hey, maybe he can learn.

I agree, and I should probably have worded it a bit better, but my point is also to your point. If your going to come here and be one sided without knowledge your not going to enter into a decent conversation..

Finfan, I think the point is, all teams can look great on paper at the start of the season. The second game of the season is not much advanced, because at this point no one can tell whether the Bills beat a strong Chicago team and the Phins disassembled a weak NE team, or vice versa.

The reality is that while the Phins had a better record last year, the Bills defeated the Phins twice last year with a QB so good, we cut him in preseason and no one else wanted him. You feel your team is much improved this year due to improved OL etc. but so do we - Henderson is a 7th round tackle, but he beat out the incumbent Eric Pears and a 2nd round pick, Cyrus Kouandjio, with his play in preseason to win the spot and send Pears over to RG, where he is viewed as a huge upgrade on last year's model.

This year's Bills WR corp of Watkins, Williams, and Woods is also viewed locally as a huge upgrade over Stevie Johnson, Woods, and TJ Graham from last year.

As for QB? Tannehill had a markedly mediocre rookie season in 2012 with 58.3% completion, 12 TD, and 13 INTs but to his credit, improved significantly last year.

EJ's rookie season last year was not markedly better than Tannehill's rookie season with 58.8% completion, 11 TD, and 9 INT. Most rookies do take a big step between their rookie and 2nd season, so I wouldn't be too hasty to dump on EJ vs Tannehill. I do think EJ had a bit of a better game last week - the passing yardage is about the same, but 73% completions is a bit more efficient than 56%, don't you agree? EJ threw a pick, but so did Tannehill.

Cameron Wake is a quality player, there is no question, with 3 pro-bowls to his credit. But so is our "Williamsville" of Mario Williams and Kyle Williams, and losing Dion Jordan to suspension had to be a big blow to you.

We do have some serious questionmarks. Byrd's departure left ? in the secondary that it's not clear have been filled, and losing Kiko Alonso at LB was a blow - we were hoping great things from Spikes and Kiko on the field at the same time. But losing Reshad Jones to suspension has also got to hurt you, right.

A little more learning about our team, acknowledgement of possible problems, and not so much Wake > Mario would help sustain the quality conversation you say you're trying to have.

I'm expecting a good, hard fought game and just hope the Zebras call it fairly as many of us felt we got gouged in Chi-town last week and won anyway.

Cheers!

Now this right here is what I'm talking about. Good insight, I learned a couple things from this post!

I will definitely admit you guys have the upper hand off the bat from the two wins last year, and the major HF advantage.

And I hear you in regards to simply stating who is better than whom. I'll work on add a little more substance to my posts!

I, too am expecting a great game!

Now this right here is what I'm talking about. Good insight, I learned a couple things from this post!

I will definitely admit you guys have the upper hand off the bat from the two wins last year, and the major HF advantage.

And I hear you in regards to simply stating who is better than whom. I'll work on add a little more substance to my posts!

Thanks for sparking a good discussion. You're welcome here any time.

Sounds like a plan, I'll drink to that :beer:

I wish the Dolphins the best, especially when they're playing the Pats or the Jets, just not when they're playing the Bills! GO BILLS!

Thanks for sparking a good discussion. You're welcome here any time.

'Preciate it. This is a great forum, btw. Reminds me a lot of my personal go to Dolphins site, finheaven, in terms of the amount of solid contributions and content.

Sounds like a plan, I'll drink to that :beer:

I wish the Dolphins the best, especially when they're playing the Pats or the Jets, just not when they're playing the Bills! GO BILLS!

Haha I hear you. I always support the Bills too. It doesn't hurt that all my friends are fans and I'm watching them every year at St John Fisher. They are no doubt on the upswing.

'Preciate it. This is a great forum, btw. Reminds me a lot of my personal go to Dolphins site, finheaven, in terms of the amount of solid contributions and content.

Haha I hear you. I always support the Bills too. It doesn't hurt that all my friends are fans and I'm watching them every year at St John Fisher. They are no doubt on the upswing.

I always appreciate having other fans perspectives here.

Maybe this was covered thus far but I'm curious your opinion on Tannehill. He always baffles me. Some days I think he's good enough to win a few playoff games and others I'm wondering how he was a first round pick. Do Dolphins fans feel the same or have I just not watched him enough?

Phinfan, no issues with your posts here overall in general. It'll be an interesting matchup.

You sound like someone I know...

However, that Phin fan I know here in Roch would never be silly enough to type Wake>Mario.

That's beyond stupid.

Mario is a complete ,every down, run stopper and pass rusher who can do it with both power and speed and physically out-classes any lineman in the league.

Wake is a fantastic speed rusher (and boy he really is), but that's where it ends. He's not a run stopper and can't bull rush too many guys.

Not even on the same measuring stick.

I always appreciate having other fans perspectives here.

Maybe this was covered thus far but I'm curious your opinion on Tannehill. He always baffles me. Some days I think he's good enough to win a few playoff games and others I'm wondering how he was a first round pick. Do Dolphins fans feel the same or have I just not watched him enough?

He's definitely on the hot seat this year. He and Philbin are pretty much linked at the hip as far as this season goes.

And I'm with you to a degree. He's too inconsistent.

Thing is, it's really hard for me to judge his performance last year with that oline. I mean, statistically he improved a lot from 2012, and with absolutely no protection I'd say he didn't do half bad. And you can see with even a player like Tom Brady, who had statistically his worst performance ever last week, actually one of the worst performances by any quarterback in a long time, that a bad oline can make or break a QB.

Tanne only got sacked once last week, and while he shined in the second half, the first half he was struggling a bit. Sometimes he just makes some throws that you have to scratch your head at....like the pick last week....it was just atrocious.

But he's a warrior. He has some great intangibles. A short memory, and nothing ever seems to rattle him. After last season he could've simply given up, and I guess you can argue he did by week 15 against you guys haha, but honestly I'm amazed he made it through the full season without a wheelchair last year.

So this year is really the tell-tale season for him. If our oline looks as good as it did last week for the whole season and he still struggles, well then we move on. If we make the playoffs, he stays...along with Joe.

But yeah, he's a tricky player to evaluate. But there's no doubt he's got the tools, and if he improves at the same rate as 2012-2013 then he should throw about 40 tds this year....but that seems a bit far fetched. I'm more worried about decreasing the INTs. The tds will come with this new offensive system by Bill Lazor.

Phinfan, no issues with your posts here overall in general. It'll be an interesting matchup.

You sound like someone I know...

However, that Phin fan I know here in Roch would never be silly enough to type Wake>Mario.

That's beyond stupid.

Mario is a complete ,every down, run stopper and pass rusher who can do it with both power and speed and physically out-classes any lineman in the league.

Wake is a fantastic speed rusher (and boy he really is), but that's where it ends. He's not a run stopper and can't bull rush too many guys.

Not even on the same measuring stick.

I'll give you that he's clearly more of the full package than wake. But I guess my counter point would be in this day-in-age, a pass rusher as good as Cam Wake is so hard to come by. And I don't want to discount his run blocking skills either, because while they aren't Williams-esqe, they are still above average.

I look back to the Cincinatti game from last year as an example of his complete game changing abilities. OT with Dalton backed up in his endzone, Wake sacks him for a safety, game over.

Of course Williams is capable of doing the same, and maybe it's just because I don't follow the Bills enough, but I just don't seem to hear about those game changing plays from Williams as much as Wake. I acknowledge the clear bias of that last sentence in regards to seeing Wake play every week and not Mario.

I'll give you that he's clearly more of the full package than wake. But I guess my counter point would be in this day-in-age, a pass rusher as good as Cam Wake is so hard to come by. And I don't want to discount his run blocking skills either, because while they aren't Williams-esqe, they are still above average.

I look back to the Cincinatti game from last year as an example of his complete game changing abilities. OT with Dalton backed up in his endzone, Wake sacks him for a safety, game over.

Of course Williams is capable of doing the same, and maybe it's just because I don't follow the Bills enough, but I just don't seem to hear about those game changing plays from Williams as much as Wake. I acknowledge the clear bias of that last sentence in regards to seeing Wake play every week and not Mario.

Cool

Mario gets as many double teams as JJ watt. That's why you don't always see him flash.

Wake is a phenom pass rusher... Our Jerry Hughes is like a poor man's Wake

Chris Trapasso ‏@ChrisTrapasso 30s

Misi not surprising. Starks = news. RT @ArmandoSalguero: Randy Starks & Koa Misi in walking boots. Not practicing today. More details coming

Oh, snap. This is news to me about Starks. Fortunately Jared Odrick and Earl Mitchell can hold down the D Line pretty well, but in terms of their backups it gets iffy.

Anthony Johnson is a great UDFA that ended up making the roster. Bruce Gaston I can't vouch for.

Edited by finfanfromrochester

You should have seen Mario's sack of Cutler last week. Threw the OL out of the way and crushed Cutler. I am not sure he was the same after that. Check it out here:

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Five-must-see-plays-from-the-Week-1-win/24d6b56b-085e-43bb-ae11-d4ccec247aeb

I think I can comment since I watch every game each week.

Wake has more "flash" because he's widely considered a pure speed rusher, and a very solid one; what makes Mario so stinking dangerous is that he can get to the backfield with speed or power. He'll generate 1 or 2 pressures/game simply by tossing an OT aside with one arm (and that's not an exaggeration--as you've likely seen before).

Teams absolutely have to double (or at least chip) Mario, or else they're in trouble. This is why guys like Hughes/Kyle/Dareus put up bunches of sacks, as there are only so many doubles to go around. With Wake, if you can chip him on about half the plays, and play 1-on-1 on Vernon (which I anticipate Buffalo has no problem doing with Glenn), there really isn't a Dareus/Kyle-type interior presence to push the pocket consistently--at least not that I've seen. Odrick can make plays from time to time, but I don't feel comfortable relying on my interior DL to pressure the QB all game long if I'm Miami. If I'm Buffalo, I almost want it that way, as there are very few interior OLs in football that can match up.

What's going to be more interesting to me--as I said a few pages ago, but I'm sure it was lost in the shuffle--is how Miami's front 7 challenges the size Buffalo has up front. The glaring difference in last week's game when Buffalo had the ball was the physical pounding that the Bears' D sustained by the 4th quarter...they were just spent. Miami, as a whole, has a smallish front 7 as well (not that that's always a bad thing), so I struggle to see how they combat the approach.

You should have seen Mario's sack of Cutler last week. Threw the OL out of the way and crushed Cutler. I am not sure he was the same after that. Check it out here:

http://www.buffalobi...11-d4ccec247aeb

Those are five hella impressive plays right there. Williams did that essentially one handed. And yeah, he killed Cutler. That's a game changing hit indeed.

Perhaps more impressive is that catch by Woods. Goodness.

Oh, snap. This is news to me about Starks. Fortunately Jared Odrick and Earl Mitchell can hold down the D Line pretty well, but in terms of their backups it gets iffy.

Anthony Johnson is a great UDFA that ended up making the roster. Bruce Gaston I can't vouch for.

I didn't know that either...Odrick I commented on above; Mitchell I've always found to be rather middling, although he looked good last week. Part of me thinks that may be due to the deficiency NE has on their interior (generally weak, but they also lost OL Coach Donte Scarnecchia--one of the best in the business--in the off-season), but it'll be hard to say for sure based off of one game.

What's going to be more interesting to me--as I said a few pages ago, but I'm sure it was lost in the shuffle--is how Miami's front 7 challenges the size Buffalo has up front. The glaring difference in last week's game when Buffalo had the ball was the physical pounding that the Bears' D sustained by the 4th quarter...they were just spent. Miami, as a whole, has a smallish front 7 as well (not that that's always a bad thing), so I struggle to see how they combat the approach.

It's true. With the loss of Soliai, we have gotten smaller, but more athletic on the line. Earl Mitchell is a great player, but isn't a true nose tackle like Soliai.

Hopefully our D coordinator Coyle has something up his sleeve.

Probably the thing I was most impressed with last week was the D's halftime adjustments. The O had it going from the start, we just had two fumbles and pick three series in a row that stalled us, but the D was getting thrown on in the first half.

The second half adjustment to the 5-2 was crucial, and changed the dynamic of the game. We will see if Coyle will be able to make adjustments on the fly like last week.

Good insight in regards to Williams, though. he's definitely as much if not more of an overall impact player as my man Wake.