Preston Brown

DirtDart

Bradham has looked very, very good. Even if Brown plays well, he won't take Bradham's job. Look for the Bears to really try to exploit Brown. I hope he's up for it. I'm sure that Schwartz will try to cover for him. I'm excited to see this defense. Wish Bradham was there instead of a third round rookie who hasn't even practiced much at all at the position. But Brown has held his own so far. The coaches love him. I hope we do. ;)

The rookie has looked pretty good during the preseason. If he lights it up week one does he start at Will when Bradham returns? I think the kid is a gamer, and has a ton of potential .

I think he has a lot of potential too, but with the way Bradham has played and stepped his game up, I would think he gets the start.

PB, Kiko, and Brandham might form a good LB core going forward. Spikes is a solid guy to have this year with Kiko out due to injury. But I am excited to see the young LB's in action. Sink or swim season for Brandham.

Spikes is another interesting subject. I certainly hope the Bills sign him long term. Watching his interviews he is the type of guy you want surrounding a young defense, on top of his play is phenomenal.

My slight worry with the linebackers starting week 1 is their ability in coverage especially with the Bears have Bennett at tight end and Forte catching the ball out of the backfield. I think all three of our likely opening day starters are better against the run that the pass.... I feel like Bradham is a bit better in coverage and I worry that his absence will be exploited.

I hope the Bills' gameplan is to take away Forte, and Brown would play directly into that. This, to me, is the key. Everyone talks about Marshall and Jeffery -- rightfully so -- but Forte is their Thurman. Stop Forte and let the D-line get after Cutler. I think that's the Bills' best chance, and I hope Brown is up to the challenge.

Brown is an inside guy. He was drafted to back up spikes, or replace him down the road if he signs elsewhere or gets hurt. We have no LB's that can cover Bennett. I think Aaron Williams is going to have to slide over every play into man coverage.

Here is one scout's take:

The Louisville defensive scheme has had Brown run blitz quite a bit and he is impressive when he is able to get a head of steam. Brown is able to generate momentum quickly and can be powerful in the middle of the offensive line, able to drive back linemen or put a good hit on the ball carrier.

In terms of range, Brown is relatively limited. He tends to be late or out of control when he attacks wide and has too many instances where he gets caught at an awkward angle, overruns the play or is trying to catch the play from behind. Brown is at his best going basically from guard to guard, keeping his shoulders square to the line and being able to be a powerful presence in the box.

Brown is a baller. Can't hurt to have too many LB's. Kind of funny, a few years ago we had safeties playing LB. I hope we sign Spikes. Spikes, Kiko, Bradhgam, and Brown. 4 great LB's. As to the scouting on this kid out of college, I've been somewhat impressed with his ability to get "out of the box" and perform. I still see him as more of a MLB, but his range has been a nice surprise.

Brown is an inside guy. He was drafted to back up spikes, or replace him down the road if he signs elsewhere or gets hurt. We have no LB's that can cover Bennett. I think Aaron Williams is going to have to slide over every play into man coverage.

Here is one scout's take:

The Louisville defensive scheme has had Brown run blitz quite a bit and he is impressive when he is able to get a head of steam. Brown is able to generate momentum quickly and can be powerful in the middle of the offensive line, able to drive back linemen or put a good hit on the ball carrier.

In terms of range, Brown is relatively limited. He tends to be late or out of control when he attacks wide and has too many instances where he gets caught at an awkward angle, overruns the play or is trying to catch the play from behind. Brown is at his best going basically from guard to guard, keeping his shoulders square to the line and being able to be a powerful presence in the box.

This is what terrifies me. The Bears are going to do everything possible to get Forte to the edge, where he's absolutely lethal. Even with Bradham in there I'd be worried (because Bradham overruns plays all of the time). The corners are going to have to put in an exceptional effort in run support, which is going to be made all the more difficult by their own matchups with the Bears' twin tower WRs. Bottom line, we're going to need to create some turnovers and score some points of our own. We're not going to win this one 9-6.

Brown will be playing with the 1st team DL so that should help quite a bit. Still a dropoff from Kiko to Bradham to Brown, but LB is one of the easiest positions to come in and look good as a rookie if the scheme is good and the rest of the players are fulfilling their assignments. It is a weak spot (no pun intended) but hopefully we can overcome it.

Bradham has looked very, very good. Even if Brown plays well, he won't take Bradham's job. Look for the Bears to really try to exploit Brown. I hope he's up for it. I'm sure that Schwartz will try to cover for him. I'm excited to see this defense. Wish Bradham was there instead of a third round rookie who hasn't even practiced much at all at the position. But Brown has held his own so far. The coaches love him. I hope we do. ;)

Preston Brown has looked very well in preseason action. Hopefully he learns a lot from the guys around him and continues to get better as the season goes along. That being said, I think the Bears will exploit our CB's with their two big WR's and Forte could get us out of the backfield. Hoping for a good gameplan and for the offense to come through, but we may have to score 30 to win this game and I'm not sure if we can.