Kyle Orton rumor [update : now signed]

YoloinOhio

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always thought Orton never got a fair shot. He was great in college. Played in Chicago and gave them a 9-7 record & an 18TD/12Int (79.6 QBR) in 2008. Then Mgmt there, thinking not only that Cutler was better, but that he was elite, traded Orton to Denver where he put up 21TD/12Int (86.8 QBR) & an 8-8 season. In 2010, the wheels came off in Denver, they drafted Tebow and fired Josh McDaniels DURING the season and oh yeah, they had the worst defense in the league, surrendering 6200+ yds and 29+ points per game - not the QB's fault. Wanting to avoid a QB controversy, they released Orton who went to KC, then Dallas in back-up rolls.

So he was an ascending player in Chicago, got traded.

Was an ascending player in Denver, team blew-up and he was sent packing.

Did fine in back-up rolls for 3 years w/ QBRs of 81, 137 and 85 in 2011-2013.

Dallas wanted to retain him, but he grew tired of the back-up roll and "retired".

John Clayton said if you look at the Patriot and Bills rosters (EXCLUDING QB's) - the Bills arguably have a more talented team.

I like EJ, but THIS team, with the right leadership on offense, is ready to win now. I think Orton gives us this chance.

Edited by Never NEVER Give-up

Only bills fans would get this excited over Kyle Orton!

Boy, no kidding.

On the other hand, it seems everywhere Orton has gone the starting job eventually went to a franchise-caliber QB. Maybe that's the spark we need.

Boy, no kidding.

On the other hand, it seems everywhere Orton has gone the starting job eventually went to a franchise-caliber QB. Maybe that's the spark we need.

I'm a firm believer that backup QB is a very important position on any team that has aspirations of going to the playoffs. I'm not sure that the Bills are a playoff team or not, but it was almost criminal how they dealt with the position. It's good to know that they have been trying to sign Orton for two months. Rather than just sitting on their hands. We fans are often kept from information that would completely change our POV on some stuff.

I'm a firm believer that backup QB is a very important position on any team that has aspirations of going to the playoffs. I'm not sure that the Bills are a playoff team or not, but it was almost criminal how they dealt with the position. It's good to know that they have been trying to sign Orton for two months. Rather than just sitting on their hands. We fans are often kept from information that would completely change our POV on some stuff.

You're right that a team is only as good as its backup QB more often than not. Orton is an excellent addition for all the reasons you state as well as the confidence he brings to not just fans, but the rest of the players in the locker room. I don't think the guys on the team were under any delusions about the QB situation on the roster outside of EJ. A move like this signifies to the vets who may have been biting their tongues in public but privately were just as concerned as most fans have been, that this organization is serious about making a run.

Don't get me wrong, I don't expect Orton to light the world on fire (and honestly hope he doesn't see the field). But he gives the guys in the locker room piece of mind that if EJ falters or gets injured there is a proven NFL veteran ready to pick up the reins. That counts for a lot.

Edited by GreggyT

You're right that a team is only as good as its backup QB more often than not. Orton is an excellent addition for all the reasons you state as well as the confidence he brings to not just fans, but the rest of the players in the locker room. I don't think the guys on the team were under any delusions about the QB situation on the roster outside of EJ. A move like this signifies to the vets who may have been biting their tongues in public but privately were just as concerned as most fans have been, that this organization is serious about making a run.

Don't get me wrong, I don't expect Orton to light the world on fire (and honestly hope he doesn't see the field). But he gives the guys in the locker room piece of mind that if EJ falters or gets injured there is a proven NFL veteran ready to pick up the reins. That counts for a lot.

That's a great point.

I was thinking today what must be going through Sammy Watkins head. I bet he truly believes in EJ. And the Bills. But the last two weeks he has first hand experience of the dark cloud. For the first time. And he must know that the backup situation was a farce. This probably helps him a lot, mentally. As well as Woods and Williams and Goodwin.

That's a great point.

I was thinking today what must be going through Sammy Watkins head. I bet he truly believes in EJ. And the Bills. But the last two weeks he has first hand experience of the dark cloud. For the first time. And he must know that the backup situation was a farce. This probably helps him a lot, mentally. As well as Woods and Williams and Goodwin.

I definitely think the WR room will be a bit more upbeat Tuesday.

Sometimes it skips a generation (or in this case team). Think Drew Bledsoe.

What do you mean ... the Bills got JP. It didn't skip a generation :-p

What would really be great for Orton is if the Bills went to and won the Superbowl. Its great for Buffalo no doubt, but Orton can say "Hey I am still in the NFL and won a SB ... who was it again that I got kicked out of Denver for and the guy who replaced him?"

Ya know whatever helps light a fire for him lol

Edited by A Dog Named Kelso

I have been very vocal about getting Orton since he was released by the Boys. IMHO, this is the best move that Whaley could have made. Should have happened several weeks back to let him learn the offense and the players. But, better late than never. He will take time to come up to speed, but getting him instantly covers us on the downside. Our QB position is suddenly a whole lot better. Go Bills!!

Gotta measure the move by whether or not it improves the team. And, I think we can all agree that it does improve the roster and it thereby improves the team.

We're all disappointed with EJ's progress to date--even the most patient of us is not satisfied. EJ is injury free and he's also had the complete off-season to get ready. If he is "the man", we should have seen an indication of that by now. Sure, the second year of a QB's career consists of more bad moments than good ones but along the way there should be some flashes of that first round talent (albeit fleeting). Unfortunately, although it's still very early, I just haven't seen any "flashes" or a sign that EJ has that intangible "it" (like obscenity, I know it when I see it) and that's starting to worry me a lot.

The QB situation has been the only blemish on Whaley's otherwise very nicely developed resume (there are a lot of good moves--trading back and getting Kiko and then R. Woods; signing Lawson, trading for Hughes; moving Aaron Williams over; this year some more good picks ((Henderson in the 7th might be a starting OT!)) and then the trades for Bryce Brown (who will step in for Freddy next year and not miss a beat); Dixon for more depth at RB (we can't throw so we need four RBs!!!!) and Graham a nice DB; you get the idea. If not for EJ, imagine how Whaley would be viewed????

For me, the Orton move takes us back to where we should have been with Kolb (if Kolb was healthy I really think last year would have been fun--a capable veteran backing up EJ, imagine that--no deer in the headlights vs. The Browns--I'm still embarrassed for Tuel when I think back to that game). Orton and Kolb have similar value--both are competent starting QBs who can win games when thrust into the starter's spot. However, they are QBs who seem to be better suited to the veteran backup role than they are to the starter's role. In a perfect world, after Orton gets back into game shape and acquires a working knowledge of the offense, the team would be turned over to him so EJ can step back, study, watch and learn (there's no shame in that--it makes perfect sense to try to win while grooming your future QB especially with the talent we have on this team). Being on the sidelines and studying the game with the coaching staff around him would surely help EJ develop in every facet of the game.

That said, I don't see the keys being given to Orton (it's gonna take him time to get up to speed and even then we'll need EJ to really stink up the joint for a bit before we can turn to Orton without hurting EJ's feelings too much). I think when Orton does eventually get his opportunity he'll make the most of it and he'll will win us enough games to get us all worked up (we'll have a QB controversy, be competitive enough to almost be on the playoff bubble, etc....). Whaley's failure to shore up the QB position and Orton falling into his lap might have bought him some extra time. And regardless of the fact that Whaley will be run out of town when EJ fails, it's really going to be too bad because if you go over his moves they're very good (drafts, FA signings, trades, contract extensions and those he didn't extend and those he cut). In my book, Whaley's a B or B+ even with EJ and also not knowing how Sammy will play out. I think Whaley will have a long and successful career as a GM but it won't be in Buffalo he'll be run out of town for one reason, EJ.

Edited by biggerdaddynj

Wow. Impressive. I'm still a little confused. I thought he wanted to retire. He just did not want to be a Cowboy?

He figured he had no chance to start there, but here he figures there is a good chance.

Well, there's no longer a need to Ponder Christian.

well if he becomes available, would be a nice third string.

Your love of tuel and dislike of ej is getting to be barbarian-like

I don't like tool that much

Kyle Orton played at Purdue

wonder if he can turn into Drew Brees.

The Browns are rather upset about this. They thought they were getting the first overall pick with the EJ/Baddeus/Fool regime

:lol: