Kyle Orton rumor [update : now signed]

YoloinOhio

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree.

Picking EJ at # 16 was desperation. Now scrambling at the last minute for a backup who could soon be starting is panic.

I thought that was the end of the continuum but someone suggested that the next and last step is auto destruct.

Yeah, using one pick to acquire

- a candidate for DROY

- plus the quarterback you like best out of the draft

Total desperation.

I'll keep saying it ... Buffalo or any team that does not have the answer at QB needs to keep drafting QB's every year until they find the right guy. Not necessarily 1st rounders but just keep drafting. Why do teams or coaches hype their guy and stick with them religiously (in this case EJ)? Why not push him.

Did Marrone or Whaley or personnel staff really think that Thad or Tuel were the answer? Why can't this team or FO evaluate QB's worth a sh*t?

Most importantly, aren't you impressed at that fact that I spelled necessarily correctly?

Well you're ignoring a huge factor--it takes most players, especially QB's, time and experience to develop into franchise guys. So your plan is to draft several guys every year, let them play in the preseason and get them snaps during the first year, then dump them if they aren't the 'guy' by that time? That's not allowing them much of a chance, is it?

FWIW, I thought Locker would never be able to lead a WR in the NFL and I have to say the he looked improved in that regard when I watched him the other night. I understand you point, you'll believe when you see it, but it just might happen, you never know.

locker actually looked pretty good last year before he got hurt. Everyone has written him off but with whisenhunt there I think he could continue to improve.

locker actually looked pretty good last year before he got hurt. Everyone has written him off but with whisenhunt there I think he could continue to improve.

Imagine one day looking fondly on the fact that we have the "black jake locker"

Everyone's written off ej based on this preseason. Yes it has been bad, but it's a scrimmage with pads who cares? He hasn't been terribly inaccurate (as thad and tuel were). His jobs secure because he is our best qb. We grabbed orton for a smart guy to be in meetings and carry a clip board. And because we HOPE if ej goes down he is a better option than than the crap we put out before today.

What exactly did the team not know about Lewis, Dixon and Tuel that it finally realized last week, prompting this mad search for a back up?

I don't see why it took an eleventh hour epiphany to figure out that we needed a better option. This smells like...panic.

I think the script they may have been reading from goes something like,

When you have an established elite QB (see Manning, Brady, Brees, et.al.), then it is not necessary to spend significant cap resources on a backup QB.

At this point, a big red, glowing check mark appeared over Doug Brandon's collective head and the page was turned. Had they read the next paragraph...

However, if you are trying to find your franchise QB, giving yourself more options will help instill confidence and increase your chances of success. Sitting on your thumbs has been proven to diminish the chances of success.

Everyone's written off ej based on this preseason. Yes it has been bad, but it's a scrimmage with pads who cares? He hasn't been terribly inaccurate (as thad and tuel were). His jobs secure because he is our best qb. We grabbed orton for a smart guy to be in meetings and carry a clip board. And because we HOPE if ej goes down he is a better option than than the crap we put out before today.

Incorrect. He has been written off because of what we saw last preseason, all of the season that he did play AND the entire offesason / Preseason this year. The kid doesn't look on the field any better than he did last year coming out of FSU And that is a HUGE concern.

Bottom line Orton even at this stage is an upgrade over EJ. I hope we don't have to see him until about week 3-4 though so he can get some time under his belt with this system. Orton imho should have been brought in the minute he was done in Dallas and allowed to compete with EJ.

Incorrect. He has been written off because of what we saw last preseason, all of the season that he did play AND the entire offesason / Preseason this year. The kid doesn't look on the field any better than he did last year coming out of FSU And that is a HUGE concern.

Bottom line Orton even at this stage is an upgrade over EJ. I hope we don't have to see him until about week 3-4 though so he can get some time under his belt with this system. Orton imho should have been brought in the minute he was done in Dallas and allowed to compete with EJ.

Enough of a concern that you hope he's quickly injured, right?

Enough of a concern that you hope he's quickly injured, right?

I want the best for the Bills period. Have said this for years, whatever it takes to get the best QB out there. Are you saying that you would rather go through this year with EJ even if Orton is the better QB? If so, how can you call yourself a Bills fan if you want the best players on the bench?

I said it about Collins, Billy Joe Hobag, RJ, JP, Trent, Fitz and now EJ, They need to go. I didn't like any of them and I didn't like the EJ pick when it was made. He isn't the answer. I am sick of sitting here almost the entire time from 1996-2014 knowing we have **** at QB.

So the fact that OBD was trying (unsuccessfully) for a while to sign Orton makes you think they know what they are doing with regard to the QB position? Not me. They were criminally negligent, and woke up only when the on-field results made the situation impossible to ignore.

THIS - Why the F did it take us dropping to absolute zero before the FO decided to make a move in the right direction. This board never agrees 100% on any matter - EXCEPT that our QB was very shaky going into 2014 and badly in need of a veteran presence.

I want the best for the Bills period. Have said this for years, whatever it takes to get the best QB out there. Are you saying that you would rather go through this year with EJ even if Orton is the better QB? If so, how can you call yourself a Bills fan if you want the best players on the bench?

I said it about Collins, Billy Joe Hobag, RJ, JP, Trent, Fitz and now EJ, They need to go. I didn't like any of them and I didn't like the EJ pick when it was made. He isn't the answer. I am sick of sitting here almost the entire time from 1996-2014 knowing we have **** at QB.

Did you just declare "how can you call yourself a bills fan if you think ortons better and don't want ej to get hurt?"