Kyle Orton rumor [update : now signed]

YoloinOhio

What exactly did the team not know about Lewis, Dixon and Tuel that it finally realized last week, prompting this mad search for a back up?

I don't see why it took an eleventh hour epiphany to figure out that we needed a better option. This smells like...panic.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What exactly did the team not know about Lewis, Dixon and Tuel that it finally realized last week, prompting this mad search for a back up?

I don't see why it took an eleventh hour epiphany to figure out that we needed a better option. This smells like...panic.

They've been trying to get Orton for a while, but you can't sign him until he's willing to sign. Orton played it pretty well, overall, it appears (especially the fleecing of Jerry J. - I love that part!). Chris Mortenson on ESPN right now saying EJ had better come out ready to play because they want to win NOW. It's a little different than the prevailing sentiment around here (generally, as I read it anyway) where EJ is perceived as being protected and "safe". Things could get interesting.... How long does it take to learn a playbook for a veteran? That may be how long EJ is "safe". I still hope EJ is the guy and puts it all together beginning with the Bears.

Hopefully Ornton can learn the playbook and be ready for action in a couple weeks. I have serious concenrs about the ability of our front office to evaluate talent. Here we are again, a week before the start of the season making major personnel moves.

O_o

At least we haven't fired the OC.

Wait, is that a good thing...???

You're fantasizing about a situation where we get Schwartz/Gailey/Orton? I'm pleased with the signing too but you can do better than that.

Nope. Not me. I should have quoted the post two up from mine. I was just finishing off his fantasy. Two other replies were posted before I got mine in.

I'm all for insurance but think the "he'd be our starter and we'd be playoff bound and everything would be solved" crowd are overstating him. He'd be a bit like picking up fitz. Nice to have at 2, frustrating at 1 but can handle a few games if needed

Exactly.

He is the type of QB that could have won the KC game last year, but will ultimately look like Fitz the more and more he plays. Decent player but not good or great.

Orton would make an excellent backup and mentor to EJ.

With the way EJ has played he might be the starter by week 6...Orton played pretty well week 16 against Philly last year

Edited by matter2003

I'll keep saying it ... Buffalo or any team that does not have the answer at QB needs to keep drafting QB's every year until they find the right guy. Not necessarily 1st rounders but just keep drafting. Why do teams or coaches hype their guy and stick with them religiously (in this case EJ)? Why not push him.

Did Marrone or Whaley or personnel staff really think that Thad or Tuel were the answer? Why can't this team or FO evaluate QB's worth a sh*t?

Most importantly, aren't you impressed at that fact that I spelled necessarily correctly?

I agree.

Picking EJ at # 16 was desperation. Now scrambling at the last minute for a backup who could soon be starting is panic.

I thought that was the end of the continuum but someone suggested that the next and last step is auto destruct.

Amen brother! Although not totally similar, it reminds me of Jauron firing Turk Schonert just prior to season starting.

To be fair, Thad Lewis warranted at least a full training camp to show he could keep progressing. If he had simply picked up from where he left off he would still be on the team.

Yeah, that's how I see it as well.

It was a high risk strategy, which seems to fit Whaley's style, as evidenced by the EJ and Sammy picks. Apparently, he's going to live by the sword, die by the sword at this stage of his GM career.

It's a narrow path to follow, but as an ex-player I suspect the all-in, "stick your neck out or go home" philosophy is a fundamental part of his psyche. Refreshing after years of risk adverse thinking here...but maybe no more effective. Time will tell.

Lot of talent for orton to play with . Hitting open receivers will be a big step up. E.j will have three games imo . if they lose the first 2 and nothing changes if the first half of Chargers game it will be orton time

If he can still game manage with the talent on this team we could make some noise, like for example still being in the picture late in the year.

Not likely to happen with EJ under centre.

JMO.