Kyle Orton rumor [update : now signed]

YoloinOhio

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EJ won't get benched for Orton

I am an EJ supporter, but regardless of that the organization has too many sunk costs in Manuel to make a quick move.

Whaley has said all along that they want a guy who can go .500 if he has to come in for a few games. They thought that could be Thad and it wasn't. Give the organization credit for A) holding Thad accountable and B) getting someone who can do that. As for the people that think they should have signed a backup earlier - I don't think Kyle Orton was excited about going through training camp.

We honestly don't know they didn't approach Orton earlier. They may have. Orton was possibly waiting to see if a contender had an opening (or has been mentioned perhaps didn't want to go to training camp). It looked as though the Bills were settled in to having Thad as the backup until now. Maybe Orton didn't think this was a good spot for him.

Good signing. Orton will learn the offense quickly -- he's smart (the haircut makes it look otherwise). Limited talent, but that's always been the case. I watched him a lot here in Denver and he had his moments. I imagine he'll still be fine as a game manager -- not gonna win games on his own, but he can get the ball in the hands of guys like Watkins and Goodwin, and they can make things happen. He'll get his chance. I would have preferred Pryor; they still could get him. He's an exciting player who still has upside, although I fear his style makes him a career-ending injury waiting to happen. I'm just happy that we won't have the embarrassment of a Jeff Tuel start again.

Did anyone watch Orton last season and, if so, have a critique of his play for Dallas? I'll try to watch NFL Game Rewind when I have time this week.

I recall him being OK in that last game against Philly although I think the game ended on an INT

Dude, I'm not a stats guy...and wins are very important for a QB...but look at his stats that year. He wasn't the problem. What happened that year with Tebow was weird. He will be our starter by October.

I see you aren't a stats guy. He was at 58% and like 6 yards an attempt and only +1 on his td:int ratio. It wasn't AWFUL but it wasn't stats you should be pointing to as good. In fact, I'll say it- they were bad stats.

Edited by NoSaint

We honestly don't know they didn't approach Orton earlier. They may have. Orton was possibly waiting to see if a contender had an opening (or has been mentioned perhaps didn't want to go to training camp). It looked as though the Bills were settled in to having Thad as the backup until now. Maybe Orton didn't think this was a good spot for him.

That's my guess too. Orton was waiting for someone else's QB to go down. But since the Rams were ok with Shaun Hill and no other opportunity came up, he was stuck with the Bills...

That's my guess too. Orton was waiting for someone else's QB to go down. But since the Rams were ok with Shaun Hill and no other opportunity came up, he was stuck with the Bills...

Agreed. He probably sees it as a good opportunity. Good WRs, good RBs, a good LT, and a starter with a possible injury issue and without a firm grip on the starting job (because of rawness and youth not because the coaches will yank him).

After the unprofessional s***w job he pulled in Dallas. You want him here and think he'd be a great mentor. Wow.. the desperation has set in soo early this year. Bummer.

In his defense, he probably didn't like the atmosphere of working in Dallas. I knew a WR, Danny Coale, in who played in Dallas and was injured his first two years in the league and got cut. He went to Pittsburgh and he said Dallas treated him like garbage where Pittsburgh actually cared about him as a person. So maybe Orton felt kinda the same in Dallas and didn't feel like he owed anything to them.