Tipping etiquette

The Poojer

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you go to a small diner, owner is the only employee, probably in the entire organization, not just then, he/she is doing the cooking, cashing etc....do you tip?

I'd say yes. If you order from your table and your food is brought out to you then standard tipping rules apply. If you order at the register and food is brought out to you, then a small tip. If theres a tip jar, a buck or two.

yeah, it was ordered at the counter, i went and got it, but he did have a tip cup not in a very obvious place, i threw a buck in

There was a tiny place I used to frequent where that was model. Owner and sole employee. I would always throw a few extra bucks in the jar to support a local business. Felt like the right thing to do since i was a regular patron.

yeah, it was my first time there, just around the corner from my office, i will definitely go back and will continue to tip

There was a tiny place I used to frequent where that was model. Owner and sole employee. I would always throw a few extra bucks in the jar to support a local business. Felt like the right thing to do since i was a regular patron.

yeah, it was ordered at the counter, i went and got it, but he did have a tip cup not in a very obvious place, i threw a buck in

For a small meal (<$10), I would say a buck or two is appropriate. The fact that the owner is busting his rear to keep costs low should have nothing to do with your decision to tip. As long as he provided you the service you expect, he deserves a tip.

I used to visit a small town in Texas which had a coffee place which doubled as a lunchtime diner also. Food was ordered and picked up at a counter. Very few of the locals tipped , but I always put in $2 for a $9 lunch**

**The fact that the girls were cute, with low cut blouses and talked nicely to me had no bearing on my decision to tip.

Wait--so you just ordered carry-out at the counter?

If that is the case, I would say that etiquette is to not tip.

If you want to be a d*** about it, that is...

Tipping is good. Never hurts to throw a little extra at someone providing a service that you yourself can't be bothered to do at the moment. Afterall, you could always bring a lunch/breakfast etc. with you.

ahhh...therein lies another rub...i paid when i got my food....thankfully it was good so my tip wasn't 'wasted'

This is a tough one.

It's only tough because the person taking the order/giving you the food is the same person cooking the food.

I've never taken the quality of the food into account whilst determining the tip amount. IMO, the tip is for service - not food quality.

However ... in this situation, the server is the cook, so how can one NOT take the food quality into consideration?

My gut said ... get the food, eat it, then leave a tip based on the entire experience (food quality included) in the jar on the way out.

With a little thought, I think I'd hold true to my "tip the service; not the food" philosophy and tip at the time of payment/receipt of food at the counter.

keep in mind, i am not questioning if you should tip or not....if the owner is the sole employee...aren't his profits his tips? aren't you essentially simply adding to the menu cost by tipping? it was just a situation that struck me as one i had never considered before. i am happy to tip in 99% or appropriate situations

Tipping is good. Never hurts to throw a little extra at someone providing a service that you yourself can't be bothered to do at the moment. Afterall, you could always bring a lunch/breakfast etc. with you.

I bet you tip the barista at Starbucks for making you a cup of coffee, don't you...

The old rule of thumb is not to tip the proprietor. If the bar owner serves you? No tip. If any of his employees do? Tip. Barbershop or salon? Owner cuts your hair? It's so reasonable I personally throw him 5 extra anyway to support his small business, but etiquette says you don't have to. Problem being, most ownership is too ignorant to know the rules.

I spent about a decade working for tips in a few service areas. So many unbelievably cheap scum bags. Glad to be done with that facet of my life. I don't go lower than 15% unless I'm insulted or intentionally ignored. Usually im 20-30% depending on level of service.

Here's an interesting one, Chinese Buffets? They only bring you soda and occasionally clear a dish. I go 10-15%. You?

Edited by SmokinES3

no i took it to a table and ate it there...but i also cleaned up after myself...

I would say no tip under those circumstances.

To everyone else on here who said you should not be a jerk and should tip, I don't really view that as the issue. Of course you can always tip anyone for anything, I guess.

I think the question is whether etiquette would require a tip under the scenario where you go a counter, take the food, sit down, eat it, and throw it out--with no actual service being provided other than cooking of the food. I don't think a tip is required; if you want to go above and beyond and tip, that's great-- but I can't imagine that a tip would be expected under those cirumstances.

Do you tip at McDonald's?

Always, always tip. Unless of course you received crappy/rude service.

yep, that's exactly what I do. so what if it's the owner who serves me? it's appreciated, and often times will reflect in the service or treatment I get when I return. in addition, I tip bartenders heavily. that way I never, ever have to wait for a drink. at my usual hang out, they always get a drink ready for me when they see me pull into the parking lot, and have it sitting at my usual seat as I walk in the door.

if I ever receive crappy or rude service, I tip little to nothing, and I never go there again under any circumstances.

I also tip everyone.....I think it comes with working in the business you think about how they would like to be treated.

You know...its interesting I have one day a week where I am the closing driver for a pizza place....we stop delivering at 1:00 am.....there is NOBODY delivering as late as me on Saturday nights.

The only other way to get food during my last 2 hours is to drive to get it....and that is when my WORST tippers are.....it just doesnt register to them that if your ordering pizza and are too lazy to drive to dennys to eat...that you should tip your driver.

No

Gug only left 25 cents the other day when we had lunch.

I tipped him less than 20%, but more than 15%. I didn't think he was very good.

Chinese Buffets ... not a dime. Ever.

I also tip everyone.....I think it comes with working in the business you think about how they would like to be treated.

You know...its interesting I have one day a week where I am the closing driver for a pizza place....we stop delivering at 1:00 am.....there is NOBODY delivering as late as me on Saturday nights.

The only other way to get food during my last 2 hours is to drive to get it....and that is when my WORST tippers are.....it just doesnt register to them that if your ordering pizza and are too lazy to drive to dennys to eat...that you should tip your driver.

Does your pizza place already charge for delivery? If so, then it inserts some ambiguity into whether you should tip or not for delivery.

Does your pizza place already charge for delivery? If so, then it inserts some ambiguity into whether you should tip or not for delivery.

It's just a way for the company to reach into the customer's pocket at the expense of the driver.

How about when you call your order into the Chinese joint, and then go in and pick up the food? What kind of tip you think that entails?

None, though I do it anyway at my favorite chinese place and it shows in the speed and quality of my food. Not exactly altruistic but it spends.

Do I tip at Subway or Starbucks? If they're attitude warrants it, which is rare. Again I worked fast food 3 years in high school and kept a great attitude. No sympathy for less. Customer Service isn't for everyone.

Edited by SmokinES3

Having been raised in a culture that doesn't tip, I find tipping quite alien. I don't understand why prices are not simply put up, the staff paid a reasonable wage, and fired if they do not perform well? No tips required.....system works without having extraneous social pressures adding to a basic commerce situation.

Having been raised in a culture that doesn't tip, I find tipping quite alien. I don't understand why prices are not simply put up, the staff paid a reasonable wage, and fired if they do not perform well? No tips required.....system works without having extraneous social pressures adding to a basic commerce situation.

This has been happening across the U.S. One new restaurant in my town does not allow tipping.

the average consumer wouldn't know the driver doesn't get any of that money, i would assume a delivery charge goes to the driver and may forego a tip in that case...

Yes they charge.....

The delivery guy does not get that money