EJ Staring Down Receivers/Looking Off Defenders

I'm glad this is posted here, because I've been getting the feeling that fans simply say this because, well, they've heard it and don't know what else to say.

I really haven't seen him "stare down" a target all preseason. I've seen him go to his first read as soon as he hits the back of his drop, but as the article does a good job of articulating, that's not the same as "staring down".

When he was doing his show from "his mom's basement" his knowledge of the game is what stood out. He used to be a high school asst. coach. He is the only host on WGR who has any practical knowledge of the game he covers...unless it's baseball cards. Then Schopp is the resident guru.

This is what I have been telling people for a while now. People hear this about EJ and repeat it to sound like they know what they are talking about. I get this all the time. I work in the financial market, and I can't tell you how many times I hear people say things that are simply not true, because they have no concept of how our economy works. My favorite is that rich people are Hoarding money. Like they are scrooge McDuck.

I think that Ej is probably the most scrutinized QB (ok maybe manziel is more) in the league. Every time the guy farts it’s like breaking (wind) News on ESPN. Enough... Look at his performance in the last game. I heard people B word that enough with the dump offs, I want to see a deep ball... ( except that he threw deep a couple of times). No matter what he does people will find a reason to kvetch.

I don't want to hear about how he's having a bad practice either. You have to listen to what the coordinator has said about their approach, when he gets comfortable with a play, they move it to a list that they KNOW he can make and then they start throwing new plays at him. IN PRACTICE. Against a pretty good defense, so when you combine a play he doesn’t know real well against a defensive look he hasn’t seen before guess what, it’s going to go badly. You can't read too much into this. All I heard all week before the Carolina game from JOE B is how bad EJ looked in practice this week. Then he comes out and hits his first 7 passé and goes 9 of 13...or close to 70% completion rate. Let’s wait until we lose a few games because of EJ before we throw him under the bus

Edited by hullhawk

I was sitting on the 30 in Carolina last weekend and he had a play where he stared down Robert Woods from the second the ball was snapped until he made the pass. It was insane how telegraphed it was. How can you be an NFL QB and actively do something like that?

To EJ's credit(?), Woods caught the pass

Edited by quinnearlysghost88

I was sitting on the 30 in Carolina last weekend and he had a play where he stared down Robert Woods from the second the ball was snapped until he made the pass. It was insane how telegraphed it was. How can you be an NFL QB and actively do something like that?

After reading the article what makes you 100% confident that he was staring down the receiver and not focusing on a DB? or that it was the first read and the play was designed specifically to get the ball to Woods?

EJ had two completions to Woods. The first was a 3-stop drop on a stick-route on 3rd-and-4. Timing route where he threw to his first read; no staring down whatsoever. I'm assuming this isn't the play you're speaking of in this post.

The second completion was an 8-yard flat route on 2nd-and-10. The ball came out right at the back of his drop and he hit Woods in stride. The defender pushed him out of bounds after an 8-yard gain.

Can you please elaborate as to which of these plays he "stared down" his WR in "insane" fashion?

I know I've complained about this before, EJ staring down his receiver.

Here is a nice little write-up by Sal Capaccio for some added perspective.

link

I think LBs are keying on the first read then when they anticipate a quick pass. Especially within the red zone.

It's a great article , thx for posting!

BUT... alot of the pre-snap stuff, is EJ's biggest problem. Against a "vanilla D" all that may be true. But in the case of ALOT of D's nowadays (except for Wanny when he was here), teams use stunts, fake LB blitz and drop him back and rush a CB instead etc... EJ has to do better job of recognizing where the hot read is which was big problem last yr and do better job of reading the D pre snap, especially on 3 step drops. That near int close to goaline where he telegraphed pass to Sammy and LB dropped back into coverage rather than blitzing and ball hit LB right in stride. EJ did not recognize the coverage and if LB doesnt drop that ball its a turnover and with a lot of room to run after the int... The play hasnt been dissected enough because it was JUST a batted ball... cuz it was pre season, i would have rather it been a pick 6 so it STICKS in EJ's memory what a bonehead pass that was

i always like x's and o's. its a pretty good article that got me thinking. i'm familiar with looking off dbs. i was a little confused about seeing ej stare down wrs in the preseason games so far. then again, its preseason so nothing but injuries count and everyone is using their vanilla playbook. i want more articles like this though. i read matt bowen's stuff because of this.

When he was doing his show from "his mom's basement" his knowledge of the game is what stood out. He used to be a high school asst. coach. He is the only host on WGR who has any practical knowledge of the game he covers...unless it's baseball cards. Then Schopp is the resident guru.

Yes, which is why I enjoy listening to him a ton. The others I don't bother with. I like John Murphy's show because of the interviews, too. But Sal actually knows what he is talking about and its awesome. The others make my head explode.

Yes, which is why I enjoy listening to him a ton. The others I don't bother with. I like John Murphy's show because of the interviews, too. But Sal actually knows what he is talking about and its awesome. The others make my head explode.

Funny, Sal and Joe B are my favorite Bills guys on GR (I like Paul Hamilton for Sabres stuff), but man, when Sal hosted the Murphy show, for some reason, it was hard to listen to. His pho-enthusiasm is hard to listen to at times...and I just don't like that way they just throw out some random topic to frame all the phone call discussions...it just leads to bad radio. Everyone pretty much says the same thing...

I know some hate Joe B, and while I don't always agree with him, I feel like he is not lazy (unlike the rest of the hosts), and his opinions are, at least, based in actual observation, and not just assumptions based on false kowledge.

As for Murphy, I like the tone of his show, but I honestly wonder, sometimes, if he knows much more about the game than the average hardcore football fan. Obviously, he knows the Bills very well, but I don't get the impression that he has an exceptional knowledge of the X's and O's stuff, like Sal. I wish Murph would interview more players from other Bills eras. A lot of us old timers would love to hear an interview with Jerry Butler or, hell, even Lee Evans...Garay Marangi...any guys from the 60's...just somebody with different perspectives on the history of the team..particuarly in the deep off-season, would be cool. I would think a lot of these guys would love to talk.

Edited by Buftex

Funny, Sal and Joe B are my favorite Bills guys on GR (I like Paul Hamilton for Sabres stuff), but man, when Sal hosted the Murphy show, for some reason, it was hard to listen to. I know some hate Joe B, and while I don't always agree with him, I feel like he is not lazy (unlike the rest of the hosts), and his opinions are, at least, based in actual observation, and not just assumptions based on false kowledge. As for Murphy, I like the tone of his show, but I honestly wonder, sometimes, if he knows much more about the game than the average hardcore football fan. Obviously, he knows the Bills very well, but I don't get the impression that he has an exceptional knowledge of the X's and O's stuff, like Sal.

Murphy doesn't seem to have x's and o's knowledge but he also doesn't pretend to. I just like the player and coach interviews. I am not as high on Joe B as some others. Edited by YoloinOhio

EJ had two completions to Woods. The first was a 3-stop drop on a stick-route on 3rd-and-4. Timing route where he threw to his first read; no staring down whatsoever. I'm assuming this isn't the play you're speaking of in this post.

The second completion was an 8-yard flat route on 2nd-and-10. The ball came out right at the back of his drop and he hit Woods in stride. The defender pushed him out of bounds after an 8-yard gain.

Can you please elaborate as to which of these plays he "stared down" his WR in "insane" fashion?

The pass to Hogan maybe?

I think that Ej is probably the most scrutinized QB (ok maybe manziel is more) in the league. .

You must be joking. Outside of this site and maybe a few others, no one is intently scrutinizing the second year QB of the BIlls.

Funny, Sal and Joe B are my favorite Bills guys on GR (I like Paul Hamilton for Sabres stuff), but man, when Sal hosted the Murphy show, for some reason, it was hard to listen to. I know some hate Joe B, and while I don't always agree with him, I feel like he is not lazy (unlike the rest of the hosts), and his opinions are, at least, based in actual observation, and not just assumptions based on false kowledge. As for Murphy, I like the tone of his show, but I honestly wonder, sometimes, if he knows much more about the game than the average hardcore football fan. Obviously, he knows the Bills very well, but I don't get the impression that he has an exceptional knowledge of the X's and O's stuff, like Sal.

True but I also feel like Joe B. is easily intimidated by Schopp. He was on recently with him and gave a good report. Then Schopp started giving his negative view and Joe B sounded surprised but went along with Schopp's take.

True but I also feel like Joe B. is easily intimidated by Schopp. He was on recently with him and gave a good report. Then Schopp started giving his negative view and Joe B sounded surprised but went along with Schopp's take.

I have noticed that as well! If Joe B is on Sal's show, he is balanced. On Schopp's show, he gets sucked into their vitriol.

Good read, thanks for posting. Good examples to show that maybe EJ’s eyes are quite as slow as some like to claim.

None of this can be true. EJ sucks. This has been clearly established on this board based on the "eye test", his "slow eyes", "horrible accuracy", and "lousey deep ball"...

The only unfortunate parts of this well established doctrine is:

-The stats actually don't back this up compared to some of the top rookie seasons ever by nfl QBs... His rookie QBR was top 10 in last 20 years. This table predates him but he had over 300 completions and 77.7 rating.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/articles/nfl/top-20-rookie-passing-seasons-of-last-20-years.aspx

- his deep ball completion % in college was better than bums like Andrew luck and his accuracy was better than luck as a nfl rookie.

- on sport science he was tested to make very quick reads and possess high degree of accuracy

- in multiple games he had deep completions, 70% completion % and 100+ QBR

Stupid facts. They always get in the way of a good lynch-mob that just "knows"...

I hope he goes to the Probowl this year and silences all the naysayers....

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

I feel like we really have no way of knowing what EJ is intending unless you know the play call and have a copy of the play book.

imo it seems to depend on the play's outcome... if the result is bad, he stared down the receiver, if the result is good he meant to stare at the guy. Depends which dope is calling the game on tv haha

Even in the example in Sal's article (2nd still) I think someone would/could argue he's staring down Stevie not Ihedegbo. But who cares, the play worked.

We have no definite way of knowing, lets let the guy play and talk about the end results.

Edited by halijack

quinnearlysghost is just like Quinn Early. He came, he didn't contribute, and was never heard from again.

I'm glad this is posted here, because I've been getting the feeling that fans simply say this because, well, they've heard it and don't know what else to say.

I really haven't seen him "stare down" a target all preseason. I've seen him go to his first read as soon as he hits the back of his drop, but as the article does a good job of articulating, that's not the same as "staring down".

This is what EJ haters do, and yes it's annoying..

I was thinking about the whole "EJ is staring down receivers..." the other day and thought what if - and maybe it's too simple - he started wearing a dark eye shield like Mike Vick, etc? I realize his head placement may still somewhat give it away, but at this point, any little bit helps.

I was thinking about the whole "EJ is staring down receivers..." the other day and thought what if - and maybe it's too simple - he started wearing a dark eye shield like Mike Vick, etc? I realize his head placement may still somewhat give it away, but at this point, any little bit helps.

It's against nfl rules unless he has a medical reason...I was thinking about blacked out contacts! Haha

I know I've complained about this before, EJ staring down his receiver.

Here is a nice little write-up by Sal Capaccio for some added perspective.

link

I think LBs are keying on the first read then when they anticipate a quick pass. Especially within the red zone.

Thank you for the link. Very good read.

None of this can be true. EJ sucks. This has been clearly established on this board based on the "eye test", his "slow eyes", "horrible accuracy", and "lousey deep ball"...

-The stats actually don't back this up compared to some of the top rookie seasons ever by nfl QBs... His rookie QBR was top 10 in last 20 years. This table predates him but he had over 300 completions and 77.7 rating.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/articles/nfl/top-20-rookie-passing-seasons-of-last-20-years.aspx

- his deep ball completion % in college was better than bums like Andrew luck and his accuracy was better than luck as a nfl rookie.

- on sport science he was tested to make very quick reads and possess high degree of accuracy

Stupid facts. They always get in the way of a good lynch-mob that just "knows"...

very nice, I was confused, yet utterly amused.

It's a great article , thx for posting!

BUT... alot of the pre-snap stuff, is EJ's biggest problem. Against a "vanilla D" all that may be true. But in the case of ALOT of D's nowadays (except for Wanny when he was here), teams use stunts, fake LB blitz and drop him back and rush a CB instead etc... EJ has to do better job of recognizing where the hot read is which was big problem last yr and do better job of reading the D pre snap, especially on 3 step drops. That near int close to goaline where he telegraphed pass to Sammy and LB dropped back into coverage rather than blitzing and ball hit LB right in stride. EJ did not recognize the coverage and if LB doesnt drop that ball its a turnover and with a lot of room to run after the int... The play hasnt been dissected enough because it was JUST a batted ball... cuz it was pre season, i would have rather it been a pick 6 so it STICKS in EJ's memory what a bonehead pass that was

He cant show he is better at it till teams start actually doing it

Brilliant article, I feel like this should be standard reading.

Should be required I agree.

Thanks Voodoo. Great post/ link.

I got a little bit smarter today I bet !

low floor low ceiling am I.

it just goes to show ya , all Sals are not created the same.

I like Joe B too.

I'll be considering tis article when i watch EJ from now on in games

EJ needs to stop staring down those DBs, especially safeties.

I'm glad Sal has the credibility to teach football 101, but it's amazing to me that anyone who's more than a casual fan can be surprised by this article.

GO BILLS!!!

http://www.sportingc...t-20-years.aspx

From your list, and EJ's rookie year stats, he fits in at #10 just behind Jeff Garcia.

You must be joking. Outside of this site and maybe a few others, no one is intently scrutinizing the second year QB of the BIlls.

You mean there's more to the internet than TSW? Nah man. Ain't buying it.

You should have read the article - it's a non-issue.

EJ needs to stop staring down those DBs, especially safeties.

I'm glad Sal has the credibility to teach football 101, but it's amazing to me that anyone who's more than a casual fan can be surprised by this article.

GO BILLS!!!

You may keep in mind , there are alot of folks here. Experience and level of immersion varies by a wide range I suspect. Football one oh one ? we all have to start somehwere right ? At some time. I am relearning the game . I slacked off when my son grew up and the Bills were no longer relevant. But these last couple years i can feel something to root for again. So some things i need to relearn and some are all new.

Tolerate us newbies please

:nana:

You may keep in mind , there are alot of folks here. Experience and level of immersion varies by a wide range I suspect. Football one oh one ? we all have to start somehwere right ? At some time. I am relearning the game . I slacked off when my son grew up and the Bills were no longer relevant. But these last couple years i can feel something to root for again. So some things i need to relearn and some are all new.

Tolerate us newbies please

:nana:

If it sounded intolerable or condescending, I apologize. That wasn't my intention. I just take things for granted sometimes.

And compared to raising a son and all the joy (and heartache at times) that entails, the Bills aren't even a pimple on the ass of what's relevant.

GO BILLS!!!