Round 2 : Sale of the team

Hate to say it, but JK is beginning to irritate me in this process. I really hope final, binding bids come in soon so this can be over.

He is coming off as a gold digging opportunist. If his terms for a 2% stake with no contribution from him and a say in the football operations along with his brother are true with the JBJ overture then his involvement doesn't put him in a good light.

Jim Kelly has been a terrific promoter of the community and a sterling member of the community. He is risking his sterling reputation with his attempt to attach himself to an ownership group. I'm not criticizing him for wanting to be involved in one of the bidding groups. I am criticizing him for the manner he is doing it. He not putting any money in the pot and inserting himself into a football operation role seems too self-serving, especially at this very late stage.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree on JK, if in fact those reported terms are accurate.

You would think if he had 100% the best interest of the franchise at heart he would just back/endorse Pegula and it would be ballgame. Pegula knows better than to give JK any type of managerial role, especially a lifetime one.

He would however provide a permanent job for him being an ambassador for the team.

If JK is involved in a bid that will provide him with permanent say in football decisions, I really dont want that bid to win with Pegula still out there.

I don't blame Jim. Unfortunately this came about at the worst possible time for him.

While I do think some of the demands could be true, I would question some of the specifics. No one on this earth would put up that kind of money and then hand final say in all football decisions to someone with a 2% share. It is simply so far out there I can't even see how he could ask for it. Based on this I question some of the other things he supposedly asked for.

A small equity stake, sure. A job, why not? Complete control, I just don't see it?

Edited by SRQ_BillsFan

There really is no "bad guy" here in my opinion. I am only speculating but it makes sense to me that Kelly would have no complaint of

going in with Pegula if Pegula NEEDED Jim's money and thus would offer Jim something he wants in return. Pegula doesn't need Jim's money...right? So , then, what would Pegula "give" to Jimbo to make Jimbo want to give Pegula his money?

I think there really is no match here unless Pegula wants to give up something.

Now, having said that, I would PREFER they matched up but I am not privy to exactly what Jim wants. He wants a guarantee the Bills stay in Buffalo but I don't believe that is all he would ask for. He probably wants some say in the management and now I can see why Pegs would balk at that.

What makes sense to me is a Kelly backing with no money in the deal. Then, after the purchase, Jim is hired by Pegula in some PR fashion.

The Bon Jovi stuff is just a very brief check of the waters I would think. Jim probably wanted to hear what his endorsement would get him in guarantees and power. Neither probably was acceptable so he walked (ran) from Bon Jovi.

Anyway - Gob Bless Jim today as he awaits the news on the effectiveness of his cancer treatments.

Go Bills!

none of these guys need Kelly's money

And none want to fight the public perception battle if Kelly doesn't get the decision-making authority (or other concessions) he wants.

Kelly as part of an ownership group was a great story years ago when everything was uncertain and we felt like we'd need a white knight riding in to save the Bills.

Times have changed, however -- El Pegual is that white knight.

I just dont understand why Kelly doesnt team up with Pegula in some capacity......it would be the final nail in the coffin of the other bidders

Pegula may not want him involved. Certainly not making football decisions. I have a hunch that Thurman Thomas may emerge as a very minor partner with El Pegual. ("It's on like a mofo!")

Hate to say it, but JK is beginning to irritate me in this process. I really hope final, binding bids come in soon so this can be over.

Remember years ago when Kelly said he had his ownership group lined up? Either his group blew up or he never had any group. He also doesn't have the kind of money needed to play this game, not even close. Back when Kelly-as-owner was the hot topic on TBD, I expressed doubt that he really had the wherewithal to pull it off. I know it's bad to speak ill of Jimbo but the guy simply never had a successful business track record. And now he's jumping from one group to another when Terry Pegula is all set to secure the franchise for Buffalo? I don't like what Kelly is doing at all.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

There really is no "bad guy" here in my opinion. I am only speculating but it makes sense to me that Kelly would have no complaint of

going in with Pegula if Pegula NEEDED Jim's money and thus would offer Jim something he wants in return. Pegula doesn't need Jim's money...right? So , then, what would Pegula "give" to Jimbo to make Jimbo want to give Pegula his money?

I think there really is no match here unless Pegula wants to give up something.

Now, having said that, I would PREFER they matched up but I am not privy to exactly what Jim wants. He wants a guarantee the Bills stay in Buffalo but I don't believe that is all he would ask for. He probably wants some say in the management and now I can see why Pegs would balk at that.

What makes sense to me is a Kelly backing with no money in the deal. Then, after the purchase, Jim is hired by Pegula in some PR fashion.

The Bon Jovi stuff is just a very brief check of the waters I would think. Jim probably wanted to hear what his endorsement would get him in guarantees and power. Neither probably was acceptable so he walked (ran) from Bon Jovi.

Anyway - Gob Bless Jim today as he awaits the news on the effectiveness of his cancer treatments.

Go Bills!

2 things here:

1. In a billion plus dollar acquisition, nobody needs the amount that Jim has liquid.

2. If Jim's reported demands are true, I hope that every investor stays far away. I am hesitant to give anybody a lifetime position in making football decisions, let alone the Kelly family. And no just because he played doesn't make him qualified. Hell Marv made basically a career out of evaluating talent as a coach and failed miserably as a GM.

I just dont understand why Kelly doesnt team up with Pegula in some capacity......it would be the final nail in the coffin of the other bidders

It was stated early that Clancy was declined by the league partially because of the fact he not brought 5 mil to the investment group. NFL owners don't like groups, especially ones that don't bring any value. To put it bluntly, Jim is applying to be a mascot with part ownership, not being anything meaningful to the table.

These comments aren't to hate on Jim, just the reality.

Disclaimer, I posted somewhere else about JK lying about having a group ready and him taking responsibility in keeping the Bills in Buffalo. This is different.

Remember years ago when Kelly said he had his ownership group lined up? Either his group blew up or he never had any group.

It's possible that Jim had "something" years ago, but maybe it wasn't a structured group in the sense that we now think of it. He may have gone out and knocked on a few doors to sniff out interest in a future Bills purchase, and determined that there were enough potential suitors willing to step up at the right time. Maybe that was the source of his confidence. We take it for granted NOW that there are groups willing to step up, but years ago none of us knew if that interest was there. Or maybe the group he expected to work with got scared off by Pegula's subsequent investments in Buffalo, attainment of near-hero status and his recent sale of oil and gas properties, and never materialized knowing the team was in good hands.

Kelly may be pursuing his own personal interests recently and that can look unseemly, but I don't think Kelly would knowingly do anything to undermine the future of the Bills in Buffalo in the process of pursuing his self-interest. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on that.

Edited by BillnutinHouston

" Kelly may be pursuing his own personal interests recently and that can look unseemly, but I don't think Kelly would knowingly do anything to undermine the future of the Bills in Buffalo in the process of pursuing his self-interest. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on that. "

Exactly how I choose to see this as well. Especially today. Thanks

It's possible that Jim had "something" years ago, but maybe it wasn't a structured group in the sense that we now think of it. He may have gone out and knocked on a few doors to sniff out interest in a future Bills purchase, and determined that there were enough potential suitors willing to step up at the right time. Maybe that was the source of his confidence. We take it for granted NOW that there are groups willing to step up, but years ago none of us knew if that interest was there. Or maybe the group he expected to work with got scared off by Pegula's subsequent investments in Buffalo, attainment of near-hero status and his recent sale of oil and gas properties, and never materialized knowing the team was in good hands.

Kelly may be pursuing his own personal interests recently and that can look unseemly, but I don't think Kelly would knowingly do anything to undermine the future of the Bills in Buffalo in the process of pursuing his self-interest. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on that.

JBJ and Jim Kelly need to go away. Golisano too. Let Pegula get the team for cheap and build a stadium right away

I hear you from a fan's perspective but that is the exact opposite of what the trust and Morgan Stanley want.

And the Trust/MS perspective is the only one that matters at all.