New sale of team thread

Who is "we". The fans? We have no say I have tried to tell you this from day one. Their goal is to get the best deal possible. Its about MONEY which is what Business is about. Look Ralph kept his word and kept the team here till he died. It is NOT The Trusts job to continue that, its to get the most money possible.

IF they find someone to keep the team here so be it, but understand when the lease is up odds are they will move IF it makes the owner and the NFL more money. Sorry but that is today's NFL. Don't like it, go back to just HS and college football, they are not moving anywhere

Well as maybe a face but that is all. He doesn't have the 30% required to be the top dog, no way he is worth over 300 million dollars.

If you think the Wilson family has a "Screw Buffalo, sell to the highest bidder" mentality, I think you are wrong.

They are going to get their money, make no mistake about that, but I am quite sure they will try to structure the sale in a way that keeps the team in Buffalo for obvious reasons.

Selling at FMV and keeping the team in Buffalo do not have to be mutually exclusive.

Shot through the heart

And you're to blame

Darlin' you give sports a bad name

A football team is what you sell

You promise me heaven then put me through hell

Chains of love got a hold on me

When your team's a prison you can't break free

Whoa! You're a loaded gun (yeah)

Whoa! There's no where to run

No one can save me

The damage is done

Shot through the heart

And you're to blame

You give sports a bad name

I play my part

And you play your game

You give sports a bad name

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Non-relocation guarantees are actually common in sports franchise purchases. The most recent sale of the Clippers included it:

http://probasketball...om-los-angeles/

While they cannot make it indefinite, they can include terms that the purchaser agrees not to relocate the team for a specific time period, or they can tie it to a building lease/construction.

EDIT:

I just looked, and it appears that the Team can craft a Non-Relocation Agreement totally independent of a Stadium Lease, so all they'd really have to do is either sign a Non-Relocation Agreement with NYS that covers the next, say 20 years, or simply amend the existing Non-Relo to cover the time past which the lease expires (to account for new stadium construction).

Great job of researching and great info!!

So the assumption here is that Pegula's being played. Is that a wise assumption?

Pegula will automatically top whatever bids come in, so let's get as many bidders as possible to get him to raise his very reasonable (rumored) offer, to something ludicrous.

It won't be very funny if Pegula doesn't like being treated like some stooge or sucker that's on the other end of the line and unable to get off the hook. He may very well show the trust that that hook isn't quite as firmly embedded as some like to believe. Who are we to say what Pegula will or will not do or to insist that he'll mortgage his life to do us a favor when he may have little chance of even recouping his investment during his lifetime?

Only way I see Pegula stepping aside is if he knows for sure the winning bidder WILL keep the team in town. I see him buying this team strictly due to his loyalty to WNY, that to me speaks volumes about the man.

Edited by DirtDart

Um, you do know Morgan Stanley isn't selling, nor buying, the team, right? What they think of Buffalo, the Bills or the fans is totally irrelevant to the process. They could be scum sucking weasels and it would have no bearing on who gets the team.

The Trust (with Mary Wilson at the helm) has already proven to care about keeping the Bills in Buffalo. The directive to the TO/JBJ group to make a clearer commitment to keeping the Bills in WNY should be proof of that. Any bidder not passing that basic test won't be considered.

First we have people complaining there were only 3 bids (the trust and Morgan Stanley screwed the pooch!). Now many of the same people are complaining about the news there may be up to 8 bidders (the sky is falling, the team is surely moving!).

All you really need to know is, the Bills will likely sell for a record NFL price...AND... they are staying in WNY

Don't worry. Be happy.

(you morons)

Dean doesnt post much (wish he would post more)

But when he does...he carries a big stick lol

I'm never the first to cast stones or call folks names.. You have called me a sock puppet, argumentative and a troll all because I have a different view than yours and 95% of the rest of our fellow Bills fan! I really must say that I think you are a sock puppet. Are you a member who was once banned? Oftentimes a cat will call the kettle black?

Now that there are more than three bidders, the team is more vulnerable to being sold. How could it not be? What evidence is there to support a claim that it isn't??

You're almost up to 10 posts in just one thread. Patience, my young apprentice.

You should bait that hook a little more...I dont think it is obvious enough

Edited by John from Hemet

Morgan Stanley accepted 3 bids before the deadline. 2 out of 3 basically violated the non-disclosure terms. That left Pagula as the only eligible bid. Of course, the bank did not enforce the non-disclosure agreement because their job is to create competition to drive the price up. They cannot just leave it at one bidder.

So basically, we have to endure more waiting to see who will move on to the 2nd round. Round one is going to be a do-over.

Overall, this means anyone who bid gets to show their potential as an owner. Pegula may be the highest bidder, but is he?

I go back to my own beliefs on the Wilson estate selecting the ownership --not highest bidder-- but, who will make Ralph's legacy move forward, by keeping the team in WNY and building a stronger Bills fan base.

I don't believe there are 8 bidders. MS was getting reamed for their handling of the sale and it magically goes from 3 to 8 overnight? I believe there are 5 bidders. First off, the Bills are not moving in 5 years, 10 years, 20 years, regardless of who buys the team. They won't be sold to anyone who intends to move them- ever. Period. End of story. Here's who I believe the bidders are and ranked in terms of ultimately having the winning bid.

1. The Pegulas. 80%

2. Tom Golisano 10%

3. Gundlach/Kelly 5%

4. Donald Trump 3%

5. Bon Jovi/Toronto 1%

6-8. Unknown Phantom Bidders 1%

Honestly think the media is being used by the Bills "insiders" to give the perception of more bidders to make the known bidders think hard about a higher binding bid. And it's mutually beneficial, the trust gets the info out the the media, because they run with anonymous sources and have things to write about absent any need or requirement for accuracy. But here's the reason why I doubt there are more than the four known bidders.... Because the leaks are nonstop. If there were more high roller bidders they'd have leaked, again to drum up higher bids. I guess the opposite could be true as well since GG and DM have been speculated as bidders and neither has refuted it, which they could do I they weren't bidding because the NDA would be irrelevant to them.

I don't think there are 8 legit bidders who, if true, would be willing To commit to keeping the team in Bflo.

Edited by zonabb

Honestly think the media is being used by the Bills "insiders" to give the perception of more bidders to make the known bidders think hard about a higher binding bid. And it's mutually beneficial, the trust gets the info out the the media, because they run with anonymous sources and have things to write about absent any need or requirement for accuracy. But here's the reason why I doubt there are more than the four known bidders.... Because the leaks are nonstop. If there were more high roller bidders they'd have leaked, again to drum up higher bids. I guess the opposite could be true as well since GG and DM have been speculated as bidders and neither has refuted it, which they could do I they weren't bidding because the NDA would be irrelevant to them.

I don't think there are 8 legit bidders who, if true, would be willing To commit to keeping the team in Bflo.

There are and have been the whole time. It was a little perplexing when people were reporting only 3 left. There are legit groups left. I think that we'd all agree that Pegula is the favorite but it isn't a foregone conclusion.

There are and have been the whole time. It was a little perplexing when people were reporting only 3 left. There are legit groups left. I think that we'd all agree that Pegula is the favorite but it isn't a foregone conclusion.

Exactly and you'd think people would be relieved to hear there are backup options intent on keeping the team here, but I learn something new every day.

Not for breaking news there's not. And that thread is way too long

More pages then the first thread about the sale.

This is really important.

3 to 8 is a big deal and we've been told all week it's 2 or 3 moving forward

How is it the first three groups get vetted and these are 5 don't.

Unknown means we could lose the team

You are starting to whine...it's getting tiresome. Sorry, but your last four posts are drenched in tears.

Kirby -- that's possible, as I said, my source on Brandon's comments is not well validated i.e. I only met this person twice.

However, in regards to Pegula as owner, I was told by a very reliable source that Todd France would be in charge of Football Operations and Brandon would not be involved. I interpreted that as he was out of the organization, I didn't get to validate that specific interpretation yet, but I am now thinking it could simply mean that Brandon moves into a Ted Black type of role.

I think this is fairly accurate. For those who follow the Sabres closely, you know that Pegula made many significant additions to their FO when he bought the team. Some of these "executives" are head-scratchers. Joe Battista, for example, likely a favor returned to someone, had no real NHL experience. Pegula will definitely install some of his "own people". Whether Russ and Whaley want to play along is another story. This is one rumor why Pat LaFontaine bailed. Thinking Pegula would choose to run the Bills differently is naive.

There is a lot of money at stake here, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if the bidders or the team were using "anonymous sources" to play bidders off one another. This happens all the time before the draft, with agents using their media contacts to plant information.

Unfortunately, I think that this is going to go on for quite a while. There's going to be a lot of haggling until the trust finally decides on a winner, even though they're looking for a quick sale.