More signs that good QBs are a rarity - Dalton extension

GG

I think he's a decent young QB. Not in Manning, Brees, Brady, Rogers territory but so few are.

Remember the knock on Aaron Rogers? He couldn't win in the playoffs. Of course Rogers numbers were different but there were ill timed picks and failures to finish games. I remember Colin Cowherd going on and on about Rogers not being elite because he could not win in the post season. Until he did win in the playoffs. Now he's one of the best QBs in the league.

I'm not saying Dalton has to win in the playoffs just because Rogers did (or that he is as good). But I could see him winning a couple playoff games and suddenly the entire view of him changes.

I think he's a decent young QB. Not in Manning, Brees, Brady, Rogers territory but so few are.

Remember the knock on Aaron Rogers? He couldn't win in the playoffs. Of course Rogers numbers were different but there were ill timed picks and failures to finish games. I remember Colin Cowherd going on and on about Rogers not being elite because he could not win in the post season. Until he did win in the playoffs. Now he's one of the best QBs in the league.

I'm not saying Dalton has to win in the playoffs just because Rogers did (or that he is as good). But I could see him winning a couple playoff games and suddenly the entire view of him changes.

Agreed and it's just more proof how fans have less patience than 13 year old girls. Dalton has thrown for 80 tds and made the playoffs his first 3 years. For the Bengals, who were an absolute joke as a franchise for the majority of the last 20 years. Fans hate patience.

Also, if he didn't have red hair, people would think he was a better qb. Gingerists.

Bengals - Dalton agree to a $115mm extension? From the cheapest franchise, that speaks volumes in how hard it is to get a decent QB in the league now.

You are right. My first reaction to the deal was "ridiculous." But then I thought how rare even good QBs are. The deal actually makes sense.

I've said this for a long thime, there are 32 teams in the league and about a dozen really good QB's, then another dozen, so-so like Dalton, then the remaining teams play musical chairs hoping to strike lightening in a bottle. Often teams with the so-so guy three years later are in the bottom third as he either doesn't improve or regresses so then they start all over again. And often those eho have the elite guy were more lucky than good in finding him (see NE)

That's also why you don't give up on anyone too quickly as you know the unknown may be even worse. Unless EJ plays absolutely horrendous this season, likely they will more blame it on the OC, replace the OC and give EJ another shot next year. Which is good news for those ripping the Bills for not having a #1 next year to use on a new QB if EJ fails, as doubt they'd use it in that direction next year if they had one unless his play completely regresses.

Also note that reported NFL contracts are the biggest jokes around. Such bad information put out by the media. Dalton won't see close to that money.

EJ's floor is substantially lower than Dalton's, his ceiling substantially higher.

Given our 21 other starters, I'm actually not certain which one I'd rather have.

I generally agree with this. But I feel Dalton is a better qb than folks want to give him credit for.

At this point, I just want to see EJ for 16 games this year. And if that means only 2 series in the hall of game game, I can live with it.

Also note that reported NFL contracts are the biggest jokes around. Such bad information put out by the media. Dalton won't see close to that money.

I generally agree with this. But I feel Dalton is a better qb than folks want to give him credit for.

At this point, I just want to see EJ for 16 games this year. And if that means only 2 series in the hall of game game, I can live with it.

I would have more than satisfied with drafting Dalton in 2011.

I would have more than satisfied with drafting Dalton in 2011.

I was a Kaepernick guy because I thought he was Newton jr. Plus I thought Dalton was Fitz Jr. He looks to be a better version of Fitz.

When it's all said and done, Dalton will probably be the best qb in Bengals history.

I was a Kaepernick guy because I thought he was Newton jr. Plus I thought Dalton was Fitz Jr. He looks to be a better version of Fitz.

When it's all said and done, Dalton will probably be the best qb in Bengals history.

His record at TCU (four year starter, I think six losses total) had me sold. It was all I needed to know.

With the risk of ruffling Mr. McBride's feathers, Andy Dalton is Chad Pennington, and you can get to the playoffs with Chad Pennington, you just can't win the whole thing with Chad Pennington. Dalton has a little better arm but not much. Pennington had a little better head and feel for the game. You can make it to the playoffs with Marty Schottenheimer, you just can't win the whole enchilada.

Granted, those are not 100% certified absolutes but they are, IMO, near certainties. That's why I would never ever give that kind of contract to Andy Dalton.

Andy Dalton - AJ Green = Todd Collins.

Best QB in Bengals history? I think Boomer Esiason would have something to say about that. Unless you were being sarcastic I guess I don't understand this post

This is not a bad deal at all

Mike Garafolo@MikeGarafolo 6m

Andy Dalton's deal with Cincy does indeed have a base value of $96m over 6 years. Gets $18 mil this year. After that, pay as you go.

Jason La Canfora@JasonLaCanfora 14m

Bengals deal with Andy Dalton, like many others, will be pay as you go. His fully guar $ comes in 2014 - $18M. Makes $22M total by next Feb

Jason La Canfora@JasonLaCanfora 4m

So, Dalton gets life-altering $$ in the first 6 months of signing, and the Bengals have flexibility down the road with the contract

12 mill SB and 3 mill roster bonus. 18 mill guaranteed overall/ He only gets to 115 million with playoff escalators.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Best QB in Bengals history? I think Boomer Esiason would have something to say about that. Unless you were being sarcastic I guess I don't understand this post

Whoa, whoa, whoa!

Holy Greg Cook Batman! How could you diss Ken Anderson so?

If Cook hadn't busted his shoulder, he'd been considered one of the greats. He had the sickest fake-handoff ever. He faked out the cameramen on a regular basis.

Same thing was said about Manning the first 7 years of his career.

Kelly the Dog nailed it. Dalton is a "nice" QB, but isn't the QB that's ever going to take you anywhere significant. He's the worst kind of QB to have. Good enough to keep around on your roster that you dont want to cut him, but not good enough to ever win it all.

At least the Bengals did the contract right going year to year.

As far as the Bengals go, I don't think the QB is the problem, it's the head coach.

Marvin Lewis is entering his 12th year as head coach in Cincinnati.

In that time he has an overall record of 89-85-1.

In the postseason, he's 0-5.

Please explain to me why he's still in charge.

Not kidding at all. Dalton has already beat Boomer's career high in yards and tds. In 3 years, he won 9 games or more 3 times. Boomer won 9 games or more 3 times in 9 years as a Bengals' qb. http://m.pfref.com/m?p=XXplayersXXEXXEsiaBo00.htm&t=0

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DaltAn00.htm

Kelly the Dog nailed it. Dalton is a "nice" QB, but isn't the QB that's ever going to take you anywhere significant. He's the worst kind of QB to have. Good enough to keep around on your roster that you dont want to cut him, but not good enough to ever win it all.

At least the Bengals did the contract right going year to year.

I generally agree but given that guys like Flacco and Wilson won SBs and are on a similar to Dalton IMO, I could see Dalton being A SB winning qb.

As far as the Bengals go, I don't think the QB is the problem, it's the head coach.

Marvin Lewis is entering his 12th year as head coach in Cincinnati.

In that time he has an overall record of 89-85-1.

In the postseason, he's 0-5.

Please explain to me why he's still in charge.

Because the Bengals were one of the worst franchises in pro sports prior to Lewis. What he has done with that team, one of the cheapest in sports, is a minor miracle. He's a very underrated coach.

Competent front offices are just as rare.

Feel for Bengal fans, but at least they've fielded some competitive football teams in the last decade and change.

I wouldn't feel too sorry for them. Now that the details are out, this is actually a fantastic deal for them - and pretty shrewd of their front office as well.

Dalton's contract has only $17M of guaranteed money in it, and it is essentially a 2 yr deal worth $25M. After that it becomes a year-to-year deal. If they don't like what they see after 2 more years, they can give him the boot. If he leads them to the promised land, they can pony up and pay him. The last 4 years of his contract only have $7.2M of dead money, which is extremely reasonable for a deal of that size.

And if you are still feeling sorry they give him $25M for 2 years, keep in mind we paid Fitz $10M a year, and somehow his contract had more guaranteed money ($24M) than this Dalton deal. Imagine that!

Edited by QCity

Dalton is a good QB. The guy will get you to the playoffs and no further. He is not a Superbowl QB talent. Only way he wins the big game is if they have a monster defense like the Chicago Bears in 1985. So he gets an extension and the fans think they have the QB of the future wrapped up. I being a Bills fan, I want the Bills to have a very good QB on the team with a long term contract.