Reasons for playoff drought

I have been an avid Bills fan for many years, but do not live in the Buffalo area and recently have read various articles as to the various reasons for the Bills current playoff drought. What do you believe are the three main (or more if you can list them) reasons why this has occurred? Would also like your input regarding how long do you believe it will require the new ownership to return the Bills to being a playoff contending team? GO BILLS.

Personally, I think the #1 reason for their current playoff drought has everything to do with finishing games strong. They've been right there competitively in a LOT of games that they simply don't seem to have the will to close them out. Yesterday, albeit only the first preseason action of the year, was a perfect example. The defensive starters did exactly what I would have wanted them to do. The first series was 3 plays and out. The second was a forced fumble giving the Bills the ball on the Giants 22 yard line. Then the offense gives us a lot of the same of what we've gotten in the past. 5 sputtering plays and a field goal. They will NOT be playoff contenders until they learn to take advantage of opportunities like these.

Quite simply, they don't spend the money on resigning the talent they have, and have built a model whereby rookies "replace" veterans that the front office deems expendable.

Go position by position, and you can find great former Bills all around the league.

At running back, Lynch would look pretty good as the one or 2 back, no?

At qb--even Fitzpatrick would be better than Thad and Tuel.

O line? I'd like to have Peters and Levitre back.

Wideouts? We just traded away Stevie Johnson, our best wideout of the last half decade... for peanuts.

Go through the D:

Linebacker: Poz

Secondary: Winfield, Greer, Byrd

D Line: No one yet, but we've started warming the hot plate on Dareus already

And the one common theme about all of these guys, is that the front office has duped the fans (by way of leaks to the media) to think that all of those players are replaceable, or not worth the money theyre asking for. It's the same story every time one of them leaves: Byrd didn't want to be here, Lynch didn't want to be here, etc. etc. etc. But as an organization, the Bills have created a place where good players feel that they won't get paid, and they're not welcome.

Players talk...and the word around the league is the Bills are a farm team. Cultivate your talents there on your rookie deal then leave for a big pay day elsewhere.

And we're perpetually under the cap.

1. Owner

2. Front office

3. No QB with any talent after Kelly except 10 games from Bledsoe

4. No depth

5. Constant change in defensive scheme

6. Tom Brady

This is a good list. I would personally add Marv Levy as #2 though. He let this team get old, was a big reason why Polian left, he came back and was a horrible personnel person.

Marv Levy is directly responsible in many ways for this franchise sucking for years, and is the single most undeserving person in the NFL HOF too.

Curse of Flutie.

And it really is all about the Qbs. As bad as people want to make out our drafting, a good qb would have gotten those teams to the playoffs. We've won 6-7 games starting guys like Edwards, Losman, & Fitz.

This year is probably our most talented roster since 2003. EJ is the ? But his margin of error is smaller due to the talent around him.

Poor FA management - both management of their own and who they bring in

Poor coaching - Greggo & Wanny as exhibits 1A&1B but there are many more

Poor QB play - except for Drew's 1st 8 games, Fitzy has been the best of the bunch

Poor drafting, both philosophically & in actual selections

Poor conditioning &/or poor luck - lots of injuries

Which all indicts poor FO directly & ownership indirectly.

That covers most of it.

But it does seem to be turning around. There's light at the end of the tunnel; hopefully it's not an oncoming train. ;)

3 reasons.....poor front office....bad coaching hires.....no QB.

I agree with these 3, but hoping with new ownership that they will invest what is required to improve the front office and then hopefully its a dominion effect after that, an improved front office will equate to improved coaching hires and improved player selection and eventually they will land a top tier QB.

QB

That is all.

and if you really wanted to get to 3 you would just have to follow up the food chain to those selecting qbs, those selecting the guys that select qbs, and of course for a lucky number 4 possibly those developing qbs (not that i can say we had GREAT prospects that would have been great bets elsewhere).

and if you really wanted to get to 3 you would just have to follow up the food chain to those selecting qbs, those selecting the guys that select qbs, and of course for a lucky number 4 possibly those developing qbs (not that i can say we had GREAT prospects that would have been great bets elsewhere).

Indeed...I felt it went without saying, but probably should've elaborated.

Not finding a QB who can lead and win games with his arm.

Being a bottom 1/3 spender in relation to salary cap ceiling.

Having coaches who aren't capable of beating quality teams / coaches on the road.

Not stopping the run. We've been terrible in this regard.

Quite simply, they don't spend the money on resigning the talent they have, and have built a model whereby rookies "replace" veterans that the front office deems expendable.

Go position by position, and you can find great former Bills all around the league.

At running back, Lynch would look pretty good as the one or 2 back, no?

At qb--even Fitzpatrick would be better than Thad and Tuel.

O line? I'd like to have Peters and Levitre back.

Wideouts? We just traded away Stevie Johnson, our best wideout of the last half decade... for peanuts.

Go through the D:

Linebacker: Poz

Secondary: Winfield, Greer, Byrd

D Line: No one yet, but we've started warming the hot plate on Dareus already

And the one common theme about all of these guys, is that the front office has duped the fans (by way of leaks to the media) to think that all of those players are replaceable, or not worth the money theyre asking for. It's the same story every time one of them leaves: Byrd didn't want to be here, Lynch didn't want to be here, etc. etc. etc. But as an organization, the Bills have created a place where good players feel that they won't get paid, and they're not welcome.

Players talk...and the word around the league is the Bills are a farm team. Cultivate your talents there on your rookie deal then leave for a big pay day elsewhere.

And we're perpetually under the cap.

I agree... We let a lot of talent walk, but at the same time, because of the salary cap, it's impossible to retain all your "home grown" talent. Look at the deals these players sign when they leave... There just isn't enough room to keep them all.

I think the primary reason is QB play... With our current roster, a top 15 QB would take this team to the playoffs- I have no doubt about it!

People love to cite the money argument, but it is simply a fallacy. The new CBA requires every team in the NFL to average 89% spending of the cap for 2013-2016. That means if the average cap is $160 million that they must spend a minimum of $142.4 million. Could they be on the low end? Sure, but it's not as low as people make it out to be. BTW, in 2017, that requirement jumps from 89% to 95% for the four years following. I.e. there really isn't all that big of a difference between those spending at the top and those at the bottom. The range is a lot tighter than it was under the old CBA, that's for sure.

The fans are too impatient with new coaches. Fans scream for a new coach after a couple of losing seasons. They think there is an abundant supply of quality NFL coaches wanting to come to Buffalo. A revolving door in coaches has resulted in constant change in Offensive and Defensive schemes. The players never become experts of the playbook. Since Wade Phillips left, there has been 6 head coaches. I would like to see Marrone given at least 5 years.

The bills have not had a strong group of players that hated losing. Jim Kelly once said, you would have never known that the team just lost on Sunday, by the way the locker room atmosphere was on Monday. ( I think this is changing and it starts with Marrone)

Bad Drafting by the Bills. (Again, I think this has changed too. I really like the last 2 drafts)

Having coaches who aren't capable of beating quality teams / coaches on the road.

Get the papers get the papers

Different reasons for different years. When we had a great D, we had crappy QBs. With Fitz - present, we've had crappy D and capable offenses. Sprinkle in some bad head coaches, bad coordinators and a few ridiculous injury bugs ... you got yourself a playoff drought.

Simple. The Bills haven't been to the playoff because they #1 Haven't won enough games. They haven't won games because they have settled for #2 poor or inexperienced coaching. In reality, coaching wasn't all to blame due to the #3 lack of talent on the Bills roster. With that being said, any team that constantly fielded a NFL team with poor coaching and week talent ultimately has a #4 Weak front office.

Different reasons for different years. When we had a great D, we had crappy QBs. With Fitz - present, we've had crappy D and capable offenses. Sprinkle in some bad head coaches, bad coordinators and a few ridiculous injury bugs ... you got yourself a playoff drought.

And the same owner the entire time...

This is quite simple, and it ISN'T because they don't spend money resigning their own players( they do and they spend plenty, more than some teams that have won far more games. No team can keep every player, and the Steelers and Pats are notorious for replacing guys when they become expendable ie too expensive). Reason 1) the Bills have not had a top QB since maybe one half of a season with Drew Bledsoe. They waited far too long to draft one, and happen to reside in the AFC east with Brady. Starting out each season assigned to the Wildcard road is a big disadvantage for a playoff berth. 2. Lack of a top head coach. The unstable ownership situation since the late Ralph Wilson hit about age 80 kept high profile candidates away. 3. Too many poor drafts. The Bills have very few of their own 1st round picks on the team from the last 8 or 9 drafts. Many were busts or just not good enough to live up to their draft billing and walked when FA came around (Whitner for example. Decent player , but should have been available in round two, round one should have been Ngata or Cutler. ) this has lead to a dearth of star players on the roster that were drafted by the Bills. The nucleus of any winner; it's just cost prohibitive to build a team out of FA's. Hopefully this gets turned around. Letting Byrd go was a good non- resign. You don't break the bank for a FS. Or a guard for that matter. The Bills need more (homegrown) star players to break through to the playoffs. They seem to be on the right path. Many of their games are close and they just need a few plays here and there to earn victory. Star players are usually that difference, especially at QB.