Reasons for playoff drought

I have been an avid Bills fan for many years, but do not live in the Buffalo area and recently have read various articles as to the various reasons for the Bills current playoff drought. What do you believe are the three main (or more if you can list them) reasons why this has occurred? Would also like your input regarding how long do you believe it will require the new ownership to return the Bills to being a playoff contending team? GO BILLS.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I think the #1 reason for their current playoff drought has everything to do with finishing games strong. They've been right there competitively in a LOT of games that they simply don't seem to have the will to close them out. Yesterday, albeit only the first preseason action of the year, was a perfect example. The defensive starters did exactly what I would have wanted them to do. The first series was 3 plays and out. The second was a forced fumble giving the Bills the ball on the Giants 22 yard line. Then the offense gives us a lot of the same of what we've gotten in the past. 5 sputtering plays and a field goal. They will NOT be playoff contenders until they learn to take advantage of opportunities like these.

Quite simply, they don't spend the money on resigning the talent they have, and have built a model whereby rookies "replace" veterans that the front office deems expendable.

Go position by position, and you can find great former Bills all around the league.

At running back, Lynch would look pretty good as the one or 2 back, no?

At qb--even Fitzpatrick would be better than Thad and Tuel.

O line? I'd like to have Peters and Levitre back.

Wideouts? We just traded away Stevie Johnson, our best wideout of the last half decade... for peanuts.

Go through the D:

Linebacker: Poz

Secondary: Winfield, Greer, Byrd

D Line: No one yet, but we've started warming the hot plate on Dareus already

And the one common theme about all of these guys, is that the front office has duped the fans (by way of leaks to the media) to think that all of those players are replaceable, or not worth the money theyre asking for. It's the same story every time one of them leaves: Byrd didn't want to be here, Lynch didn't want to be here, etc. etc. etc. But as an organization, the Bills have created a place where good players feel that they won't get paid, and they're not welcome.

Players talk...and the word around the league is the Bills are a farm team. Cultivate your talents there on your rookie deal then leave for a big pay day elsewhere.

And we're perpetually under the cap.

1. Owner

2. Front office

3. No QB with any talent after Kelly except 10 games from Bledsoe

4. No depth

5. Constant change in defensive scheme

6. Tom Brady

This is a good list. I would personally add Marv Levy as #2 though. He let this team get old, was a big reason why Polian left, he came back and was a horrible personnel person.

Marv Levy is directly responsible in many ways for this franchise sucking for years, and is the single most undeserving person in the NFL HOF too.

Curse of Flutie.

And it really is all about the Qbs. As bad as people want to make out our drafting, a good qb would have gotten those teams to the playoffs. We've won 6-7 games starting guys like Edwards, Losman, & Fitz.

This year is probably our most talented roster since 2003. EJ is the ? But his margin of error is smaller due to the talent around him.

Poor FA management - both management of their own and who they bring in

Poor coaching - Greggo & Wanny as exhibits 1A&1B but there are many more

Poor QB play - except for Drew's 1st 8 games, Fitzy has been the best of the bunch

Poor drafting, both philosophically & in actual selections

Poor conditioning &/or poor luck - lots of injuries

Which all indicts poor FO directly & ownership indirectly.

That covers most of it.

But it does seem to be turning around. There's light at the end of the tunnel; hopefully it's not an oncoming train. ;)

3 reasons.....poor front office....bad coaching hires.....no QB.

I agree with these 3, but hoping with new ownership that they will invest what is required to improve the front office and then hopefully its a dominion effect after that, an improved front office will equate to improved coaching hires and improved player selection and eventually they will land a top tier QB.

QB

That is all.

and if you really wanted to get to 3 you would just have to follow up the food chain to those selecting qbs, those selecting the guys that select qbs, and of course for a lucky number 4 possibly those developing qbs (not that i can say we had GREAT prospects that would have been great bets elsewhere).

and if you really wanted to get to 3 you would just have to follow up the food chain to those selecting qbs, those selecting the guys that select qbs, and of course for a lucky number 4 possibly those developing qbs (not that i can say we had GREAT prospects that would have been great bets elsewhere).

Indeed...I felt it went without saying, but probably should've elaborated.