Do you believe that the Toronto group will keep the team in Buffalo?

KDIGGZ

268 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe the Toronto group when they say they will keep the team in Buffalo?

• Yes
    • No way
    • I'm hopelessly optimistic and let's see what happens

The sudden mediablitz on JBJ keeping the bills in town is scary. It almost seems as if they know they have the winning bid and are doing preemptive damage control on the backlash. 0% chance that group keeps them in town beyond the current lease. I hope I'm wrong, but this all certainly seems planned.

Unfortunately, these are my exact thoughts/suspicions.

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone who is honest with themselves, forget others for a moment, but honest with themsevles, that believes an owner other than a locally vested individual or group are going to keep this team in Buffalo are only lying to themselves.

If the team is bought by an entity, individual or group, that is not vested in the area, say goodbye to the team.

Anyone who is honest with themselves, forget others for a moment, but honest with themsevles, that believes an owner other than a locally vested individual or group are going to keep this team in Buffalo are only lying to themselves.

If the team is bought by an entity, individual or group, that is not vested in the area, say goodbye to the team.

That just isn't true. They cannot be bought by an entity in the NFL. You need 1 voice. In addition there are groups with no ties to WNY that plan on keeping the team. (This has nothing to do with JBJ).

I believe that but I also believe that residency is optional. If I can get a person who was raised in the area who wants the team as a fan I'm good with that. Lots of people left B-Lo to make their money and hold similar beliefs as we do regarding the Bills staying in Buffalo.

That just isn't true. They cannot be bought by an entity in the NFL. You need 1 voice. In addition there are groups with no ties to WNY that plan on keeping the team. (This has nothing to do with JBJ).

You believe what you will. I happen to believe differently.

I've heard no direct talk from any group save the Galisano and Pegula groups that have a vested interest in the area. So yes, you are incorrect and it is true.

You can attempt to say as loud as you like other wise, but show me the vested interested from any other known group. You can't.

Say good bye to the team if they are not willing to invest in the area, because the only way to increase revenue (in case you haven't noticed, the NFL and the teams are a business first and foremost, even for the rich) is to find a way for yourself, as an individual owner, or a group to invest in the community in a larger scale to strengthen the market.

Like I said, you only lie to yourself to believe otherwise. Stop thinking with passion, start using your brain. This is about money, nothing more, nothing less. The only 2 individuals that have been reported to be interested to buy the team with local vested interests are Pegula and Galisano. So please, just stop the nonsense talk.

I believe that but I also believe that residency is optional. If I can get a person who was raised in the area who wants the team as a fan I'm good with that. Lots of people left B-Lo to make their money and hold similar beliefs as we do regarding the Bills staying in Buffalo.

While that is possible, it's highly unlikely. There are philanthropists. But in the Bills case, there is a great deal of money at stake. I've seen the number 1.2 billion for the team bantered about, believe me, this team is going to sell for more than that, perhaps approaching the 2 billion mark. It's an NFL franchise, with a very attractive out clause in a handful of years. Power players take note of that for sure, you can bank on it.

I've heard no direct talk from any group save the Galisano and Pegula groups that have a vested interest in the area. So yes, you are incorrect and it is true.

You can attempt to say as loud as you like other wise, but show me the vested interested from any other known group. You can't.

Say good bye to the team if they are not willing to invest in the area, because the only way to increase revenue (in case you haven't noticed, the NFL and the teams are a business first and foremost, even for the rich) is to find a way for yourself, as an individual owner, or a group to invest in the community in a larger scale to strengthen the market.

Like I said, you only lie to yourself to believe otherwise. Stop thinking with passion, start using your brain. This is about money, nothing more, nothing less. The only 2 individuals that have been reported to be interested to buy the team with local vested interests are Pegula and Galisano. So please, just stop the nonsense talk.

While that is possible, it's highly unlikely. There are philanthropists. But in the Bills case, there is a great deal of money at stake. I've seen the number 1.2 billion for the team bantered about, believe me, this team is going to sell for more than that, perhaps approaching the 2 billion mark. It's an NFL franchise, with a very attractive out clause in a handful of years. Power players take note of that for sure, you can bank on it.

If I were presented with the choice of Trump, Tanenbaum and Gundlach I'd take Gundlach all day and twice on Sundays - that he lives in LA is irrelevant frankly. I'd obviously PREFER Pegula but given the choice of lesser evils I'll take the guy who grew up with the team over the guys who didnt

why do the owners have to be local? Ralph lived in Detroit!

Pegula wasn't "local" when he bought the Sabres

There's "not local" and then there's "been slobbering and drooling all over the team for a good decade, got their hooks partially in, and are THIS CLOSE to finally sealing the deal and getting what they have always wanted"

Edited by TheFunPolice

If I were presented with the choice of Trump, Tanenbaum and Gundlach I'd take Gundlach all day and twice on Sundays - that he lives in LA is irrelevant frankly. I'd obviously PREFER Pegula but given the choice of lesser evils I'll take the guy who grew up with the team over the guys who didnt

I would normally concur with your thoughts here. But I know hedge fund operators. Their MO has always been, to date, money.

I'd like to believe that this individual is different, and, maybe he is, but in the end, I'm not willing to let myself be deluded into that thought process, it only skews my focus on the facts at hand for the franchise remaining in Buffalo.

I to want Pegula by the way, but would be more than satisfied with Galisano. Both have proven worthy area investors who believe in the region, Pegula has even taken steps to substantially enhance the area in a sport, I believe Galisano learned something from that and would be willing to do so as well.

I would normally concur with your thoughts here. But I know hedge fund operators. Their MO has always been, to date, money.

I'd like to believe that this individual is different, and, maybe he is, but in the end, I'm not willing to let myself be deluded into that thought process, it only skews my focus on the facts at hand for the franchise remaining in Buffalo.

I to want Pegula by the way, but would be more than satisfied with Galisano. Both have proven worthy area investors who believe in the region, Pegula has even taken steps to substantially enhance the area in a sport, I believe Galisano learned something from that and would be willing to do so as well.

So given Trump, Tanenbaum or Gundlach who would YOU take?

Also, it's not that I'd be displeased with Golisano it's moreso that he's already in his 70's and given my druthers I'd like someone younger. If I'm honest the Briere/Drury thing still nags at me as well.

Edited by DJasper Probincrux III

why do the owners have to be local? Ralph lived in Detroit!

Pegula wasn't "local" when he bought the Sabres

There's "not local" and then there's "been slobbering and drooling all over the team for a good decade, got their hooks partially in, and are THIS CLOSE to finally sealing the deal and getting what they have always wanted"

You are correct in so far as RW not being local, but then again, that's an after thought as he is gone and the team remained in what he referred to as his "second city" due to his love for the region. That individual no longer exists, god rest his soul.

Pegula is local however, not directly, but through family ties and he has proven to be more than willing to invest in the region, see Harbor Center for details.

Galisano has been invested in the region because he built a defining business from the region and take a look at what he did for the other pro sports franchise in the area. He turned down lucrative offers from individuals known to want to move that franchise to fine the "right guy" for the franchise.

If you don't believe these 2 individuals are invested in the WNY region, then may I suggest you research the situations. It will help a great deal to see where these 2 individuals sit in so far as WNY are concerned. And yes, I would have moved to florida as well if I had that kind of cash and NY was raping me income tax wise, but look, his business remains, kind of makes you go hmmmmmm.........doesn't it now, or at least it should.

So given Trump, Tanenbaum or Gundlach who would YOU take?

Also, it's not that I'd be displeased with Golisano it's moreso that he's already in his 70's and given my druthers I'd like someone younger. If I'm honest the Briere/Drury thing still nags at me as well.

Honestly, I would go with Trump. Believe it or not, I believe him when he says he'd keep the team in Buffalo, It's an ego thing with him, a challenge as well. He feels up to the task, and he most likely is.

As for the D/B scenario, I'm not stating Galisano made the right choices with partners and/or management of the franchise, merely that he was willing to leave money on the table to ensure the franchises existence in WNY, that alone speaks volumes to me.

You are correct in so far as RW not being local, but then again, that's an after thought as he is gone and the team remained in what he referred to as his "second city" due to his love for the region. That individual no longer exists, god rest his soul.

Pegula is local however, not directly, but through family ties and he has proven to be more than willing to invest in the region, see Harbor Center for details.

Galisano has been invested in the region because he built a defining business from the region and take a look at what he did for the other pro sports franchise in the area. He turned down lucrative offers from individuals known to want to move that franchise to fine the "right guy" for the franchise.

If you don't believe these 2 individuals are invested in the WNY region, then may I suggest you research the situations. It will help a great deal to see where these 2 individuals sit in so far as WNY are concerned. And yes, I would have moved to florida as well if I had that kind of cash and NY was raping me income tax wise, but look, his business remains, kind of makes you go hmmmmmm.........doesn't it now, or at least it should.

Honestly, I would go with Trump. Believe it or not, I believe him when he says he'd keep the team in Buffalo, It's an ego thing with him, a challenge as well. He feels up to the task, and he most likely is.

As for the D/B scenario, I'm not stating Galisano made the right choices with partners and/or management of the franchise, merely that he was willing to leave money on the table to ensure the franchises existence in WNY, that alone speaks volumes to me.

You could be right about Trump. There are several issues with a bid from him. His gambling interests, his personality, and that whole USFL thing don't really work in his favor. That being said, you know that we'd have a loud voice stumping for us in owners meetings. RE: The USFL, i don't see any of the legacy ownership groups voting to approve him.

You could be right about Trump. There are several issues with a bid from him. His gambling interests, his personality, and that whole USFL thing don't really work in his favor. That being said, you know that we'd have a loud voice stumping for us in owners meetings. RE: The USFL, i don't see any of the legacy ownership groups voting to approve him.

To me Trump seems to be mostly hot air, always looking for a way to push himself into the public eye.

If you were the other owners, would you want to have the accompanying Donald Circus at every owners' meeting? They would need to be pretty much out of options to pick The Donald, imo

Well, you didn't ask me if he would be approved, only what my choice would be amongst the 3 you gave, out of them, he is the one that I would look to the most. The reasoning for me is simple, he doesn't back down from a challenge and he backs up what he says. I've never known Trump to shy away from what he stands for or believes in or has publicly stated.

The other 2 choices you gave I've just never seen them as serious purchasers, not when you have other major players in the game.

To me, in any event, it will come down to 2 sets of groups. Pegula and Galisano on the local front, JBJ/Rogers and an as yet to be named individual on the other front.

Don't ask me why I feel this to be the case, just know that I feel that will be the case. And, a stadium will be coming with the 2 local front guys. As for the others, that remains to be seen as of yet as I am unaware if they pitched one to the NFL.

To me Trump seems to be mostly hot air, always looking for a way to push himself into the public eye.

If you were the other owners, would you want to have the accompanying Donald Circus at every owners' meeting? They would need to be pretty much out of options to pick The Donald, imo

They tolerate Jerry Jones and I think Jones would vote for him.

Bills Gates should buy them.....

Paul Allen did it, why not Gates?

I think he has the dough.....

Gates no longer has the liquidity to do so. Yes, he retained some of his wealth, but a majority of it is now vested in his foundation, which by the way, creates a nifty tax shelter for those monies. Interesting isn't it.

Well, you didn't ask me if he would be approved, only what my choice would be amongst the 3 you gave, out of them, he is the one that I would look to the most. The reasoning for me is simple, he doesn't back down from a challenge and he backs up what he says. I've never known Trump to shy away from what he stands for or believes in or has publicly stated.

The other 2 choices you gave I've just never seen them as serious purchasers, not when you have other major players in the game.

To me, in any event, it will come down to 2 sets of groups. Pegula and Galisano on the local front, JBJ/Rogers and an as yet to be named individual on the other front.

Don't ask me why I feel this to be the case, just know that I feel that will be the case. And, a stadium will be coming with the 2 local front guys. As for the others, that remains to be seen as of yet as I am unaware if they pitched one to the NFL.

Rogers and Tanenbaum are part of the same group IIRC. There is only one Toronto group.

No offense but the last thing that my posts are based on is blind hope. It is based on information and a pretty strong knowledge of the situation.

League rules prevent an entity from being the owner. That is not what I believe, it is the rule.

I have said on many, many occasions that Pegula and Golisano are my 2 favorite candidates. They are not however the only groups that intend on keeping the team in WNY. There are names that have been mentioned (Gundlach for 1) that have ties to WNY. Then there are others that have not surfaced publicly (including a very, very, very wealthy group that I have alluded to on a few occasions) that have no WNY ties but a desire to keep the team there.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

A lease extention till 2045 with a $ 500 m penalty if moved would work for me. I have to see it written in stone , not just words.

I would like to believe Jaws but it has to be in writing.

Edited by ALF

The most ridiculous thing about this poll? No way of proving whether you are right or wrong if JBJ's group doesn't win the bid.... So you can keep shouting till your blue about how "you know" this group would move the team.

Brilliant.

The question is do you believe them when they say they will keep the team in Buffalo? Irregardless of whether they win the bid or not, we wanted to see if TBD's trust level with this group. Nothing ridiculous about that. Let's stay on topic please

I think they would move the team as soon as it makes fiscal sense... ie whenever that smaller penalty window happens, vs the big penalty.

If I'll support the team after that, who knows.

Edited by Dorkington

The question is do you believe them when they say they will keep the team in Buffalo? Irregardless of whether they win the bid or not, we wanted to see if TBD's trust level with this group. Nothing ridiculous about that. Let's stay on topic please

Common man, that's a silly question.

Common man, that's a silly question.

Why is that a silly question? There are a lot on this board that seem to support the Toronto group and believe them when they say they will stay in Buffalo. I wanted to see what the rest of TBD thinks

The Gundlach saga about his departure from TCW and his starting DoubleLine is bizarre and give me cause for concern. Drugs and porn in his office isn't a good sign.

That being said, he's wildly successful and a much better alternative than the Toronto group.

The Gundlach saga about his departure from TCW and his starting DoubleLine is bizarre and give me cause for concern. Drugs and porn in his office isn't a good sign.

That being said, he's wildly successful and a much better alternative than the Toronto group.

Gundlach is a genius. A freaking genius. We'd be lucky to have him as our owner, seriously.

so this is me sounding like a complete idiot, but I need to ask.

Is it really practical to think the league owners would approve anyone who hasn't given a firm commitment to keeping the Bills in Buffalo long term? Would the other owners in the league, and whomever buys the team run the risk of it being a lame-duck franchise until the penalty period is up and the team can be moved cheaper than now? Wouldn't that be a huge black eye for the league to see a mostly empty stadium and a team generating no real revenue because the city and the fans have possibly turned their collective backs on their team?

I'm not saying I'm smart, so don't attack, just the thoughts in my head

Gundlach is a genius. A freaking genius. We'd be lucky to have him as our owner, seriously.

I'm not saying he's not smart. Clearly he is. All I'm saying is that he's got a few strange skeletons in the closet and that's a reason for concern.

I'm not saying he's not smart. Clearly he is. All I'm saying is that he's got a few strange skeletons in the closet and that's a reason for concern.

Fair enough. I've met the guy and maybe that's biasing me in his favor. But I know this: he won't stand for losing, and he won't stand for the Bills moving anywhere else.

with the irsay scandal going on the nfl is trying to get away from guys who have a drug history.

I'm surprised he's even bothering with a bid if that's the case. Maybe he's already asked whether that would be a problem?

Sal on WGR just said, well Bon Jovi will be majority owner. Well, yes but let's do some math. Jovi 40% MLSE 30% Rogers 30% = Toronto Billionaires with 60%. So while Bon Jon may be majority owner and the NFL figurehead for their group, money talks and 60% is still greater than 40%.

That's a lot of Loonies!

Why is that a silly question? There are a lot on this board that seem to support the Toronto group and believe them when they say they will stay in Buffalo. I wanted to see what the rest of TBD thinks

I have yet to see one person that supports that group.

so this is me sounding like a complete idiot, but I need to ask.

Is it really practical to think the league owners would approve anyone who hasn't given a firm commitment to keeping the Bills in Buffalo long term? Would the other owners in the league, and whomever buys the team run the risk of it being a lame-duck franchise until the penalty period is up and the team can be moved cheaper than now? Wouldn't that be a huge black eye for the league to see a mostly empty stadium and a team generating no real revenue because the city and the fans have possibly turned their collective backs on their team?

I'm not saying I'm smart, so don't attack, just the thoughts in my head

That's a really well thought out question. In addition, if they say one thing and then do something different will the owners approve their relocation?