Training Camp 2014...Tweets from all sources, Week 1

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to create pandemonium, however in the last 3 years: marcus easley unexplained walking around at training camp- heart condition-missed a whole year. The next year Donald jones unexplained walking around training camp- kidneys- missed the whole year. Last year chris harriston with a mystery injury from the spring walking around-believe it was his hip- out for the year. This year cordy glenn unexplained-?-?

I'm kinda glad that Henderson is getting starting reps opportunity right now, because I'm also hoping Glenn will be fine...

Also, sounds like EJ is struggling from today's tweets... though with all the OL struggles, I wonder if it's all EJ, or not. Seems like the reporters are pinning it on him...

Unfortunately/Fortunately for us, we're probably stuck with EJ until the 2016 draft.

Not to create pandemonium, however in the last 3 years: marcus easley unexplained walking around at training camp- heart condition-missed a whole year. The next year Donald jones unexplained walking around training camp- kidneys- missed the whole year. Last year chris harriston with a mystery injury from the spring walking around-believe it was his hip- out for the year. This year cordy glenn unexplained-?-?

All 4 of them went to the same Mighty Taco.

@ProFootballTalk: Florio threw himself five softballs about the Buffalo Bills; see whether he whiffed on any/many/all of them http://t.co/TlKgWC8UKp

@BuffRumblings: ICYMI last night, @JoeBuscaglia joined us for #BRLive and we broke down every position group and big camp questions. https://t.co/ZOD8mg4bi8

Thanks for doing this, Yolo!

you bet!

Good point, although our depth at QB is a concern.

I expected Thad to come outta the gates stronger than the preliminary reports reflect.

I recallThad did a decent job last year. I remember some outstanding plays. I also remember a lot of 3 and outs. But with a better team around him this year... probably more 3 and outs.

Sounds like Tuel's getting his chance to me. Scratch one horrible throw last year and we're probably singin' a different song about good 'ol JT. No?

I expected Thad to come outta the gates stronger than the preliminary reports reflect.

I recallThad did a decent job last year. I remember some outstanding plays. I also remember a lot of 3 and outs. But with a better team around him this year... probably more 3 and outs.

Sounds like Tuel's getting his chance to me. Scratch one horrible throw last year and we're probably singin' a different song about good 'ol JT. No?

Your point is well taken, but it wasn't just one horrible throw from JT---that Cleveland game was a nightmare once he came in (and yes, being asked to come in cold off the bench is part of the deal for backups).

It's interesting that everyone else is talking about the OL and Wawrow keeps talking EJ.

I first noticed this with the Tim Graham vs EJ thread, when EJ asked if the bills should draft QB... And Tim said yes.

Edit: I mention this because Warrow jumped in this discussion defending Graham and sort of chastising EJ with some thinly veiled rhetoric.

There have been a lot of for and against articles on EJ... I always see Warrow on the not good enough side of the discussion. Some element seems to hint of a personal conflict. Almost like he thinks EJ is sort of an arrogant phoney. And I apologize, not putting any words in mouths. This is my perception. Could be all wrong.

If you want objectivity on QB play, Joe B is your guy.

That said, sounds like everyone other than Watkins on o team had a rough first day with pads.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

"That said, sounds like everyone other than Watkins on o team had a rough first day with pads."....not according to EJ....from BB.com blog.... Q: Give us your thoughts on the day. Seemed like it was a little bit rough.

A: No, it was a good day. I thought we had a good day. It was the first third down day. We just have to continue to get better. It was the first full pad practice. I thought we ran the ball well. I thought we threw the ball well. So, it was a good day.

I'm on the fence... Are sports writers only to write based on the facts, or is it fair for them to write what they feel (opinions)??

Hard to say exactly - even a fact in football has a lot of moving parts. "EJ missed a wide-open so-and-so" could be EJ's fault, the receiver could have missed a break, it could have been a timing issue, EJ could have had hands in his face... I appreciate the reporters who can provide the most facts and context. They get the BOD if they are going to provide some commentary and critique now and then. JoeB is a big winner in this department.

"That said, sounds like everyone other than Watkins on o team had a rough first day with pads."....not according to EJ....from BB.com blog.... Q: Give us your thoughts on the day. Seemed like it was a little bit rough.

A: No, it was a good day. I thought we had a good day. It was the first third down day. We just have to continue to get better. It was the first full pad practice. I thought we ran the ball well. I thought we threw the ball well. So, it was a good day.

Let's say he gives the "factual answer."

Headlines:

- Manuel frustrated with offense on Day 3

- Manuel criticizes offense

- Manuel not on same page with receivers

- Manuel admits he was "bad"

I'm on the fence... Are sports writers only to write based on the facts, or is it fair for them to write what they feel (opinions)??

I think Twitter has very much blurred this distinction for reporters. In fact, unless I see a link to an article (AP for jw, BN for Gaughan, etc.) I assume it to be their personal opinion. Which is fine with me. Some "reporters" write opinion pieces for their employers anyway, and are paid for these opinions and "clicks" they receive in social media. But for those who are expected to be objective for their employers I believe their tweets are their own viewpoints. If you look at the twitter profiles of most media, it says something to the effect of "The opinions expressed in this account are my own and not those of WGR/ESPN/etc." This is also to protect the employer.

I first noticed this with the Tim Graham vs EJ thread, when EJ asked if the bills should draft QB... And Tim said yes.

There have been a lot of for and against articles on EJ... I always see Warrow on the not good enough side of the discussion. Some element seems to hint of a personal conflict. Almost like he thinks EJ is sort of an arrogant phoney. And I apologize, not putting any words in mouths. This is my perception. Could be all wrong.

If you want objectivity on QB play, Joe B is your guy.

That said, sounds like everyone other than Watkins on o team had a rough first day with pads.

Ah... that was an epic thread.

John Wawrow@john_wawrow 1m

It would be one thing if I was the only one suggesting EJ struggled. Turns out only one saying EJ didn't struggle is, well, EJ. #BillsCamp

Edited by YoloinOhio

It would be one thing if I was the only one suggesting EJ struggled. Turns out only one saying EJ didn't struggle is, well, EJ. #BillsCamp

He must be reading this thread. In any case, who knows? Maybe he doesn't like EJ for whatever reason, or just maybe that's his honest opinion on the player who holds the most important position in the game, hence the perceived incessant coverage and tweets on Manuel.

I'm encouraged that he seems to have the mental makeup of someone willing to put in the work to succeed and by most accounts he appears to be very mature. But, I don't know, he just doesn't seem to have "it". I hope I'm wrong and I hope he shows noticeable improvement over last year, not incremental, but clear improvement.

Edited by Magox

He must be reading this thread. In any case, who knows? Maybe he doesn't like EJ for whatever reason, or just maybe that's his honest opinion on the player who holds the most important position in the game, hence the perceived incessant coverage and tweets on Manuel.

I'm encouraged that he seems to have the mental makeup of someone willing to put in the work to succeed and by most accounts he appears to be very mature. But, I don't know, he just doesn't seem to have "it". I hope I'm wrong and I hope he shows noticeable improvement over last year, not incremental, but clear improvement.

It seems like some are taking exception more with how EJ handled the media questions after practice by saying it went well, than his actual performance. I wonder if he actually thinks it went well or felt like that was what he should say and didn't realize his comments would be judged harshly. In his mind, there are probably a lot of things that did go well that the fans don't see. Marrone thought the O sucked, but he may agree with EJ on the things he did right and that was what he was focused on. I don't for a second believe that EJ doesn't know and believe they have a ton of work to do and a long way to go.

It seems like some are taking exception more with how EJ handled the media questions after practice by saying it went well, than his actual performance. I wonder if he actually thinks it went well or felt like that was what he should say and didn't realize his comments would be judged harshly. In his mind, there are probably a lot of things that did go well that the fans don't see. Marrone thought the O sucked, but he may agree with EJ on the things he did right and that was what he was focused on. I don't for a second believe that EJ doesn't know and believe they have a ton of work to do and a long way to go.

I suppose, but I believe that to be much ado about nothing. I think he is so programmed to attempt to project positivity that in some cases such as this, it comes across as slightly tone deaf. Let's see where he is a couple weeks from now.

Edited by Magox

I think Twitter has very much blurred this distinction for reporters. In fact, unless I see a link to an article (AP for jw, BN for Gaughan, etc.) I assume it to be their personal opinion. Which is fine with me. Some "reporters" write opinion pieces for their employers anyway, and are paid for these opinions and "clicks" they receive in social media. But for those who are expected to be objective for their employers I believe their tweets are their own viewpoints. If you look at the twitter profiles of most media, it says something to the effect of "The opinions expressed in this account are my own and not those of WGR/ESPN/etc." This is also to protect the employer.

Good thoughts!!! Thank yo

ay Skurski@JaySkurski 19s

BN Blitz: Day Three -- Doug Marrone, EJ Manuel on different page after first padded practice http://bills.buffalo...ctice/ … via @TheBuffaloNews

BTW, after reading the full quotes, EJ didn't say he did great. He said "WE had a good day." He was probably thinking about how Hughes was sitting on top of him all day and didn't want to throw anyone under the bus. He just sounded like he was staying positive as it was just the 1st practice in pads.

BTW, after reading the full quotes, EJ didn't say he did great. He said "WE had a good day." He was probably thinking about how Hughes was sitting on top of him all day and didn't want to throw anyone under the bus. He just sounded like he was staying positive as it was just the 1st practice in pads.

im with this. EJ is not stupid and knows his limitations. He knows which days he does well and which ones he needs more work. Chances are he's playing nice for the camera. I'm going to bet as soon as he left the interview he went right back to work in the tape portion to see what he didn't wrong and how to fix it. No different than probably 90% of QBs in this league.

And if he is clueless, Marrone will make sure he knows what he's got to fix.

That's the way I read it.

But, I'm not paid to have opinions and report the news, so I'll just assume I'm wrong.

I can just imagine the drama fest if EJ was honest (or any player, for that matter).

"I have 1.2 seconds to throw, this OL stinks. My WRs can't catch, other than the rookie. I'm not very confident in my WRs, which doesn't help when added to my mediocre deep field accuracy"

Is the media trying to create the impression of a rift between Marrone and Manuel because they disagree on how the practice went? Is the media trying to create the story that EJ is either clueless or not being honest? Seems like there's an angle being played here.

GO BILLS!!!

I read it that way as well.

Of course I don't see the full transcript of the question asked, is it possible the question was "You guys looked pretty bad out there, how do you think the offense preformed today?"

It seems the way he answered that it was a general question, like the person asking didn't ask specifically about EJ's own performance.

But anything to create drama...

I read it that way as well.

Of course I don't see the full transcript of the question asked, is it possible the question was "You guys looked pretty bad out there, how do you think the offense preformed today?"

It seems the way he answered that it was a general question, like the person asking didn't ask specifically about EJ's own performance.

But anything to create drama...

It did sound like he was referring to the offense as a whole. He could have just meant that considering it was the 1st day in pads, and he is missing his LT, it went well toward building toward the next practice.

JW writes for the AP. He is strictly, and literally a reporter. His job is to do straight observation and reporting, with no opinions (although it's inevitable that some will creep in). He's very good at it. He also tweets, and that could be considered his opinion, but he's still pretty observational.

Because it's the AP, it's is a little different job than a Buffalo News reporter like Mark Gaughn who is not supposed to provide much of an opinion, and a VERY different job from what Tim Graham and especially Jerry Sullivan are supposed to do for the News, who are specifically paid to provide their opinion.

Or his answer could have been along the lines of what the coach said, "Yes it was the first day in pads and everyone was a bit rusty. There's still plenty of time to work out the kinks and we use every day as the learning experience. We should look better as the summer wears on."

But when he already has a testy relationship with the local press, coming out and saying that the offense looked fine, when from all other accounts, it did not - was not the right thing to say.

It did sound like he was referring to the offense as a whole. He could have just meant that considering it was the 1st day in pads, and he is missing his LT, it went well toward building toward the next practice.

He did go onto say that there was some miscommunications, etc... so he admitted it needs to get better, and the younger players are just learning.

I just don't see the need to jump on Manual about his perception of reality. Also, I don't get jumping on him for him not admitting his day wasn't his best, when it seems like the question wasn't directed at his specific performance.

But what do I know, apparently I thought JP was good, if you believe some people.

Or his answer could have been along the lines of what the coach said, "Yes it was the first day in pads and everyone was a bit rusty. There's still plenty of time to work out the kinks and we use every day as the learning experience. We should look better as the summer wears on."

But when he already has a testy relationship with the local press, coming out and saying that the offense looked fine, when from all other accounts, it did not - was not the right thing to say.

He did.

"I try to treat practice like a game and I think the rest of the team does. So if you have a miscommunication, like I said, we’re still putting new players in the thing, so if a guy didn’t get a signal or if he forgets what he has on a certain route, just move on to the next one. Try not to let one mistake become two."

Yeah, EJ is seemingly a very good guy, and leader, and face of the franchise. I have been very happy with him in those respects so far in his career, which has zero to do with what happens on the field. The one thing he does NOT do well, and it's both glaring and a potentially serious issue, is take responsibility for poor play or a poor practice. Which is why he has a somewhat testy relationship with some of the press.

Partly, I am sure, it is part of his coaching and his personality, to not dwell on mistakes and always have a positive attitude, as well as not publicly throw teammates (or yourself) under the bus. But surely, that does not mean you take no responsibility, and that you cannot admit when a practice is bad. Most all witnesses seem to think he had a poor day relatively. He needs to admit that to some degree.

To me, there was a serious worry when I read a quote EJ said recently about Dowling the new QB coach. He specially said he loves the fact his coach doesn't dwell on bad plays and is always positive. Well you need to dwell a little on bad plays and learn from them, not just immediately ignore them. It's a delicate balance, and surely confidence is a quintessential attribute you need in your starting QB. But that doesn't mean you just ignore or deny poor play when it happens.

EJ has a little growing up to do in that department, IMO.

I thought that was just Graham. I don't follow him on Twitter, so don't know if he was there.

Someone tell EJ to get out of the film room and go roll up a 20 in da club and pound some Ace of Spades. That will make everyone love you and buy your jersey and want you to start.

Yeah, EJ is seemingly a very good guy, and leader, and face of the franchise. I have been very happy with him in those respects so far in his career, which has zero to do with what happens on the field. The one thing he does NOT do well, and it's both glaring and a potentially serious issue, is take responsibility for poor play or a poor practice. Which is why he has a somewhat testy relationship with some of the press.

Partly, I am sure, it is part of his coaching and his personality, to not dwell on mistakes and always have a positive attitude, as well as not publicly throw teammates (or yourself) under the bus. But surely, that does not mean you take no responsibility, and that you cannot admit when a practice is bad. Most all witnesses seem to think he had a poor day relatively. He needs to admit that to some degree.

To me, there was a serious worry when I read a quote EJ said recently about Dowling the new QB coach. He specially said he loves the fact his coach doesn't dwell on bad plays and is always positive. Well you need to dwell a little on bad plays and learn from them, not just immediately ignore them. It's a delicate balance, and surely confidence is a quintessential attribute you need in your starting QB. But that doesn't mean you just ignore or deny poor play when it happens.

EJ has a little growing up to do in that department, IMO.

are we in deep doo doo if he actually believes he had a good practice and didn't?

As someone observing from the outside, without hearing any of the real comments being made by players and coaches, literally with no real idea of what's happening behind the scenes, I say EJ has to grow up and do better!

Or maybe I'll just wait a few days (maybe even weeks!?!) to make that call...

Love the early season :D

Chris Brown@ChrisBrownBills 24s

Marrone: Hopkins a kickoff specialist http://wp.me/plmrg-ahk

Chris Brown@ChrisBrownBills 49s

Allow me to re-state. Hopkins is a kickoff specialist only.

Jay Skurski@JaySkurski 34s

At kicker, Marrone says Dustin Hopkins will have to play his way onto the roster as a kickoff specialist, so Dan Carpenter won't be pushed.

Ok, but why?

If Carpenter is the starter, fine. But why not let Hopkins at least try some FG kicks in training camp? What is the harm?

I'm not understanding this move.

Everybody has to chill out with the whole EJ thing. Right now, he is the NFL whipping boy for the woeful Bills...his fault the trade up in the draft was too much...his fault he checked down too much...his fault he got hurt too much..etc.. Maybe, the trade up in the draft will be one sided for the Bills...maybe, he has to check down because our WR's couldn't get open enough...maybe, he got hurt running because protection broke down and he had to run.

Is he any worse than Sam Bradford? No, yet the Rams can have hope and the Bills should have drafted a QB. The Bills have hitched their wagon to EJ - lets see where it goes. Can't wait for him to prove everyone wrong...