Training Camp 2014...Tweets from all sources, Week 1

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

let's hear what Doug Whaley had to say before camp opened when discussing EJ:

"By the time we leave training camp, you should see a guy that's standing tall in the huddle and quick and decisive with his decision-making."

that's all well and good, and also an indication of qualities EJ currently doesn't possess on a day-to-day basis.

no one said that about Kelly, or Brady or Rivers or Brees, as far as I know. Flutie, neither.

jw

I don't get the harping on this narrative by you and Tim. EJ Manuel was a "project" QB when he was drafted and this only being his second NFL training camp he obviously still is a "project" QB. So until he makes his mark on the field in actual NFL games, there's no magic moment of him "standing tall in the huddle". I even think that Doug Whaley's statement was totally ridiculous since it expects other NFL players on the team to look at him in that way during training camp practice sessions. It's total BS. Nothing Manuel does in practice or says in an interview afterwards is truly meaningful in regards to his QB stature in the huddle. In the NFL, your "huddle" stature is determined in real NFL games.

BTW Eli Manning and Joe Flacco have different temperaments than the intense personalities of the QBs you had mentioned, yet they were still able to win superbowls for their teams. Has Eli Manning ever said anything negative during interviews? I seriously don't recall if he's ever done so. It's a long training camp and this microscopic nitpicking of Manuel's temperament is starting to get stale IMO.

I don't get the harping on this narrative by you and Tim. EJ Manuel was a "project" QB when he was drafted and this only being his second NFL training camp he obviously still is a "project" QB. So until he makes his mark on the field in actual NFL games, there's no magic moment of him "standing tall in the huddle". I even think that Doug Whaley's statement was totally ridiculous since it expects other NFL players on the team to look at him in that way during training camp practice sessions. It's total BS. Nothing Manuel does in practice or says in an interview afterwards is truly meaningful in regards to his QB stature in the huddle. In the NFL, your "huddle" stature is determined in real NFL games.

BTW Eli Manning and Joe Flacco have different temperaments than the intense personalities of the QBs you had mentioned, yet they were still able to win superbowls for their teams. Has Eli Manning ever said anything negative during interviews? I seriously don't recall if he's ever done so. It's a long training camp and this microscopic nitpicking of Manuel's temperament is starting to get stale IMO.

It's the nature of the beast... You will have a large contingent of homers, a large contingent of skeptics and a small group that are realists...

I've come to grips with this idea after last season. Knowing this franchise the past 14 years, EJ will suck and the Bills will be screwed out of getting themselves a QB in next years draft because of the Watkins trade. As for his comments yesterday, I don't like them. Anyone who's played a sport knows when they've sucked or had a bad day and if they are a competitor it pisses them off extremely, to the point where its all they think about. For Manuel to say those things yesterday has me very confused and worried. If he sucked and the offense sucked it should piss him off, not drive him to excuses. Not the right thing to do at all.

Maybe he is pissed off. How do you know he's not? Because he's being nice and polite to reporters? Maybe he trashed his dorm room last night after practice. Let's wait until the games start before we bury this guy. We do not know how's he's going to turn out. He played poorly at time last year but also did some good things and he is only in his 2nd year.

John Wawrow,

I just want to say thanks and kudos for being a part of this message board. I'm sure in this new age of media it isn't easy to not only report on topics, but to have to consistently defend your reporting. You have observations and opinions and so do fans. Sometimes they agree and sometimes they don't. Yet you don't shy away from it. You step into this jungle knowing you can be pounced on for any phrase or statement. Bold move sir. (and IMHO you handle it better than Tim G.)

So thanks and keep up the good work.

John Wawrow,

I just want to say thanks and kudos for being a part of this message board. I'm sure in this new age of media it isn't easy to not only report on topics, but to have to consistently defend your reporting. You have observations and opinions and so do fans. Sometimes they agree and sometimes they don't. Yet you don't shy away from it. You step into this jungle knowing you can be pounced on for any phrase or statement. Bold move sir. (and IMHO you handle it better than Tim G.)

I agree with the above.

I might not always agree with opinions written, but I always appreciate that JW is here participating.

John Wawrow,

Absolutely.