Training Camp 2014...Tweets from all sources, Week 1

everything will even out when the 3rd string RB gashes the starting defense up the middle for 11 yards every play

I like that idea. A lot of people are so fixated on EJ, which is understandable, but they seem to be overlooking at how strong our running game will be.

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like that idea. A lot of people are so fixated on EJ, which is understandable, but they seem to be overlooking at how strong our running game will be.

Certainly. In a real game situation we will be pounding the rock so hard it will open up so much in the passing game. Theoretically.

Certainly. In a real game situation we will be pounding the rock so hard it will open up so much in the passing game. Theoretically.

Wasn't that the theory last year to help out the rookie QB?

Wasn't that the theory last year to help out the rookie QB?

It may well have worked if the rookie QB didn't get hurt three times, the back-up to the back-up get hurt, the two main RBs supposed to do all the running didn't get hurt, and three WRs and three OGs didn't get hurt.

P NFL@AP_NFL 6m

Bills QB EJ Manuel, coach differ on offense's performance http://apne.ws/1o6Lxz9 #NFL

I think too much is being made of EJ's quotes that it was a "good" day. He's still essentially a rookie in terms of games and practice time, and his personality is generally positive and optimistic. Perhaps he simply means he got "good" work in today; that's all I took from it.

Dude just needs more and more reps.

It may well have worked if the rookie QB didn't get hurt three times, the back-up to the back-up get hurt, the two main RBs supposed to do all the running didn't get hurt, and three WRs and three OGs didn't get hurt.

That may very well be the case again this year. Why should we expect that not to happen, given our recent (and not-so-recent) troubles with injuries?

I kinda meant that as a tongue in cheek jab at our run defense. My god, you guys are SO positive.

I think too much is being made of EJ's quotes that it was a "good" day. He's still essentially a rookie in terms of games and practice time, and his personality is generally positive and optimistic. Perhaps he simply means he got "good" work in today; that's all I took from it.

Dude just needs more and more reps.

I agree and isn't the timing between the QB and the WRs one of the things that takes time. First day in pads, third practice, two new WRs and it wasn't good? Not very surprising.

I think Twitter has very much blurred this distinction for reporters. In fact, unless I see a link to an article (AP for jw, BN for Gaughan, etc.) I assume it to be their personal opinion. Which is fine with me. Some "reporters" write opinion pieces for their employers anyway, and are paid for these opinions and "clicks" they receive in social media. But for those who are expected to be objective for their employers I believe their tweets are their own viewpoints. If you look at the twitter profiles of most media, it says something to the effect of "The opinions expressed in this account are my own and not those of WGR/ESPN/etc." This is also to protect the employer.

Ah... that was an epic thread.

John Wawrow@john_wawrow 1m

It would be one thing if I was the only one suggesting EJ struggled. Turns out only one saying EJ didn't struggle is, well, EJ. #BillsCamp

I should have elaborated. Warrow jumped in defended Tim in that EJ vs graham thread and suggested EJ brought the whole thing on homself.

I figure everyone would have remembered so I didn't elaborate.

That may very well be the case again this year. Why should we expect that not to happen, given our recent (and not-so-recent) troubles with injuries?

Even though we appear to be cursed, and we seem to get an inordinate amount of injuries, last year was insane and we cannot expect that to happen again. Our starting QB was gone for the entire season. Our back-up was hurt three times. Our #3 was hurt. Our top RB was hurt early was played hurt the entire season. Our #2 RB got hurt twice. Our TE played hurt the entire season. Our top WR played hurt the entire season and missed time. Our #2 got hurt. Our #4 (Goodwin, who was our third best) got hurt and lost for the season. Three OGs got hurt. One starting OT was gone for the entire season.

That is not common and there is no way it happens again.

Even though we appear to be cursed, and we seem to get an inordinate amount of injuries, last year was insane and we cannot expect that to happen again. Our starting QB was gone for the entire season. Our back-up was hurt three times. Our #3 was hurt. Our top RB was hurt early was played hurt the entire season. Our #2 RB got hurt twice. Our TE played hurt the entire season. Our top WR played hurt the entire season and missed time. Our #2 got hurt. Our #4 (Goodwin, who was our third best) got hurt and lost for the season. Three OGs got hurt. One starting OT was gone for the entire season.

That is not common and there is no way it happens again.

Oh you mean like when Green Bay won the Super Bowl the year they set the NFL record for players on IR?

Other teams have plenty of injuries too, can't use it as an excuse

need to chime in here. i don't have it in for EJ. i just don't see a polished quarterback or, for that matter, a lot of improvement from last year.

he still misses short throws over the middle. he still seems to hold the ball for way too long. some of the nice throws he's made in camp have been against air. and, give me some credit, i asked questions today about EJ's performance to back up what i saw.

EJ called it a "good day."

Marrone didn't. And he expressed concern over EJ tucking the ball and scrambling during 7-on-7 drills.

does it mean EJ won't get better as camp progresses? no.

but, i had much of the exact same concerns a year ago. even after the Indy game when some tabbed EJ as having shown signs of arrival. and i got rapped for the mere suggesting that I would have preferred EJ led the touchdown drive against the Colts starters and not the second-stringers late in the second quarter.

i don't base this on subjectivity. i base my observations on what i've seen. and i must admit, i think i've watched all but 5 or 6 of Bills practices and minicamps that are open to the media since EJ was drafted. i'm not sure i'm seeing a lot of progression here.

my two cents.

jw

Oh you mean like when Green Bay won the Super Bowl the year they set the NFL record for players on IR?

Were Rogers, Matthews and Jennings on the IR. Only names I saw of value were Grant and Finley.

I know injures aren't a good excuse but they are still relevant.

I should have elaborated. Warrow jumped in defended Tim in that EJ vs graham thread and suggested EJ brought the whole thing on homself.

I figure everyone would have remembered so I didn't elaborate.

And that was the point I lost most of the respect I had developed for Wawrow

If Green Bay lost their first two QBs and top two RBs and top WR they do not sniff the playoffs let alone Super Bowl.

need to chime in here. i don't have it in for EJ. i just don't see a polished quarterback or, for that matter, a lot of improvement from last year.

he still misses short throws over the middle. he still seems to hold the ball for way too long. some of the nice throws he's made in camp have been against air. and, give me some credit, i asked questions today about EJ's performance to back up what i saw.

Marrone didn't. And he expressed concern over EJ tucking the ball and scrambling during 7-on-7 drills.

but, i had much of the exact same concerns a year ago. even after the Indy game when some tabbed EJ as having shown signs of arrival. and i got rapped for the mere suggesting that I would have preferred EJ led the touchdown drive against the Colts starters and not the second-stringers late in the second quarter.

i don't base this on subjectivity. i base my observations on what i've seen. and i must admit, i think i've watched all but 5 or 6 of Bills practices and minicamps that are open to the media since EJ was drafted. i'm not sure i'm seeing a lot of progression here.

my two cents.

jw

jw, do you disagree with my take elaborated above?

If Green Bay lost their first two QBs and top two RBs and top WR they do not sniff the playoffs let alone Super Bowl.

Well, they did sniff playoffs last year with a Bills castoff as a QB ... :)

my two cents.

jw

Thanks for chiming in... I see a little improvement, and EJ has always seemed like a gamer to me, hopefully the light comes on