What is better, no guns, or more guns?

4 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

What's your proposal for a mental red flag law

Oh, I’m not the one saying that our gun violence is a result of mental illness. That’s only a small part of it. The real problem is the easy access to guns. 

If you believe it’s just because of the mentally ill, what do YOU propose to do about it?

2 hours ago, ChiGoose said:

So here’s a fun fact: Illinois does not enforce the law in Indiana. If Indiana has no problem with sales of guns that are legal at the time later being used in crimes outside of the state, there isn’t an ton Illinois can do.

Fun fact.  Texas and the U.S. do not enforce drug or gun policy in Mexico. 

We don’t even enforce border policies with Mexico.  Just come on in.  And vote early and often.  

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ChiGoose said:

Oh, I’m not the one saying that our gun violence is a result of mental illness. That’s only a small part of it. The real problem is the easy access to guns. 

If you believe it’s just because of the mentally ill, what do YOU propose to do about it?

I'd like to shift govt expenditures at both the federal and state level to address mental health. From what? Oh, let me count the ways. Federal Dept of Education for starters. You with me?

Just now, redtail hawk said:

Totally different question.  I'm replying to your partisan incorrect point on mental health.  But sure, I'd cut all the middle men from healthcare and if need be, raise taxes.

I said shift. What's your priority. This isn't a game.

7 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

I'd like to shift govt expenditures at both the federal and state level to address mental health. From what? Oh, let me count the ways. Federal Dept of Education for starters. You with me?

You seem to be under the mistaken  impression that I believe that myth that our gun violence is driven by mental illness.

It’s not. It’s the ease of access to guns.  

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

Just now, ChiGoose said:

You seem to be under the mistaken  impression that I believe that myth that our gun violence is driven by mental illness.

And all the ideas the left talking of doesnt do anything .  Ban assault riffles?  Ok.  Focus on the outlier and really doesn't do anything. 

1 minute ago, Chris farley said:

And all the ideas the left talking of doesnt do anything .  Ban assault riffles?  Ok.  Focus on the outlier and really doesn't do anything. 

Banning assault rifles will do little to curb the violence. 

But it’s still better than the GOP plan to increase gun deaths. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Let’s hear it… still waiting for those common sense gun law proposals that address the majority of shootings in the country. 

why do they necessarily need to address the majority.  If a law stopped any mass shootings wouldn't that be good?  How many stopped are enough?

6 hours ago, ChiGoose said:

So here’s a fun fact: Illinois does not enforce the law in Indiana. If Indiana has no problem with sales of guns that are legal at the time later being used in crimes outside of the state, there isn’t an ton Illinois can do.

I agree we should focus far more on handguns. But the GOP doesn’t actually care about people being killed by guns and the Dems are mostly activated by mass shootings which disproportionately involve long guns. 

There’s no panacea that will fix this. No single policy that will stop these shootings. But by enacting a variety of measures, you can start to reduce the deaths.

Or you can just oppose any action, propose nothing and be totally ok with kids getting their faces blown off.

Whatever floats your boat, buddy. 

Like.  Cause all I hear is either repeal the second, ban ar 15, or some crazy crap about insurance and social media history .  Nothing concrete.

But like I said.  People love to talk other countries bans.  But they all have permit systems and huge penalties for not being licensed. 

3 hours ago, ChiGoose said:

Banning assault rifles will do little to curb the violence. 

But it’s still better than the GOP plan to increase gun deaths. 

It won't do anything but be pr.  Where did this mass shooter get his?  The other one in Texas?   Cause that will just be the new narrative as they won't attempt legal buys like some have. 

Still blows my mind we have half a million nicks check denials. Never read about the follow up 

3 hours ago, redtail hawk said:

why do they necessarily need to address the majority.  If a law stopped any mass shootings wouldn't that be good?  How many stopped are enough?

Where are the common sense gun laws?  Like details?  

3 hours ago, redtail hawk said:

The majority of mass shootings by a long shot are with handguns. 

Sure. Do it.  Pr.  Wouldn't of done anything about this one, the last one or the majority in cities 

Edited by Chris farley
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Roundybout said:

Given that the majority of the country supports some kind of gun control, at minimum, we shouldn’t have any issues crafting some policy. 

Yes, generically speaking, they do.

So what’s your answer?   

It’s easy to get positive buy in with vague sentiment… much more difficult to make actual substantive change.

Theres a reason Dems don’t push “too” hard on gun control … it’s a lot of what you’re doing… vague nonsense… because that polls well. “Do Something!!!” polls well …. Actually taking away law abiding citizens guns… not so much. 

• Like (+1) 2

Also.  Policing legal system needs to stop assigning resources based off if a civilian was the victim. Or NCS.  Almost giving the bangers free will to shoot at each other. 

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Yes, generically speaking, they do.

So what’s your answer?   

It’s easy to get positive buy in with vague sentiment… much more difficult to make actual substantive change.

Theres a reason Dems don’t push “too” hard on gun control … it’s a lot of what you’re doing… vague nonsense… because that polls well. “Do Something!!!” polls well …. Actually taking away law abiding citizens guns… not so much. 

Up here in NY no da will use the new gun laws as they don't want their names being on the docket that the court strikes down. 

1 hour ago, Roundybout said:

Yes but they won’t have weapons that can kill 30 people in five minutes. 

Yawn. We’re still taking your AR-15 away. 

Your poll is also a pretty bit outlier per the 538 averages. https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/president-general/2024/national/

Both are about guns. The other guy went off about trans people, AKA the Republicans’ topic of the month. 

A semi long gun and semi short gun fire the same amount.  Just saying   actually even the same as a revolver.  

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

my priority is universal health care.  It can be funded.  It is in almost every other 1st world nation...

Im glad youre willing to shift budget to get there. Perhaps weve arrived at a compromise.

26 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

I think the capacity to take an innocent life is mental illness.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Ok what law stops mass shooting? 

None.

They are already laws in place.

and completely disarming the populace will never happen.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

banning semi automatic weapons would help reduce the number of deaths

You do realize that the vast majority of gun owners, do in fact, own semi-automatics, correct?

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Roundybout said:

Most likely a tiny population and quality mental healthcare available to everyone. You know, the thing that Republicans keep cutting? 

Your point that republican politicians suck is not news to me, the solution is often outside politicians hands and those that claim they can fix it usually are lying. The solution is multilayered but it starts by actually dealing with mental illness and putting criminals in jail. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, redtail hawk said:

yes, why?  for what purpose do they need a gun that does dime in, cash register out?

Go for it.  

The Democratic Party would cease to exist. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, redtail hawk said:

for what reason?  revolt against f16's?

Do you have any idea how many independents and moderate Dems… let alone left leaning Dems own semi-automatic handguns?

The issue would energize Republicans FAR more than Roe energized Dems, and you’d lose independents and moderate Dems who would not be, at all, interested in turning over the semi-automatic handguns they own to keep their families safe to the government.  

Please try this… as someone who wants the modern Dem Party to be completely eradicated in its ideology, DO IT. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Do you have any idea how many independents and moderate Dems… let alone left leaning Dems own semi-automatic handguns?

The issue would energize Republicans FAR more than Roe energized Dems, and you’d lose independents and moderate Dems who would not be, at all, interested in turning over the semi-automatic handguns they own to keep their families safe to the government.  

Please try this… as someone who wants the modern Dem Party to be completely eradicated in its ideology, DO IT. 

good luck with that....now the Republican party as it exists now is a totally different story.  30% dumb asses is not a winning coalition.

Edited by redtail hawk

4 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

good luck with that....now the Republican party as it exists now is a totally different story.  30% dumb asses is not a winning coalition.

I’ll take your random changing of the subject to mean you finally concede defeat in your nonsensical assertion that we should take away semi-automatic handguns from the hands of millions and millions of Americans across the entire political spectrum. 

Republicans do need to address who their constituency is.  

It should be focused on:

-White men

-White married women

-Hispanics

-Black men

-Asian/Indian populations 

Win white men at the overwhelming clip they currently do. 

Expand upon their majority clip on married white women. 

Pull even to, and then eventually win Hispanics.  Trends look good for R’s here. 

Eat away at the Dem lead with black men.  See, Brian Kemp vs Stacey Abrams in Georgia as a template. 

As Dems push ideas such as equity, reparations etc., focus on groups you should be winning, but aren’t due to tribalistic voting patterns.  Asians and Indians are successful, education focused groups.  They will not take kindly to the erasure of a merit based economy and/or educational system.  

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

banning semi automatic weapons would help reduce the number of deaths

ok… Why hasn’t your party pursued this? They had all three houses and failed to put anything in my on The table. 

What about at the state level… why not in the blue states at least? 

Why not have all of your brethren in the d party surrender all of your guns? I’d think that would lead to a meaningful crime reduction.  Even if those gun nut republicans don’t play along It’s more than half the country? 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

They will not take kindly to the erasure of a merit based economy and/or educational system.

Who says that's what we want?  Not me, certainly.  Not many D's that I know (but of course, most were formerly R's)- there are many of us.  We don't take well to moronic wanna be dictators or their cult followers nor do we want any association with them.  They are an embarrassment to the country.  Sad state of affairs...

Edited by redtail hawk