What is better, no guns, or more guns?

11 minutes ago, B-Man said:

I guess Goose missed posting this one.

All those gun-restriction laws and all.

Chicago shootings: At least 27 shot, 5 fatally, in weekend gun violence across city, police say
ABC News Local ^ | May 1, 2023 | By Sun-Times Media Wire

CHICAGO -- At least 27 people have been shot, five fatally, in gun violence across Chicago this weekend, police said.

A 16-year-old boy was fatally shot Sunday morning in Douglas. Responding officers found Darrien Dallen with a gunshot wound to the chest about 9:10 a.m. in the 3700-block of South Michigan Avenue, according to Chicago police and the Cook County medical examiner's office. He was taken to Comer Children's Hospital, where he died.

At least three other teens were wounded, including a 15-year-old boy in New City and a 16-year-old boy in Roseland.

The younger boy was shot near the groin about 8 p.m. Sunday while in the 1900-block of West 47th Street and was hospitalized in fair condition, police said.

The 16-year-old boy was in the 100-block of West 92nd Street about 11:10 p.m. Saturday when someone in a black sedan fired shots, striking him in the arm, police said. He was taken in good condition to Little Company of Mary Hospital in Oak Lawn.

Two men were fatally shot in separate attacks Saturday in Austin on the West Side. Around 12:30 a.m., a man, 39, was found on the ground in the 4900-block of West Hubbard Street with a gunshot wound to the torso. He was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital, where he died, police said. About 12 hours later, a 32-year-old man was outside in the 5200 block of West Adams Street when four people stepped out of a gray sedan and at least one of them opened fire, striking him multiple times. He was taken to the same hospital, where he died, according to police.

Last weekend, at least 20 people were shot, one fatally, across the city.

https://abc7chicago.com/shootings-in-chicago-this-weekend-today-austin-shooting/13200388/

Ready to hear about the common sense gun laws that stop this. What are they? 

• Thank you (+1) 3

32 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

Vast knowledge my ass. I didn’t ask for your life story and I don’t give a f—k. How many times do I have to say that 

You also don't care about the difference between a gang shooting/drug deal gone bad and real mass shooting. You don't care how the FBI defines mass shooters. You only care about what the anti-gun lobby, liberals and media tell you. That's your source of information. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

As the worlds foremost expert on firearms and shooting (resume available on request), I care very much about how FBI teams are studying them.

I am actually pleased that the lobbyists arent blocking this research but maybe they aren't in this instance because of their careful verbiage to not upset people like you

The FBI knows there's a difference in shootings. You don't. Those are the facts. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Ready to hear about the common sense gun laws that stop this. What are they? 

Well considering most of the guns that are used in crimes in Chicago come from out of state, it tells us two things:

1. The tighter gun laws in Chicago and Illinois make it difficult for criminals to get guns here.

2. If our neighboring states enacted tighter gun laws like ours, it would be even more difficult for criminals to get guns and reduce the number of gun crimes here. 

A single Indiana gun store sold 850 guns recovered from crime scenes in Chicago

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, ChiGoose said:

Well considering most of the guns that are used in crimes in Chicago come from out of state, it tells us two things:

1. The tighter gun laws in Chicago and Illinois make it difficult for criminals to get guns here.

2. If our neighboring states enacted tighter gun laws like ours, it would be even more difficult for criminals to get guns and reduce the number of gun crimes here. 

How many of these illegal gun users were put in jail? Who cares where they come from if they are never punished once obtained.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, AlBUNDY4TDS said:

How many of these illegal gun users were put in jail? Who cares where they come from if they are never punished once obtained.

1. It obviously matters where the guns come from. If you can stop them from coming in, you can reduce gun homicides

2. CPD’s clearance rate is pretty bad. Usually below 50% most years.

3. Stronger sentences are not much of a deterrent. If some kid is at the point where he has a gun and is about to pull the trigger, he’s not thinking if that means 25 years or more in jail.

4. If we do not also look at the root causes of crime, we’re not going to get anywhere. Making it harder for criminals to get guns is just one step. 

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

1. It obviously matters where the guns come from. If you can stop them from coming in, you can reduce gun homicides

3. Stronger sentences are not much of a deterrent. If some kid is at the point where he has a gun and is about to pull the trigger, he’s not thinking if that means 25 years or more in jail.

4. If we do not also look at the root causes of crime, we’re not going to get anywhere. Making it harder for criminals to get guns is just one step. 

I agree with you 10,000% 

And I don't think anyone would disagree that we need to keep firearms out of these people's hands. As for the issue, crime. Goes back to single parent homes +  socioeconomics issues + intercity = major major cause.  

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

Two points you have a point with but I  think you are looking at wrong- the fact that one Indiana store has provided guns that so many criminals have but somehow the straw buyers are not arrested is a huge issue. That will solve the access problem quickly if you arrest the straw men. Secondly the men being in jail a long time is more about them being off the street for that time period, not a deterrent to not do the crime. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

I agree with you 10,000% 

And I don't think anyone would disagree that we need to keep firearms out of these people's hands. As for the issue, crime. Goes back to single parent homes +  socioeconomics issues + intercity = major major cause.  

Right, if we don’t get rid of the incentives that drive people to crime, no amount of “tough on crime” policies are going to fix the problem.

You cannot expect that treating the symptoms will fix the underlying causes. 

So while it’s important to get criminals off the street, that’s not going to do anything to stop the next person from committing crimes. 

2 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

Right, if we don’t get rid of the incentives that drive people to crime, no amount of “tough on crime” policies are going to fix the problem.

So while it’s important to get criminals off the street, that’s not going to do anything to stop the next person from committing crimes. 

It stops that violent criminal from making another victim.  

right now inflation is driving DADS and MOMS to get a second job, so again one less parent at the home.

but more money to skate parks and green spaces.

IF the problem is single parents, what do you do about the fact the entire welfare system penalizes marriage or a two-parent household?  And in turn is promoting Single family homes through financial means that are way more than any reported income would make up for.

Or the kid that sees bangers with way more money, women, clothing than the stiff taking the bus to the 3-hour shift at a gas station.

At the very least removing the predators from the streets gives the rest a chance.  and coupled with the fact we throw money at poverty, A young person that wants to, has opportunities to get out.  but who explains that to them.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

We've got to fix the welfare system. Single parent homes and welfare are the main issue IMO. Once the safety net was put in place for low income homes, the single parent household percentage skyrocketed (from the 1960's to now). Before the welfare system was in place, in the mid-60's, families stayed together. We didn't have the crime rate we have now. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

We've got to fix the welfare system. Single parent homes and welfare are the main issue IMO. Once the safety net was put in place for low income homes, the single parent household percentage skyrocketed (from the 1960's to now). Before the welfare system was in place, in the mid-60's, families stayed together. We didn't have the crime rate we have now. 

the irony of the sixties… that era’s ‘progress’ led to unprecedented increases in crime, and perpetual poverty.

Just Like the irony that, the average age of violent criminals, in years, after the roe v wade decision crime peaked and then declined precipitously. 

Apparently children whose parents prefer not to have them or raise them tend to poverty and criminality

🤯 😯 😳 

10 hours ago, Chris farley said:

This is where the left just keeps posting outliers while ignoring the majority of gun violence/mass shootings that are gang related. 

Chris - this is a myth pushed by the gun lobby. The majority of gun homicides are not gang related. Do you have any recent data on this? The most recent data I can find is:

The total number of gang homicides reported by respondents in the NYGS sample averaged nearly 2,000 annually from 2007 to 2012. During roughly the same time period (2007 to 2011), the FBI estimated, on average, more than 15,500 homicides across the United States (www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/crime-in-the-u.s.-2011/tables/table-1). These estimates suggest that gang-related homicides typically accounted for around 13 percent of all homicides annually. https://nationalgangcenter.ojp.gov/survey-analysis/measuring-the-extent-of-gang-problems

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ChiGoose said:

11 hours ago, B-Man said:

I guess Goose missed posting this one.

All those gun-restriction laws and all.

Chicago shootings: At least 27 shot, 5 fatally, in weekend gun violence across city, police say
ABC News Local ^ | May 1, 2023 | By Sun-Times Media Wire

CHICAGO -- At least 27 people have been shot, five fatally, in gun violence across Chicago this weekend, police said.

A 16-year-old boy was fatally shot Sunday morning in Douglas. Responding officers found Darrien Dallen with a gunshot wound to the chest about 9:10 a.m. in the 3700-block of South Michigan Avenue, according to Chicago police and the Cook County medical examiner's office. He was taken to Comer Children's Hospital, where he died.

At least three other teens were wounded, including a 15-year-old boy in New City and a 16-year-old boy in Roseland.

The younger boy was shot near the groin about 8 p.m. Sunday while in the 1900-block of West 47th Street and was hospitalized in fair condition, police said.

The 16-year-old boy was in the 100-block of West 92nd Street about 11:10 p.m. Saturday when someone in a black sedan fired shots, striking him in the arm, police said. He was taken in good condition to Little Company of Mary Hospital in Oak Lawn.

Two men were fatally shot in separate attacks Saturday in Austin on the West Side. Around 12:30 a.m., a man, 39, was found on the ground in the 4900-block of West Hubbard Street with a gunshot wound to the torso. He was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital, where he died, police said. About 12 hours later, a 32-year-old man was outside in the 5200 block of West Adams Street when four people stepped out of a gray sedan and at least one of them opened fire, striking him multiple times. He was taken to the same hospital, where he died, according to police.

Last weekend, at least 20 people were shot, one fatally, across the city.

https://abc7chicago.com/shootings-in-chicago-this-weekend-today-austin-shooting/13200388/

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, B-Man said:

I agree. Too many people have easy access to guns. 

I’m glad you agree we should tighten gun laws to prevent bad actors from getting access to firearms. 

12 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

11 hours later… where are those common sense gun laws to stop kids from shooting kids with handguns in downtown Chicago?

Ban the banana clip? Is that the solution? 

I responded one hour after you asked the question but I guess that wasn’t convenient for your preferred political narrative so you have to pretend I didn’t say anything to continue to push your nonsense.

Edited by ChiGoose
  • Eyeroll 1

15 hours ago, SUNY_amherst said:

With the big brains God gave us, we ought to be able to work on two problems at once, right? (Parenting / easy access to guns)

This is way more of a cause than anything. Lack of parenting leads to leads to lack of education, juvenile delinquency which leads to crime as adults, leads to incrassation, leads to kids being raised w/o one parent or both parents and thus the cycle continues. I work at a high school and there is a direct correlation between single parent households, tardy/absenteeism, failing grades and then drop outs. 

I'm divorced (2005) but spent every possible moment with my girls (now 22 and almost 21). I raised them to respect themselves, don't let themselves be treated poorly by anyone... let alone men. I raised them both, even though my oldest was not interested at all, understanding how firearms functioned and how to be safe around them. My little one would get onto me when she saw me doing something unsafe with my weapon... "DAD! You forgot to put it on safe!". My nieces and nephew were raised the same way. I'll never forget when my nephew was 9, he called his dad and then me to say "UNCLE RYAN! John's dad isn't here and there is a gun by the TV!"

How we fix the issue of kids being raised poorly, that's the mystery. That's the key to helping improve our society IMO. 

13 hours ago, SUNY_amherst said:

Saw some report where a freakin college pitcher was in the bullpen and hit by a stray bullet from a shooting just outside the ballpark

Yea, I posted the link in the past page. 

It will be counted as a "school shooting". 

It shouldn't be because it wasn't. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

more life stories.... that I didn't ask for

It's the point dude. I'm trying to explain that you have to raise your children to respect firearms, understand firearm safety, etc. It will lower accidents, lower shootings. 

BTW: You can click IGNORE on my profile and skip my posts if that triggers you so much. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/1/2023 at 9:07 AM, ArdmoreRyno said:

Where, in the article, does it say he legally bought a firearm? It doesn't. 

Texas does not currently require background checks for firearms sold or traded at gun shows by private individuals or unlicensed vendors.

https://www.houstontx.gov/againstgunviolence/public/documents/86th-Session-Background-Checks-at-Gun-Shows.pdf

13 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

It's the point dude. I'm trying to explain that you have to raise your children to respect firearms, understand firearm safety, etc. It will lower accidents, lower shootings. 

BTW: You can click IGNORE on my profile and skip my posts if that triggers you so much. 

It wont, it needs the validation of a reply.

They cry about guns, but have no intention of doing anything by just parroting moronic talking points while ignoring/fostering the plague that's affecting our cities.

1 minute ago, ALF said:

Texas does not currently require background checks for firearms sold or traded at gun shows by private individuals or unlicensed vendors.

https://www.houstontx.gov/againstgunviolence/public/documents/86th-Session-Background-Checks-at-Gun-Shows.pdf

About time, even though there is no way to enforce it.

6 minutes ago, ALF said:

Here we go again. GUN SHOWS!!! THE DEVIL!!!! 

The gun show "loophole" myth is such a dead horse. Liberals LOVE to throw it around. 

Dude, THERE ARE NO FEDERAL LAWS that require anyone in ANY state to do background checks on privately sold firearms. There are some states like Cali, that require you to run to your local FFL, but you aren't going to force that. There is no magical "gun show" force field that throws out federal laws. It's bogus. It's a liberal scare tactic. 

I should be able to sell my Ruger 10/22 to my friend without having to drive 30 minutes to the local FFL to do a NICS and pay them $50 to file the paperwork? Should I have to do that when I bought my dad his first Big Boy Henry lever action .357 rifle? NO.  It's been like that since... well, forever. 

But all that said, let me ask... do you think this FIVE TIME deported illegal is going to run to "Gun Store USA" in Houston to run a 4473 background check before taking possession of the weapon he used? WILL ANY CRIMINAL?

5 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

If they aren't gonna require background checks for private sales then they should hold the sellers accountable when a violent crime occurs. There has got to be some accountability in this world. Why require retailers to follow the rules but no one else

Question: The guy in Texas who was deported FIVE TIMES and managed to make it back to the United States... was he going to go do a background check? Yes or no? 

And... how does anyone know that someone is going to buy a firearm from someone, then years later go nuts and use it against someone? Gun dealers, people, etc... aren't precogs. We can't predict the future. Can you? 

There are already laws in place where it makes straw purchases illegal. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SUNY_amherst said:

Why ask a question if you already know the answer? 

you are a weird dude

At least you can admit it. Making people do a background check for private sales will NOT prevent violent crime or gun deaths. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

Right but most private sellers aren't going to want to be criminals

C'mon SUNY - we can't HOLD anyone accountable when it comes to the cult.

They have an EXCUSE for everything.

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, SUNY_amherst said:

Right but most private sellers aren't going to want to be criminals

Is there a registry of all guns in the USA?   NO.

So how would anyone know when so and so sold or transferred one?  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SUNY_amherst said:

Good point, the lobbyists have fought tooth and nail against a registry for decades.

It's not gonna solve all our problems no doubt. But it would help making them liable in civil courts and people would certainly think twice about who they are selling to

The people don't want a registry.  Never have.

That would be a start. We all read about the daily shootings in the bad parts of most cities. but almost never read about the follow up arrest of the gun dealer.

in fact we hardly ever read about gun dealers being arrested..

28 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

I disagree on that.

I think a lot of people ignorantly assume there already is one. They watch these silly Law & Order shows where the cop hero recovers the weapon, searches for it in a database and arrests the criminal all in a 30 minute show.  And they assume that's how it works...

I think if you truly educated the American public on how it really is and if they wanted a registry the majority would absolutely be on board, many would be appalled at the current situation

and. Logistically, Still no way to make the register now.  you ever read about Canada registry and what happened?

The Firearms Act was created by Bill C-68, An Act Respecting Firearms and Other Weapons, which was introduced in 1993, and aimed at the licensing of all gun owners and registration of all firearms. The bill also classified replica firearms as prohibited devices, with those already owned being grandfathered. It was passed by Parliament and given Royal Assent in 1995. The Canadian Firearms Centre was established in 1996 to oversee the administration of its measures.[8]

The registration portion of the Firearms Act was implemented in 1995 and the deadline for gun owners to register their non-restricted firearms was January 1, 2003.[9] There is disagreement on the percentage of gun-owners who complied with the registry. The Law-Abiding Unregistered Firearms Association estimated that over 70% of all firearms in Canada were never registered

Handguns are registered, and I am all for Federal Concealed Carry Reciprocity based on what the majority of states use.  and very strong penalties for unlicensed concealed carry.

But for real. you ever notice we read about drug dealers, gun toting criminals in the media nonstop. but hardly ever an actual gun dealer.  goose talks about a pipeline. where are the arrest?

and many people hold strong views based on ignorance and headlines anymore.

Edited by Chris farley

1 hour ago, SUNY_amherst said:

I disagree on that.

I think a lot of people ignorantly assume there already is one. They watch these silly Law & Order shows where the cop hero recovers the weapon, searches for it in a database and arrests the criminal all in a 30 minute show.  And they assume that's how it works...

I think if you truly educated the American public on how it really is and if they wanted a registry the majority would absolutely be on board, many would be appalled at the current situation

Every FFL is required, by law, to file and keep their 4473 on site. If you go in to buy a firearm, you MUST fill that form out, which gets called into the FBI for your NICS background. Included in that paperwork is the make, model and serial number of the weapon you bought... if that's a firearm or a suppressor. They then file that paperwork. LEO can request to get access to those records via a judge. So there is a paper trail... somewhat.

And if you're for educating the public on firearms, let's really educate them. You see such high numbers against AR-15's because of a false narrative the media and left pushes. They want to "ban assault weapons" but they really don't know what that is, or how an AR actually functions. They know what the media and politicians want you to believe. I'm sick of hearing completely inaccurate information coming out of those groups who want to ban certain firearms, feeding into the public's fears of crime. 

No, Geraldo Rivera (Fox New), the AR-15 isn't full auto. No Gary Johnson, removing the "firing pin" doesn't make all guns full auto. No Kevin de León, milled guns (or any gun for that matter) doesn't have the  "ability with a 30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. 30 magazine clip within half a second." No Assemblywoman Patricia Eddington, bullets don't have heat seeking abilities. ETC - ETC - ETC. The public hears that BS and believes it. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

Well I've only shot firearms since I was 11, not 9 like you, so I might not be as refined of an expert (please no life stories), but there's a reason why every other application uses electronic records instead of paper these days and why firearm sales doesn't...

There is online forms for the 4473. Many large gun shops do it all online. Smaller shops use paper because it's cheaper. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

Well I've only shot firearms since I was 11, not 9 like you, so I might not be as refined of an expert (please no life stories), but there's a reason why every other application uses electronic records instead of paper these days and why firearm sales doesn't...

Most of the "bass pro shops" are mostly electronic.  Allmost all nicks checks are electronic now.  

Are you advocating for digitizing all future transactions?  And/or accessing/transferring the paper copies to electronic already in gun shops? 

Like looking up that gun you had at 11 (interesting story) at the point of sale?   

On 5/1/2023 at 11:40 AM, ChiGoose said:

I didn’t see your response it was filtered. But i unfiltered to view. I don’t have a narrative. I see another real topic with entrenched sides yelling at each other and no interest in solving anything. 

Hand guns are the overwhelming problem with gun violence. I think assault rifles are dumb, but 15-20 times more murders occur with handguns per FBI database. Murder by knife exceeds rifle. Sure there is a group of unreported but a responsible analyst assumes the same ratios. 

let’s focus on the hand gun problem that is ubiquitous first. 80/20 rule. 

ok, you believe criminals are legally buying guns in and adjacent state and then illegally transporting them into your state? Yes?  

is this one gun store an outlier and out of how many elsewhere acquired guns? 

what laws are specifically relaxed in Indiana? Age? License? Background check? Other? 

• Like (+1) 1