Former Jills suing the Bills

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With apologies to 89, and all the other sweet women who once were Jills, can we please move on?

I don't get how an activities club could sue a team for "wages" when every marching band and Drum and Bugle corps practices at least as much and does a lot more than a bunch of women in short skirts and pompoms. Where are their letters of employment? Were they under contract? What amount of federal, state, and local taxes did they pay from their "wages"? Did their "employer" contribute to Social Security and Medicare as all employers are required to? If I were the judge in this case, I'd want to know some facts around that.

Please, let us have seen the last of the "Buffalo Jills". Yech, what a mess!

Edited by Nanker

Tampa Bay Bucs pay big dollars to settle cheerleader lawsuit

The Buccaneers have confirmed that the team has paid $825,000 to settle a class action filed on behalf of 94 current and former employees of the squad. TMZ first reported the resolution, which will pay the lawyers $264,000 and the class members $561,000. That works out to an average of $5,968 per person.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/07/bucs-pay-big-dollars-to-settle-cheerleader-lawsuit/

(doesn't seem like big dollars to me).

Per cheerleader, no. But $264,000 to probably 1 lawyer who paid a couple paralegals to do the actual work, it's not bad coin.

With apologies to 89, and all the other sweet women who once were Jills, can we please move on?

I don't get how an activities club could sue a team for "wages" when every marching band and Drum and Bugle corps practices at least as much and does a lot more than a bunch of women in short skirts and pompoms. Where are their letters of employment? Were they under contract? What amount of federal, state, and local taxes did they pay from their "wages"? Did their "employer" contribute to Social Security and Medicare as all employers are required to? If I were the judge in this case, I'd want to know some facts around that.

I never knew 89 was a Jill. (searching for pictures of 89....)

Should just get rid of cheerleaders entirely.

No!

Let's get rid of baggy pants on women and tight @ pants on guys!!!! But get rid of cheerleaders.... That doesnt even makes sense to me. Like it doesnt register in my brain. Cells are trying to make the connection, but my brain doesnt allow it. You would have to lobotimize me so my brain can process this!!!!

+1. It's so childish and ridiculous. Time to grow up Peaked in High School Cheerleaders.

Dude throwing darts in a bar is childish. But I do it anyway.

• 1 month later...

My opinion on this varies.

1) First off, let's not act like they bring no value at all. They're attractive and they're nice to look at in between plays, which is worth something. Playing eye tag with cheerleaders is a tradition on every level and a football game without cheerleaders is a little weird. If they brought nothing to the table then they wouldn't be at the games at all. Nobody forces girls to do it. If you have a problem with "society encouraging it", then that's a different argument.

2) They are technically independent contractors, but they could just as easily be employees. If you're paying them, then you need to pay them fairly. The NFL has done a good job distancing themselves from this by hiring contractors instead of having them on the payroll ("The Giants respect women" LMAO what an amazing PR team).

3) I know a few former Jills and girls who have tried out for the Jills. They don't do it for the money or as a job. They do it to be called a Jill. There's a social prestige that comes with that. More likes on Facebook, more jealous looks from girls, more male attention, more promotion gigs on Chippewa. There's a reason the pay is so low yet the demand remains high. There is plenty of value there for the girls outside money.

4) My thought process on this is that the actual job is not degrading to women because the girls enjoy the benefits that come with it, otherwise they would not do it. Nobody forces them to do it. However, the contractors seem to be on a power trip because they know how valuable a spot on the Jills is and how much sh*t the girls are willing to eat to get it. That said, as long as they are getting paid at least minimum wage and they are not being overworked or breaking labor laws, let them do what they want.

The Marching bands represent their schools not the Bills, that is pretty freaking clear. The Jills represent the Bills. It is more than obvious that the claim made by the Jills is both a valid claim and one that should include the NFL. Under Goodell a team can do nothing without approval from League HQ, unless you are Jimmy Jones or Robert Kraft.

I don't get how an activities club could sue a team for "wages" when every marching band and Drum and Bugle corps practices at least as much and does a lot more than ...

When I played on the Seattle Seahawks Drumline, we got paid ("Wages") to practice.

Mike Rodak@mikerodak 1m

Per @WGRZ, five former Buffalo Jills cheerleaders have filed a civil lawsuit against the Bills, claiming they were underpaid.

Pegula needs to do the right thing and give these girls their money and reinstate the squad and put this behind us.

When I played on the Seattle Seahawks Drumline, we got paid ("Wages") to practice.

How is it that you are not a Seattle fan?

Pegula needs to do the right thing and give these girls their money and reinstate the squad and put this behind us.

Pegula should do no such thing. These women were contracted to perform a service at an agreed upon price. It had nothing to do with Pegula.

The Jills are gone--few, if any, noticed. Move along....

Pegula should do no such thing. These women were contracted to perform a service at an agreed upon price. It had nothing to do with Pegula.

A price that just so happens to be under the legal amount they are allowed to pay them. Pegula purchased the Bills, and in doing so purchased all their liabilities as well. If/when the Bills lose/settle this lawsuit Pegula will have to pay.

A price that just so happens to be under the legal amount they are allowed to pay them. Pegula purchased the Bills, and in doing so purchased all their liabilities as well. If/when the Bills lose/settle this lawsuit Pegula will have to pay.

They weren't employees of the Bills, so the minimum wage won't apply. They were contractors until proven otherwise. There is no "legal amount" you independently contract for. Don't like the contract, don't sign the contract.

They weren't employees of the Bills, so the minimum wage won't apply. They were contractors until proven otherwise. There is no "legal amount" you independently contract for. Don't like the contract, don't sign the contract

except that, according to the complaint filed, the Bills still had a hand in managing and controlling their activities, appearances and code of conduct, which makes the independent contractor definition a little cloudy.

the bills should bring back the Jills.

Cheerleading = team spirit = ambassadors

If all cheerleaders were cut off from all teams, then Id understand.

It's dumb to have some teams with cheerleaders and some not have any.

Pay up, reinstate, then agree to new fair terms. Pay them 3-5 bucks an hour over minimum wage. (They're worth a hell of a lot more than that). Settled.

You move along.

Jills will be back, players hold out for money even though they agreed to perform their duties. The Cheerleaders can do the same. And since it has nothing to do with Pegula who should just end it and pay them what they are worth instead of being treated like peasants.

It is old news, but you never want to miss an opportunity to grandstand.

Same goes for WEO

They weren't employees of the Bills, so the minimum wage won't apply. They were contractors until proven otherwise. There is no "legal amount" you independently contract for. Don't like the contract, don't sign the contract.

If that is the Bills argument they will lose. You can't be an independent contractor if your "employer" gives you specific times and places you need to work at.... say like "You Jills have to be at all of the football games, here's a schedule." - that alone would show they were employees and not contractors so if the Jills win the IRS/NYS Labor Dept. could eventually sue the Bills for all their back employment taxes owed since the inception of the Jills as a squad. There is no way to argue that they weren't required to be present at the football games, ect. so their gonna lose that fight unless the Jills lawyers are absolutely incompetent.

I for one want to see this settled and the Jills to come back to the games. The drum-line is cool and we can keep that too but football and cheerleaders go hand and hand, even at like Pop Warner games, and its a bit embarrassing not to have them as a NFL team.

If that is the Bills argument they will lose. You can't be an independent contractor if your "employer" gives you specific times and places you need to work at.... say like "You Jills have to be at all of the football games, here's a schedule." - that alone would show they were employees and not contractors so if the Jills win the IRS/NYS Labor Dept. could eventually sue the Bills for all their back employment taxes owed since the inception of the Jills as a squad. There is no way to argue that they weren't required to be present at the football games, ect. so their gonna lose that fight unless the Jills lawyers are absolutely incompetent.

I for one want to see this settled and the Jills to come back to the games. The drum-line is cool and we can keep that too but football and cheerleaders go hand and hand, even at like Pop Warner games, and its a bit embarrassing not to have them as a NFL team.

Two different things. There will certainly be a settlement of the lawsuit at some point and probably a settlement with the NYS DOL for unpaid SUI. That's just a cost of doing business and is a drop in a bucket for the Bills. But that doesn't mean they will bring the Jills back (now at higher cost, presumably with some benefits, different liability insurance requirement, etc). That becomes a hassle and not worth it.

It's a shame lawyers and an overbearing gov't had to ruin a good time for all but that's what people seem to want now. Clearly this was a volunteer activity/hobby for the girls. No one was earning their living as a cheerleader, they did it for the exposure and because it was fun.

Two different things. There will certainly be a settlement of the lawsuit at some point and probably a settlement with the NYS DOL for unpaid SUI. That's just a cost of doing business and is a drop in a bucket for the Bills. But that doesn't mean they will bring the Jills back (now at higher cost, presumably with some benefits, different liability insurance requirement, etc). That becomes a hassle and not worth it.

It's a shame lawyers and an overbearing gov't had to ruin a good time for all but that's what people seem to want now. Clearly this was a volunteer activity/hobby for the girls. No one was earning their living as a cheerleader, they did it for the exposure and because it was fun.

...and, apparently, because they wanted to be told how to clean their hoo-ha.

...and, apparently, because they wanted to be told how to clean their hoo-ha.

This is the absolute dumbest criticism of the whole thing. They gave them a booklet that included tips on proper feminine hygiene. What's the big deal?

I've been a Bills fans since 1996. Moved to Seattle and heard about the drumline and tried out. I was in it for the 2005 season. That was a really good team on both sides of the football and kicking teams as well. And, a classy team. I was a fan then. Stayed a fan for a few years until Pete Carrol came to town along with his usual sleaze. The fans are obnoxious homers. Now they have ZERO class. A trophy, but still they have ZERO class. So now I cheer against them. When Pete leaves, I'll reconsider.

But the BILLS are my team.

Edited by reddogblitz

I've been a Bills fans since 1996. Moved to Seattle and heard about the drumline and tried out. I was in it for the 2005 season. That was a really good team on both sides of the football and kicking teams as well. And, a classy team. I was a fan then. Stayed a fan for a few years until Pete Carrol came to town along with his usual sleaze. The fans are obnoxious homers. Now they have ZERO class. A trophy, but still they have ZERO class. So now I cheer against them. When Pete leaves, I'll reconsider.

Good job not being a bandwagoner! Man, I hate Carroll............I hate him even more after handing the Patriots the Super Bowl

Whats wrong with Pete?