Unstoppable CJ

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They did give Spiller the ball plenty of times.

The problem is that they were having him run up the middle a lot.

yes. and both of our guards (esp LG) were getting manhandled most of the time.

pounding the ball is a great strategy but only if you have the big boys taking care of business upfront.

yes. and both of our guards (esp LG) were getting manhandled most of the time.

pounding the ball is a great strategy but only if you have the big boys taking care of business upfront.

Urbik was not getting manhandled. The weak links on the line last year were Brown/Legursky and Pears.

Did that article really claim that CJ has exceptional vision? Nobody doubts his explosiveness but to say his vision is anything but a liability is to not watch him play. If he had exceptional vision he'd be the best back in the league.

They did give Spiller the ball plenty of times.

The problem is that they were having him run up the middle a lot.

Exactly. He played his best ball the year before when he ran off tackle. Fred made us the tough yards last year. They were both hurt at different times last year which is why we picked up two more backs so there is no drop off in the running game. I certainly want CJ to play well this year.

If Spiller's so unstoppable, then how come he had only 2 total TDs on 235 touches last season and only 2 rushing TDs on 202 carries? Sounds pretty stoppable to me, especially for a guy that we were told once he hit open field he was gone. He was run down a bunch of times.

58 players had more rushing TDs including 8 QBs and 1 WR. Everyone had more receiving TDs since he didn't have any.

He's had only 1 return TD in the NFL too, on 75 return attempts. At Clemson he had 8 return TDs on 127 attempts, one every 16 attempts, nearly five times the rate.

He has an equal number of touches offensively through four years of NFL and at Clemson, 729, but at Clemson he had 43 TDs while here he has only 17, only 40% the rate.

Just throwing those facts out there.

he played in 15 games last year.

That's 62 yards per game and only 2 TDs for the entire season.

If that isn't elite I don't know what is...

LOL

Read that the other day. Glad to see CJ mentioned, hope he can really solidify that status this year.

Fifth time's the charm?

He can be unstoppable when he gets the ball. The problem is that he's not getting the ball enough. That is one thing about this team that I just don't get. They say they're going to "give him the ball until he pukes" and then don't. I know he was dinged up at times, but even when he appeared to be healthy, they just weren't giving him the football. Maybe this years contract year will be a motivator. I just don't know.

Again, 2 rushing TDs in 202 carries. So we should make sure he gets 400 carries so that he can score 4 rushing TDs.

Here's the bottom line, everyone said that once Spiller got "into space" that he would take it to the house. That's clearly not the case. Everyone that's watched football for any extended number of years knows that speed does not translate to the NFL level from college nearly as well as the writers say that it will. What seems fast in college slows way down in the NFL because everyone's fast in the NFL.

The truth is that Spiller's speed and moves just don't cut it for him in the NFL the way that many people said that they would much less the way that they did in college when he was playing against a whole lot of players that are presently working outside the NFL doing normal jobs.

This is also why I've been issueing cautionary statements about Watkins, he's the same type of player that excelled in college primarily off of a talent differential between his team and almost every opposing team that he played in four years at Clemson in a relatively weak conference whereby the only much above average defense he ever had to face was FSU against whom he had a combined 14 receptions for 92 yards in both games combined in his Jr. and Sr. seasons. That's 7 for 46 on average as a Jr. and Sr. WR.

Watkins comes from the same exact program, played against even worse talent since the ACC has gotten worse after Clemson and FSU since Spiller's days, and played under the same coach in the same or similar system. If that system weren't responsible for Clemson's success, then Boyd wouldn't have been drafted in the 6th round.

Edited by TaskersGhost

He's "hard to bring down"? Seems to me he may have led the league in negative or less than 2 yard carries. Anyone have this stat? I can't find anything about short or negative carries. I could be wrong, but looked like he got stuffed most of the time and then had a bunch of long runs in the mix.

Now that SJ is gone, let's run the next talented Bill out of town! Clearly, rbs that average 4.6 ypc SUCK. That's pretty obivous. Against the Browns, he averaged 8.3 ypc and only had 8 carries. His last carry was 54 yard td. I'm sure the fact he was battling an ankle injury didn't hold him back at all. Running backs don't need their stupid ankles.

Add to that the list of pro bowl QBs the Bills have had (Edwards, Fitz, 3 1st year QBs last year) since CJ has been here, and there should be wide open lanes all over the place. Why would defenses try to stack the line when they have such an explosive passing game to worry about?

Only in Bills fans do we knock a guy who had more yards and a higer ypc and praise the guy with less. Guess what? We have 2 good rbs. Fred Jackson gets short yardage carries, so he gets more tds. Spiller is about as explosive of a rb in the NFL. Yet, he sucks. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills! :w00t:

He's "hard to bring down"? Seems to me he may have led the league in negative or less than 2 yard carries. Anyone have this stat? I can't find anything about short or negative carries. I could be wrong, but looked like he got stuffed most of the time and then had a bunch of long runs in the mix.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2013/broken-tackles-2012

If Spiller's so unstoppable, then how come he had only 2 total TDs on 235 touches last season and only 2 rushing TDs on 202 carries? Sounds pretty stoppable to me, especially for a guy that we were told once he hit open field he was gone. He was run down a bunch of times.

58 players had more rushing TDs including 8 QBs and 1 WR. Everyone had more receiving TDs since he didn't have any.

He's had only 1 return TD in the NFL too, on 75 return attempts. At Clemson he had 8 return TDs on 127 attempts, one every 16 attempts, nearly five times the rate.

He has an equal number of touches offensively through four years of NFL and at Clemson, 729, but at Clemson he had 43 TDs while here he has only 17, only 40% the rate.

Just throwing those facts out there.

LOL

Fifth time's the charm?

Again, 2 rushing TDs in 202 carries. So we should make sure he gets 400 carries so that he can score 4 rushing TDs.

Here's the bottom line, everyone said that once Spiller got "into space" that he would take it to the house. That's clearly not the case. Everyone that's watched football for any extended number of years knows that speed does not translate to the NFL level from college nearly as well as the writers say that it will. What seems fast in college slows way down in the NFL because everyone's fast in the NFL.

The truth is that Spiller's speed and moves just don't cut it for him in the NFL the way that many people said that they would much less the way that they did in college when he was playing against a whole lot of players that are presently working outside the NFL doing normal jobs.

This is also why I've been issueing cautionary statements about Watkins, he's the same type of player that excelled in college primarily off of a talent differential between his team and almost every opposing team that he played in four years at Clemson in a relatively weak conference whereby the only much above average defense he ever had to face was FSU against whom he had a combined 14 receptions for 92 yards in both games combined in his Jr. and Sr. seasons. That's 7 for 46 on average as a Jr. and Sr. WR.

Watkins comes from the same exact program, played against even worse talent since the ACC has gotten worse after Clemson and FSU since Spiller's days, and played under the same coach in the same or similar system. If that system weren't responsible for Clemson's success, then Boyd wouldn't have been drafted in the 6th round.

well said about CJ. Glad I could get a chuckle out of someone with that. But in all honesty, it's 100% true.

I don't feel the same way towards Watkins. I used to before and just after we drafted him. His size doesn't compute to the NFL as much as people would like to think. But someone got it 100% correct wen they compared him to Larry Fiftzgerald. It really is a great comparison and once I heard that, I'm convinced that Sammy will be a great player baring injury. He really has the same type of makup as the all-pro and it could be great.

Damn straight brother!

another chuckle. I'm doing good today.

stop making sense

Now that SJ is gone, let's run the next talented Bill out of town! Clearly, rbs that average 4.6 ypc SUCK. That's pretty obivous. Against the Browns, he averaged 8.3 ypc and only had 8 carries. His last carry was 54 yard td. I'm sure the fact he was battling an ankle injury didn't hold him back at all. Running backs don't need their stupid ankles.

Add to that the list of pro bowl QBs the Bills have had (Edwards, Fitz, 3 1st year QBs last year) since CJ has been here, and there should be wide open lanes all over the place. Why would defenses try to stack the line when they have such an explosive passing game to worry about?

Only in Bills fans do we knock a guy who had more yards and a higer ypc and praise the guy with less. Guess what? We have 2 good rbs. Fred Jackson gets short yardage carries, so he gets more tds. Spiller is about as explosive of a rb in the NFL. Yet, he sucks. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills! :w00t:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2013/broken-tackles-2012

your taking crazy pills if you still think CJ can be something that he has only proved to be once out of 4 years. The other 4 years he's been barely average.

the real problem was that he sucked for most of the year.

I love that on this board people make excuses for the likes of Trent, Fitz, etc who suck all the time and have poor stats to match. But Spiller averages 4.6 YPC on one leg most of the year (and 4.6 YPC was a career low) which he played through (in a NON contract year too) to help his team decimated by injuries, and now he suddenly sucks. I will take Spiller "sucking" over most RBs at the top of their game in the NFL.

well said about CJ. Glad I could get a chuckle out of someone with that. But in all honesty, it's 100% true.

I don't feel the same way towards Watkins. I used to before and just after we drafted him. His size doesn't compute to the NFL as much as people would like to think. But someone got it 100% correct wen they compared him to Larry Fiftzgerald. It really is a great comparison and once I heard that, I'm convinced that Sammy will be a great player baring injury. He really has the same type of makup as the all-pro and it could be great.

another chuckle. I'm doing good today.

stop making sense

your taking crazy pills if you still think CJ can be something that he has only proved to be once out of 4 years. The other 4 years he's been barely average.

150 more carries, he would tie for 6th ALL TIME. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/rush_yds_per_att_career.htm Clearly, he is a problem.

Spiller isn't Jim Brown or Peterson. But do I think he can be the 1,700 yards from scrimmage back he was 2 years ago? Without a doubt. Sorry if I'm not sold on how the 1st year OC from Cuse used a pro bowl rb last year.

I love that on this board people make excuses for the likes of Trent, Fitz, etc who suck all the time and have poor stats to match. But Spiller averages 4.6 YPC on one leg most of the year (and 4.6 YPC was a career low) which he played through (in a NON contract year too) to help his team decimated by injuries, and now he suddenly sucks. I will take Spiller "sucking" over most RBs at the top of their game in the NFL.

As sad as it is, it will take him going to another team and watching him becoming a beast from some to get how talented he is. My Jets' fans friends basically think the Bills are a joke and even they recognize how good Spiller is.

After 2012, who are teams trying to stop: Spiller or EJ, Tuel, or Lewis?

After the injury against Baltimore in W4 Spiller was essentially running on one leg for the rest of the season -- and was still spectacular at times.

The sky remains the limit for CJ, and he's one motivated sonofagun.