Unstoppable CJ

That is my issue with Spiller as well. Give me a back who consistently runs for 4 or 5 yards every time he touches the ball any day. That moves the chains. Backs like Spiller look good on highlight reels however. Not Spillers fault, it's just the way of the waterbug.

Where is this guy? Who is the back that never loses yardage yet gains 4-5 yards every play? He does not exist anyone would take him.

What has Marrone ever done or said to imply that he was not happy with CJ? Split carries with FJ? What coach would 't? He actually said the opposite, that CJ was NOT available.

Brown and Dixon came cheap. Sure he asked about Brown when he knew the Eagles had to many running backs. It's not like he gave up much for either guy. This year it's CJ and FJ, sure the other two will get some carries and are great to have if we have an injury. But CJ and FJ will carry the load again.

Edited by SRQ_BillsFan

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where is this guy? Who is the back that never loses yardage yet gains 4-5 yards every play? He does not exist anyone would take him.

What has Marrone ever done or said to imply that he was not happy with CJ? Split carries with FJ? What coach would 't? He actually said the opposite, that CJ was NOT available.

Brown and Dixon came cheap. Sure he asked about Brown when he knew the Eagles had to many running backs. It's not like he gave up much for either guy. This year it's CJ and FJ, sure the other two will get some carries and are great to have if we have an injury. But CJ and FJ will carry the load again.

Are you really implying there aren't more "consistent" RB's than Spiller?

Bryce Brown is obviously the "future" for our RB unit. At best, he's CJ insurance. At worst, he's CJ's replacement.

I really liked the way Chan used CJ. Getting him the ball on screens and out the backfield on passes, and then handing it off to him a lot out of shotgun situations. With CJ you need to get him in space so that his speed is much more effective (Obviously any player is better in space but if you spread the field with him, it makes it more likely you can get him to have those big plays). Trying to run him up the middle will hopefully work better if the O-line and passing game come together more.

Edited by billsfan89

He can be unstoppable when he gets the ball. The problem is that he's not getting the ball enough. That is one thing about this team that I just don't get. They say they're going to "give him the ball until he pukes" and then don't. I know he was dinged up at times, but even when he appeared to be healthy, they just weren't giving him the football. Maybe this years contract year will be a motivator. I just don't know.

did you mean to post this after the 2012 season?

Have you seen some of the All-22? Or talked to posters who have seen some?

I'm asking because everything I've heard about CJ based on the tape, is that he consistently missed holes last year. Not that holes weren't made. Not the defenses stacking box. Not that all of the plays sucked.

Nope. I used to have Game Rewind but let it lapse after last season. Did you hear it showed the same in 2012? Maybe he was missing the holes because of his ankle? I can tell I didn't like some of the plays that were being called for him. That is for sure. Would you be happy with 2012 like production from Spiller?

I was just thinking how everyone is such a fan of Jackson now. I didn't visit this site as frequently in 2012 but were people calling for Jackson to be released/traded when Spiller was doing well in 2012? I know quite a people have flip flopped on the two RB's. It's great we aren't coaches.

Edited by What a Tuel

So much fail in this thread. Let's go get the robot runningback from fantasyland who gets 4 yards on every carry.

Then we can just run it on every play and pick up 12 yards on 3 downs and never turn the ball over. Championship !

How much worse could the bills offenses have been without spiller (even as a decoy).

Fred and Spiller together as a unit have been great together. So much BS flowing here.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

CJ is a great back in the open field, he is not a power runner coupled with the fact that he hesitates at the hole, his numbers were not great. Without a good offense line making the first 'hole' he is not great.. I agree that sweeps, passes in the flat, and screens are were he will be most productive.

Who does the defense key on when Peterson is in the backfield? (and he's in the backfield one heck of a lot more than CJ)

Who does the defense key on when Megatron is on the field?

Who does the defense key on when AJ Green is on the field?

Who does the defense key on when McCoy is on the field?

With a rookie QB and a below average O-line who did the defense key on when FJ was on the field?

Spiller either can or can't get it done. To this point in his career he has not been able to sustain himself for a 16 game season. Until he does his potential is unrealized.

My guess is Belichick has been more worried about Jackson than Spiller. FJ is the guy who is always there, always fighting forward. CJ is electric at times, but, at times he disappears. This would be a great ??? to get answered truthfully, too bad it'll never happen.

Yes, we have the power. Surprised you didn't know this.

And he's never been THE guy for 16 games either.

Finally, I'll leave you with this...for CJ's NFL career to this point...at crunch time who would you rather have on the field, CJ or FJ? If you say CJ I have to question how much football you've watched. The #9 pick (not his fault) has not beaten out the UDFA. Father Time may finally be catching up to JF, but...so far I want Jackson in the backfield with the game on the line. He's simply been a more complete player.

I'm struggling to get your point here. The Pats would focus more on Fred Jackson (1,931 combined yards the last 2 years, 4.8 yards/ touch) than CJ Spiller (2,821 yards, 5.8 yards/ touch)? How does that make sense?

And yes, the last 2 years CJ Spiller has beaten out Fred Jackson. And Jackson is a damn good rb in his own right and would start for a bunch of teams.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

Wow, what great numbers! In the other 7 carries, he gained a whopping 10 yards. Defensive coordinators around the league are certainly shivering. They also cower at the thought of our team being 2nd in rushing yards and 28th in Time of Possession!!!

Spiller does nothing but win football games for the Buffalo Bills. He was a steal at #9, no?

I wish I could have bet money on Bill showing up in a thread about Spiller and putting him down. :)http://espn.go.com/n...adrian-peterson Peterson in his opener against the Lions: 18 carries for 93 yards and a 78 yard long run. If you take away his 78 yard run (stupid), he had 17 carries for 15 yards. 26 carries for 100 yards and a long of 36. Take away his long run (so stupid), he had 25 carries for 64 yards. But Spiller is the only rb who gets negative or short yardage runs.

Bill, with all due respect, this is why bothers about you as a poster. If you don't like a guy, you constantly find away to complain about them. It gets old. Spiller will never win in your eyes. He played through a high ankle sprain and it clearly limited him. So you use it to knock him. But if he sits out with the injury and doesn't play until he's healthy, he's a kitty cat.

I hated the SJ trade but I won't be posting every time he has a good game or Mike Williams drops a pass. I want the Bills to succeed. Yeah, the Bills would be in much better shape with that stud Bryan Bulaga instead of Spiller. You cry about losing Levitre, who hasn't made a pro bowl and helped Chris Johnson post some of the worst numbers of his career. Yet, Spiller with one pro bowl (will sharing time with a really good rb) and a career rushing average that places him 6th ALL TIME is a scrub. This is insane to me.

In today's NFL, you probably shouldn't draft a rb high. But Spiller is a damn good back, who should be an all round weapon. Let's hope the OC from Cuse figures out how to use him to his strengths. But I wonder how many team boards would complain about Spiller?

Edited by C.Biscuit97

So much fail in this thread. Let's go get the robot runningback from fantasyland who gets 4 yards on every carry.

Then we can just run it on every play and pick up 12 yards on 3 downs and never turn the ball over. Championship !

How much worse could the bills offenses have been without spiller (even as a decoy).

Fred and Spiller together as a unit have been great together. So much BS flowing here.

Read the thread title once you climb down from your soapbox.

I'm struggling to get your point here. The Pats would focus more on Fred Jackson (1,931 combined yards the last 2 years, 4.8 yards/ touch) than CJ Spiller (2,821 yards, 5.8 yards/ touch)? How does that make sense?

And yes, the last 2 years CJ Spiller has beaten out Fred Jackson. And Jackson is a damn good rb in his own right and would start for a bunch of teams.

The post I replied to said that Spiller would be the focus of Belichick's defense. I don't think that's the case, but I would love to be able to find out. What part are you not understanding?

Do I think that Belichick has made stopping the run the focus against recent Bills teams? Yes.

Edited by Beerball

Agreed, it's probably misleading as not many players are unstoppable. But when he was healthy in 2012, there were times Spiller was unstoppable. I guess I'm crazy but I think nearly 1,000 yard at 4.6 a clip on a hurt ankle in a "bad" year is pretty good.

It's way more fun on the soapbox and point taken. Hopped on the soapbox as too many are pooping on him. Him and Freddy are an excellent 1-2 punch and deserve no ire IMO.

He's not unstoppable, that title is reserved for Legarrette Blount and any other 3rd string rb vs the buffalo D as well as Marcus Easley in preseason games.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

It's way more fun on the soapbox and point taken. Hopped on the soapbox as too many are pooping on him. Him and Freddy are an excellent 1-2 punch and deserve no ire IMO.

He's not unstoppable, that title is reserved for Legarrette Blount and any other 3rd string rb vs the buffalo D as well as Marcus Easley in preseason games.

:lol: Bobby Rainey!

Agreed, it's probably misleading as not many players are unstoppable. But when he was healthy in 2012, there were times Spiller was unstoppable. I guess I'm crazy but I think nearly 1,000 yard at 4.6 a clip on a hurt ankle in a "bad" year is pretty good.

His overall numbers are very impressive to be sure. But he is a all or nothing back. The occasional big runs surrounded by a bunch of no gain or loss carries. The average still looks good on his stat sheet, but puts the defense on the field a lot with all the 3 and outs from his other carries. If Marrone can figure out a way to maximize Spillers big runs while minimizing all of his no gains then, and only then, will Spiller not be an overall liability in my opinion. And if Marrone can do that, then the league will definitely have to look out for the Bills.

His overall numbers are very impressive to be sure. But he is a all or nothing back. The occasional big runs surrounded by a bunch of no gain or loss carries. The average still looks good on his stat sheet, but puts the defense on the field a lot with all the 3 and outs from his other carries. If Marrone can figure out a way to maximize Spillers big runs while minimizing all of his no gains then, and only then, will Spiller not be an overall liability in my opinion. And if Marrone can do that, then the league will definitely have to look out for the Bills.

I prety much agree with all of this. IMO, he should be used like Reggie Bush and as a runner, he's off to a better start than Bush. But pounding Spiller up the middle is not the best move. Give him 15 carries and 5 catches. Use Spiller and Jackson backfield. What would a guy like Sean Payton be able to do with CJ?

I prety much agree with all of this. IMO, he should be used like Reggie Bush and as a runner, he's off to a better start than Bush. But pounding Spiller up the middle is not the best move. Give him 15 carries and 5 catches. Use Spiller and Jackson backfield. What would a guy like Sean Payton be able to do with CJ?

Exactly. Or Harbaugh. My fear is BellyCheat gets Spiller because you know that !@#$er would figure out a way as well.

Exactly. Or Harbaugh. My fear is BellyCheat gets Spiller because you know that !@#$er would figure out a way as well.

And that's exactly why I defend Spiller. 4.6 ypc on a bum ankle with Nate Hackett. The thought of Spiller going to NO or Denver or some good offensive team terrifies me.

Didnt a Jets Defender laugh at Spiller prior to the first match up last season? SOmething like Smash Mouth football makes Spiller disappear? ANd sure enough, he sucked big balls in that game!

Again,,when you run out of bounds untouched late in the half which gives the ball back to the opponent, you're game smarts sux. This is CJ! Anyone remember when he complained to Marrone and Marrone told him to man up!

Didnt a Jets Defender laugh at Spiller prior to the first match up last season? SOmething like Smash Mouth football makes Spiller disappear? ANd sure enough, he sucked big balls in that game!

Again,,when you run out of bounds untouched late in the half which gives the ball back to the opponent, you're game smarts sux. This is CJ! Anyone remember when he complained to Marrone and Marrone told him to man up!

i think I've got to remove you from my block list now.

And that's exactly why I defend Spiller. 4.6 ypc on a bum ankle with Nate Hackett. The thought of Spiller going to NO or Denver or some good offensive team terrifies me.

i understand your point. It's noted. But seriously, the "bum ankle" think is just getting old.

That's my point about being injury prone. Regardless of how many games he has missed. It seems were making this excuse for him every year. Excuses in general every year. This time it's the new coordinator and the bum ankle, when chan was here he gets winded. And of course there's been plenty of injury excuses along the way as well.

So when are we going to stop making excuses for the kid? If he has another down year all were going to hear about is how EJ sucked and it effected him. Or how he had to split carries with Brown. Or how the team passed more. I'm willing to bet by the end of the season well be making some new excuse for him. But that's just me and my opinion.

Edited by mrags

i think I've got to remove you from my block list now.

i understand your point. It's noted. But seriously, the "bum ankle" think is just getting old.

That's my point about being injury prone. Regardless of how many games he has missed. It seems were making this excuse for him every year. Excuses in general every year. This time it's the new coordinator and the bum ankle, when chan was here he gets winded. And of course there's been plenty of injury excuses along the way as well.

So when are we going to stop making excuses for the kid? If he has another down year all were going to hear about is how EJ sucked and it effected him. Or how he had to split carries with Brown. Or how the team passed more. I'm willing to bet by the end of the season well be making some new excuse for him. But that's just me and my opinion.

He did actually have a high ankle sprain last year and gutted it out, playing several games even when he was clearly in pain. I was proud of him for doing what he needed to do for the team, and credit much of that attitude to Fred Jackson's leadership honestly.

I think I hold a middle-of-the-road position: CJ is a great RB when used as a specialized weapon. He's not refined enough to be an every situation "bell cow" for the offense to follow, but is still very valuable. I am more critical of the coaches than of CJ himself. CJ is a boxing "hay maker," which isn't the main tool you use to win a match, but has it's place.