Unstoppable CJ

Unstoppable is clearly the wrong word for CJ. He's exciting, dynamic, and I'll even give him versatile, but he's not hard to bring down, nor does he have great vision. That term would be more apropos to Fred Jackson, Lynch or even Travis Henry when he was here.

I'm very glad CJ is on the team and think he could have a very big year. I don't think he'll be used like he was last year very much.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love that on this board people make excuses for the likes of Trent, Fitz, etc who suck all the time and have poor stats to match. But Spiller averages 4.6 YPC on one leg most of the year (and 4.6 YPC was a career low) which he played through (in a NON contract year too) to help his team decimated by injuries, and now he suddenly sucks. I will take Spiller "sucking" over most RBs at the top of their game in the NFL.

i never said that I don't like CJ on this team. And I don't make excuses for anyone. I used to believe CJ could be the next Marshall Faulk or Priest Holmes. On paper it computes. On the field, it doesn't even come close. I have just learned to not be fooled by his potential. He has consistently underachieved his draft status. And while I don't hate him for it, It does annoy me that fans take it so personal. It's nothing against CJ as a person or player, He is what he is. Why ask him to be something more than he's proven to be?

You want to talk about excuses for Trent or Fitz? They both had potential just like CJ. The difference is they were the QBs of this team. Something we hadn't had in years. A true leader and someone to take us to the playoffs again. Both at times (just like CJ) showed great promise. The only difference is that CJ was a top 10 draft pick and Trent and Fitz were 3rd round and 7th rounders.

i never said that I don't like CJ on this team. And I don't make excuses for anyone. I used to believe CJ could be the next Marshall Faulk or Priest Holmes. On paper it computes. On the field, it doesn't even come close. I have just learned to not be fooled by his potential. He has consistently underachieved his draft status. And while I don't hate him for it, It does annoy me that fans take it so personal. It's nothing against CJ as a person or player, He is what he is. Why ask him to be something more than he's proven to be?

You want to talk about excuses for Trent or Fitz? They both had potential just like CJ. The difference is they were the QBs of this team. Something we hadn't had in years. A true leader and someone to take us to the playoffs again. Both at times (just like CJ) showed great promise. The only difference is that CJ was a top 10 draft pick and Trent and Fitz were 3rd round and 7th rounders.

But you don't think having QBs like Trent and Fitz limit Spiller? I love Fitz but him and Edwards aren't exactly stretching the field. Teams bring extra guys to the box when they are under center.

Not everything is so black and white. Who do think Belichick game plans to stop against the Bills? And again, this is a guy who was hurt and still averages 5.1 ypc for his CAREER.

150 more carries, he would tie for 6th ALL TIME. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/rush_yds_per_att_career.htm Clearly, he is a problem.

Spiller isn't Jim Brown or Peterson. But do I think he can be the 1,700 yards from scrimmage back he was 2 years ago? Without a doubt. Sorry if I'm not sold on how the 1st year OC from Cuse used a pro bowl rb last year.

As sad as it is, it will take him going to another team and watching him becoming a beast from some to get how talented he is. My Jets' fans friends basically think the Bills are a joke and even they recognize how good Spiller is.

After 2012, who are teams trying to stop: Spiller or EJ, Tuel, or Lewis?

i have no idea what that link was for. I'm in my phone so of there's something different than on a desktop I have no idea. But It doesn't make sense to me.

If you think he can consistently be a 1,700 yard back then I'll ask for how long do you think he can be that? Even in his younger years he's showing he gets banged up every season. What do you thinks gonna happen when he's older and has more tread on the tires? He's not long for this league at his rate of injury.

Your Jets fan friends think the Bills are a joke??? Hahaha. That says it all right there.

CJ Spiller sucks man... I mean 5.1 career yards per carry? Yuck. 1250 yards on only 200 carries? That's terrible. It's not like if Spiller has one more year of at least 5.1 YPC he could retire and be 3rd all time among RBs. Oh wait...

He's not a great player, but you don't have to be as a RB anymore. This is probably the easiest era there has ever been to run the football. Teams play so much nickel and dime, while LBs and strong safeties are no longer the run stoppers they once were. Still, between the 20's there are few RBs as productive as Spiller. I don't really care about that though, since it's more efficient to use two RBs than it is to use a single workhorse.

That's probably also the reason they signed Dixon and traded for Brown.

i have no idea what that link was for. I'm in my phone so of there's something different than on a desktop I have no idea. But It doesn't make sense to me.

If you think he can consistently be a 1,700 yard back then I'll ask for how long do you think he can be that? Even in his younger years he's showing he gets banged up every season. What do you thinks gonna happen when he's older and has more tread on the tires? He's not long for this league at his rate of injury.

Your Jets fan friends think the Bills are a joke??? Hahaha. That says it all right there.

He's referencing that Spiller would be 6th all time in yards per carry (5.1) if he gets 150 more carries at his current average. If you count only RBs he would be 3rd all time.

But you don't think having QBs like Trent and Fitz limit Spiller? I love Fitz but him and Edwards aren't exactly stretching the field. Teams bring extra guys to the box when they are under center.

Not everything is so black and white. Who do think Belichick game plans to stop against the Bills? And again, this is a guy who was hurt and still averages 5.1 ypc for his CAREER.

good or great players are good or great no matter who's around them. They uplift teams. Not the other way around. If CJ truly was that great, then he would have made others better around him.

Do you really think Trent Green was that good in KC? Good enough to take his team to the playoffs every year? Or do you think that KC team was all Preost Holmes? What about Marshall Faulk when he was in Indy? Or at the beginning of his career in STL? Do you think Adrian Peterson cares of Josh Freeman is his QB? What about Jamal Lewis when he had Trent Dilfer at QB.

Your argument doesn't hold water.

It's a list of the all time leading yards per career in NFL history. Spiller would be tied for 6th all time (and some QBs are ahead with is a little misleading).

And I meant 1,700 yards with rushes and catches. Spiller isn't a guy you pound 300 times up the middle. you need to get him in space. Catches, IMO, are better for a guy like CJ because it limits the amount of big hits he takes.

Hackett wasn't good using Spiller and Spiller was injuried. He still got 4.6 ypc, which is good. My hope is Spiller is healthy, Manuel is more of a downfield threat, the oline is better, and Hackett uses Spiller better. But it's a combination of things that can help a rb. This wasn't a great offense around CJ last year and he (and Fred) were the focal points of the defense.

CJ Spiller sucks man... I mean 5.1 career yards per carry? Yuck. 1250 yards on only 200 carries? That's terrible. It's not like if Spiller has one more year of at least 5.1 YPC he could retire and be 3rd all time among RBs. Oh wait...

He's not a great player, but you don't have to be as a RB anymore. This is probably the easiest era there has ever been to run the football. Teams play so much nickel and dime, while LBs and strong safeties are no longer the run stoppers they once were. Still, between the 20's there are few RBs as productive as Spiller. I don't really care about that though, since it's more efficient to use two RBs than it is to use a single workhorse.

That's probably also the reason they signed Dixon and traded for Brown.

He's referencing that Spiller would be 6th all time in yards per carry (5.1) if he gets 150 more carries at his current average. If you count only RBs he would be 3rd all time.

again, CJ had "A" good year. One. Uno. 1. Not multiples. Average doesn't mean anything. If your averaging 7 yards a carry but can only manage to carry the ball 6 times a game that does very little to help the overall of this team. Ok that's an exaggeration but you get the point. At least you should.

His averages mean nothing. He gets more short gains, no gains, or loss of yards than many others only to have a few long runs to keep him in the plus column. It hurts the offense overall waiting for him to break one. I'd rather have a back that can churn out 4 yards every carry but that's opinion.

It's a list of the all time leading yards per career in NFL history. Spiller would be tied for 6th all time (and some QBs are ahead with is a little misleading).

And I meant 1,700 yards with rushes and catches. Spiller isn't a guy you pound 300 times up the middle. you need to get him in space. Catches, IMO, are better for a guy like CJ because it limits the amount of big hits he takes.

Hackett wasn't good using Spiller and Spiller was injuried. He still got 4.6 ypc, which is good. My hope is Spiller is healthy, Manuel is more of a downfield threat, the oline is better, and Hackett uses Spiller better. But it's a combination of things that can help a rb. This wasn't a great offense around CJ last year and he (and Fred) were the focal points of the defense.

one thing we can both agree on is that we both hope he has a great year. While I don't hold out hope for him as a dominant player. I do hope he helps this team. I just don't want to sign him after this to some ridiculous contract because I don't think he's worth it.

He's "hard to bring down"? Seems to me he may have led the league in negative or less than 2 yard carries. Anyone have this stat? I can't find anything about short or negative carries. I could be wrong, but looked like he got stuffed most of the time and then had a bunch of long runs in the mix.

He's hard to bring down, or to even touch, once he hits the second level. The focus needs to be on getting him there, and helping him learn how to find it with more frequency.

CJ strikes me as a guy who needs encouragement, not a coach barking in his ear. It seems like getting on him for what he can't do, or isn't doing, isn't really working.

he played in 15 games last year.

That's 62 yards per game and only 2 TDs for the entire season.

If that isn't elite I don't know what is...

Then I guess Fred is no good then... seeing he had MORE CARRIES then CJ and LESS YARDS then CJ. CJ did not get put in when they were in the redzone, so if he got a TD it was from 20+ yard run! He also was playing injured all season.

Fred Jackson. But I doubt he has stayed awake nights worrying about the Bills offense at all in recent years. His sleepless nights have probably been about the lack of healthy talent on his offense.

Now that SJ is gone, let's run the next talented Bill out of town! Clearly, rbs that average 4.6 ypc SUCK. That's pretty obivous. Against the Browns, he averaged 8.3 ypc and only had 8 carries. His last carry was 54 yard td. I'm sure the fact he was battling an ankle injury didn't hold him back at all. Running backs don't need their stupid ankles.

:lol: :lol:

Who ran SJ out of town? The BOARD MEMBERS?

How can having Fitz hurt Spiller, when his best year ever was with Fitz? Is Fitz the missing piece?

Then I guess Fred is no good then... seeing he had MORE CARRIES then CJ and LESS YARDS then CJ. CJ did not get put in when they were in the redzone, so if he got a TD it was from 20+ yard run! He also was playing injured all season.

the difference is Freddy gets consistent yardage while CJ consistently goes: 1 yard, 3 yard, minus 3 yards, 40 yard. It doesn't help the offense as much as many believe it does. It's unrealiable.

So you dont think that a high ankle sprain had anything to do with that?

i think it's a very poor excuse. If he was that injured he wouldn't have been in the game.

CJ is going to have a big year. Extend him now before he looks for a max deal. RBs are not getting paid in 2014 - giving him no leverage.

and what if he has another sub 1,000 yard season. Or what if he has another season where he is riddled with injuries? Would you really want to lock him up long term then?