MMQB article...Mike Pettine

FYI, I would be a better coach then Pettine.

Ironic that the Browns keep saying they don't want a lot of media coverage and distractions.

Welcome to Rex's protege. The guy is going do a lot of things very well and other things very poorly. I don't see much middle ground here and I see that being the bullet that takes him down. He's not a give and take type dude. He's a take and have taken from dude. He won't give up something by choice.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI, I would be a better coach then Pettine.

Were you the one holding up the interview process? lol

I like Pettine's personality but his inexperience as a HC scares me. I also think this interview he did is kind of reminiscent of the Rex Ryan-Eric Mangini thing and we all know how well that turned out.

Were you the one holding up the interview process? lol

I like Pettine's personality but his inexperience as a HC scares me. I also think this interview he did is kind of reminiscent of the Rex Ryan-Eric Mangini thing and we all know how well that turned out.

The truth is that it is going to be the opposite which will matter. His natural coaching ability, tendency to surround himself with smart football people and his ability to communicate to the talent/field/players will give him success. His personality will not be presented well and not be in tone with Cleveland people.

I see Pettine having success in the NFL in the future - especially if he fails out here. I could see him going 2 or 3 years in Cleveland and going back to an assistant job and ending up in New England at some point as HC.

Oh, and as far as me holding up the process, not so much. I'd not want to move to Cleveland. It's a cesspool. Maybe outside of Cleveland, in some places sure. But Cleveland to Lowrain on up to Mentor it is pretty pitiful. I'd go South, but try to avoid Akron, Canton. Stow would be nice and far, quiet and peaceful.

Edited by jboyst62

For those here who don't look beyond the top-line stats, I recommend looking at the defensive stats to the right in the team total stats at the top -- plays, yards, and points *per drive*. Then compare the Pettine-led defense with Bills defenses from previous years (go to the top left and click on previous year and/or franchise encyclopedia). The Bills D performed extremely well last year. They were second in the freaking league in yards per drive.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2013.htm

It's really unbecoming for allegedly knowledgeable Bills fans to jump on Pettine simply because he received a head coaching offer he couldn't turn down.

Edited by dave mcbride

If you look beyond the "wah, Mike Pettine's coaching the Browns!" melodrama...he drops quite a few priceless nuggets of management advice in that article. Lots of his techniques for managing and teaching players apply across multiple domains, not just in sports.

Jake Steinberg@Steiny31 10m

Bizarre that Pettine feels the need to throw Rex under the bus. He might've still been a video operations assistant had it not been for Rex.

I was thinking the same thing. Rex gave him his shot. What is his motivation to throw him under the bus, or a couple of shots at Belicheck, and of course our dimwitted Bills.

I really don't care, just it shows a lack in judgment. Do you ever see Belicheck, Mike McCarthy, Fisher, and so on giving out that info. I could keep going. Andy Reid, Tony Dungy in the past, etc.

If you look beyond the "wah, Mike Pettine's coaching the Browns!" melodrama...he drops quite a few priceless nuggets of management advice in that article. Lots of his techniques for managing and teaching players apply across multiple domains, not just in sports.

Agreed- set aside the hard feelings and drama and there was some interesting content that's been ignored.

Pettine is a glorified high school coach. He's been along for the ride since day one. He's in way over his head. Browns have been a dumpster fire for years and will continue to be a dumpster fire. Nobody likes a snitch either. Between him shooting his mouth off and Johnny FB and his antics, I hope the Browns go 0-16. They will both be out of football in 2 years.

Pettine is a glorified high school coach. He's been along for the ride since day one. He's in way over his head. Browns have been a dumpster fire for years and will continue to be a dumpster fire. Nobody likes a snitch either. Between him shooting his mouth off and Johnny FB and his antics, I hope the Browns go 0-16. They will both be out of football in 2 years.

If he's a glorified high school coach, how do you explain the truly dramatic improvement in defensive performance last year?

Wannstedt??

"But there’s some coaches that each year, teach, This what we run and that’s it. They don’t ask more of their guys. To me that’s coaching. If your guys can do more and you’re not doing more, that’s on you. Or if this is your norm and you have a pretty good team and they’re just not mentally there, then (expletive) pare it back a little bit.”