MMQB article...Mike Pettine

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We need to be concerned with beating the patriots. We don't need to waste time worrying about them beating us. Cheating, playbooks, penalties or anything else is condusive with them beating us. When we beat them it will not matter.

Why are we all saying in? Do I have to go back to hash tagging everything just to show how silly it is...

We need to be concerned with beating the patriots. We don't need to waste time worrying about them beating us. Cheating, playbooks, penalties or anything else is condusive with them beating us. When we beat them it will not matter.

Why are we all saying in? Do I have to go back to hash tagging everything just to show how silly it is...

I think your "we's" are misplaced. As fans, trashing/bitching/complaining about our opponents is what "we" do. You're right, the players and coaches should focus on their gameplan to beat the pats*, but "we" aren't them.

I have no idea what the in thing is...and it is in fact silly (I would have used a harsher word).

I think your "we's" are misplaced. As fans, trashing/bitching/complaining about our opponents is what "we" do. You're right, the players and coaches should focus on their gameplan to beat the pats*, but "we" aren't them.

I have no idea what the in thing is...and it is in fact silly (I would have used a harsher word).

I guess that'd be more accurate, wrt the team vs fan. But I really hope this team embodies some real character and a backbone to take up such an attitude.

Also. In

For those here who don't look beyond the top-line stats, I recommend looking at the defensive stats to the right in the team total stats at the top -- plays, yards, and points *per drive*. Then compare the Pettine-led defense with Bills defenses from previous years (go to the top left and click on previous year and/or franchise encyclopedia). The Bills D performed extremely well last year. They were second in the freaking league in yards per drive.

http://www.pro-footb...ms/buf/2013.htm

It's really unbecoming for allegedly knowledgeable Bills fans to jump on Pettine simply because he received a head coaching offer he couldn't turn down.

Agreed. I think people are forgetting, or are just unaware, how much pressure a lousy offense puts on a defense. Despite getting all those sacks and turnovers, the defense was frequently defending a short field. The hurry up and punt offensive strategy did not help, either, as it made the time of possession even more lopsided in favor of the opposing offense.

Note that Belichick didn't actually deny anything -- just tried to deflect things onto Pettine. '"You've got to talk to Mike Pettine," Belichick said. "I don't know."' He didn't say, "that's ridiculous," or "of course not," or even, "I won't dignify that kind of accusation," but he did say, "I don't know." That's a weird thing to say if the answer is actually "no."

Frankly, it would be a weird thing if any of the 32 head coaches could honestly deny those types of questions. It's not against the rules and they should stockpile info.

Pettine is a glorified high school coach. He's been along for the ride since day one. He's in way over his head. Browns have been a dumpster fire for years and will continue to be a dumpster fire. Nobody likes a snitch either. Between him shooting his mouth off and Johnny FB and his antics, I hope the Browns go 0-16. They will both be out of football in 2 years.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Wannstedt??

"But there’s some coaches that each year, teach, This what we run and that’s it. They don’t ask more of their guys. To me that’s coaching. If your guys can do more and you’re not doing more, that’s on you. Or if this is your norm and you have a pretty good team and they’re just not mentally there, then (expletive) pare it back a little bit.”

U having a stroke?!

It's really unbecoming for allegedly knowledgeable Bills fans to jump on Pettine simply because he received a head coaching offer he couldn't turn down.

Thank you, you are wise and it's nice to see. It's even worse to see Bills fans jump on him over a comment he made about the Jests and the *Pats. Come on, people, wake up! He's helping us out.

If you look beyond the "wah, Mike Pettine's coaching the Browns!" melodrama...he drops quite a few priceless nuggets of management advice in that article. Lots of his techniques for managing and teaching players apply across multiple domains, not just in sports.

And, to go along with my point above, he's caused a mini media storm in New England and New Jersey by exposing their dirty laundry. That's a win for Buffalo by default.

Love Pettine. He's still helping Buffalo's defense even while in Cleveland. That's a trooper right there.

I'm not sure it's wise to piss off 2 of the biggest names in coaching who have large coaching trees throughout the league. Then add Rex to it, a guy whom Pettine's rolodex will have a lot of the same people in it...regardless of whether Pettine will be a good coach or not, that seems like an unnecessary hurdle to put in front of yourself.

I'm not sure it's wise to piss off 2 of the biggest names in coaching who have large coaching trees throughout the league. Then add Rex to it, a guy whom Pettine's rolodex will have a lot of the same people in it...regardless of whether Pettine will be a good coach or not, that seems like an unnecessary hurdle to put in front of yourself.

Burn down the entire AFC East but for Buffalo, I say. We have Pettine doing our dirty work, why is this a bad thing?

Honestly, this is pretty much not news at all. I'm really not sure where Pettine was going with the commentary, but it's been dismissed by many. That includes Ryan, who for the most part has had his ass handed to him by Belichick (7/11 wins head to head). The Patriots have simply put a better product on the field for a long time and they have they whiniest little girl throwing the ball around of any team in the NFL, that gets the calls. Just hit Brady. That's all I want to see this year. Knock his ass down and beat him up. Win or lose, that will make me happy.

For those here who don't look beyond the top-line stats, I recommend looking at the defensive stats to the right in the team total stats at the top -- plays, yards, and points *per drive*. Then compare the Pettine-led defense with Bills defenses from previous years (go to the top left and click on previous year and/or franchise encyclopedia). The Bills D performed extremely well last year. They were second in the freaking league in yards per drive.

http://www.pro-footb...ms/buf/2013.htm

I don't want to jump on Pettine because he received a HC job he wished to accept - I wish him well.

As many here know, I'm also a bit of a Football "stats rat" who loves to peer under the hood at the real meaning of stats.

When I look at the D stats, I see that in points given up, the Bills D was 20th in the league last year and against rushing, they were 28th in yds given up.

That jives very well with what my eyes told me when I watched games - we ran a gambling style D that "lived by the blitz, died by the blitz" and was porous against the run.

We would have several drives that were very stout - short yardage and losses, leading to a good rank for overall yards given up - but then we would have a failure that would result in a score, leading to a poor rank for the stat that matters in the end - points.

The bottom line is, if your D is giving up more points than your O can score, you will not be a winning team. And we weren't, and Pettine's D was part of that.