Bills officially for sale - let the bidding begin!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

que the early 90s comparisons.

different time now 20 years later though. How ticketing/flipping is with technology, smaller venue, overall popularity of the NFL, regionalized Rochester and Southern Ontario

This is kind of where I am at. One of my biggest pet peeves is that we act as if we are the best fans in the world but we do not support the team as such. We may be the most passionate fan base in the world but we are still flawed. That is all that I am saying. If you want to send a message to potential owners that you want the team here nothing says it louder than buying tickets.

no doubt.

thats what has made this futility extra miserable though. I have little doubt that once the Bills are AFC East/AFC contenders, the ticket issue will be "primed" just like the Sabres' situation and people will be grabbing tickets for resale purposes, causing a waiting list and perpetual demand.

With the futility, I feared we would never have a chance to get there

I think that we do have a right to hold our heads high based on the tickets the currently do sell though. Going for the 7-peat of last place finishes.

no doubt.

thats what has made this futility extra miserable though. I have little doubt that once the Bills are AFC East/AFC contenders, the ticket issue will be "primed" just like the Sabres' situation and people will be grabbing tickets for resale purposes, causing a waiting list and perpetual demand.

With the futility, I feared we would never have a chance to get there

I think that we do have a right to hold our heads high based on the tickets the currently do sell though. Going for the 7-peat of last place finishes.

God, I hadn't realized that.

I think it's a fair expectation by fans for their team to be competitive, just like it's a fair expectation for a team, if they are competitive, that fans will support them. We have a case here, where the team has not lived up to their end of the bargain, not the fans. To suggest anything otherwise is simply wrong.

I don't want to hijack this thread to get into a theoretical discussion on what fans should or should not do to prove their worth to prospective buyers, however, I do believe that Bills fans have proven to NFL owners and the league that they can and will support a team in this area. I don't think that is an issue. The only potential issues with Buffalo as an NFL city, is whether there are enough corporate dollars and whether the longer term economic outlook could create more significant population erosion to change that equation.

Edited by TXBILLSFAN

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand, attendance is a much smaller revenue maker than people think. Most revenue comes from TV ratings and merchandise sales.

It's very small compared to TV and other forms of sales. They change the rules once in awhile, but additionally, the ticket sales are split between the home and away team anyway. As far as I know right now, the home team gets 66% and the visiting team gets 34% up to the 85% threshold of what constitutes "a sell-out" - with all revenue more than the 85% split 50-50 between the teams.

http://sportsbusinessdigest.com/2012/08/the-nfl-still-not-overly-concerned-with-falling-attendance/

Frankly, that bit of information makes it exponentially LESS likely that they have any intention of keeping the team in Buffalo. Why would Tanenbaum and the Rogers family do this? Spend 400 million dollars, not have a team in Toronto, and not get much of the glory or stature associated with being an NFL owner.

Future expansion? When the time comes, they would already have experience in NFL ownership. And it's not like the team would lose money or go down in value, even in Buffalo.

This is exactly why you would get involved. I can think of at least one owner who was a minority owner before getting their own team. There may be more, IDK.

Edited by A Dog Named Kelso

I didn't say that; what I said was that the NFL doesn't need to see your protest to understand that the fans in this area don't want the team to move. If you're saying that you think they'll allow the team to move anyway (by all accounts they won't), then what good does a protest do?

I can just picture the owners sitting around...

Robert Kraft: Anyone think Buffalo fans care if that team moves?

Art Rooney: Yes, they care; they love that team

Dan Snyder: Screw 'em, let's get the NFL in Toronto

Jerry Richardson: Yeah, they probably don't care that much anyway

Roger Goodell: Look everyone...they're picketing outside St. John Fisher at Bills' Training Camp!

Dan Snyder: Oh my, I've changed my mind; let's let them stay...that guy in the Watkins jersey looks upset

Are you kidding me? Browns' fans laid down in front of the moving trucks back when they lost their team...didn't matter. If you are convinced that they're bent on moving the team then your protest won't matter.

The good news is that the NFL wants the team here, so all of this discussion is moot anyway.

NOt that I condone the protest, but it wouldn't be to send a message to the NFL, but to get public opinion, on the national level, on our side.

NOt that I condone the protest, but it wouldn't be to send a message to the NFL, but to get public opinion, on the national level, on our side.

I guess that speaks even more to the overall point: if the NFL is bent on moving the team, then they aren't going to care about public opinion regardless.

I guess that speaks even more to the overall point: if the NFL is bent on moving the team, then they aren't going to care about public opinion regardless.

Public opinion don't mean **** until it hits the bottom line.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11200179/nfl-teams-divided-6-billion-revenue-according-green-bay-packers-financials

I'm guessing the majority of this is derived from the tv contracts, although the result is a salary cap is increasing rapdiidly. It's part of the reason why I'm not sure investing in a NFL team is a clear winner. There's more to review if you're going to bid 1.1B+ for a team.

Yeah, but they already had a black eye, granted a temporary one, from Houson and Cleveland. And as much as I hate to say it, I don't see Buffalo getting a team if this one leaves.

hypothetical: the Toronto group buys the team and raises ticket prices to the league average

If the tickets fail to sell is that reason to move the team to a bigger market like Toronto at the end of the lease?

After all, what is the point of a new stadium if the tickets won't be more expensive?