Bills officially for sale - let the bidding begin!

Yes, you're missing any actual news or announcement that would suggest that this whole scenario is happening.

Other than that, good show running around like a chicken with your head cut off.

Articles and interviews about the Toronto group are everywhere right now.

What is really funny is Bills fans trying to convince themselves that the Toronto group is actually good news.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is really funny is Bills fans trying to convince themselves that the Toronto group is actually good news.

Maybe Bills fans are convinced that there is no news, and just a lot of speculation and reports?

I am surviving on the Serenity Prayer. If there's nothing we can do about it (and of course there is NOT), I'm going to (try to) stop worrying about it. Gotta stay sane somehow... If you're having trouble sleeping and in danger of losing your job because you can't focus, look it up. Or have another beverage (but preferably not on the job, which puts you in further danger). Waiting and the unknown is always the worst part.

Edited by Augie

"Articles and interviews." Does that reflect what's going on behind the scenes or does it reflect what some journalists are interested in for clicks and eyeballs and ZOMG Bon Jovi!

"Articles and interviews." Does that reflect what's going on behind the scenes or does it reflect what some journalists are interested in for clicks and eyeballs and ZOMG Bon Jovi!

All media reporting on this topic is simply looking for clicks and eyeballs at this point. A strict NDA among all parties that have any part of the process tends to do that.

Everything you read until an announcement is made is pure 100% speculation, no matter how hard people try and make you believe it is not. This includes JBJ as well as non JBJ related "news" on the matter.

Cause its the hot topic. The Bills moving would be a huge story and everyone just wants in on it. If it bleeds it leads if you will. Do you think people outside of Buffalo want to read about some local guy buying the team and keeping them in town? Not really. It's so rare a team moves...once a decade or so but teams get bought and sold fairly frequently so its no news. I tend to believe that the quiet ones are the ones positioning themselves to buy this team.

Perhaps it's been mentioned before in this thread, but the question is who the family selects to sell the team to. Do they take top dollar regardless of who submits the bid or do they take less from someone local? Pure speculation, but I think there's going to be a bid that blows people out of the water. Perhaps 1.4B+ and it might not be JBJ and crew.

They said early on this process would be concluded fairly quickly and hopefully it is so the media and fans can focus on the on-field stuff.

So it looks like the Toronto group is going to be the one that gets the team?

The missing piece for me (and why I've been so negative in this thread) is that you have local billionaires (Pegula and Golisano) who want to buy, so why in God's name would they sell to the Toronto group? How did they suddenly become the favorite?

It just seems strange that they would sell to a group that will result in a PR firestorm and constant negativity around the team when someone like Pegula is there with cash.

Also, how can you put into writing that they CANNOT move the team? We know the lease is ironclad, but it ends in 5-6 years. Once it ends all bets would be off, or else the sale of the team effectively constitutes an extension of the lease at RWS.

Am I missing something?

I don't know if this is true or not but I thought that TG added something to the sale of the Sabres that prevents their move. If so, couldn't that be the same as what the Bills do? Certainly the other party has to sign the document but I believe it can be added to a contract. There are many contracts that state certain provisions need to be maintained to keep the contract from being voided. One does not have to sign that contract if they do not wish to follow those provisions. Maybe some with a better legal background could comment.

Edited by A Dog Named Kelso

I don't know if this is true or not but I thought that TG added something to the sale of the Sabres that prevents their move. If so, couldn't that be the same as what the Bills do? Certainly the other party has to sigh the document but I believe it can be added to a contract. There are many contracts that state certain provisions need to be maintained to keep the contract from being voided. One does not have to sign that contract if they do not wish to follow those provisions. Maybe some with a better legal background could comment.

That's correct...in fact, the most recent Clippers sale had a no-movement clause included in it.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/30/report-language-in-purchase-agreement-states-steve-ballmer-will-not-move-clippers-from-los-angeles/

That's correct...in fact, the most recent Clippers sale had a no-movement clause included in it.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/30/report-language-in-purchase-agreement-states-steve-ballmer-will-not-move-clippers-from-los-angeles/

I wonder if knowledge of something like that is what forced some groups to change their stance or back out? Just thinking out loud...

I think a provision to stay is just to comfort fans. The Clippers sale was a bit different because LA is almost always going to be the bigger market.

I don't think even Pegula would sign a binding no move contract. He would then have little leverage in getting public dollars for a stadium. What if the WNY population started to nosedive again and WNY truly could not sell out the stadium? A lot can change in 10,20,30 years and an owner would be shooting themselves in the foot.

I think if anything were drawn up it would have to have provisions that the area needed to meet. This would still be OK with me as long as everything is above board and team management doesn't try to play "Major League". However for some there is always that concern.

I am surviving on the Serenity Prayer. If there's nothing we can do about it (and of course there is NOT), I'm going to (try to) stop worrying about it. Gotta stay sane somehow... If you're having trouble sleeping and in danger of losing your job because you can't focus, look it up. Or have another beverage (but preferably not on the job, which puts you in further danger). Waiting and the unknown is always the worst part.

The thing is we can do something. We should be out there protesting instead of trying to spread rumors and argue amongst each other about how your brother's gf's sister's boyfriend knows someone in the know that says the Bills aren't going anywhere. Time to be proactive. If we are on the front page of the newspapers and on sportscenter burning Bon Jovi CD's and going nuts, do you think the trust and the NFL would want to sell to them and have a huge PR problem for the next 6 yrs? No way. By doing nothing we are saying "we don't care who buys the team." Time to do something

The thing is we can do something. We should be out there protesting instead of trying to spread rumors and argue amongst each other about how your brother's gf's sister's boyfriend knows someone in the know that says the Bills aren't going anywhere. Time to be proactive. If we are on the front page of the newspapers and on sportscenter burning Bon Jovi CD's and going nuts, do you think the trust and the NFL would want to sell to them and have a huge PR problem for the next 6 yrs? No way. By doing nothing we are saying "we don't care who buys the team." Time to do something

Um, the NFL knows that we don't want the team to leave, and that people in this town would be livid if it did.

You don't need 40 people with placards to make that statement.

Um, the NFL knows that we don't want the team to leave, and that people in this town would be livid if it did.

You don't need 40 people with placards to make that statement.

It's all about presentation. They "know" nothing until they see hundreds of fans in red, white, and blue going nuts near a 20 ft bon fire with cameras rolling. Then they will know and the whole world will know

It's all about presentation. They "know" nothing until they see hundreds of fans in red, white, and blue going nuts near a 20 ft bon fire with cameras rolling. Then they will know and the whole world will know

Is that really what you think? Honestly?

I think contracts preventing relocation could get tricky, but, as Seattle found out with Clayton Bennett (moved Supersonics to OKC), you want some assurances beyond some group's word. The Clippers sale to Ballmer, who is a Seattle area resident (Seattle still doesn't have a team) requiring a non-movement clause is interesting given the comments from SRQ -- not sure how long those can be binding or what conditions can be placed on community performance to keep them enforceable, after all, in a failing market an owner would want some ability to move

I think he does. And I say if kdiggz and others believe it will have an impact (I don't) then go for it! I would suggest staying of the right side of the law though and not attempting anything that will get anyone charged with a felony like what has been mentioned in another thread..

Edited by CodeMonkey

so civil disobedience has accomplished nothing in this country? is that what you think? honestly? an event like that would be all over the papers and tv. sure they might believe that fans would be unhappy, but to see it would be another thing altogether and really drive home the point. too much complacency on this board. we shouldn't be sitting around trying to convince ourselves that they won't move. if you don't want the Toronto group to get the team then it's time to act

I think he does. And I say if kdiggz and others believe it will have an impact (I don't) then go for it! I would suggest staying of the right side of the law though and not attempting anything that will get anyone charged with a felony like what has been mentioned in another thread..

it needs to be on a larger scale than that with sponsors and media coverage. something like what The Edge has done in the past