Should the Bills Cut Dareus? - Jerry Sullivan Article

Sullivan Article   

315 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the Bills should cut ties with Dareus?

• Yes
    • No

I think all of us are reaffirming that it doesn't make sense to CUT HIM, but, it does make sense to prepare this team for the potential likelihood that this guy will get suspended for this or another transgression. What I don't want to hear, in 3 months is that Marcel did something worse and the Bills are sitting with their thumbs up their a$$es unprepared. These transgressions do not warrant dismissal or being cut, but they are WARNING SIGNS that this kid is in trouble. I'd love to hear more about what the Bills are doing NOW to protect the team from another Dareus issue.

I understand your point completely. And this isn't directed at you. But I never understood the concept of preparing for the potential likelihood that he is going to be suspended. You prepare exactly the same way. You get as good a player as you can to be the back-up. You prepare every player as much as you possibly can to be a starter in every single way the same whether Dareus is going to be there or not. The Bills re-signed Branch who is a very good back-up DT. They have an interesting player in Charles.

The only possible way to change your approach to preparing the possible event that he will be suspended is to trade for an average veteran player and overpay him to be #4 DT on this team. The Bills have three starting caliber DTs on this team. If there is an emergency, like a player is injured for the whole year or Dareus is suspended for the whole year, then maybe you go out and sign a guy like Kevin Williams. But there is no need to sign him now.

The preparation for the possibly of Dareus being suspended is to stock your roster with as much talent as you can for a reasonable price. If they didn't have Branch, I would say the team needs to prepare for the possibility that Dareus could be suspended. But I frankly don't see how they would do it differently than they are right now. They have four capable players and another, Bryant, with experience. If a veteran became available they would consider signing him to help the team if they thought he was a better option than Charles. But they already have the money spent and the depth and the young promising guy on the roster.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. Get this guy to the best psych doctor in WNY. Marrone can help him as a father figure, but get a professional to work with team doctors. Dareus has dealt with a lot of loss in his life and simply lacks the proper support system.

What is happening is that one player isnt living up to the ridiculous standard us civilians set for NFL players in our minds, and therefore a few irrational people are over-reacting.

Ridiculous standards like not getting arrested twice in under 30 days? I'm not suggesting we cut him, but c'mon hyperbole.

Cut him?? Seriously?? The guy got into trouble for drag racing and possession of spice. Ts not like he beat his wife, got Caught with guns or got into a fight out late one night a bar. These are non violent incidents. And very petty ones aswell. If he got got with real weed, would we even be having this conversation???

Thank god no one got hurt when he wrecked his car. If someone would have gotten hurt then I could almost understand cuting him.

Well...Tampa Bay cut Williams because they didn't want to deal with his off-field behavior anymore.

Dareus is walking a very thin line, and screwing up his professional career.

I don't want the Bills to be known as the "Island of Misfit Toys" - either he toes the line or cut his fat immature a$$

No way at this point do you cut him. BUT, you do start to look around to protect your interests (i.e. sign another DT, maybe explore trade options etc) AND you invest in helping keep him on the straight and narrow, similar to what Cowboys did with Dez Bryant, i.e. HIRE A BABYSITTER !

Agree with this. The thought of cutting Dareus is absurd. The guy needs help, and we need to let everything play out.

Watch him go somewhere else to mature and succeed?And get nothing for him? The Bills probably wouldnt spend the cap savings wisely and I wonder what kind of cap hit would occur. This might work if Buffalo, was ,well,, not Buffalo..if it was team in a desirable city (in the minds of players) with a well known and respected staff ,this might be motivation.

I understand your point completely. And this isn't directed at you. But I never understood the concept of preparing for the potential likelihood that he is going to be suspended. You prepare exactly the same way. You get as good a player as you can to be the back-up. You prepare every player as much as you possibly can to be a starter in every single way the same whether Dareus is going to be there or not. The Bills re-signed Branch who is a very good back-up DT. They have an interesting player in Charles.

The only possible way to change your approach to preparing the possible event that he will be suspended is to trade for an average veteran player and overpay him to be #4 DT on this team. The Bills have three starting caliber DTs on this team. If there is an emergency, like a player is injured for the whole year or Dareus is suspended for the whole year, then maybe you go out and sign a guy like Kevin Williams. But there is no need to sign him now.

The preparation for the possibly of Dareus being suspended is to stock your roster with as much talent as you can for a reasonable price. If they didn't have Branch, I would say the team needs to prepare for the possibility that Dareus could be suspended. But I frankly don't see how they would do it differently than they are right now. They have four capable players and another, Bryant, with experience. If a veteran became available they would consider signing him to help the team if they thought he was a better option than Charles. But they already have the money spent and the depth and the young promising guy on the roster.

I'm thinking number of reps you give Dareus' backup; exploring adjustments to scheme during OTA's or mandatory camp; taling to other teams about trade possibilities for Dareus or a better backup; etc etc --- nothing too elaborate, but having a plan and doing your homework

Perhaps TSW should do a poll on whether Bills fans should cut Jerry Sullivan.

No one with even half a brain does not judge Dareus actions as problematic and at best pathetic.

However, the idea that the Bills should simply cut him is an indication of this advocate having a quarter of a brain and even less of a heart.

Sully and a few posters are entitled to hold stupid opinions if they want, but really would be well advised to think this suggestion through as cutting him appears to many to be bad football, bad winning team building, and quite frankly would quite likely benefit Dareus for his stupid behavior as this Pro Bowl qualifier would likely score a significant signing bonus as an FA and at worst a contingency based huge contract.

Cutting him would be a bad idea which penalizes Bills fans for loss of his current statistical output (Poro bowl competitive even from a jerk), penalizes team building as his teammates have publicly pledged support, and would benefit Dareus financially if he got to be an DA for being immature.

Bad idea Sully.

I think all of us are reaffirming that it doesn't make sense to CUT HIM, but, it does make sense to prepare this team for the potential likelihood that this guy will get suspended for this or another transgression. What I don't want to hear, in 3 months is that Marcel did something worse and the Bills are sitting with their thumbs up their a$$es unprepared. These transgressions do not warrant dismissal or being cut, but they are WARNING SIGNS that this kid is in trouble. I'd love to hear more about what the Bills are doing NOW to protect the team from another Dareus issue.

This is a reasonable viewpoint. Not only has he shown signs of immaturity off the field, but he has been late for meetings and occasionally does not appear to bring his A game with regularity. He has tons of talent and needs to live up to it consistently.

I personally do NOT want him cut. If the team follows the Lynch philosophy and decides to cut bait now, Dareus will have very good trade value.

IMHO, he gets another year to get his act together. But he must be on a short leash right now, especially if he does something to get suspended.

FInally, those using words like 'tard', 'moron' etc regarding arguments against Dareus may want to tone it down a bit. You can choose to disagree with the notion of cutting him, but there is no place for such words in a discussion (even one that originated with a Sully article)

This is silly. Let's cut a top 6 DT. :wallbash:

This. You don't put up with this crap from replaceable players, but Dareus is a guy to whom you give more help and more chances than your typical JAG. That is just reality. Stevie Johnson is a good example. His play fell off, so due to his negatives it was no longer worth keeping him around. Top players get that extra long leash as long as they're top players. The minute they're not, they're gone.

Dareus needs to get his s?!% together before he makes too big of a mistake or his play falls off. Ditto Josh Gordon in Cleveland.

So the fact that his acts make the entire front office look out of control of their player doesn't matter? Let him get arrested /suspended for the beginning of the season for 2nd or 3rd offenses but let him play when he comes back? I can't be the only one who is getting fed up with this guy.

No, but you are in an extreme minority

Like the Dallas Cowboys...oh. Like the Bears....oh.

The Pats cut Brandon Spikes. Who are we trying to emulate?

They did not cut Spikes. He signed with the Bills as a FA. It isn't the same thing, as he could have been made an offer to return if he didn't sign anywhere else. I don't get the impression that they wanted him back or that he wanted to go back, but he wasn't cut. IMO if we cut Dareus, Belichek would pick him up in a nanosecond to take over for Wilfork. Just like he picked up Aqib Talib and Lagarrette Blount off the teams that thought they weren't worth the trouble.

The Bills could end up doing the same thing with Dareus. They can yank his 5th yr option anytime prior to March. Let him test FA if they don't want him, and pick up a comp pick. Or give him a low ball offer to return if he isn't getting offers (I expect he would). It will all depend on how he performs and whether he can get his act together. My hope is he gets it together, has another good year, and they extend him. Maybe for a lower deal than he would have gotten because of the issues. But I also don't have my hopes up.

Edited by YoloinOhio