WVAU TV Marcel Dareus arrested-edit-again

So he is gone for 4 games most likely. In these situations the team should have the option to reclaim all monies lost from signing a player that defaults on his contract.

I don't understand why we would jump to the conclusion he would be suspended for 4 games. Marshawn Lynch has had 3 strikes and STILL hasn't been suspended. Couldn't Marcell just get his lawyer to push back court dates the same way

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

According to the report I read last night, he was arrested for synthetic marijuana, also known as Spice, which was federally out-lawed a couple of years ago and then made a wide-sweeping national change to local and state municipalities. My issue with this is two-fold: the obvious, in that it is illegal, and the second is that he was using a synthetic form of marijuana in an attempt to circumvent the tests. Now, I know this for certain due to my profession (and I won't get into what that is) but it is a very different, costly analysis to test for a synthetic and for a number of months people in rehab were getting away with it because it wasn't on the normal panel of drug screens, even the 11 to 13 panel drug screens, until labs starting finding the chemical markers for it and even then it had to be specifically requested, it wasn't part of the usual processing. So, that means Dareus was intentionally attempting to circumvent the testing process by using a synthetic, Spice, in order to beat the test. Furthermore, I've personally seen several hard-core drug addicts, i.e. heroin, nearly die from just a single Spice or K-2 joint...it is dangerous, don't chalk that up to propaganda, I've seen it with my own two eyes.

To the second point about Dareus intentionally trying to beat the test, it concerns me that he is possibly struggling with some life issues and / or addiction challenges without seeking out help and talking to those close to him, or professionals on the team or in the addiction field, to cope with his underlying causes of addiction. I applaud both of the posters who have weighed in recently on their personal stories. NDBUFFCUSEFAN who is dealing with some pretty powerful challenges of his / her own and VanCity who wrote about quitting after he had an epiphany of sorts regarding its deleterious effects on his life...each person has their own path and journey, and Dareus apparently is dealing with some inner turmoil, I'm more concerned about the young man reaching out for help before it's too late. And take this from someone who knows very well, sometimes mandated intervention is the only way to get things started toward recovery. Yes, there will be those who say "You have to want it", and that's certainly true. But like a blind man who has his eyes opened, sometimes we don't know the beauty of the world around us until we see it for the first time, and mandated treatment sometimes forces a person to open their eyes and reveal exactly the life they've been missing and pain they've been carrying. Dareus is a hell of a football player, but if his personhood is wounded and damaged, none of it will matter.

With states moving towards legalizing it, the NFL is going to have revisit the issue soon.

Dareus can't wait for the away game in Denver....stoner city/state. Marrone will have to handcuff and locklup his crew before the game out there!!! Edited by bigK14094

Good move giving this fool more money.

They haven't, yet. They simply picked up his 5th year option. The 5th year money is a lot, but it is not paid out until next season and is only guaranteed for injury. They can choose to not pay him that money if he has off-the field, performance, or other related issues. This could impact his ability to get the possible contract extension with the Bills, should they choose to extend him. The word was it was a priority to do so...

Everyone is forgetting that this counts for a LOT in the state of Alabama:

No, it's been covered - I just don't think an nfl stat is going to serve time for having spice in his car. That may be the charge from the officer as it's the most accurate assessment of what happened but any reasonable DA will offer an easy way out of jail here.

This stuff was legal until a few years ago. Guy is 25 years old and basically on his vacation.

funny this happens after the 10 players that failed drug test at the combine.

My thought is next year every player at the combine light up on the first day. Once and fall all ending the testing of pot

I'm actually always surprised when somebody with something like PTSD would find relief from it. I know somebody who is OCD and all kinds of stuff and she smokes every day and say it's the only thing that calms her.....................I used to get so friggin paranoid. And, had a panic attack a couple of times.

It's (marijuana) the only thing that prevents my GF from having night terrors. Personally, it's never done jack for me. I think it just effects different people differently.

--

Regarding Marcell... I'm disappointed. Not surprised. Hopefully he is punished in a way that he learns his lesson, but not so much that it effects our chances to win on Sundays.

Edited by Dorkington

It's (marijuana) the only thing that prevents my GF from having night terrors. Personally, it's never done jack for me. I think it just effects different people differently.

--

Regarding Marcell... I'm disappointed. Not surprised. Hopefully he is punished in a way that he learns his lesson, but not so much that it effects our chances to win on Sundays.

If you love America you'll turn her in to the authorities.

Tim Graham@ByTimGraham 2h

First offense doesn't shield Marcell Dareus from possible four-game suspension http://bills.buffalonews.com/2014/05/07/first-offense-doesnt-shield-marcell-dareus-possible-four-game-suspension/ …

This is all just a smokescreen to get someone to trade up for Aaron Donald.

does TG have examples of players getting hit with a suspension for a first offense possession charge? it seems the league likes to keep the two categories separated in just about any example i can think of...

Its not a big deal normally but this kid has yet to live up to the #3 pick placing and keeps doing dumb ass stuff. Yeah I get he has had a tough life, many many others have as well and NOT get to make millions playing a game. Late for meetings now busted for pot. Jesus man grow up already.

According to the report I read last night, he was arrested for synthetic marijuana, also known as Spice, which was federally out-lawed a couple of years ago and then made a wide-sweeping national change to local and state municipalities. My issue with this is two-fold: the obvious, in that it is illegal, and the second is that he was using a synthetic form of marijuana in an attempt to circumvent the tests. Now, I know this for certain due to my profession (and I won't get into what that is) but it is a very different, costly analysis to test for a synthetic and for a number of months people in rehab were getting away with it because it wasn't on the normal panel of drug screens, even the 11 to 13 panel drug screens, until labs starting finding the chemical markers for it and even then it had to be specifically requested, it wasn't part of the usual processing. So, that means Dareus was intentionally attempting to circumvent the testing process by using a synthetic, Spice, in order to beat the test. Furthermore, I've personally seen several hard-core drug addicts, i.e. heroin, nearly die from just a single Spice or K-2 joint...it is dangerous, don't chalk that up to propaganda, I've seen it with my own two eyes.

To the second point about Dareus intentionally trying to beat the test, it concerns me that he is possibly struggling with some life issues and / or addiction challenges without seeking out help and talking to those close to him, or professionals on the team or in the addiction field, to cope with his underlying causes of addiction. I applaud both of the posters who have weighed in recently on their personal stories. NDBUFFCUSEFAN who is dealing with some pretty powerful challenges of his / her own and VanCity who wrote about quitting after he had an epiphany of sorts regarding its deleterious effects on his life...each person has their own path and journey, and Dareus apparently is dealing with some inner turmoil, I'm more concerned about the young man reaching out for help before it's too late. And take this from someone who knows very well, sometimes mandated intervention is the only way to get things started toward recovery. Yes, there will be those who say "You have to want it", and that's certainly true. But like a blind man who has his eyes opened, sometimes we don't know the beauty of the world around us until we see it for the first time, and mandated treatment sometimes forces a person to open their eyes and reveal exactly the life they've been missing and pain they've been carrying. Dareus is a hell of a football player, but if his personhood is wounded and damaged, none of it will matter.

good post. I guess I'm "making excuses" but the guy has had a really rough life. I have a background in counseling (scary I know!) and he has a lot of symptoms of someone who is depressed: weigh gain, over sleeping, and now self medicating. He always struck me as a guy who smiled alot but is really sad inside. I've been saying it for months now that the Bills should get him counseling. He's very young and no human should have dealt with what he has already been through.

And I think NFL players should be allowed to smoke pot. It offers no performance enhancement and is much better than pain pills. I know a former Bill who was the designated smokehouse.