WVAU TV Marcel Dareus arrested-edit-again

Kellen Winslow Jr. doesn't have a team to get suspended from.

It doesn't matter. The NFL still suspends players that aren't on teams, AND they even make them take drug tests. Brandon Browner almost got suspended for a year because he didn't take drug tests for the NFL while he was playing in the CFL.

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He'll get a pass because synthetic marijuana is not banned by the NFL and cannot be used as a basis for punishment.

The guy should get a pass...he just lost his brother.

Wait....will someone PLEASE get me the damn 2014 Dareus script?!

No one is calling for him to get a pass. But as a first time offender, he shouldn't face a suspension. As for legally, not sure how this qualifies as a felony?

you still get suspended for offenses even if you are a free agent.

It doesn't matter. The NFL still suspends players that aren't on teams, AND they even make them take drug tests. Brandon Browner almost got suspended for a year because he didn't take drug tests for the NFL while he was playing in the CFL.

And I learned something today.

You are confusing testing positive for an NFL banned substance with getting arrested for a felony.

For crimes related to substances, the NFL has this policy:

"A player will normally be subject to discipline up to and including suspension without pay for four regular and/or postseason games for a first violation of the law related to substances of abuse other than alcohol".

The NFL does not select the laws each of the states writes or enforces.

Then I'm sure this has been discussed here before, but that means he would have been in zero trouble or less trouble if he was in another state? Is synthetic weed a misdemeanor in New Jersey, thus differentiating the Winslow offense while we await a verdict on the exposure charge?

You are confusing testing positive for an NFL banned substance with getting arrested for a felony.

For crimes related to substances, the NFL has this policy:

"A player will normally be subject to discipline up to and including suspension without pay for four regular and/or postseason games for a first violation of the law related to substances of abuse other than alcohol".

The NFL does not select the laws each of the states writes or enforces.

Kellen Winslow Jr. was charged with Synthetic Marijuana possession. He was not suspended. This is what DeMaurice Smith had to say:

"Our drug policy is one that has strict and well-defined drugs that are banned," NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith said before the Super Bowl earlier this year. "If they are not on the list, they can't serve as the basis for discipline."

No, I was being serious.

MD was a problem last year being late for team meetings. It was enough for the coaching staff to suspend him for some playing time. Now we have him on on charges for synthetic pot (alleged). Honestly, what do you do with a guy like this? My guess is the coaching staff will wait and see what becomes of these felony charges against him.

I do know this, it's an EMBARRASSMENT to the team and everyone that supports the Bills. As a fan, I'm very disappointed with MD's choices.

Oh, well I strongly disagree. You win with talent. No one is ever going to risk their job (Marrone, Whaley, etc...) by cutting one of their most talented players over smoking pot.

I would rather watch a team full Dareus' than a team full of Hogan's. I don't cheer for the Bills to be good citizens I cheer for them to win.

Does anyone else think this is not gonna sit well with Marrone at all?

I remember the word on him coming out of Syracuse and how while turning that college around several players were up and gone because Marrone wouldnt stand for BS

Then you have Darius getting benched for being late to team meetings....

Now this.....

I think Marrone must be extremely PO'd right now and even if the league DOESNT suspend him....Marrone will to make an example

On a personal note....I am just so disapointed him him....its not that the drug itself....its that when you use a pick THAT high on a player you expect him to be a foundation of your team....that means SETTING EXAMPLE on the team......WTF Marcel!

No one is calling for him to get a pass. But as a first time offender, he shouldn't face a suspension. As for legally, not sure how this qualifies as a felony?

I don't know, ask the sheriff's department in Cleburne County Alabama. They know what they found him wiht and arrested im for a violation of the law. It doesn't matter what we think is legal.

And I learned something today.

Then I'm sure this has been discussed here before, but that means he would have been in zero trouble or less trouble if he was in another state? Is synthetic weed a misdemeanor in New Jersey, thus differentiating the Winslow offense while we await a verdict on the exposure charge?

Probably. Different states have far different laws regarding the definition of DUI o DWI, etc.

Kellen Winslow Jr. was charged with Synthetic Marijuana possession. He was not suspended. This is what DeMaurice Smith had to say:

"Our drug policy is one that has strict and well-defined drugs that are banned," NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith said before the Super Bowl earlier this year. "If they are not on the list, they can't serve as the basis for discipline."

Right, but--and I'll have to do a lap around the Internet for this--they two men violated laws enforced differently by two different states, essentially meaning the same violation is considered to have two separate degrees of severity--and that's not in Dareus' favor.

Right, but--and I'll have to do a lap around the Internet for this--they two men violated laws enforced differently by two different states, essentially meaning the same violation is considered to have two separate degrees of severity--and that's not in Dareus' favor.

Yes, but the league will let his legal situation play out, and in all likelihood Dareus will plead down to a low level misdemeanor. What's the suspension for someone who gets convicted for that? As far as I know this is Dareus' first time in trouble and first time arrests don't get players suspended.

Yes, but the league will let his legal situation play out, and in all likelihood Dareus will plead down to a low level misdemeanor. What's the suspension for someone who gets convicted for that? As far as I know this is Dareus' first time in trouble and first time arrests don't get players suspended.

I don't know. PigBen wasn't even arrested I believe and he got suspended, right?

Hard to say what King Roger will do here.

I quoted the rule--it's not for felonies only. Obviously the league has discretion to rule, but the rule certainly allows suspension even if he takes a lesser charge.