WVAU TV Marcel Dareus arrested-edit-again

I see this arrest as a positive. He did not actually do much wrong, had a quasi-legal substance, yet will help us in the negotiations for a new contract when we are ready to extend past the 5th year.

Thanks to the cops for doing this important work, arresting pot-smokers! helps our negotiation and the only ones who paid for this arrest are the taxpayers of Alabama.

Good deal all around.

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It was reported in the news less than 24 hours after he was pulled over. Lets not act like it was hidden from the team (though there have been incidents hidden that have gone unpunished so I don't think that it's much of a big deal).

He will pay a fine in Alabama and get a stern talking to in NY, but I'd be surprised if he gets any time off

From TG's article:

The NFL requires players to notify their teams about "any incident that may be a violation of this [personal-conduct] policy, and particularly when any conduct results in an arrest or other criminal charge. ... Failure to report an incident will constitute conduct detrimental and will be taken into consideration in making disciplinary determination."

It isn't about hiding. He had a duty to report. He didn't. It apparently matters.

From TG's article:

It isn't about hiding. He had a duty to report. He didn't. It apparently matters.

Remind me how quick he has to report it? Or the last player to be disciplined for non reporting?

It was reported in the news less than 24 hours after he was pulled over. Lets not act like it was hidden from the team (though there have been incidents hidden that have gone unpunished so I don't think that it's much of a big deal).

He will pay a fine in Alabama and get a stern talking to in NY, but I'd be surprised if he gets any time off

That's what I figure. No way he gets a felony charge with a minimum 1 year sentence. Someone else, perhaps. But I'd like to know what thinking led to making even possession of synthetic cannabis a felony? Producing and/or distributing it, sure.

The Bills may choose to suspend him for a game themselves. That's about the extent of the time off I can see.

Fact: The Pot damages one's understanding of verbs vs. nouns.

That is probably the only one I've given up on. I'm not going to google affect vs. effect every time. It's stupid!...........So, I went with the pothead who wrote effect, hoping he was right!

Remind me how quick he has to report it? Or the last player to be disciplined for non reporting?

I'm guessing before the employer hears about it in the press.

That's what I figure. No way he gets a felony charge with a minimum 1 year sentence. Someone else, perhaps. But I'd like to know what thinking led to making even possession of synthetic cannabis a felony? Producing and/or distributing it, sure.

The Bills may choose to suspend him for a game themselves. That's about the extent of the time off I can see.

Read here: http://alada19.com/inthenews2011/111014a.htm

Healthwise, it is safer to smoke weed than synthetics. The DEA is raiding synth labs around the country. All SEC teams test for it and it is banned.

Dareus is from Alabama and knew that this stuff is illegal to possess for almost 3 years.

I'm guessing before the employer hears about it in the press.

i dont think thats a real standard WEO.... just sayin....

the bills might be upset about it playing out like that, but im going out on a limb and saying the league policy on discipline gives a window longer than 12 hours.

i dont think thats a real standard WEO.... just sayin....

the bills might be upset about it playing out like that, but im going out on a limb and saying the league policy on discipline gives a window longer than 12 hours.

I'm betting it is the stanard. I would think the pointof this rule is to avoid exactly what happened with Dareus--a surprised team finding out by the media one of its players was busted.

Also, it seems it was at least 24 hours before he notified the Bills. Also from the TG article:

Bills communications executive Scott Berchtold said late Tuesday night the team didn't know anything about Dareus' arrest aside from what had been reported in the media.

The NFL requires players to notify their teams about "any incident that may be a violation of this [personal-conduct] policy, and particularly when any conduct results in an arrest or other criminal charge. ... Failure to report an incident will constitute conduct detrimental and will be taken into consideration in making disciplinary determination."

Didn't you say this before the Lynch suspension?

Didn't you say this before the Lynch suspension?

Yes, but Goodell was pretty new and I had no history to go off. And guns were a hot topic after Plaxico Burress.

Edited by Doc

I'm betting it is the stanard. I would think the pointof this rule is to avoid exactly what happened with Dareus--a surprised team finding out by the media one of its players was busted.

Also, it seems it was at least 24 hours before he notified the Bills. Also from the TG article:

again, its a ridiculous standard, and you are well aware the media may know before the player has time to sort out the situation with his own lawyer. i know you are well aware that the rule couldnt possibly be "report before the media does"

TG can cite that standard all he wants, and i know it exists that players have to report incidents to teams.... but without context of a window of time AND someone punished for non-reporting (which has happened for much longer than nearly a full 24 hours) it doesnt mean much.

Just saw this. Excellent piece by TG. I have to think that he's failed at least one test before. Otherwise, why go with the harder-to-detect synthetic?

Because synthetic is not banned by the NFL. You can smoke it all you want and can't be suspended for it. Players get tested once for weed around training camp (unless they are in the substance abuse program) and then not again all year. The only random tests they do are for performance enhancing drugs. Dareus can simply switch after he is tested.

Edited by Fingon

Because synthetic is not banned by the NFL. You can smoke it all you want and can't be suspended for it. Players get tested once for weed around training camp (unless they are in the substance abuse program) and then not again all year. The only random tests they do are for performance enhancing drugs. Dareus can simply switch after he is tested.

If he was that smart, he wouldn't smoke something that's a felony.

Yes, but if weed has been a problem since he was drafted, then it seems plausible that he's failed one test (which only results in a warning). Moving on to the synthetic only makes sense. I'm not saying this happened, only that it seems plausible to me. Frankly, he sounds like a classic stupid athlete.

again, its a ridiculous standard, and you are well aware the media may know before the player has time to sort out the situation with his own lawyer. i know you are well aware that the rule couldnt possibly be "report before the media does"

TG can cite that standard all he wants, and i know it exists that players have to report incidents to teams.... but without context of a window of time AND someone punished for non-reporting (which has happened for much longer than nearly a full 24 hours) it doesnt mean much.

Yeah, it may be harder to beat the leaks to the press form the police department. But it was a full day (and maybe more) before the guy called the Bills to let them know. The press is quoting the team 24 hours later that they still haven't heard from him. That's clearly flouting the rule of notification, no matter what we may argue is the "timing rule". It doesn't take a day to make that call. I would think his lawyer would call the team before he was left the police station. What context would prevent him from giving the team a head's up before another full day goes by? He knows he's suposed to, as does his agent, lawyer, etc...

These are thequestions Goodell will have, along with why Dareus chose to possess a substance that they don't test for--and why he would be carrying it in the state where it is a felony to do so?

Sounds like more than a stern talking to is coming....