WVAU TV Marcel Dareus arrested-edit-again

Yeah, it may be harder to beat the leaks to the press form the police department. But it was a full day (and maybe more) before the guy called the Bills to let them know. The press is quoting the team 24 hours later that they still haven't heard from him. That's clearly flouting the rule of notification, no matter what we may argue is the "timing rule". It doesn't take a day to make that call. I would think his lawyer would call the team before he was left the police station. What context would prevent him from giving the team a head's up before another full day goes by? He knows he's suposed to, as does his agent, lawyer, etc...

These are thequestions Goodell will have, along with why Dareus chose to possess a substance that they don't test for--and why he would be carrying it in the state where it is a felony to do so?

Sounds like more than a stern talking to is coming....

would the nfl having a 48, 72 or even 7 day window to report, for instance, effect your view that he didnt call the team the first day?

if you want to fling mud and see what sticks, without knowing what you are dealing with, harping on the fact that he is worse off because he didnt report it is a good way to accomplish that. i still havent seen you produce any window that its required in, or anyone punished for it, but that he didnt call the first day after is certainly an offense in your book? im sure the bills are irked by it, but i dont think that it amounts to anymore than that.

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ProFootballTalk@ProFootballTalk 3m

Report: Bills were already concerned about Dareus' marijuana use before arrest http://wp.me/p14QSB-9tye

might add some context to him being benched for the "late to meetings" incidents

hes so ridiculously good when hes good, that its frustrating when hes not and this might help provide context to that. while i havent beat him up in this thread, it wasnt long ago that i was complaining about him looking out of shape BEFORE his incident with his brother.

maybe this will be a wake up call, or maybe he will skate on it and think he can get away with it making the problem worse.

would the nfl having a 48, 72 or even 7 day window to report, for instance, effect your view that he didnt call the team the first day?

if you want to fling mud and see what sticks, without knowing what you are dealing with, harping on the fact that he is worse off because he didnt report it is a good way to accomplish that. i still havent seen you produce any window that its required in, or anyone punished for it, but that he didnt call the first day after is certainly an offense in your book? im sure the bills are irked by it, but i dont think that it amounts to anymore than that.

It's not mud. Just pointing out there is a duty to inform. I can't think of any reason he would wait 48, 72 hours or 7 days. I also don't know what other players reporting times were. In fact I'm sure there is no stated period as to when they have to report by, but I'm also sure it's not "whenever you feel like it". The point of the rule is to allow the team to protect themselves publicly.

Yes, but Goodell was pretty new and I had no history to go off. And guns were a hot topic after Plaxico Burress.

Yes, guns were a hot topic, but despite this, you were adamant he would not be suspended.

And now, having seen Goodell's "history" of punishment, you think he is more lenient than he was back then?

Edited by Mr. WEO

Yes, guns were a hot topic, but despite this, you were adamant he would not be suspended.

And now, having seen Goodell's "history" of punishment, you think he is more lenient than he was back then?

You thought the NFL would win the American Needle case. Obviously things don't always go like you figure. I now feel I have more of a grasp on how the 1-man judge and jury that is Sir Roger Goodell operates than I did 5 years ago. But I'm curious to see what happens to Lynch when his DUI case gets resolved.

If this gets pled down to a missy, which even you know it most likely will, and since it involves a substance that the NFL doesn't ban, there's little Goodell can do given that Marcell has no prior history. And again, the NFLPA will go to bat for him because Smith knows a large number of his players use it as a way to avoid getting nailed for natural pot AND because the NFL has no ban on it. But as usual, we'll have to wait and see.

You thought the NFL would win the American Needle case. Obviously things don't always go like you figure. I now feel I have more of a grasp on how the 1-man judge and jury that is Sir Roger Goodell operates than I did 5 years ago. But I'm curious to see what happens to Lynch when his DUI case gets resolved.

If this gets pled down to a missy, which even you know it most likely will, and since it involves a substance that the NFL doesn't ban, there's little Goodell can do given that Marcell has no prior history. And again, the NFLPA will go to bat for him because Smith knows a large number of his players use it as a way to avoid getting nailed for natural pot AND because the NFL has no ban on it. But as usual, we'll have to wait and see.

I wasn't sure of the Needle case. But I knew that if the NFL won, it would change everything about the way it did business. Harder to predict the votes of ( SC Judges. Goodell is much easier to predict. As you know, he needs no criminal conviction at all to suspend.

Along that line, and now that you have a better grasp of how Goodell thinks, what has led you to conclude he would go easy on Dareus. I don't see evidence of Goodell softening over the years.

And given we are now hearing about Dareus's chronic drug use by team insiders, don't be surprise to hear he has already failed a drug test before this recent arrest.

And, again, D Smith and the NFLPA are powerless to alter an agreed upon rule regarding arrests and convictions for drug related crimes. It dosn't matter if the NFL doesn't currently ban synthetic drugs. Do you think that will be Dareus's defense down in Bama? Of course not.

I wasn't sure of the Needle case. But I knew that if the NFL won, it would change everything about the way it did business. Harder to predict the votes of ( SC Judges. Goodell is much easier to predict. As you know, he needs no criminal conviction at all to suspend.

Along that line, and now that you have a better grasp of how Goodell thinks, what has led you to conclude he would go easy on Dareus. I don't see evidence of Goodell softening over the years.

And given we are now hearing about Dareus's chronic drug use by team insiders, don't be surprise to hear he has already failed a drug test before this recent arrest.

And, again, D Smith and the NFLPA are powerless to alter an agreed upon rule regarding arrests and convictions for drug related crimes. It dosn't matter if the NFL doesn't currently ban synthetic drugs. Do you think that will be Dareus's defense down in Bama? Of course not.

Yeah, no. A panel is much easier to predict, as I did in the NFL versus AN case. Goodell is a one-man show and his rulings have little consistency. I don't see him having any grounds to suspend Marcell when this gets reduced to just a misdemeanor, again for the stated reasons.

This is all so typical Buffalo Bills TBD fans. One of our best guys (Pro Bowl no less) gets in trouble for the first time in his 3 year career. So we want to run him out of town.

What do other teams do with guys like this?

The Seahawks extended Beast Mode while he has a DUI pending in CA. They extended Richard Sherman who failed a PED test but luckily had a hole in his pee cup :cry: . TBD would have run both these guys out of town.

Lighten up. Give the kid a chance. He is one of our best players too by the way.

This is all so typical Buffalo Bills TBD fans. One of our best guys (Pro Bowl no less) gets in trouble for the first time in his 3 year career. So we want to run him out of town.

The Seahawks extended Beast Mode while he has a DUI pending in CA. They extended Richard Sherman who failed a PED test but luckily had a hole in his pee cup :cry: . TBD would have run both these guys out of town.

Lighten up. Give the kid a chance. He is one of our best players too by the way.

exactly.

its f*cking weed. who cares if he likes to get high. he's an excellent player in the league.

alcohol has ruined far more lives than that plant--not to say marijuana doesn't have negative side effects... but just because something is "illegal" doesn't mean that it's immoral.

marrone wants him to stop getting high just like he wants 99% of the team to do something different and/or better than theyre doing.

i mean, honestly, aside from fred jackson, can you think of a single bill you wouldnt want to do something better on the field? and that's not even including everything that they do in their private lives.

the bills probably wanted dareus to stop getting high so he wouldnt fail a league-mandated drug test, not because they are the moral authorities in his life.

now, if you want to talk about him being an idiot for being caught, go right ahead. but people saying "cant believe we just locked him up!"

god. get over yourself.

exactly.

its f*cking weed. who cares if he likes to get high. he's an excellent player in the league.

alcohol has ruined far more lives than that plant--not to say marijuana doesn't have negative side effects... but just because something is "illegal" doesn't mean that it's immoral.

marrone wants him to stop getting high just like he wants 99% of the team to do something different and/or better than theyre doing.

i mean, honestly, aside from fred jackson, can you think of a single bill you wouldnt want to do something better on the field? and that's not even including everything that they do in their private lives.

the bills probably wanted dareus to stop getting high so he wouldnt fail a league-mandated drug test, not because they are the moral authorities in his life.

now, if you want to talk about him being an idiot for being caught, go right ahead. but people saying "cant believe we just locked him up!"

god. get over yourself.

Actually I thought it was synthetic weed. That has absolutely nothing in common with a plant. Think bath salts lite and you will get the picture.

All CHEATERS and plus....you think its the first time that Dareus has a problem...Anyone remember him sitting a half? Anyone remember Kyle Williams calling out a player 2 years ago? Why is it that its ok for us BILLS fan to accept this kind of sh.it?

Yeah, no. A panel is much easier to predict, as I did in the NFL versus AN case. Goodell is a one-man show and his rulings have little consistency. I don't see him having any grounds to suspend Marcell when this gets reduced to just a misdemeanor, again for the stated reasons.

The grounds are the rule that he violated. Are you saying the rule doesn't exist?

The grounds are the rule that he violated. Are you saying the doesn't exist?

No, just that the rule rarely leads to a suspension after the first offense for a non-violent offense.