WVAU TV Marcel Dareus arrested-edit-again

I agree, but he should pick his words better next time. Shame his family presence is nonexistent.

Yep - it appears the Bills are really trying to be patient in light of this but it has the feeling of having to deal with a child.

I kind of get what he is saying though.

It seems like in the NFL there are the "bad guys"-- the guys that beat their wives, traffic drugs, get in fights, shoot guns in the clubs, etc. (Think just about every guy who plays for the Bengals).

And then there are "stupid guys"-- the fun-loving, harmless sorts of dopes, that make mistakes due to really bad judgment. (I always thought Plaxico Burress was the best example of this--shooting himself in the foot in a nightclub).

Dareus is a stupid, immature guy, he's not a "bad guy."

I agree with this. And in line with that is that he is not able to take accountability. I agree when compared to a Ray Rice situation it seems mild.

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not surprised as much as disappointed. He could have thrown in a "I made a mistake."

i even understand not wanting to admit guilt but an "i get that its a bad look and i dont want to be viewed in this light and i plan to do what i need to in order to make sure it doesnt happen again"

I kind of get what he is saying though.

It seems like in the NFL there are the "bad guys"-- the guys that beat their wives, traffic drugs, get in fights, shoot guns in the clubs, etc. (Think just about every guy who plays for the Bengals).

And then there are "stupid guys"-- the fun-loving, harmless sorts of dopes, that make mistakes due to really bad judgment. (I always thought Plaxico Burress was the best example of this--shooting himself in the foot in a nightclub).

Dareus is a stupid, immature guy, he's not a "bad guy."

He said "I'm not a trouble guy". He is a trouble guy. He should just claim it's the result of CTE and then keep his mouth shut. The Commish is listening....

He said "I'm not a trouble guy". He is a trouble guy. He should just claim it's the result of CTE and then keep his mouth shut. The Commish is listening....

This. Just don't let the guy talk.

Aside from risking suspension I'm not sure what it is he needs to take accountability for. He wasn't hurting anyone.

Accountability for being arrested for a felony that could put the team in a bad spot with a suspension/jail time as a possibility? Not "things happen?" No, natural disasters "just happen." He chose to drive around with an illegal substance in his vehicle in a state where it is a felony. Things do not just "happen" just like God was not to blame for Stevie dropping the TD pass. Edited by YoloinOhio

Aside from risking suspension I'm not sure what it is he needs to take accountability for. He wasn't hurting anyone.

Given he finished the season on a rocky note with regards to personal responsibility, then moved on to an offseason felony arrest - I'd hope for more than "I like to have fun and things happen."

Even silence would've been more than that.

It's not the end of the world but he certainly doesn't sound good either.

Given he finished the season on a rocky note with regards to personal responsibility, then moved on to an offseason felony arrest - I'd hope for more than "I like to have fun and things happen."

Pot has ruined more than 1 life and it doesn't care if you are a football star. It doesn't exactly help people think straight.

This is exactly how I feel. I watched the interview on the Bills ap and just kept waiting for him to say something semi apologetic. They gave him so many chances and he just kept going to how he likes to have fun.

I'm not being over-dramatic when I say he isn't taking his NFL career, contract with the team or his own life seriously if he is messing with "spice." It has been covered in this thread how scary this drug is. Yes, he has experienced things in his life that I wouldn't wish upon my worst enemy and I sympathize with what he has had to deal with and still does deal with. But at some point, you need to grow up and be accountable for your actions. See: Josh Gordon. While Gordon has been repeatedly busted for natural marijuana that part is less frightening than synthetic, but the fact that he was in stage 3, coming off the best year of his career, breaking out as a dominant WR and about to get paid like one, he still couldn't get it together. I wish and hope and pray that Marcel does, for his own health first and foremost.

Edited by YoloinOhio

This is exactly how I feel. I watched the interview on the Bills ap and just kept waiting for him to say something semi apologetic. They gave him so many chances and he just kept going to how he likes to have fun.

He is 24 years old and going to be productive in the NFL for another decade.

This little synthetic Mary Jane nonsense is going to look silly in a decade.

Let's put this issue in perspective.

The market for a free agent Dareus is huge. The Bills need to make sure the market never opens and they kick him long term.

But yes he needs to talk to his agent and practice these press conferences. "I want to apologize to my family, my team . . . Yada . . . Yada ... Yada ... No questions"

Pot has ruined more than 1 life and it doesn't care if you are a football star. It doesn't exactly help people think straight.

Pot has also NOT ruined many lives (living in VT I know plenty of smokers that run rather large businesses just fine).

Also, re: Darius comments - yes he could have taken more accountability, but I'm pretty sure he had to have that conversation with the Dougs, so if they're happy, I'm good. Just because every athlete doesn't apologize the way we want doesn't mean they're wrong / bad / whatever - I'm sure there are legal reasons behind his comments, plus a long drawn out "apology" might just shine more light on the situation...

It happened, now lets just hope he puts it behind him and moves on so we can get to our playoff run!

Edited by Heitz

Pot has also NOT ruined many lives (living in VT I know plenty of smokers that run rather large businesses just fine).

Also, re: Darius comments - yes he could have taken more accountability, but I'm pretty sure he had to have that conversation with the Dougs, so if they're happy, I'm good. Just because every athlete doesn't apologize the way we want doesn't mean they're wrong / bad / whatever...

If it was only regular pot I wouldn't be worried.

If it was only regular pot I wouldn't be worried.

Ha - I'm with ya, that synthetic crap is the WORST! Maybe he thought is was "more legal"? Maybe his guy was out of the good stuff :D

Also, re: Darius comments - yes he could have taken more accountability, but I'm pretty sure he had to have that conversation with the Dougs, so if they're happy, I'm good. Just because every athlete doesn't apologize the way we want doesn't mean they're wrong / bad / whatever...

From the rumors we've heard the Doug's have been trying to have the conversation and have been very frustrated by his attitude in it. Evidence of such rumors being true would be the benching.

I get guys won't nail every interview but short of "yea so what, I'm still using the stuff too" I'm not sure how much more "wrong" he could've gotten it. It didn't come across young and lacking savvy as much as outwardly defiant. Something that was, again, rumored to be an issue the Doug's had with him. They have clearly been trying to send wake up calls and his comments suggest the message is still lost.

From the rumors we've heard the Doug's have been trying to have the conversation and have been very frustrated by his attitude in it. Evidence of such rumors being true would be the benching.

I get guys won't nail every interview but short of "yea so what, I'm still using the stuff too" I'm not sure how much more "wrong" he could've gotten it. It didn't come across young and lacking savvy as much as outwardly defiant. Something that was, again, rumored to be an issue the Doug's had with him. They have clearly been trying to send wake up calls and his comments suggest the message is still lost.

I do hear what you're saying. The guy needs some PR tips - anyone ready to open a Buffalo media consultancy to the stars?

He is 24 years old and going to be productive in the NFL for another decade.

This little synthetic Mary Jane nonsense is going to look silly in a decade.

Let's put this issue in perspective.

The market for a free agent Dareus is huge. The Bills need to make sure the market never opens and they kick him long term.

But yes he needs to talk to his agent and practice these press conferences. "I want to apologize to my family, my team . . . Yada . . . Yada ... Yada ... No questions"

Just to be clear I really like Dareus and am usually the last person to worry about character concerns. I just wanted to hear, "I'm not perfect and have made mistakes. This is a legal matter and I can't really comment on it any further. I just want to move forward and be a better man."

I still think that he is going to be a really good player. I just want him to grow up some.

Yeah, would have liked to hear a mea culpa because he's in-line for a huge contract extension, but he was telling Sir Roger to focus on the real troublemakers. Hopefully if they re-sign him, they include language protecting them should he get suspended in the future.

Ha - I'm with ya, that synthetic crap is the WORST! Maybe he thought is was "more legal"? Maybe his guy was out of the good stuff :D

Synthetic is not banned by the NFL and is not tested for. Dareus can smoke it all he wants and won't piss hot. Not to mention there is no precedent for suspending players for synthetic marijuana (despite several arrests) and the NFLPA says you can't even suspend for it.

Synthetic is not banned by the NFL and is not tested for. Dareus can smoke it all he wants and won't piss hot. Not to mention there is no precedent for suspending players for synthetic marijuana (despite several arrests) and the NFLPA says you can't even suspend for it.

Again, the only way I can see him being suspended is if it remains a felony charge and therefore potentially falls under the personal conduct policy. But I'd bet good money it gets reduced.

Again, the only way I can see him being suspended is if it remains a felony charge and therefore potentially falls under the personal conduct policy. But I'd bet good money it gets reduced.

Oh, it will be reduced. Dareus was a superstar for Saban and he was arrested in Bama. The cop that arrested him will be the one suspended.